[3.x]Call to Adventure: Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I should be able to have a character down by Friday. At the moment I'm still figuring stuff out.

AH, how do setting books work with regards to your policy, in the case people bring in races/feats/templates/whatever from different settings?

vagrant, you might be able to make a celadrin a lesser planetouched (Player's Guide to Faerun). Gives you an extra level in exchange for your outsider type.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Yeah I was looking at doing a Lesser Celadrin, but I lose my sweet eyebeams!
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Darth Rabbitt wrote: AH, how do setting books work with regards to your policy, in the case people bring in races/feats/templates/whatever from different settings?
I don't care. How you justify it or fluff it, if you choose to, is entirely up to you. But if you want to mix Dark Sun and Forgotten Realms or Planescape and DragonMech, whatever works for you. Hell, in Crypts of Chaos I had somebody playing a Decepticon. So whatever you want to play, find a way to make it work.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak's dude was a Predacon, thank you very much.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I'll have my character ready by Friday, probably earlier.
vagrant wrote:Maglag, how are you planning to deal with the round-randomised maneuver list and the 3-round script that we'll be doing? I don't think the Crusader is a good fit for a PbP game.
Actually, since I only get two maneuvers per round, I would argue that it makes the DM's job easier. My script will just be "get close to the enemy and whack them with whatever Strike+boost I rolled that round, use Counter if necessary. If I roll two strikes or two boosts in a turn, flip a coin to pick whichever one I use".

Well, that and spells, like "If I can't charge anyone, buff myself with X" and "If I drop below Y HP, cure myself"
Last edited by maglag on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Are we using the Races of War rules for combat maneuvers (disarm, trip, edge, etc.) ?

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=33310
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Is there still a spot open? I'd like to join if I could.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

OgreBattle wrote:Are we using the Races of War rules for combat maneuvers (disarm, trip, edge, etc.) ?

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=33310
Races of War was voted in, so yes.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Dominicius wrote:Is there still a spot open? I'd like to join if I could.
The more the merrier, I suppose.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Templates?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Keep it ECL 3. So for example, if you want to be a human wereboar ranger, that would look like:

Level 1: Wereboar LA 1 / Ranger 1
Level 2: Wereboar LA 2 / Ranger 2
Level 3: Wereboar LA 3 / Ranger 3
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

K. Are we using Kaelik's errata?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Ancient History wrote:
Dominicius wrote:Is there still a spot open? I'd like to join if I could.
The more the merrier, I suppose.
I worry about you AH. But thank you for making a spot.

In any case I have a few ideas for a character. Largely depends on the sources we are allowed and what people would like to see.

Alith-Anar
Male Elf, Samurai 3 // Sorcerer 3
"I am high prince of the elves and I came to this place because my lands are in dire peril. A terrible blight corrupts the lands, turning trees and animals against our people. Rumor has it that a cure might be found deep within the Fire Swamp, if so I will do everything in my power to retrieve it."

Vian
Male Human, Wilder 3 // Fire Mage 3
"Me? I used to be mercenary. Had my own band of for a while. But you know what? This, right here, is the life! Adventuring is awesome! Fight when you want, drink all you want, get all the fame, fortune and loot you could ever desire and then get hailed as a hero in the end! And listen... just between you and me, I've already got everything figured out! I will not only conquer the Fire Swamp, I will do it with skill and style!"

Marquis de Soto
Male Bunnyfolk, Thief Acrobat 3 // Druid 3
"Do not worry, old friend. I am sure that your fears are unfounded. If you wish, I will go to the swamps myself and investigate. And even if the worst case comes to pass... I will managed. And once I come back, we will talk about my adventures by a warm fireplace over a cup of fresh tea."
Last edited by Dominicius on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

radthemad4 wrote:K. Are we using Kaelik's errata?
Sure, why not.
Dominicus wrote:I worry about you AH. But thank you for making a spot.
That's okay, I don't expect everybody's character to survive through the first couple of scenes.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Ancient History wrote: That's okay, I don't expect everybody's character to survive through the first couple of scenes.
Yikes.

In any case, there are a few things I want to run by you while I have the chance.

Some time ago I made a feat called Initiation. May I test it out in this game? It is basically a painless way of dipping into Tome of Battle if people are okay with that.

