Age of Mana

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Copper Helm
NPC

Age of Mana

Post by Copper Helm »

Hello everybody,

I'm a long time lurker and I must say that I really enjoy the caustic and no-nonsense of this forum and this is the reason I came here to present the prototype of my TTRPG. In other words, I need honest, blunt opinions.

A while back, when I read here about the debacle surrounding the 4th edition of Shadowrun, I had the idea of building an alternate option (À la “Pathfinder”) for people who liked the premisses of the 4th SR system but were disappointed with where the franchise was headed. It didn't begin as a very serious project as it was another of these fantasy heartbreakers ideas I developed in my spare time and usually went nowhere, but this one turned differently: its a bit a synthesis of everything I learned playing and reading these thing, and I think I ended writing a prototype for a 3rd D&D and 4th SR hybrid which I named “Age of Mana”.

Now I must be honest, English is a second language for me, so I apologize in advance if my syntax, grammar, conjugation, orthography and whatnot are a bit off in both this post and my prototype. I do understand that, at one point, I must have this thing edited by someone who would be much more fluent in English than I am; so, again, I apologize. Also, while I have bookmarked most sections, I do not yet have a table of content; this thing being a prototype, I do not think its worth doing so for something that is going to be undoubtedly reworked. So, I hope that none of this will be too much of an hindrance and that you will have, nevertheless, an enjoyable read.

Looking forward you guys' opinions and suggestions,

MaX

http://www.filedropper.com/aomprototype100_1 (Fixed)

My aims for this TTRPG

Fusing the best parts of my favourite RPGs:

- 3rd edition's D&D fantastical realism and light wargame elements.
- 4th Edition Shadowrun and early Fallout's (1&2) Combat System and exclusive use of the d6.
- Arcanum's “Background” concept (Poorly used in the game itself, but still a good idea. Renamed “Quirk” in “Age of Mana”) and “Skill System”.
- Stalker's exclusive reliance on cash for character improvement (No Exp.).

Ripping-Off Recuperating ideas that Frank Trollman had for SR5 and his “War” fan supplement to SR4:
- No more “Strength” or “Charisma” “Attributes”, fusing them, instead, with “Body”, in the case of “Strength”, and “Intuition”, in the case of “Charisma”.
- 10 HP bars for everything and using “Body” or “Solidity” to reduce damage.
- Fixed weapon damage.

Things that I think I came up with but was probably done before and in a much better way:
- Dynamic “Attributes”: “Primary Attributes”: “Body”, “Intuition” and “Will”; “Secondary Attributes” (Average of the combination of two “Primary Attributes”): “Dexterity” (“Body” + “Intuition”/2), “Endurance” (“Body” + “Will”/2) and “Intellect” (“Intuition”+”Will” /2).
- Non-idiotic skill Challenge system with “Success Checks”. (MATHS THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.)
- “Size” System for Character of different body types.
- Ethos system that actually make any sense.
- Semi-Realistic Close Combat System with parrying, blocking, dodging and different attack manoeuvres.
- A more flexible turn-based combat system that allows characters to enact actions during other character's turn under specific circumstances.
- Social Class system integrated into the gameplay to better define the player characters' beginning social positions and to better to frame their ascension through the social ladder as their adventures makes them more (in)famous, influential, rich and powerful.
Last edited by Copper Helm on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Copper Helm wrote:- Dynamic “Attributes”: “Primary Attributes”: “Body”, “Intuition” and “Will”; “Secondary Attributes” (Average of the combination of two “Primary Attributes”): “Dexterity” (“Body” + “Intuition”/2), “Endurance” (“Body” + “Will”/2) and “Intellect” (“Intuition”+”Will” /2).
This sort of thing was done in AD&D2 Skills and Powers. A slightly different version was done in SR3. Sub attributes generally devolve into people taking the good one and not the bad one (no one invests points into the "half" of Constitution that doesn't give you hit points). And derived stats force everyone who cares about the derived stat to have to max both of the feeder stats.

In your example, anyone who wants Dexterity is going to have to max Body and Intuition. This essentially makes anyone who has a Dexterity thing they need to do automatically have multiple attribute dependency. It's like D&D4's 2 attribute builds, but it's more complicated and thus easier for players to screw up.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

- Non-idiotic skill Challenge system with “Success Checks”. (MATHS THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.)
What's an example of a skill challenge in your proposed system?

- Semi-Realistic Close Combat System with parrying, blocking, dodging and different attack manoeuvres.
How many exchanges of striking and maneuvering do you see your fights being, and how is it affected if there's multiple combatants?

The PDF document you linked failed to download for me.
Red_Rob
Prince

Re: Age of Mana

Post by Red_Rob »

Copper Helm wrote:- Stalker's exclusive reliance on cash for character improvement (No Exp.)
Whilst this might work fine in a computer game where the designers can ensure you only have access to a steady trickle of valuable items, in an RPG you need to be aware the players are going to find ways to short-cut the expected wealth system. From stripping assets to stealing cars, incentivising players to find ways to gain money has historically not worked out well in RPG's. This is a general flaw with tying out-of-game advancement to an in-game metric.

Also, having all your advancement tied to monetary possessions can feel unsatisfying for the player - you want to feel your character is a badass, not that anyone with the same toys could do their job. I guess it fits the whole disposable street cyberpunk ethic, but I think you'll find a lot more people play RPG's for escapism and wish fulfillment than as an exercise in nihilism.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Copper Helm
NPC

Post by Copper Helm »

OgreBattle wrote:The PDF document you linked failed to download for me.
I apologize I should have checked if it worked properly. Here's another link, if it does not work, would anybody have a file hosting site to recommend to me?

http://www.filedropper.com/aomprototype100_1
OgreBattle wrote:
What's an example of a skill challenge in your proposed system?
SUCCESS CHECKS

In “Age of Mana”, successes or failures when enacting “Actions” are determined by “Success Checks”. In some instances, the pertinent “Skill Bonuses” of a Character are already equal or superior to the “Success Threshold” of a “Success Check”; in this case the “Success Checks” are won automatically. Nevertheless in instances where the success of a “Success Check” is uncertain, the process of success checking goes like this: one has to roll a pool of dice which is referred, in “Age of Mana”, as a “Dice Pool”; the amount of dice in a “Dice Pool” may vary and it is generally determined in the description of the attempted “Action”. Once her “Dice Pool” rolled, one counts the number of dice that fell on either 1 or 2, these are said to have “Scored” and their sum are referred, in “Age of Mana”, as a “Roll Score”. The “Roll Score” is then modified according to the description of the concerned “Action” and becomes its “Action Score”. The “Action Score” determined, the Game Master compares the Player's “Action Score” to the “Success Threshold” and, unless it is specified otherwise, if the Player's “Action Score” is inferior to the “Success Threshold”, the Game Master must interpret this as the Player's Character failing to realize her/his intended goals with that peculiar “Action”; If, to the contrary, the Player's “Action Score” is equal or superior to the “Success Threshold”, the Game Master must interpret this as the Player's Character's succeeding to realize her/his intended goals with that specific “Action”.

