[3.x]Call to Adventure: Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Welp. I vote on at least 32-40 Point Buy.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Everyone, please point buy? Or something else? I'd be fine with a set array too.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I vote for any kind of stat generation that isn't random. High point buy or a better than elite array is cool by me.

How about we only vote on stuff when at least one person objects to it first?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Well, that's 3-fer. We'll do Point-Buy at 40 points, unless anyone objects.
Last edited by Ancient History on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Can I be a Celadrin? Dragon Magazine 350
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Sure. You don't need to ask permission for that kind of thing. Just tell me what books/magazines/WotC web supplement/etc. you're using, and I'll add it to the list.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

So, depending on how the voting goes, the current idea is Celadrin LA+1 (Dragon 350) Tome Fighter 2 (Races of War)/Dread Necromancer-Positive Variant (Heroes of Horror).

I suppose if people okay the positive-energy dread necro, I should retool some of his stuff? How much rejiggering are you alright with? Swap Negative everywhere with Positive and stick in Create Deathless at level appropriate slots?

-DrPraetor
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I was thinking:
Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Same as evil Dread Necromancer.

Spellcasting: Same as Dread Necromancer, see revised spell list below.

Deathless Touch (Su): Positive energy flows through a dread necromancer’s body, concentrating in her hands. At will, but no more than once per round, she can make a melee touch attack against an undead foe that deals 1d8 points of damage, +1 per four class levels. This
touch heals living creatures, restoring 1 hit point per touch, +1 per four
class levels. A dread necromancer can use the spectral hand spell to deliver this attack from a distance.

Rebuke Deathless (Su):
A dread necromancer can turn undead creatures and rebuke deathless by channeling passive energy through her body. See the cleric class feature described on page 33 of the Player’s Handbook.

Deathless Body: Starting at 2nd level, a dread necromancer begins her journey into deathlessness. The first symptom is her body’s increased
resilience to physical harm. She gains DR 2/bludgeoning and magic. As the dread necromancer increases in level, this DR increases in effectiveness, to DR 4 at 7th level, DR 6 at 11th level, and DR 8 at 15th level.

Positive Energy Burst (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a dread necromancer gains the ability to emit a burst of positive energy from her body, harming undead creatures within 5 feet of her. This burst deals 1d4 points of damage per class level. A successful Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 her
class level + Cha modifier) reduces damage by half. Living creatures within this burst are healed the same amount of hit points as the damage she deals to living creatures. A dread necromancer can use this ability once per day at 3rd level, and one additional time per day for every five levels she attains beyond 3rd (2/day at 8th level, 3/day at 13th level, and 4/day at 18th level).

Revised Dread Necromancer Spell List

1st Level: Bane, bestow wound, cause fear, chill touch, detect
magic, detect undead, doom, hide from undead, cure light wounds,
ray of enfeeblement, summon undead I*, undetectable alignment

* If you want to replace this with ectoplasmic armor or something, fine. These changes require adding Heroes of Horror to the list, but nothing else.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Yeah, that looks fine. I'll need to swap out the summon undead tree with something (or I guess I could keep it? Might be useful, despite the fact I actually hurt my little undead buddies by using my abilities. C'est la ne vie!)
Ancient History
Serious Badass

You can swap out summon undead I for another spell - ectoplasmic armor is just a suggestion.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Also what is the rules involving gaining Weapon Proficiency? I probably need a cross bow after I blow off all my spells. Y'know. Just in case.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

You still want to be a Sha'ir/Tome Monk/Paladin and want proficiency in crossbows? Well, I suppose you could take a flaw and pick it up as a feat.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Well I'm already considered to be proficient in regular ass cross-bows. I just want repeating crossbows. Typically in Tomegames you get one weapon prof. per level. But maybe that was just the game that I was in.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

If you're proficient with crossbows, doesn't that automatically cover repeating crossbows? It's not an exotic weapon.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Just to make sure, I plan to use Frank's crusader. Technically it's a tome class and everything. That's alright, correct?
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Okay, so it turns out that Create Deathless is a 6th level domain spell, so I actually can't get it :sadface:. So I might just go cleric on the other side.

EDIT: Actually, I could take Attune Domain if Tome is in.
Last edited by vagrant on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

maglag wrote:Just to make sure, I plan to use Frank's crusader. Technically it's a tome class and everything. That's alright, correct?
Yep, that's fine.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Maglag, how are you planning to deal with the round-randomised maneuver list and the 3-round script that we'll be doing? I don't think the Crusader is a good fit for a PbP game.

-DrPraetor
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I'm interested
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Okay, that's six by my count. Does everybody think they can get a character together by this coming Friday?
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

I'm in?

Sure.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Ancient History
Serious Badass

You're in.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I'll be following this for entertainment, but might pop in if somebody drops out.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Yeah, I can totally get a character up by Friday.

-DrPraetor
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Yeah, I can make something by Friday.

I don't think it's possible to come up with a decent general purpose action script that isn't ridiculously convoluted and even then it's bound to have some situations that aren't covered. Terrains vary, enemies vary, player conditions vary, immunities vary, actions of other allies vary, bad rolls happen, crits happen, etc. Perhaps other players could vote to have an inactive ally do something if they go three days without posting or something of that nature?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.