Tell me about Australia

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Tell me about Australia

Post by OgreBattle »

I found some old thread where it was mentioned that Sydney has a 15m wall with a giant gear-gate protecting it, is that for real?

There was also a mention of how Aboriginals get killed in hit and run accidents (intentionally, does the driver back up on them?) and white Australians go unpunished.

All in all there seems to be many Denners from Australia who all have horrible stories of life there.
LeadPal
Apprentice

Re: Tell me about Australia

Post by LeadPal »

OgreBattle wrote:I found some old thread where it was mentioned that Sydney has a 15m wall with a giant gear-gate protecting it, is that for real?
Sure, here's a photo.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Is that one of those Australian spiders I keep hearing about?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I think it's important to remember that Australia hates you. It has hated you since before you were born. And it wants nothing more than for you to die. All of you. It has bred nightmares for no other reason than this.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Ancient History wrote:I think it's important to remember that Australia hates you. It has hated you since before you were born. And it wants nothing more than for you to die. All of you. It has bred nightmares for no other reason than this.
I just heard a story this morning about a guy in California who got hit on the head by a seed pod from a tree that caused serious brain damage. The thing was 16 pounds, and they can grow as big as 40 pounds. Then, I find out the trees in the park aren't indigenous to the region; they're from Australia.

My first thought was "Of course Australia has murder trees."
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Billy Connolly did a great stand-up set about the perils of Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVPNf2zAVpI
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

It's the stromatolites found in Shark Bay that disturb me. Those semi-living rocks spent hundreds of millions of years pumping deadly poison into the atmosphere in an attempt to end all life on earth that came disturbingly close to success. If not for our ancient ancestors figgering out how to breathe the poison in question, they would have gotten away with it too.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
nockermensch
Duke

Re: Tell me about Australia

Post by nockermensch »

OgreBattle din't wrote:Why does it wear the mask?
Well, consider me disappointed.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

RobbyPants wrote:
Ancient History wrote:I think it's important to remember that Australia hates you. It has hated you since before you were born. And it wants nothing more than for you to die. All of you. It has bred nightmares for no other reason than this.
I just heard a story this morning about a guy in California who got hit on the head by a seed pod from a tree that caused serious brain damage. The thing was 16 pounds, and they can grow as big as 40 pounds. Then, I find out the trees in the park aren't indigenous to the region; they're from Australia.

Ooh. What kind of tree was it?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Australia has many kinds of murder tree. Some of them explode.
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Billy Connolly did a great stand-up set about the perils of Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVPNf2zAVpI
Modern Family had an episode where the family went to Australia and Australia kept fucking up Phil.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

Maj wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:

Ooh. What kind of tree was it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_bidwillii
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, trees that drop heavy things on you (admittedly, plenty of countries have trees that do that), trees that explode, trees that sting you to death. But it's not like people just have those in their back yard.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Koumei wrote:But it's not like people just have those in their back yard.
Oh why, why not? :cool:
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Koumei wrote:Yeah, trees that drop heavy things on you... But it's not like people just have those in their back yard.
...er...

I keep a sign pinned to it to tell people not to stand there.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Okay, yes, the heavy things part. But not the explosive trees (well, apart from ones that explode in fires, but if your house is in a bushfire, you have bigger problems) or the trees that sting you to death.

I just don't see the point on focusing on the trees that drop heavy things, and talking about how weird and Australian that is, when coconut trees are a thing.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Koumei wrote:I just don't see the point on focusing on the trees that drop heavy things
Coconuts probably kill more people through sheer ubiquity alone, but you've clearly never handled a bunya pine cone before, they are like spikey bowling balls only bigger. Our tree, just a baby really, once dropped 33 in one season. When they hit a nearby retaining wall it makes a sound like a gunshot.

Though I'd say the most deadly plant in our garden is probably the local tree that gives you heart attacks...
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK GUYS
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
erik
King

Post by erik »

But at least the water's safe, right?

Right?

And of course these guys,
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

The things I know about Australia I've learned from White Wolf.
Rage Across Australia wrote: Australia's distance from England, and the vast spaces early settlers had to traverse in order to visit one another, encouraged self-sufficiency among the Australians. The Australian tradition of mateship was thereby founded. A mate is one's best friend, someone for whom you would die and who would definitely die for you. Mateship originated in the harsh conditions of the outback, when a man had to depend on his mate for all things. Mateship has been described as sexist and homoerotic, an expression of non-physical love between men who have been taught to believe that any form of tenderness, even toward a best friend, is unmanly and un-Australian. The bond of mateship endures today, even between total strangers, whos use of the word with one another indicates that they are men united against the world, and often against women. "Mate" is a code word, admitting its user to a secret society, a fraternal order. Just as mateship suggests all men are equal, it also suggests women are unequal. Derision and exclusion sometimes extend to anyone who is perceived as different, whether sexually, physically or racially.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

ckafrica wrote:
Maj wrote:Ooh. What kind of tree was it?
Thanks! I was reading about how durian trees are more deadly than sharks the other day, but I know durian isn't an Australian native. :wink:
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Stinging tree: Dendrocnide moroides
Wikipedia wrote:Stories tell of horses jumping off cliffs after being stung, and supposedly one Australian officer shot himself to escape the pain of a sting.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Maj wrote:
ckafrica wrote:
Maj wrote:Ooh. What kind of tree was it?
Thanks! I was reading about how durian trees are more deadly than sharks the other day, but I know durian isn't an Australian native. :wink:
Yeah, ckafrica linked the one I mentioned. Durian trees are crazy, too. Bonus points: the fruit it drops smells horrendous (and is often banned on mass transit in countries where they're found). You're right that they're not from Australia.

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

:lmao: I've eaten durian. I don't plan on repeating the experience. :wink:
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Yet most of it's wildlife was getting devastated due to an infestation of rabbits.