Example: Hélène's Owner decides for her Character to enact a “Climb” “Action” to have her/him climb a very small cliff. The Character has no training in the “Acrobatic” “Skill”, hence she has no “Skill Bonus” that would allow this “Action” to be an automatic success. Consequently, a “Success Check” has to be made to determine if the Character will fail or not. According to the description of the “Climb” “Action”, she will have to roll a “Dice Pool” equivalent to the value of her Character's “Dexterity” “Attribute”. The value of Hélène's “Dexterity” “Attribute” being of 3, the “Dice Pool” for this “Action” will be of 3 Dice. Hélène's Owner, then, rolls the appropriate number of Dice together and then determine the sum of those having “Scored”. In this case, only a single die “Scored”, meaning that the “Roll Score” value is of 1. Since there are no “Skill Bonus” to be added, the value of the “Action Score” of this “Success Check” is of 1. The value of the “Success Threshold”, in this context, is of 1 and consequently, the Character, Hélène, is successful at climbing that very small cliff.

SUCCESS THRESHOLDS

The different degrees of difficulty for “Actions” are represented, in “Age of Mana” by the “Success Thresholds”. The most common way a Game Master may determine the value of an “Action's” “Success Threshold” is by reading its description but, in certain cases, she will have to come up with some by herself. If she does she should be aware of what entails the value of a “Success Threshold”. From an “Human” scale, a “Success Threshold” with a value of 0 represents an obvious task which does not require any special training or knowledge; with a value of 1, it represents a trivial task that can be accomplished by any “Initiate”; with a value of 2, it represents a complex task that can, nevertheless, be accomplished without problem by an “Expert”; with a value of 3, it represents a difficult task that can only be accomplished without any complications by a “Master”; any “Success Thresholds” with values of 4 and beyond represent an exceptional task that require an exceptional or very lucky individual with “Master” level of training in the pertinent “Skill”.

When calibrating the “Success Thresholds” of his “Venture”, a Game Master should have in mind the principle that if her Players are playing intelligently, the odds should be in their favour and the “Success Thresholds” be within the reach of their Characters' capabilities. This said, while the Game Master has the responsibility of purveying reasonable challenges to her Players, her Players, in revenge, have the responsibility to chose their challenges wisely. For example, if a Player with a physically weak Character decides that the best way to get to an island is to swim several kilometres of the ocean, she should not be surprised or upset that her Character ends up as crab food.

COMPETING SUCCESS CHECKS

Some “Actions'” “Success Thresholds” are defined by the “Action Score” of another Character an vice versa. These are referred, in “Age of Mana”, as “Competing Success Check”. Contrary to most of the conventional “Success Checks”, only one of the competing character has to be equal or superior to succeed while the other can only succeed while being superior. For example, it is the case of when an “Attack (Single Close Range Weapon)” “Action” meets a “Block” “Reaction”. In that situation, the “Action Score” of the Attacking “Character” must be superior to succeed while the “Action Score” of the defending Character must be equal or superior.
OgreBattle wrote:
How many exchanges of striking and maneuvering do you see your fights being, and how is it affected if there's multiple combatants?
Okay that's going to be difficult to sum up. I'll have post another big part of my prototype.

These are the contexts in which "Action" are enacted by Characters (Normal Mode, Crisis Mode.).
GAME MODES

NORMAL MODE

Role Playing Games are exercises in cooperative storytelling and as any tales, there are parts where the time frame of the protagonists' actions is made vague (As long as it doesn't stretch the credibility of said story too much); writers do this to avoid bugging down the flow of the narrative by encumbering it with needless details. These moments are referred, in “Age of Mana”, as the “Normal Mode”. This “Game Mode” should be used when the members of the party are interacting with each others or with their environment in a stress-free situation where precise chronology is not important. Hence, during “Normal Mode”, the time order of the Characters' “Actions” are not regulated and detailed by a turn-based system like in the “Crisis Mode” (Hence, “Action Points” and “Action Cost” are not relevant during “Normal Mode” as anything else but useful references for the Game Master to approximate the time and effort spent enacting “Actions”.). During “Normal Mode” Players may state their “Actions” and their aims so that the Game Master may evaluates their durations, their feasibility, the “Success Checks” required to accomplish them properly and the consequences of their successes or failures by reading the descriptions of the “Actions” being enacted. The “Normal Mode”, as its name suggests, should be considered as the main mode when normally playing “Age of Mana”, while the “Crisis Mode” should be employed conservatively to adequately spice up the game since it is rule heavy and over using it may bug down the game if overabundant.

CRISIS MODE

“Ventures” call for stressful situations in which it is crucial to establish the Chronology of things happening during these. In in “Age of Mana” these situations are referred as a “Crisis” and when the Game Master decide that one of these started, the game automatically switch from “Normal Mode” to “Crisis Mode” until the “Crisis” has been averted. Many situations can be considered a “Crisis” (Ex.: Being trapped in a house in fire, being on sinking ship, fleeing from a pack of bears or escaping from a collapsing lair of evil.) but it is typically used, in “Age of Mana”, for combat or stealth situations. The “Crisis Mode” want to be a simulation of a stressful event and is used to meta-materialize the effects of abstract notions such as, “Attributes”, “Skills” or “Actions” while situating them in fictitious time and space in relation with the environment the Player Characters are finding themselves in. Game-wise, the “Crisis Mode” is a succession of “Crisis Rounds” in which the Players and the Game Master take their “Action Turns” during which they may call “Actions” for their Characters to enact until the “Crisis” is considered resolved by the Game Master. In the Game world's, each “Crisis Rounds” represents 6 seconds of fictitious time, meaning that 10 “Crisis Rounds” consist a fictitious minute and 60 of them, consist of a fictitious hour.

When to Begin the “Crisis Mode”
- Combat Segments.
- Stealth Segments (Hide in Crowds or Shadows).
- Some Emergencies where establishing the chronology of “Actions” would enhance the fun. (Ex.:Characters trying to escape a drowning ship or a burning house that is slowly collapsing around them.).

When to end the “Crisis Mode"
- Combat Segments: When there is no more enemy left to fight because they are dead/incapacitated/surrendering.
- Stealth Segments: When the Character(s) reached a safe spot where there is no chance to be discovered.

“PRIORITY CHECK” AND “TURNS LIST”

When playing in “Crisis Mode” the Players and their Game Master proceed as such: The Game Master write a “Turns List” by making each Owners (Including the Game Master herself) Determine their Character's “Priority Check”. To make a “Priority Check”, the Players and The Game Master (Unless she opted to use prefixed “Priority Checks” for her NPCs.) will have to roll a “Dice Pool” equivalent to twice the value of their Characters' “Intuition” “Attribute”. The resulting “Roll Score” will constitute the “Priority Score” for each Characters for this particular “Crisis”. Then, the Game Master writes on the “Turns List” the Characters name and their “Priority Score”, in decreasing order from the Character with highest “Priority Score” to the lowest. Character Owners will then, in turns during the “Crisis”, take their “Action Turns” according to the order of the Characters and the Events on the “Turns List”.

If some of the “Priority Scores” happen to be of the same value, all the Owners of the concerned Characters must roll again a “Dice Pools” equivalent to the value of their “Characters”' “Intuition” “Attribute”. The highest “Roll Score” will determine which Characters has priority over the other on the list. If this results in another draw, all the concerned Owners must again roll the same “Dice Pools” and repeat, if needed, until a clear order establishes itself. If a Player's Character make a draw with a Non Player Character or an Event during a “Priority Check”, she/he automatically gets the priority, unless the NPC has the “Elite” “Specific”. Some rules may affect Characters' “Priority Scores” during the “Crisis”, after “Priority Checks”, effectively changing their order on the “Turn List”.

Example: If, during a “Priority checks”, three of five Characters get “Priority Scores” of the same values which are also superior to the values of the “Priority Scores” of the two other Characters, the Owners of these Characters must then roll again their “Dice Pools” to determine who will be on the first, second and third positions on the “Turns List”. If after doing this, one Character has a superior “Roll Score” while the two others have equal “Roll Scores”, the former then gets the first position and the Owners of the two other Characters will have to roll their “Dice Pools until it is determined which will be on the second and which will be on the third position on the “Turn List”.

EVENTS AND SECRET EVENTS

“Events” are incidents which may happen during either “Normal Mode” or “Crisis Mode”. These may consist of anything, from an explosion to an alarm going off. During “Normal Mode” the chronology of “Events” is left to the Game Master's judgement but during the “Crisis Mode”, these must have predefined “Priority Checks”. “Events” may be kept secret by the Game Master from the Players and she wish to do so, she may write a second, secret “Turn List” on which she will note the “Events” Names, the “Crisis Rounds” on which they'll happens and their “Priority Checks”.

ACTION TURNS
Once the “Turns list” done, the first “Crisis Round” may begins. In the order shown on the list, the Owners of the Characters take their “Action Turns” and begin to call “Actions” for their Character to enact. They also have the option of either stopping calling “Actions” before depleting the “Action Point Pool” of their Characters or not calling any “Actions” at all during this “Action Turn”; In both cases it is referred, in “Age of Mana” as putting a Character on “Standby”. The Owner may use the “Action Points” of her Character on “Standby” for either “Delayed Actions” or for “Reactions” in the same “Crisis Round”. (See the “Action Types” Subsection at p.*PH*)

“ACTION POINTS” AND “ACTION POINTS POOL”

At the beginning of their “Action Turns”, each Characters receives an “Action Points Pool” which value is equivalent to twice the value of their “Dexterity” “Attributes”. “Action Points” are used as a currency which allow Characters to enact their “Actions”, hence, a Character with a depleted “Action Points Pool” cannot call “Actions” anymore which in “Age of Mana” is referred as being “Out of Actions”. In-game, the “Action Points Pool” is obviously supposed to represent the Character's speed: the bigger the “Action Points Pool”, the more “Actions” a Character will be allowed to enact during a “Crisis Round”.

Each new “Action Turn”, The “Action Points Pool” is refilled to twice the current value of the Character's “Dexterity” “Attribute”. Hence, the “Action Points Pool” is susceptible to be modified during the “Crisis” if the Dexterity “Attribute” is modified. If the “Dexterity” “Attribute” of a given Character is modified during an “Action Turn” during which she/he already spent “Action Points”, the maximum of the “Action Points Pool” will be also be modified, but the already spent “Action Points” remain spent; if the current amount of “Action Points” exceeds the new maximum it is set to the value of the new maximum instead.

ACTIONS AND SUCCESS CHECKS

“Actions” encapsulate most of the activities Characters might partake in during a “Venture” and “Age of Mana” comes with several different predefined “Actions” with their own rules. There are four different types of “Actions”: “Common Actions”, “Delayed Actions”, “Expanded Actions” and “Reactions”.

“Common Actions” may be called by player during both “Normal Mode” and “Crisis Mode” while “Delayed Actions”, “Expanded Actions” and “Reactions” can only be called in “Crisis Mode”. During “Normal Mode”, they do not cost “Action Points”, instead it's up to the Game Master to approximate the time taken for the Characters to enact them. In “Crisis Mode”, “Actions” can only be, depending of their type, called under specific conditions.

ACTIONS TYPES

COMMON ACTIONS
During “Normal Mode”, one may call “Common Actions” whenever an Owner wish to have her Character do something while in “Crisis Mode”, one may call “Common Actions” only during her Character's “Action Turn”.

DELAYED ACTIONS
One may call an “Common Action” during the “Action Turn” of a Character that she does not own if her own Character has still enough “Actions Points” and if her Character's “Priority Score” is superior to the one of the Character she is interrupting; it is referred, in “Age of Mana” as a “Delayed Action”. There are two instances where one is allowed to call for a “Delayed Action”. The first is when another Owner calls either an “Common Action” or a “Delayed Action”; when one does so, he does not name or choose the “Delayed Action” until after the other “Action” has been enacted; then, the Owner who called for the “Delayed Action” may either state her choice for “Action” or retract herself. The second instance where one is allowed to call for a “Delayed Action” is when another Owner decides to put her/his Character on “Standby” or if her Character is “Out of Action”; One is then allowed to call as many “Delayed Actions” her Character's “Action Pool” permits. If more than one Owner call for a “Delayed Actions” at the same permitted instance, the Player with the highest “Priority Score” goes first and the other follows in decreasing order of “Priority Scores”. If an “Action”, on which “Delayed Actions” were called happens to also have “Reactions” called on it, the “Reactions” will have priority and will be enacted before the “Delayed Actions”. Some “Actions” cannot be followed by “Delayed Actions” and it will be specified in their descriptions.

EXPANDED ACTIONS
If, during her “Action Turn”, one desires to have her Character accomplish a common “Action” that requires more “Action Points” than the number of points remaining in her “Action Points Pool”, she may call for an “Expanded Action”. After calling for an “Expanded Action”, one spends all the remaining “Action Points” she has in her “Action Points Pool” to pay part of the “Action's” “Action Point Cost” she cannot afford this “Action Turn” and describes her aims for this “Action”. Then, at the beginning of her Character's next “Action Turn”, she may either pay the rest of the “Action Points Cost” and her Character will enact the “Delayed Action” exactly in the way she described it during her last “Action Turn” or she may also, at no cost, cancel her “Expanded Action” to either call other “Actions” and/or put her Character on “Standby”.

If an “Attack” “Action” used as “Expanded Action” and the target is not at the same exact spot as it was the “Action Turn” where the “Expended Action” was initiated the “Attack” “Action” will automatically miss if the “Expanded Action” is not cancelled. In-game this would translate as the Character raising her/his sword to strike a foe at a peculiar spot at the first “Action Turn” only to have the same Character releasing her/his attack at empty air the next “Action Turn”.

Furthermore, one may also call an “Expanded Action” for “Actions” which requires more “Action Points” than what can be provided by two “Action Turns” worth of “Action Points” from a Character. To do so, like before, the Player will spend all the “Action Points” available in her “Action Pool” to pay what she can of the “Action Price” and then, when her next “Action Turn” comes up, pay another part with all the available “Action Points” within her “Action Points Pool” and repeat the process until the “Action Point Cost” is fully paid. The “Action Turn” where the “Action Point Cost” has been paid entirely, the Character will enact the “Action” the way her Owner described it during the turn she called for it. Just as for the two-turns “Expended Action” the multi-turns “Expended Action” may be canceled at the beginning of one “Action Turn” and hat has been said about “Attack” “Actions” also applies.

REACTIONS
“Reactions” differ from “Common Actions” as they are not called during “Action Turns” but in reaction to “Actions”, “Events” or specific situations and this regardless if it is the enacting Character's “Action Turn” or not. For example, the “Block”, “Dodge” and “Parry” “Actions” can only be called as “Reactions” by an Owner when their Characters are targeted for “Attack” “Actions” or “Kill/Disable” “Actions”. The descriptions of Actions (see p. *PH*) specifies if an “Action” may be enacted as a “Reaction” or not.

