The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
[3.x]Call to Adventure: Secrets of the Fire Swamp
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: [3.x]Call to Adventure: Secrets of the Fire Swamp Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The call has gone out in the city of Veronova, for adventurers to brave the Fire Swamp, a dire place of peril peopled by strange beasts and terrible perils...for none have ever returned from that land, though vessels along the coast have seen overgrown ruins of prodigious size, and ancient legends tell of a time when a mighty nation lived there in the golden age of the world, before the War of the Gods cast their kingdom into ruin. But the past is a matter for scholars and sages; now is the present, where wealth and glory await for those with the skill and strength to seize it!

The Premise
One part sandbox, one part dungeon crawl. Your adventure will begin on the edge of the Fire Swamp, with your ship crashed and your group the only survivors; there's ruins to explore if you want to. What you do there is entirely up to you. The arc words for this game are "no railroading." If you sign up, you start out exactly where I've mentioned but you're entirely on your own from there. No prophecies or anything.

The Rules
A few things are a little different about this game. First, I'm going to do the open-ruleset d20 thing again. So that means that we begin with the System Reference Document ( http://d20srd.org ), and any class, feat, rule, etc. in there is open for use. Players may also choose to import any D&D rule, class, feat, spell, etc. from a published sourcebook, magazine, web supplement, etc. with the following guidelines and restrictions:

1) Any book/magazine/source you use, I get to use as Mister Cavern. Any book/magazine/source you don't use, I don't get to use either.
2) Any rule that would affect the other players' characters, they get a vote on whether it goes in the game. Majority rules.
3) No straight-up fan material.
4) No material not in the English language.
5) Anything from a related d20 system (Pathfinder, True20, Tome, etc.) may be allowed, but goes up to a vote from the rest of the players. Majority rules.

Second, everyone uses Gestalt Characters, starting at Level 3.

For anybody that wants to play a race with Level Adjustment (like Drow or whatever), the starting Effective Character Level is 3. So, for example, Drow characters have Level Adjustment +2. So a build for a Drow Rogue/Wizard might be:

1st level: Drow LA +1 / Wizard 1
2nd level: Drow LA +2 / Wizard 2
3rd level: Rogue 1 / Wizard 3

Edit: Default attribute generation is [url]point-buy[/url]. You have 40 points.

Roll your own hitpoints. I trust you.

Starting XP is 3,120.

Starting wealth is 2,700 gp for all characters, spend as you would - including magic items.

Also, in case you think this is stupidly overpowered, expect some of the monsters to have class levels too.

Finally, combat tends to bog down the game a lot in play-by-posts, so I would like to request that players script default actions for their character's first three rounds of combat. I'm up for debate on that one, but honestly I think it would make things go faster. If for whatever reason the PC can't perform an action in the script, I'll ping the player about what they want them to do.

The Golden Rule
This is designed to be a fun game, to allow players to play whatever they want. If that means munchkinning out, awesome. If that means I get three different flavors of winged elf, awesome. I do not require players to play nice with each other, and don't care what alignment/classes/etc. anyone goes for. I want to see people crawl through a fire swamp and have fun. If you're up for it, let's hear it.

Current Sources in Play
http://d20srd.org
Player's Handbook (3.5)
Player's Handbook II
Dungeon Master's Guide (3.5)
Monster Manual (3.5)
Monster Manual IV
Complete Arcane
Complete Champion
Complete Mage
Complete Warrior
Heroes of Horror
Libris Mortis
Magic Item Compendium
Magic of Incarnum
Player's Guide to Faerun
Races of the Dragon
Shining South
Spell Compendium
Tome of Battle

Bastards and Bloodlines
Dragonlance Campaign Setting

Dungeonomicon
Elemental Siphon
Simplified Tome Armor
Tome: Races of War
Tome of Fiends
Tome of Virtue
Tome Errata

Dragon Magazine #297
Dragon Magazine #313
Dragon Magazine #323
Dragon Magazine #325
Dragon Magazine #350

Heroes
Archimedes Killmaster, White Dragonspawn Half-Minotaur Lesser Zenthryri, Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Tome Monk 1/Sorcerer 2 (Darth Rabbit)
Orr, Unseelie Fey Choker Elemental Siphon 3(radthemad4)
Malagos, Drow Necromancer 3/Warlock 1 (CapnThePirateG)

Roll of the Fallen
Vian, Human Tome Fire Mage 3/Wilder 3 (Dominicus) [Killed by a mutant swamp-orc]
Alim, Beguiler Conjurer 3/Wizard 3 (Relentless Imp) [Killed by a swamp-orc]
Dragaan, Dragonborn Aasimar Sha'ir 3/Tome Monk 1/Tome Soulborn 2 (AcidBlades) [Killed by a trap]
Clara, Lesser Aasimar Revenenant Crusader 3/Cloistered Cleric 3 (maglag) [Vanished into the swamp.]

