[3.x]Call to Adventure: Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

We seem to be getting weirder and weirder friends.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Ancient History wrote:At the mention of a container, Orr receives a strong impression of the color red, and the cone seems to shiver. Then there is a complicated series of impressions
A solid green circle, which seems to rotate on its vertical axis, like a coin, to show a red side, which shakes strongly from side to side, and then rotates back, showing the solid green color once more. The circle then rotates on its horizontal axis, and it appears to lengthen and stretch, becoming not a circle but a solid green cone, which becomes translucent like glass and shows a brain hovering within. The cone then reverses its rotation, becoming again a solid circle of green, which then grows to become the solid field of green from before.
Is the solid field it ends on bottle green?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Yes. It begins and ends at bottle green.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

And yes, Archimedes was actually knocked down.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Archimedes admits as he attempts to sniff out his attacker
Has Archimedes come across any scents or has he detected nothing?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Nothing out of the usual.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

OKay, I'm running out of inbox space, so for the time being we'll handle Orr and Archimedes' stuff in the main thread - just spoiler it for right now. That means that Darth, you can post what you last sent me to the main thread, and we'll work from there.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Do Orr and Archimedes know where each other are now?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Yes. I don't know why you kept talking to the rat. The rat is back with Malagos.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Ancient History wrote:
Yes. I don't know why you kept talking to the rat. The rat is back with Malagos.
Durr. I really fucked up.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Sorry, another unexpected trip down to FLorida.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Anything visible with darkvision?

Haven't opened the spoiler posts, not sure if I am allowed to now.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

You're allowed to open the spoiler posts. Darkvision reveals an earthen burrown about ten feet wide and eight feet tall, relatively level, the clay-like walls shot through with roots. One one wall is carved Orr's message.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

No exits?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I'm having trouble ajudicating what Orr's action accomplishes because I'm not sure what his intent is. The stone object is half-buried in the earthen floor of the tunnel before the chamber; the floor of the chamber itself is raised up about twelve inches from the floor of the tunnel. So I'm not sure what he hopes to accomplish.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Intent is to reveal more of the object. Okay, so 'lowering the earth' doesn't make sense so I'll revise the action to shifting the earth the stone is half buried in away from the stone itself.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Darth, could you wave your detect magic cone around a bit and try to narrow down the object's projected area on the wall/floor/ceiling?
Image says wall, but could also be the floor or ceiling, and could you do this both horizontally and vertically to get an estimate of where to displace earth from, for us to be able to see it.

You could also do it from different positions and heights, which could be used to pinpoint an exact location for at least part of it (including how far it is beyond any wall, floor or ceiling) if it's a small object.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu May 12, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

It is near the back wall of the chamber, about eight feet away directly in front of you, and lying above the surface in the grassy debris. You cannot see it, because it's hidden by the grass, but Malagos can see the magic aura clearly.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Oh, okay. Was wondering why we couldn't see anything. Does he know what school any of the auras are from?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The fainter auras are too faint to tell school. The stronger aura is transmutation.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

While I do not like to dictate the actions of player characters, or what they can and cannot do, it is perhaps possible I have no adequately described the scene. So let me be clear:

The tunnel is about eight feet tall and varies between eight and ten feet high, and is burrowed out of packed soil. The chamber you are facing is raised about one foot higher than the tunnel floor, but is of the same general height, and is roughly circular, with a diameter of about ten feet. On this raised surface is a large amount of grassy debris, which is covering several large, round objects. The object with the stone hand was buried in the tunnel floor immediately before the chamber, the object with the magical aura is near the back wall of the chamber, roughly directly opposite where the PCs are standing.

I don't like to tell my players they cannot take an action, but I fully understand the frustration when I let them do something and it doesn't work because either I haven't explained the set-up sufficiently, or they haven't understood the basic physics and dimensions involved.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Does Malogos know anything more about the eggs or the creatures inside them?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Nope. Generally reptilian, large, and possibly draconic but probably not a true dragon is as much as the skill check gives.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Has Thrull heard Archimedes' question?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

...he had not. (I wondered why everybody was so quiet.)