In the occurrence of multiple Characters attempting to enact “Reactions” at the same time, the one with the highest “Priority Score” is the one who will enacts her “Reaction” first and the other Characters will follow one by one, in decreasing order of “Priority Scores”.

These are the more combat oriented "Actions" that can be enacted by the Characters.
ATTACK (SINGLE CLOSE RANGE WEAPON)
Cost: Defined by the Weapon's “Manoeuvre”.

AS A “COMMON ACTION”, “DELAYED ACTION” OR “EXPANDED ACTION”:

With this “Action” a Character will attempt to strike a Target, with either one of her/his hands or with a “Close Range Weapon” that she/he is already wielding. When one calls this “Action” for her Character to enact, one must first choose the “Target” of her Character's attack and then choose the “Manoeuvre” that is going to be enacted by her Character. The Target, to be eligible to an “Attack (Single Close Range Weapon)” “Action”, must be in "Front" of the Character, between 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock from where the enacting Character is facing, must not have an object or a creature which is wider and taller than the enacting Character obstructing her/him and must be within the “Range” of the Character's “Manoeuvre”. Once a suitable Target is selected, the Owner must make a “Competitive Success Check” which “Dice Pool” is equivalent to the enacting Character's “Dexterity” “Attribute”. The resulting “Roll Score” is added to the “Skill Bonus” provided by the Character's “Training Level” in the “Handling Close Range Weapon” “Skill”; this sum will represent the value of the “Action Score” of this “Action”. If the Target is “Flanked”, "Showing Back," “Unaware”, “Surprised”, “Paralysed” or “Unconscious”, the Character gets a bonus of +1 to her “Action Score”. Then, if the Target is defending her/himself with a “Reaction”, the Game Master compares the Character's “Action Score” to the Target's “Action Score”. If the attacker's “Action Score” is equal or inferior to the “Action Score” of the Target, the attack misses; otherwise, the “Action” hits its Target.

When an “Attack (Single Close Range Weapon)” land successfully, the value of the “Damage Score” dealt to the Target must be determined. To do so, a “Dice Pool” equivalent to the value of the Character's “Body” “Attribute” must be rolled and the weapon's “Damage Bonus” must be added to its “Roll Score”, the resulting number will represent the "Damage Score" of the “Attack” "Action". Then, unless an “Aim Specific” “Action” is used in conjunction with this “Action”, The owner of the attacker must make a “Body Roll” to determine which “Body Part” of her target has been hit (See the “Body Roll” Section at p.*PH*). Unless specified otherwise “Attack (Single Close Range Weapon)” “Actions” deals “Physical Damage” “Damage Type”.

If the Target does not defend itself at all, the Character's “Action Score” must be superior to 1 in order to land a successful “Attack (Close Range Weapons)”. Otherwise, the Character is considered to have attempted to “Attack (Single Close Range Weapon)” with such incompetence that she/he couldn't even hit an unmoving Target.

An “Attack (Single Close Range Weapon)” “Action” may also be called when the enacting Character is wielding weapons in both hands. In this peculiar case, her Owner must choose which wielded weapon her Character will use to strike before choosing a valid “Manoeuvre” and a valid “Target”.

AS A “REACTION”:
An “Attack (Single Close Range Weapon)” may be called as a “Reaction” under two circumstances.

- Interrupting Movement: If a potential Target is enacting a “Climb”, “Jump”, “Rotate”, “Walk/Run” “Action” in a location that is between 10 and 2 o'clock from where the enacting Character is facing and is also within her/his “Range”. The reacting Character gets a +1 to her/his “Action Score”.

- Counter Attack: It may be called as a “Reaction” directly after the reacting Character made a successful “Parry” “Reaction”. In this case, the reaction can only target the reacting Character's Attacker if she/he is in the “Range” of the Character and is in between 10 and 2 o'clock from where the Character is facing.

OBJECTS OR CHARACTERS BETWEEN THE ENACTING CHARACTER AND HER TARGET

What is written in this sub-subsection is also valid for the “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” “Action”.

If, between the enacting Character and her/his Target, there is one or multiple Characters or Objects that are at least half as tall and at least half as wide as the enacting Character and if the “Specific” of “Large Swipe” was not invoked for a “Slash” “Manoeuvre”, there is a risk that the projectile hit them/these instead of the Target. Hence, before her Character enacts her “Attack (Single or Dual close range Weapons)” “Action” the Owner has to determine if her Character accidentally hits an obstructing Object or Character instead of a Target. To do this, the Owner must make one (or two for each attacks in the case of a “Attack (Dual close range Weapons)” “Action”) “Success Check” for every potentially obstructing Characters and Objects in order of proximity. The “Dice Pools” for each of these “Success Checks” are equivalent to the value of the “Dexterity” “Attribute” of her Character and the pertinent “Skill Bonus” (From the “Handling Close Range Weapon” “Skill”.) and their “Success Thresholds” will be equivalent to 3 + value of the “Height” in Tiles of the concerned potentially obstructing Object or Character minus the value of the “Height” in Tiles of the attacking Character's.

If one of the “Success Threshold” fails, no other is needed, as the attacked is now considered to have been obstructed and interrupted, and the obstructing Object or Character receives the enacted “Attack (Single or Dual Close Range Weapons)” instead of the Target and damage is determined as if it was a successful attack. If none of the “Success Check” fail, the Game Master and the concerned Players proceed with this “Action” as normal since the attack wasn't obstructed.

CRITICAL FAILURE
In the case of a “Critical Failure”, the attack automatically fails and the Owner rolls a single die: if the die falls on a number inferior to 4, the Character accidentally drops the weapon used for this “Action”; if it is superior to 3, the Character somehow accidentally hurt her/himself with the weapon used for this “Action”, inflicting its “Damage Bonus” as “Damage Score” to her/himself; the Owner has to make a “Body Roll” to determine which “Body Part” will be damaged.

ATTACK (DUAL CLOSE RANGE WEAPONS)

Cost: (1 AP + the Highest AP Cost from selected “Manoeuvre”) consumed + the sum of both “Manoeuvres” “Fatigue Point Damage” inflicted.