Provisional/Back-Up Heroes
OgreBattle
vagrant

Last edited by Ancient History on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:26 am; edited 18 times in total
vagrant
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm game. Gonna have to think about what I wanna play though.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Darth Rabbitt
King

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Totally joining this.
radthemad4
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Throwing my hat in.

What do you mean by no straight up fan material if Tome is okay?

Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth Rabbitt
King

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Presumably Tome is an exception.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So how exactly would tome feats be used in conjunction of well, everything else. Do you just mean feats or what?

I plan on rocking Carthaz Conduit/Elemental Siphon.

Last edited by AcidBlades on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
radthemad4
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, Tome of Necromancy/Fiends, Dungeonomicon and Races of War. What about community made Tome classes, or Frank's classes that aren't part of any of the above?

Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
maglag
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Greatly interested, planning a crusader/cloistered cleric.
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

radthemad4 wrote:
Throwing my hat in.

What do you mean by no straight up fan material if Tome is okay?

If you want Tome, it goes up for a vote about whether or not to include it. Majority rules.

[/edit]And please be specific about what you want and include a link when you put it up for vote, please.

Last edited by Ancient History on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
vagrant
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do you guys want Races of War? Y/N?

Y
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
AcidBlades
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carthaz Conduit/Elemental Siphon can be found here.

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51125

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51311

Though that sounds like it counts as "Fan Stuff" So I unno.
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kaelik's fan-classes are fan material, yeah. (So are my fan-classes, as far as that goes; fair is fair.)
radthemad4
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kaelik's Conduit is a revision of the one in Tome of Fiends. Also, you made fan classes?

Anyway, I vote yes for RoW feats. So, no community made scaling feats allowed?

Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
So, no community made scaling feats allowed?

Nope. Also, remember that anything in any book or source y'all use is open game for NPCs, too.
vagrant
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Would it be possible to refluff the Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror as good? Creating undying minions (Eberron Campaign Setting) and positive energy channeling and stuff?

-DrPraetor
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the majority of the players vote yes, I have no problem with it.
Darth Rabbitt
King

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If we're going with Playing With Fire morality you don't even need to do that to make it good. But I'd have no problem with a positive energy channeling variant of the Dread Necromancer.
vagrant
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cool. My concept is an elf-y elf who creates Deathless and I wanna get into Bladesinger. Soooper CG elfy elf. A real elf's elf. So far, I'm thinking (if RoW=0) Duskblade/Positive-energy Dread Necro CG Sun Elf. If RoW is in, then Fighter/Positive-energy Dread Necro.

-DrPraetor
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

radthemad4 wrote:
Kaelik's Conduit is a revision of the one in Tome of Fiends.

Okay. Well, if you want it, majority vote as normal and in it goes.

Quote:
Also, you made fan classes?

Yes, about a decade ago I adapted the Journeyman to d20 and some other silliness. Long forgotten.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is:

Sha'ir 1/Tome Monk 1
Sha'ir 2/Paladin 1
Sha'ir 3/Paladin 2

Kosher or is it verboten?

Also how is stats done and gilds that we gets?

Last edited by AcidBlades on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can a drow necromancer wizard/fuck if I know show up and throw down with you all? Would probably be grabbing Lord of the Uttercold.

EDIT: Other side is probably cleric.

Last edited by CapnTthePirateG on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AcidBlades wrote:
Is:

Sha'ir 1/Tome Monk 1
Sha'ir 2/Paladin 1
Sha'ir 3/Paladin 2

Kosher or is it verboten?

Kosher, as long as a majority of players vote to allow Tome Monk.

Quote:
Also how is stats done and gilds that we gets?

I should have specified, but roll 4d6 and drop lowest by default. You get attribute bonuses as normal as you go up in character level. Ignore starting cash; you have 2,700 gp to spend.
vagrant
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can we...do point-buy? Instead?

-DrPraetor
AcidBlades
Journeyman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/38424/

I got 10, 10, 10, 11, 13, 18
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

vagrant wrote:
Can we...do point-buy? Instead?

Fine by me. Just get everyone to vote on it. Everyone happy with that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: