[IC]Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

To Thrull: Fair enough. You staying here or coming with us?

To Drowning-Squid: Offer sounds good to me. Going with you if the others will.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

She blushes - at least, you can think of no other way to express the shade of purple that flushes over her face - and a tentacle hides her mouth. *It is a quest!*
"Ah yes, quests. Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles... Sure, there's danger involved, and rewards, but heck, sometimes the experience itself is its own reward. Especially when you've got some good company."
Many of the fungus-people stop and stare at Orr in wonder. One or two bring out sheets of paper, and appear to be taking careful notes. After he has taken a few bites, one thing and somewhat timid-voiced fungusman with a tall green cap comes forward and bows slightly, then asks... "What do you call that?"
Orr scratches his head. "Honestly I haven't thought about it. Umm... 'meatwich' is the first thing that comes to mind."
Darth Rabbitt wrote:Offer sounds good to me. Going with you if the others will.
"I'm down for it."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:To Thrull: Fair enough. You staying here or coming with us?
The rat nods. "I do not feel I have fully repaid you for freeing me from my imprisonment...and I would like to return to more familiar climes."
Orr scratches his head. "Honestly I haven't thought about it. Umm... 'meatwich' is the first thing that comes to mind."
Orr sees several of the fungus-men taking notes. One of the sprouts runs off, and fairly soon a pair of beefy-looking fungus men return with a foot-powered tablesaw. One of the fungus men begins to take charge of the whole experiment....

The Eldest Bro saunters over, holding a wide-rimmed glass full of smoking liquid and what appears to be a pickled eyeball on a stick. *The Water Road is not without danger. All waters flow through it - from the frigid rivers of Hell to the the moon-streams of the Fae realm. We would appreciate it if you allowed us to provide some supplies for your journey.*
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes manages a sharp-toothed smile, or what equivalent his snout can manage.

To Thrull: Glad to have you with us.

To the Eldest Bro: Never say no to free stuff.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

To Archimedes, Malogos and Thrull: "Think we should mention Draghul, the prophecy and/or that we spared the eggs to the Eldest Bro?"

To Thrull: "Yeah, glad you'll still be around."

To Eldest Bro: "Thanks for everything. Especially unpetrifying me."
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Good question. What do you think, Malagos?
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Malagos grimaces and rubs his head. Fuck. I'd mention the dragon and Draghul, these people live in the area and deserve to know at least..
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Then let's do it, Archimedes replies. Either of you want to do the honors? Not a great speaker.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Sure."

"A few things we forgot to mention earlier. Draghula's possibly significantly more powerful mother, Draghul is presumably still alive in the cave, albeit asleep at the moment. We got this information from the dragon we mentioned earlier, who turned out to be her... ex. He said, ' She's supposed to sleep until 'The Chosen Ones begin the Final Battle' or some shit '. The dragon took custody of her eggs, and said something about giving them a proper education."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The Elder-fungus nodes its sagely cap.

*Ah, a rumspringa-drake. No wonder Draghula had been so active lately - but now that she is gone, we should have no trouble. None of you ventured into the Bone Catacombs beneath her lair, correct? Then the warding is still intact.*

In a mental whisper, he adds. *The prophecy is usually why we avoid associating with 'Hero'-types that drag destiny along behind them like a screaming toddler. Always looking to stir up an elder evil.*

Brunch ends, and the Eldest Bro begins directing the compiling of supplies. These amount to a goodly pile of rations and beer, new clothes - especially high water-proof boots and oilskin capes and cloaks - wire pads, brushes, and oils to keep Malagos from rusting, a kind of protective barding for the dog and pack-lizards, and a largish shallow-draft boat (large enough for the entire party to squeeze onto fairly comfortably) mounted on a pair of cartwheels for them to drag, along with oars, extra caulking supplies, and a supply of tindertwigs (25).