AS A “COMMON ACTION”, “DELAYED ACTION” OR “REACTION”:
With this “Action” a Character will attempt to subsequently strike a Target twice with either both of her/his bare hands or with two “Close Range Weapons” that she/he is already wielding. When calling this “Action”, one must choose with which weapon her Character will use to strike first and which will be used to strike second, then choose which “Manoeuvres” her Character will use for each weapons and choose the “Target” for this “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” Action. The “Target”, to be eligible to an “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” “Action”, must be in "Front" of the Character, between 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock from where the Character is facing, must not have an object or a creature which is wider and taller than the enacting Character obstructing her/him and must be within the two “Reaches” of the two selected “Manoeuvres”. Once a suitable Target is selected, the Owner must make two “Competitive Success Check” which “Dice Pools” are equivalent to the value of the Character's “Dexterity” “Attribute”, are rolled; the first “Dice Pool” to be rolled will represent the first strike, the second will represent the second strike. To the two resulting “Roll Scores” one must, unless the Character is using both of her/his fists, subtracts 1 points and add the “Skill Bonus” provided by the Character's level in “Handling Close Range Weapons”: the two results, will represent the two values of the two “Action Scores” for the two attacks of that “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” “Action”. If the Target is “Flanked”, "Showing Back," “Unaware”, “Surprised”, “Paralysed” or “Unconscious”, the Character gets a bonus of +1 to her “Action Score”. Both attacks must be addressed separately by the Target with either “Block”, “Dodge” and/or “Parry” “Reactions”. The Player may also make her Character attempt a single “Dodge” “Reaction” that would put her/him out of the “Range” of the second attack; If the Target Character is successful at doing this, the Attacking Character's second “Attack” automatically misses her/him and a second defensive “Reaction” is unnecessary. Also, if the Target “Block” or “Parry” the second attack with the same weapon she/he used to “Block” or “Parry” the first attack, she/he suffers -1 penalty on her “Action Score” for her “Block” or “Parry” “Action”. Then, if the Target is defending itself from one or both attacks, the Game Master separately compares the Character's one or two “Action Scores” for her/his “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” to the Target's “Action Scores” of her single or two “Block”, “Dodge” and/or “Parry” “Reactions”. If one of the attacks has an “Action Score” that is equal or inferior to the “Action Score” of the “Block” “Dodge” or “Parry” “Reaction” that is meeting it, it misses the Target. If the Target does not defend itself at all, each of the attacks' “Action Scores” of the “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” “Actions” must be at least superior to 1 in order to land successfully. Otherwise, the Character is considered to have attempted to “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” with such incompetence that she/he couldn't even hit an unmoving Target. A defending Character may choose to only partially defend her/himself from an “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” and choose which attack will be reacted to and which won't. The “Attacks” which “Action Score” are superior to the Target's “Action Score” of the “Block” “Dodge” or “Parry” “Reaction” are successful.

When an “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” lands successfully, the damage dealt to the Target must be determined and, to do so, a “Dice Pool” equal to the value of the Character's “Body” “Attribute” must be rolled and the Weapon's “Damage Bonus” must be added to its “Roll Score” the resulting number will represent the "Damage Score" of the “Attack” "Action". Then, if the Owner of the attacking Character didn't previously called an “Aim Specific” “Action” tied to this “Attack” “Action”, she must make one or two “Body Rolls” for each successful “Attacks” of this “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)”, to determine which “Body Parts” has been hit (See the “Body Roll” Section at p.*PH*). Unless specified otherwise “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” “Actions” deals “Physical Damage” “Damage Type”.

AS A “REACTION”:
An “Attack (Dual Close Range Weapons)” may be called as a “Reaction” under two circumstances.

- Interrupting Movement: If a potential Target is enacting a “Climb”, “Jump”, “Rotate”, “Walk/Run” “Action” in a location that is between 10 and 2 o'clock from where the enacting Character is facing and is also within her/his “Range”. The reacting Character gets a +1 to her/his “Action Score”.

- Counter Attack: It may be called as a “Reaction” directly after the reacting Character made a successful “Parry” “Reaction”. In this case, the reaction can only target the reacting Character's Attacker if she/he is in the “Range” of the Character and is in between 10 and 2 o'clock from where the Character is facing.

See the sub-subsection of the same name under the “Attack (Single Close Range Weapon)” at p. *PH*.

CRITICAL FAILURE
In the case of a “Critical Failure”, the attack automatically fails and the Owner rolls two dice subsequently; the first for the left hand and the second for the right hand. If a die falls on a number inferior to 4, the Character accidentally drops the weapon held in the correspondent hand; if it is superior to 3, the Character somehow accidentally hurt herself/himself with the weapon held in the correspondent hand, inflicting both of its “Damage Bonus” as “Damage Score” to her/himself; the Owner has to make a or two “Body Rolls” for one or each weapons to determine which “Body Parts” will be damaged.

ATTACK (PROJECTILE-SHOOTING WEAPON)

Cost: Defined by the Weapons' “Manoeuvres”.

With this “Action” a Character will attempt to shoot a Target, with a “Projectile-Shooting Weapon” that she/he is already wielding. When one calls this “Action” for her Character to enact, one must first choose the “Target” of this attack and then choose the “Manoeuvre” that is going to be enacted by her Character. The Target, to be eligible to an “Attack (Projectile-Shooting Weapon)” “Action”, must be in "Front" of the Character, between 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock from where the enacting Character is facing, must not have an object or a creature which is wider and taller than the enacting Character obstructing her/him and must be within the “Range” of the Character's “Manoeuvre”. Once a suitable Target is selected, the Owner must make a “Competitive Success Check” which “Dice Pool” is equivalent to the enacting Character's “Dexterity” “Attribute”. The resulting “Roll Score” is added up with the “Skill Bonus” provided by the Character's level in “Handling Projectile-Shooting Weapon” and their sum will represents the value of the “Action Score” of this “Action”. If the Target is “Flanked”, "Showing Back," “Unaware”, “Surprised”, “Paralysed” or “Unconscious”, the Character gets a bonus of +1 to her “Action Score”. Then, if the Target is defending her/himself with a “Reaction”, the Game Master compares the attacking Character's “Action Score” to the “Action Score” of the Target's “Block” or “Dodge” “Reaction”. If the Character's “Action Score” is equal or inferior to the “Action Score” of the “Block” or “Dodge” “Reaction” of the Target the attack misses the Target. If the Target does not defend itself at all, the Character's “Action Score” must be superior to 1 in order to land a successful “Attack (Projectile-Shooting Weapon)”. Otherwise, the Character is considered to have attempted to “Attack (Projectile-Shooting Weapons)” with such incompetence that she/he couldn't even hit an unmoving Target. If the “Action Score” is superior to the Target's “Action Score” of her “Block” or “Dodge” “Reaction” the “Attack” “Action” is successful. When an “Attack (Projectile-Shooting Weapon)” “Action” lands successfully, the damage dealt to the Target must be determined. To do so, a “Dice Pool” equal to the value of the Character's “Dexterity” “Attribute” must be rolled and the weapon's “Damage Bonus” must be added to its “Roll Score”, the resulting number will represents the "Damage Score" of the “Attack (Projectile-Shooting Weapon)” "Action". Then, if the Owner of the attacking Character didn't called an “Aim Specific” “Action” tied to this attack before calling this “Action”, she must make a “Body Roll” to determine which “Body Part” has been hit. Unless specified otherwise “Attack (Projectile-Shooting Weapon)” “Actions” deals “Physical Damage” “Damage Type”.

What is written in this sub-subsection is also valid for the “Attack (Projectile-Shooting Weapon)”, “Attack (Throwing Weapon)” and “Throw” “Action”.

If, between the enacting Character and her/his Target, there is one or multiple Characters or Objects that are at least half as tall and at least half as wide as the enacting Character, there is a risk that the projectile hit them/these instead of the Target. Hence, before her Character enacts her “Attack (Projectile-Shooting or Throwing Weapon)” the Owner has to determine if her Character accidentally hits an obstructing Object or Character instead of a Target. To do this, the Owner must make a “Success Check” for every potentially obstructing Characters and Objects in order of proximity. If two potentially obstructing Targets are at the same distance, each of their Owners will throw a die, the one with the highest number goes first (If a draw occurs, the concerned Owners throw the dices again.). The “Dice Pools” for each of these “Success Checks” are equivalent to the value of the “Dexterity” “Attribute” of her Character and the pertinent “Skill Bonus” (From the “Handling Projectile-Shooting Weapon” “Skill” or from the “Handling Throwing Weapon” depending of the “Action”.) and their “Success Thresholds” will be equivalent to 1 + value of the “Height” in Tiles of the concerned potentially obstructing Object or Character minus the value of the “Height” in Tiles of the attacking Character's.