While running my own games I have also made a few modifications to the classes and I'd like to use them here. I will only list the ones that apply to me.
Fire Mage:
The Fire Mage and his allies are immune to the effects of Piercing Flames.
Bonds of Fire has a range of short (oversight).
Fire Burst damage is 1d6 per level (probably an oversight).
Ignite has a Reflex save of 10+half character level+cha modifier to extinguish.
Hand of Fire is a swift action to activate and deactivate.
With Visions of Fire the Fire Mages vision can no longer be obscured by smoke or fire.

Samurai:
Kiai! costs more charges depending on the weapon you are using. A x2 critical modifier weapon uses only 1 charge per use while a x4 modifier weapon uses three charges per use.

Thief Acrobat:
The Thief Acrobat gets a bonus feat at level 3 and another one every 5 levels after that.
Acrobatic Flair allows the character to use Dex instead of Str for all Jump, Climb and Swim checks in addition to its other benefits.
The class has full BAB.

Wilder:
Psychic Enervation functions differently. Instead of getting dazed and losing power points, should psychic enervation strike you instead take a number of d8 damage equal to the Wild Surge boost.
Elude touch applies a dodge bonus against all attacks.
Surging euphoria is gained at level 2 and improves every 4 levels afterward.
Volatile Mind is removed, instead at those levels you gain Expanded Knowledge as a bonus feat (Educated Wilder).
The Wilder gains powers in the same way as the psion (a new level of powers every two levels). Powers known are one at level 1, two at level 2 and then an extra power known every two levels afterward.
The wilder gets a psicrystal at level one.
The class grants Painful Euphoria feature at level 10 which allows the wilder to gain the benefits of surging euphoria even if he was struck by psychic enervation.
Last edited by Dominicius on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Aside from Tome-stuff, I'm largely hoping to avoid fan-material. Does anyone have any objections to any of this stuff?
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Well if there is no TOME outside of the official releases of it allowed, I don't see a reason why you should make an exception here

Don't know about the balance of the Fire Mage or whatever.

ALSO question. Does Frank's stuff outside of the tomes count as fan material? Like the Soldier and Totemist?
Last edited by AcidBlades on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Yes.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

The Fire Mage in itself would count as Fan-Material. As it is not something that is found in the original Tomes online. Granted they may be in the PDF for Tome, but not the actual etiological tomes themselves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

The Soldier and Totemist (and the Soulborn) are Frank classes that are specifically labelled as being part of the 'Tome of Virtue'. The similarly labelled Crusader was allowed so those should be as well.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

<sigh> People want Tome stuff. So I allow Tome stuff. Which people then aren't happy with and want more. So really, I'm to blame for this, for trying to give people what they want.

Does anyone have anything against Tome of Virtue, in its uncompleted state?
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Nupe.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Ancient History wrote:<sigh> People want Tome stuff. So I allow Tome stuff. Which people then aren't happy with and want more. So really, I'm to blame for this, for trying to give people what they want.

Does anyone have anything against Tome of Virtue, in its uncompleted state?
Well Tomes are really, really good. So don't blame yourself, blame Frank&K for making something that people want to play. :wink:
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'm okay with including most things. I don't understand balance well enough to comment on Dominicus's changes, but I'd like to better understand what you mean by Tome. e.g. I mentally use the word for pretty much anything made by anyone for use with Frank and K's sourcebooks, some people only use it to refer to Frank and K's completed original sourcebooks, etc.

You're cool with Tome of Necromancy/Fiends, Dungeonomicon and Races of War and updates and fixes to material from there or published material even if they're made by people other than Frank and K (e.g. Kaelik's Conduit and Errata, vagrant's positive Energy Dread Necro, Dominicus's proposed changes). You're also cool with stuff made by Frank that is labelled as being part of a Tome.

The thread where the Fire Mage originally came from, doesn't have the word Tome in it until the next page where other people decided to put it into the AwesomeTome compilation pdf which had all of Frank and K's completed Tomes and a lot of community material. If Fire Mage is allowed, I think classes made by Frank (even if they aren't specifically labelled as being part of a Tome) should at least be on the table for voting (e.g. I can understand if people don't want say, Frank's Pokemon Trainer/Monster Tamer to be an option).

Incidentally, Josh made a Fire Mage revision.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I am, generally speaking, okay with any material from these threads. Although I would still appreciate links to whatever you use, because anything you guys use may also be used against you.