Dying-Squid says that the journey must begin at sunset, at the ford of the river that runs past the village, which gives you all time to sort out any loose ends or final preparations.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes checks his triskelion to make sure that the wax has held from yesterday's adventure. If it hasn't, he heads out to get some more.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The wax appears intact.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

(I can't really think of anything)

Orr will just chill for a while.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Malagos wasn't aware he was in danger of rusting, but decides to heroically take a nap anyway.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

At the Sundown Hour
You gather at the edge of the river, the clear water rushing past, the sun a sliver of brighter glow on the horizon. Just before it dips below, there is a green flash, and Drowning-Squid bends down to just barely touch the water...and lifts, pulling it aside like a curtain.

Revealed to you is not the river bed, but like a tunnel of air beneath a sea, the floor lined with black silt - a sea that was not there a moment ago; even if she had simply parted the waters, you should see only the river bed...but this opening has depth to it. A salty exhalation comes from the tunnel in the water, and you see shapes moving in the walls of water along the walls of the tunnel - some thin and long, like serpents; others great shadows with fins and the intimation of teeth; and a few you cannot but guess at.

Drowning-Squid's eyes flash, nictating membranes blinking sideways over her great orbs. She gestures you forward. "Hurry-hurry. It will not be open for long, and we have far to go."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes sniffs the air carefully before heading any further, lest there be any new scents that draw his interest and/or require further investigation.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Malagos is clearly uneasy about the whole thing, but takes the first step into the tunnel.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The water road smells of...water. Most folks pay little attention to the differences, but to Malagos' keen sense of smell, he can smell every variation of it - sea brine and spring water, the runoff of a mountain stream, the fly-specked stillness of an alley puddle, and everything in between. Drowning-Squid catches the iron half-minotaur's eye, the tentacles on her head swaying on their own.

"It is the All Blue. All waters come together here. Come."
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will have switched to waterproof clothing and put the barding on his dog and lizards.

He takes a deep breath, exhales, and then steps in.

To animals: "Come on then, nothing to worry about."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Without much further ado, your group makes their way into the Water Road; Drowning-Squid takes up the rear, and closes the "curtain" of water behind you.

The result is not unlike being underground - save that the "walls" are made of liquid water, beyond which can be seen underwater scenes - and the air is so damp and choking you imagine a fish would have no difficulty breathing down here (indeed, a couple of lung fish are scurrying along the edge of one "wall" and disappear around a corner). The "roof" varies considerably, from so low you would have to crawl to the height of a three story building, and light comes through in patches a rippling phosphorescence as of sunlight through deep water.

The "road" itself is a twisting network of paths, very much like the galleries of a natural cavern carved out by water. The floor underneath is black silk, most of it packed and littered with sea shells and detritus - water-carved wood, barnacl'd wreckage of ancient ships, the occasional glint of bone... You stand now at a crossroads of sorts, where four such "paths" meet.

Drowning-Squid raises her face and seems to...not quite sniff the air, but to breathe it in. Her face has a wet sheen to it now that seems much healthier than up above, her graceful movements a little faster and more energetic. She pulls off a glove, revealing slender webbed fingers, and runs a hand along one "wall" - sending a trail of ripples along it - then cups her hand and brings it to her mouth. A bright pink slip of tongue is visible briefly as she tastes the water. She circles around, tasting each wall in turn.

"Four ways," she says. "We must find the water you seek from all the rest. These two paths" she indicates two of the roads "are closest; this way is Freshwater, toward the river; this way is Saltwater, toward the Boiling Sea. They meet together, but the roads are different, dangerous. Which way do you wish to go?"
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Hey guys, where we were going again? Kinda lost it with the repeated earth drownings, petrifications, etc over the past few days.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Well, I thought we were headed to the river near where we first landed (uh, some distance <direction> from the now contaminated healing spring, unless the Scaly Ones have moved from there? Do you know anything else about these roads?"
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, Archimedes agrees with Orr, nodding his iron head. Thought we were going to the river, too.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"The river leads to the sea," Thrull the rat says, stroking a whisker. "Going to one leads to the other. She has found two possible paths. We must choose one: freshwater or saltwater. Both carry dangers, for we are not the only creatures here...all life that lives in the water comes together in the All Blue."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Freshwater, Archimedes suggests. Sounds like an easier path. Of course, we can't keep our guard down...