If one of the “Success Threshold” fails, no other is needed, as the attacked is now considered to have been obstructed and interrupted, and the obstructing Object or Character receives the enacted “Attack (Projectile-Shooting or Throwing Weapon)” instead of the Target and damage is determined as if it was a successful attack. If none of the “Success Check” fail, the Game Master and the concerned Players proceed with this “Action” as normal since the attack wasn't obstructed.

CRITICAL FAILURE
In the case of a “Critical Failure”, the attack automatically fails and the Owner rolls a single die: if the die falls on a number inferior to 3, the Character accidentally drops the weapon used for this “Action”; if it is inferior to 5 and is superior to 2, the Character somehow accidentally hurt her/himself with the weapon used for this “Action”, inflicting its “Damage Bonus” as “Damage Score” to her/himself; the Owner has to make a “Body Roll” to determine which “Body Part” will be damaged; if it is superior to 4, the Character hit a random target which is in front of her/him and in “Range” of the failed manoeuvre. To determine who gets hit, each of the Owners of all the potential Targets (Except for the initial Target.), be it Objects or Characters (Unless a Character or Object is protected by a “Cover”.), roll four dices. Then, they all add together the values on which their dices fell; the Character or Object of the Owner with the highest value receives the attack's damage but only with half of the additional damage provided by the “Dexterity” “Dice Pool”. If a tie occurs, the concerned Owners roll four dices; the Character or Object of the Owner with the superior sum ends up being the accidental Target of this failed attack; if another tie occurs, the dices are rolled again in the manner previously described and that until there is a clear loser.

ATTACK (THROWING WEAPONS)

Cost: Defined by the Weapons' “Manoeuvres”.

With this “Action” a Character will attempt to throw a object that she/he is already wielding at a Target. The weapon to be thrown must explicitly have the “Specific” of “Aerodynamic” or the character will get a -3 to their “Action Score”. When one calls this “Action” for her Character to enact, one must first choose the “Target” of this attack and then choose the “Manoeuvre” that is going to be enacted by her Character. The Target, to be eligible to an “Attack (Throwing Weapon)” “Action”, must be in "Front" of the Character, between 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock from where the enacting Character is facing, must not have an object or a creature which is wider and taller than the enacting Character obstructing her/him and must be within the “Range” of the Character's “Manoeuvre”. Once a suitable Target is selected, the Owner must make a “Competitive Success Check” which “Dice Pool” is equivalent to the enacting Character's “Dexterity” “Attribute”. The resulting “Action Score” is added up to the “Skill Bonus” provided by the Character's level in “Handling Throwing Weapons”: their sum will represent the value of the “Action Score” of that “Attack (Throwing Weapon)” “Action”. If the Target is “Flanked”, "Showing Back," “Unaware”, “Surprised”, “Paralysed” or “Unconscious”, the Character gets a bonus of +1 to her “Action Score”. Then, if the Target is defending her/himself with a “Reaction”, the Game Master compares the attacking Character's “Action Score” to the “Action Score” of the Target's “Block” or “Dodge” “Reaction”. If the Character's “Action Score” is equal or inferior to the “Action Score” of the “Block” or “Dodge” “Reaction” of the Target the attack misses the Target. If the Target does not defend itself at all, the Character's “Action Score” must be superior to 1 in order to land a successful “Attack (Throwing Weapon)”. Otherwise, the Character is considered to have attempted to “Attack (Throwing Weapon)” with such incompetence that she/he couldn't even hit an unmoving Target. If the “Action Score” is equal or superior to the Target's “Action Score” of the Target's “Block” or “Dodge” “Reaction”, the “Attack” “Action” is successful. When an “Attack (Throwing Weapon)” “Action” lands successfully, the damage dealt to the Target must be determined. To do so, a “Dice Pool” equal to the value of the Character's “Dexterity” “Attribute” must be rolled and the weapon's “Damage Bonus” must be added to its “Roll Score”, the resulting number will represents the "Damage Score" of the “Attack (Projectile-Shooting Weapons)” "Action". Then, if the Owner of the attacking Character didn't called an “Aim Specific” “Action” tied to this attack before calling this “Action”, she must make a “Body Roll” to determine which “Body Part” has been hit.

See the sub-subsection of the same name under the “Attack (Projectile-Shooting Weapon)” at p. *PH*.

CRITICAL FAILURE
In the case of a “Critical Failure”, the attack automatically fails and the Owner rolls a single die: if the die falls on a number inferior to 3, the Character accidentally drops the weapon used for this “Action”; if it is inferior to 5 and is superior to 2, the Character somehow accidentally hurt her/himself with the weapon used for this “Action”, inflicting its “Damage Bonus” as “Damage Score” to her/himself; the Owner has to make a “Body Roll” to determine which “Body Part” will be damaged; if it is superior to 4, the Character hit a random target which is in front of her/him and in “Range” of the failed manoeuvre. To determine who gets hit, each of the Owners of all the potential Targets (Except for the initial Target.), be it Objects or Characters (Unless a Character or Object is protected by a “Cover”.), roll four dices. Then, they all add together the values on which their dices fell; the Character or Object of the Owner with the highest value receives the attack's damage but only with half of the additional damage provided by the “Dexterity” “Dice Pool”. If a tie occurs, the concerned Owners roll four dices; the Character or Object of the Owner with the superior sum ends up being the accidental Target of this failed attack; if another tie occurs, the dices are rolled again in the manner previously described and that until there is a clear loser.

BLOCK

Cost: 2 Action Points consumed + 2 Fatigue Point Damage inflicted

With this “Action”, the Character will enact a blocking manoeuvre without being attacked. “Block”, when not employed as a “Reaction”, does not have many uses, beyond the demonstrative, but still is a valid move. When calling “Block” as an “Action”, one must specify with what already wielded Weapon her Character is going to make a blocking manoeuvre with.

AS A “REACTION”:
With this “Reaction”, the Character will attempt to block an incoming “Attack (Any Type)” or an “Kill/Disable” “Action” with either her/his own arms or legs or a wielded weapon. The Weapon, object or “Body Part” used for blocking will be inflicted the “Damage Score” the Character would have normally endured. To be allowed to call a “Block” “Action” as a “Reaction”, one's Character must be the Target of an “Attack” “Action” of any type and her/his attacker must be between 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock from where she/he is facing. When calling “Block” as a “Reaction”, one must specify with which already wielded Weapon, already wielded object or available “Body Part” her Character is going to use to block the incoming Attack. Then, the Owner must make a “Competitive Success Check” which “Dice Pool” is equivalent to the enacting Character's “Dexterity” “Attribute”. The resulting “Roll Score” added to the “Blocking Modifier” of the concerned Weapon as well as the “Skill Bonus” provided by the defending Character's level in “Handling Close Range Weapon” will give the “Action Score” of this “Block” “Reaction”. In the particular case of the attack reacted to being an “Attack (Single or Dual Close Range Weapon)”, there is an additional step to this “Reaction” where both the defender and the attacker both roll a “Dice Pool” equivalent to their Character's “Body” “Attribute” to add their respective “Roll Scores” to their “Actions Scores”.

