[3.x]Call to Adventure: Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Might as well ask what the nature of the favor the stone eater needs is. If it's say, constructing a stone building or digging a ditch or tunnel, Orr will happily sub in.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

radthemad4 wrote:Might as well ask what the nature of the favor the stone eater needs is. If it's say, constructing a stone building or digging a ditch or tunnel, Orr will happily sub in.
The Stone-Eater wants Archimedes to find a "flesh supplicant" for "bacchanal rites" which implies (to me at least) bizarre sex fueled by drunken revelry and religious fervor. Archimedes is unfit on the merit that he is entirely made of metal.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Oh okay. I had no idea what that meant and didn't think to google it. Probably not a good idea with Orr's Con score.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

GOing to be away for the weekend again, so we'll pick this back up Monday night-ish.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

We're waiting on Malogos to finish summoning a familiar right?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I was waiting on you deciding whether or not the pack-lizards were acceptable, and Archimedes as to whether he was going to try and get a participant for the bacchanal rites so he could afford the magic amulet.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Ah, sorry, my bad. Yes, Pack Lizards are awesome!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes is going to try, he's just not sure how to approach it yet.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Could you ask if the drunken sex is particularly er... unhealthy?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sure.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Is Orr aware of the current conversation?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Orr is wrangling pack-lizards, but I'm sure he can overhear it if he wants to.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

So...whatchall doin'? I mean, Malagris is summoning his skeleton dude. Orr has his pack-lizards.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I think we're ready to head out to meet the basilisk
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Gentle reminder: building the skeletal minion takes 24 hours according to the class feature.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Hence my lack of posts - looked like you were doing things in the 24 hours.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The bacchanal rites are happening this in-game night, to answer Orr's question.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

OK, that was actually a pretty good deal since Archimedes still has a Constitution of 18 after the penalty.

Can Archimedes still wear the wyrmfang amulet along with the triskelion or does he have to take the former off (the triskelion presumably takes the same amulet slot, if we're using body slots)
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Same slot.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Yeah that massive Wisdom boost'll probably sort of help make up for the Arcane Spell failure thing. Any ideas on how to reduce that though?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Well partially it depends on whether we can add more splatbook material when leveling up (and I can see AH going either way on that quite reasonably.)

The best core solution would just be to take combat spells that have no somatic components (and thus no chance of spell failure.) I have enough slots that I can just risk failing on low I'm probably taking Blindness/Deafness as my 2nd level spell next level for that reason.

If I weren't a sorcerer then I could get a lot out of still spell but having to take a full-round action and a higher spell slot kind of sucks. Still might be worth it though.

For non-core material:

Whispercast (from lords of madness) trades a 2nd level slot and a swift action to auto-still any spell of 5th or lower (so basically anything I'll probably ever cast in this game) I cast. Which is essentially like still spell, but I keep my move action and spend a 1st level spell slot instead, and at higher levels is strictly better than still spell for sorcerers.

A level of spellsword (complete warrior) reduces ASF by 10% without losing any spellcasting, although I'd understand not wanting to allow a multiclassing fix prestige class in a gestalt game. Even if it is allowed it has a bunch of prerequisites I'd need to meet and I'd still have a failure chance of 40% so it doesn't seem worth it.

There are also some alternate class features and feats that ignore spell failure from light/medium (possibly heavy somewhere) armor but since the spell failure comes from a magical effect and not armor I don't think that would work.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Since Kaelik's Tome Errata is in use, the Subtle Spell feat can let you use spells one lower than your max without somatic components without increasing spell level.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Kaelik's metamagic rules wrote:Spontaneous casters and SLA users must choose which metamagic feats to apply when they cast them. Spontaneous spellcasters don't take longer to cast spells with metamagic feats. That's just silly.
Kickass.

Of course that's only when I next get a feat, which won't be for a while.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Blindfolds are cheap (the Weavers make a selection of...specialized silk gear), and small hand mirrors of polished bronze are available, but you'll want to mark off how many you're buying of the latter before you get to Basilisk Country.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

How much do bronze mirrors cost? Small, steel mirrors that weigh half a pound cost 10 GP according to the SRD.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.