[3.x]Call to Adventure: Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I've been limiting myself to Tome of Necromancy, Fiends, Dungeonomicon and Races of War. I don't mind anyone using whatever though, really. Do whatever you want, AH.

Is Unearthed Arcana stuff allowed (i.e. flaws, traits, similar?) How would flaws interact with scaling feats (or would they not)?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Any Unearthed Arcana stuff in http://d20srd.org is allowed by default; this includes flaws and traits. If you want anything from a published book that's not in the SRD, that's fine too... just say that you're using it, and we'll add it to the list of source materials in play. As far as interaction goes (some of UA subsystems can be wonky), we'll work it out on a case-by-case basis. In principle, I'm not opposed to Flaws allowing you to take Tome Scaling Feats, for example (keeping in mind that you ECL is 3, and you may well not survive to see 4). Just be aware that the NPCs might take scaling feats too...and monsters can also have class levels in this game.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Hey AH, are you okay with someone playing a Beguiler (Shining South)?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

<looks it up> Magical rodent with constant True Seeing (su). Sure, that's fine.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Oh I remember that one. I do like some of the stuff it does. I think the way it handled Fire Burst is better than my own approach. Also his wording on Piercing Flames is better. As well as the rewording.

Beyond that I like the default FM well enough. I'm happy with just a few tweaks.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Bonus points if your class is Beguiler.

Also possible: A Warforged Scout Scout named Scout.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Can I use my Charisma bonus in place of Wisdom for will saves? The way I have always done it in my games is give people the option to take the Iron Will feat but instead of the normal +3 benefit they can opt to swap out their Wisdom bonus for their Charisma bonus.

Just wanted to make sure that this is okay with you. Beyond that I think I am done with my sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=517596
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Dominicius wrote:Can I use my Charisma bonus in place of Wisdom for will saves? The way I have always done it in my games is give people the option to take the Iron Will feat but instead of the normal +3 benefit they can opt to swap out their Wisdom bonus for their Charisma bonus.
Isn't there a feat in Complete Adventurer that allows you to do this? I hate to homerule something where a legitimate option already exists.
Just wanted to make sure that this is okay with you. Beyond that I think I am done with my sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=517596
If you could give me a list of the books/magazines/Tome links you used, that would be super.

My only qualm with your character sheet is that you seem to have missed the part where you have 2,700 gp to spend, whereas you seem to have spent closer to 10,000 gp.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Ancient History wrote:
Dominicius wrote:Can I use my Charisma bonus in place of Wisdom for will saves? The way I have always done it in my games is give people the option to take the Iron Will feat but instead of the normal +3 benefit they can opt to swap out their Wisdom bonus for their Charisma bonus.
Isn't there a feat in Complete Adventurer that allows you to do this? I hate to homerule something where a legitimate option already exists.
The feat is Force of Personality. It only applies to Will saves vs. mind-affecting effects, though.

I'm considering playing an Empyreal Sorcerer, if that's OK. As per the first post I figure this goes up to vote.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I would be much happier if Paizo material never entered any game I want to take part in.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'm only cool with Pathfinder if we don't use Traits, Favored Class Bonuses, and their CMB/D system. I won't object to feats every odd level though.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:
Ancient History wrote:
The feat is Force of Personality. It only applies to Will saves vs. mind-affecting effects, though.
That is the one. None of the Non-Tome feats really interest me, scattered as they are. Instead, I figured since the first benefit of a Tome feat is the equivalent of a non-Tome feat we could swap it out without stepping out of bounds.

As for the money, sorry. I was using this: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=354300#354300

Figured we were using this chart but if we are not that is fine. Are minor items still in the game? I could start with a single minor item in that case. Otherwise... I guess I will pick something from the SRD.

Also, added the links you asked for.
Last edited by Dominicius on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Mostly I just want a Sorcerer that casts off of Wisdom. I don't give a fuck about Pathfinder otherwise, and if I can do that without Pathfinder that's better. That being said, I won't complain if the answer is 'no.'
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I'm a little sketchy as to why you want a Sorcerer that casts off Wisdom.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Ancient History wrote:I'm a little sketchy as to why you want a Sorcerer that casts off Wisdom.
Presumably because it is gestalt and he wants to be sad not mad.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Fuck off, Kaelik.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

So I'm looking at Beguiler Wizard 3//Erudite 3 (CPsi, not Spell to Power for once). I was wondering if it'd be possible to have a tiny bit of extra XP to pick up a couple of powers via Erudite - primarily looking to snag Astral Construct and Psionic Minor Creation, which would cost 120xp.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Anybody have any objection to starting out at 3,120 XP instead of 3,000 XP so RelentlessImp's character can buy some extra powers?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Ancient History wrote:Fuck off, Kaelik.
You asked a question and I gave an extremely plausible answer. You don't think you might be allowing your grudge against me for criticizing Koku Simulator 2015 to color your response?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

You're not participating in this game, Kaelik. Keep your opinions to yourself. Fuck off.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Just let him start with less XP then the rest of us but don't make him lose levels for it. That stuff is straight up frustrating.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Kaelik actually has it, more or less. I was considering a dragon-flavored gish character, and was seeing if I could make it Wisdom-based so I could combine Wis casting with Insightful Strike. I was specifically looking for Wis-based Sorcerer casting because I wanted to use the White Dragonspawn template from Dragonlance Campaign Setting (which gives +1 level of sorcerer casting, in addition to a lot of other stuff). Admittedly that is a cheesy attempt to get more use out of an already cheesy template and if I want a specifically Wis based fighter/caster hybrid there's always the Cleric.

I have no problem with the extra XP.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Without being mean, I think there's plenty of room for cheese in this game without switching out the Sorcerer's primary casting stat.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

No problem; it's why I asked.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Sure, give a player an extra resource that is useless for the other players but will allow the first player to have psionic power armor with super poison attacks. Besides being a wizard and his other powers of course.

I decided to stop trying to cheese out my character more and just deciding which strikes/stances/prepared spells to go with (Domains will be Luck and Travel for re-roll and mini-Freedom of Movement). I have the feeling I'll still end horribly weaker than the rest of the party at this rate but I would like to see how long I'll last.

Which reminds me, how do you rule that Tome Two-weapon fighting interacts with the crusader strikes? Would a maneuver that calls me to make one attack allow me to make two attacks?
Last edited by maglag on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.