Once the “Action Score” determined, the Game Master must compare it to the “Action Score” of the attacking Character's; if the “Action Score” of the defender is equal or superior to the “Action Score” of the attacker, the defender succeed in blocking the attack and the concerned weapon is inflicted the “Damage Score” of the Attack instead of her/him. Otherwise the defender fails to block the Attack and it hits her/him.

CRITICAL FAILURE
In the case of a “Critical Failure”, the enacting Character accidentally drops the weapon she/he was using to “Block”. As for the Attacker, if the value of her/his “Action Score” is above 1, she/he succeeds at hitting the Character.

DODGE

Cost: 1 Action Point Consumed + 5 Fatigue Points Damage Inflicted

With this “Action”, the Character will enact a dodging manoeuvre without being attacked. “Dodge”, when not employed as a “Reaction”, does not have many uses, beyond the demonstrative, but is still a valid move. The Procedures and conditions are them same as describe in the “As a Reaction” sub-subsection of this subsection except there is no actual Attack to dodge, hence, there is no need for “Success Threshold”.

AS A “REACTION”
With this “Reaction”, the Character will attempt to avoid an incoming “Attack (Any Type)” “Action” by displacing her/himself slightly or significantly. To be allowed to call a “Dodge” “Action” as a “Reaction”, one's Character must be the Target of an “Attack” “Action” of any type. When calling “Dodge” as a “Reaction”, one must specify which type of “Dodge” “Action” the Character is going to use to avoid the incoming Attack.

TYPES OF DODGE ACTIONS

Stationary Dodge:
When a Character enacts a “Stationary Dodge” she/he will try to avoid a strike by slightly moving while not moving from her/his current position. At the beginning this “Action”, one may choose to rotate their Character once for 45° in any direction. When Calling a “Stationary Dodge” “Reaction”, one must roll a “Dice Pool” which value is half of her Character's “Dexterity” “Attribute”. The resulting “Roll Score” plus the “Skill Bonuses” provided by the “Training Levels” the Character has in “Acrobatic” and “Handling Close Range Weapon” “Skill” will represent the “Action Score” of that “Dodge” “Action”.

CRITICAL FAILURE
The enacting Character trips and falls into a “Collapsed” Stance”, If the Attacker's “Action Score” is above 1, she/he automatically succeeds at hitting the enacting Character.

Displacing Dodge:
For the “Displacing Dodge” option to be valid, there must be enough free “Tiles” for the Character to move her/his entire “Size” next to her/his current location (Ex: A 3x3 tiled sized Character must, to be able to enact a “Displacing Dodge” have a free spot of at least 3X3 tiles, touching the current 3x3 location the Character is occupying.). At the beginning this “Action”, one may choose to rotate their Character once for 45° in any direction. When calling for a “Displacing Dodge”, the Character will attempt to dodge while moving to a selected space of the same size she/he is already in next to her current position. Then, to determine if this “Dodge” “Action” is successful, The Owner of the Character rolls a “Dice Pool” equivalent to her/his “Dexterity” “Attribute”. The resulting “Roll Score” plus the “Skill Bonuses” provided by the “Training Levels” the Character has in “Acrobatic” and “Handling Close Range Weapon” will represent the “Action Score” of that “Dodge” “Action”. The Game Master then must compare the “Action Score” of the defending Character with the “Action Score” of the attacking Character. If the “Action Score” of the defender is equal or superior to the “Action Score” of the attacker, the defender succeeds in dodging the “Attack” and avoids any damage. If the “Action Score” of the defender is lower than the “Action Score” of the attacker, the defender fails to “Dodge” and the “Attack” “Action” of the Target succeeds. Finally, the Owner has the option to decide either if her Character stays on that spot or if she/he immediately moves back to her/his original position.

CRITICAL FAILURE
The owner of the enacting Character rolls a die; if it falls on a number inferior to 4 The enacting Character trips and falls into a “Collapsed” “Stance” on the original spot; if it falls on a number above 3, the Character trips and falls into a “Collapsed” “Stance” on the spot she/he was displacing. In both cases, if the Attacker's “Action Score” is above 1, she/he automatically succeeds at hitting the enacting Character.

Here's a sample weapon (Arming sword) to understand the "Manoeuvre" concept.

CLOSE RANGE WEAPON TYPE

Shared Weapon Type Specific for “Close Range Weapons”:

- Body Requirement Failure: When a Character fails the “One-Hand Body Requirement” or the “Two-Hand Body Requirement” for an “Action” involving a “Close Range” weapon, she/he is inflicted with a penalty to her/his “Action Score” which value is equal to the difference between the value of the Character's “Body” “Attribute” and the value of the Weapon's “Body Requirement”. Also, the value of “AP Costs” for the “Actions” Making use of the concerned weapon are also augmented by the value of this difference. Finally, the concerned Character also loses all “Manoeuvrability Bonuses” she/he might have benefited from.

Example of “Body Requirement Failure” with close range weapon:

Isabelle, a Kobold Scholar, find a “Great Axe” inside the armoury of her nemesis' castle and seizes it, with her two hands, to defend herself against some hostile guards who are pursuing her. Unfortunately for her, the value of her “Body” “Attribute”, which is of 1, is insufficient for the two-handed “Body Requirement” “Weapon Propriety” tied with the Great Axe which is of 2.5. The difference between the two values is of 1.5, making weapon unwieldy (- 1.5 to “Action Scores”.) and slow (+1.5 for “Actions” AP Cost.) in Isabelle's hands.

- Attachable: All close range weapons except for a few exceptions (It is indicated in the weapons' descriptions.) can be attached to the “Hook” of a “Belt” with a “Sheet” “Action”.

Shared “Manoeuvre” related “Specifics” for “Close Range Weapons”:

- One Hand Manoeuvres: If one decides that her Character will use a single hand to enact an “Attack (Single or Dual Close Range Weapon)” “Action” and if that Character is currently wielding no other weapon than the one used for this “Action”, this Character benefits from a “Manoeuvrability Bonus” of +2 to her “Dice Pool” and will be inflicted a penalty of + 1 to the “AP Cost” of the “Manoeuvre”. Also, when a Single-Handed “Manoeuvre” hits, the “Dices Pool” for the “Damage Score” will be equivalent to one time the value of the enacting Character's “Body” “Attribute”.

Two-Handed Manoeuvres
If one decides that her Character will use a single hand to enact a successful “Attack (Dual or Single Close Range Weapon)” “Action”, the “Dices Pool” for the “Damage Score” will be equivalent to twice the value of the enacting Character's “Body” “Attribute”. To be able to make two handed “Manoeuvres”, the concerned Character must be currently holding only but a single Weapon.

- Half-Axe/Half-Lance/Half-Sword Thrust:
Specifics:
- Requires Both Hands.
- Handling Adjustment: If the previous “Manoeuvre” enacted by the enacting Character during that “Crisis” was not a “Half-Axe/Half-Lance/Half-Sword Thrust” “Manoeuvre” this “Manoeuvre” cost one more “Action Point” than its regular cost. Also, if the “Manoeuvre” following this one during this “Crisis” is not a “Half-Axe/Half-Lance/Half-Sword Thrust” “Manoeuvre”, that “Manoeuvre” will cost one more “Action Point” than its regular cost.
- +1 to the “Action Score” of this “Manoeuvre” if the Enacting Character is aiming at a small or smaller than small object or at an Armour's Opening.

- Lunge:
Specifics:
- Single Hand “Manoeuvre”.
- Requires that the Target must be at least 1 “Tile” away from the enacting Character or she/his inflicted a -1 penalty to her/his “Action Score”. (Exception: Battle Hatchet, Cudgel (Wooden, Small.) Great Axe, Great Axe (With Spear Tip.), Great Mace, Great Morning Star and Great Sword.)
- To achieve this “Action”, the enacting Character must extend her/his full body, leaving her/himself vulnerable to attacks and counterattacks that would take place right after this “Action” before any other "Action" took place. If the enacting Character get attacked right after this “Action” either by an “Attack” “Action”, “Reaction” or “Delayed Action”, she/he suffer from a -1 penalty to her/his “Action Score” if she/he attempts to enact either a "Block", “Dodge” or a “Parry” “Reaction” to defend her/himself.

Shared “Specifics” for “Knives and Swords” “Weapon Subtype” (Exception: Dotanuki, Katana, Rapier, Smallsword, Tachi, Wakizashi)

- Soft-Iron-Core Blade: Meta-explanation: the weapon's “Degradation Type” is “Soft-Iron-Core Blade” (See the “Soft-Iron-Core Blade” sub-subsection in the “Items degradation” subsection in the “Items” Section at p.*PH*.)

Shared “Manoeuvres” related “Specifics” for “Knives and Swords” “Weapon Subtype”:

-Thrust
Specifics:
-Requires that the Target must be at least 1 “Tile” away from the enacting Character or she/his inflicted a -1 penalty to her/his “Action Score”.(Exceptions: Combat Knife, Cutlass, Dagger, Great Scimitar, Great Arming Sword, Katana, Short Sword, Smallsword, Thick Dagger, Wakizashi.)

-Slash
Specifics:
-Wide Strike: The Owner of the enacting Character has the choice to invoke or not invoke this specific. If the “Attack (Single or Dual Close Range weapons)” is not used in conjunction with a “Aim” “Action”, if the Character has at least the “Expert” “Training Level” of “Handling Close Range Weapons”, if the Character fills the “Body Requirement” of the wielded Weapon and if the attack was not “Parried” or “Blocked” by the original Target, the Owner of the enacting Character is allowed to invoke the “Wide Strike” specific for her/his “Slash” “Manoeuvre. When invoking this “Specific”, all potential Targets (Including all allied or neutral Characters and Objects of at least half the “Height” of the Character and half the “Size”.) within the Character's “Range” and “Front” may be hit by this attack. To determine which of them are hit, the Owners of each potential Targets one rolls a die; those who rolled a 6, in increasing order of “Priority Scores”, may call, if they have enough “Action Points left, “Block”, “Dodge” or “Parry” “Reactions” as if it was a regular “Attack (Single or Dual Close Range Weapons)” and the “Action Score” of these “Reactions” receives a bonus of +1 and the attacker loses her/his “Manoeuvrability Bonus” if any. If, at one point, the attack is either “Parried” or “Blocked”, the attack is stopped and the Characters that would have followed the successful defender do not need to defend themselves against that particular attack anymore. The Damage caused by the “Wide Swipe” (Other than the main Target who takes regular damage.) specifics is determined slightly differently than with a normal “Attack (Single or Dual Close Range Weapons)”: the “Dices Pool” that would normally be equal to the value of the Attacker's “Body” “Attribute” and added to the “Weapon Damage Bonus” is simply halved (Rounded down to the closest truncated value or tie. In this case the “Dices Pool” may be of 0 die). If this specific is not invoke, the “Slash” Manoeuvre will only potentially affect the original Target.

Shared “Manoeuvres” related “Specifics” for Double-Edged Swords (Longsword, Great Sword, Arming Sword and Short Sword):

- Slash
Specifics:
- “Manoeuvrability Bonus”: (Benefiting from this Bonus requires at least the “Initiate” “Training Level” in “Handling Close Range Weapons” from the enacting Character.) This weapon's double-edge and graspable pummel makes it manoeuvrable even if enacted with both hands.(Bonus of +2 to the “Dice Pool” of "Attack (Single Close Range Weapon)" "Actions" if the weapon is used with both hands.)

ARMING SWORD
One hand BR: 4
2 Hands BR: 2
MSR: Expert “Training Level” of “Handling Close Range Weapons”
Draw/Sheet AP cost: 3 AP
Solidity: 7
Parry Modifier: 0
Assassination Modifier: -2
Block Modifier: -2
Parry Modifier: 0
Upkeep:4
Mass: 4
Volume: 4

Manoeuvres for “Attack (Single Close Range Weapon) and (Dual Close Range Weapons)”:

-Slash
Action Points Cost: 3 AP
Damage Bonus: 8 Slashing DP + 1 Additional Blunt DP
Damage Type: Slashing
Range Bonus: 2 Tiles

-Thrust
Action Points Cost: 3 points
Damage Bonus: 11 Piercing
Damage Type: Piercing
Range Bonus: 2 Tiles

-Half-Sword Thrust
Action Points Cost: 3 AP
Damage Bonus: 11 Piercing DP
Range Bonus: 1 Tile

-Lunge
Action Points Cost: 4 points
Damage Bonus: 11 Piercing
Range Bonus: 4
Last edited by Copper Helm on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Copper Helm
NPC

Post by Copper Helm »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Copper Helm wrote:- Dynamic “Attributes”: “Primary Attributes”: “Body”, “Intuition” and “Will”; “Secondary Attributes” (Average of the combination of two “Primary Attributes”): “Dexterity” (“Body” + “Intuition”/2), “Endurance” (“Body” + “Will”/2) and “Intellect” (“Intuition”+”Will” /2).
This sort of thing was done in AD&D2 Skills and Powers. A slightly different version was done in SR3. Sub attributes generally devolve into people taking the good one and not the bad one (no one invests points into the "half" of Constitution that doesn't give you hit points). And derived stats force everyone who cares about the derived stat to have to max both of the feeder stats.

In your example, anyone who wants Dexterity is going to have to max Body and Intuition. This essentially makes anyone who has a Dexterity thing they need to do automatically have multiple attribute dependency. It's like D&D4's 2 attribute builds, but it's more complicated and thus easier for players to screw up.

-Username17
Not quite, I've took this in consideration:

Let's take a human Character, "Quirks" aside, humans begin with 3 for all their "Attributes" and are only allowed to allocate 2 points at the "Character Creation Phase". Hence, a Character may only concentrate either concentrate on one primary attribute or share it between two. Furthermore, Character are only allowed to naturally augment their "Primary Attributes" up to twice their value after the Character was at the beginning of her/his career. Hence a character with a "Body" of 3 will only be allowed to augment it up to 6 while another who put both points in "Body" (5) will be able to augment her/his "Primary Attribute" up to 10.

Also, every "Attributes" have its use. I'll put below the description from my prototype but I'll sum up the cash about them.

"Body" is about damage input and output and being able to use big weapons properly.

"Endurance" (B+W) is about carrying capacity (which factor with being able to wear an heavy armour properly), fatigue and resistance to natural "ailments" (Disease, wound, ex.) and healing (Including magical healing).

"Will" is about resisting or inflicting mana-based "ailments", imposing stuff to people with weaker personality and haggling.

"Intellect" (Intui+W) is about beginning with more skill, appreciating, appraising and using Mana Powers properly.

"Intuition" is about checking for hidden things, communicating with people and basket-weaving stuff.

"Dexterity" (B+Intui) is about being able to do things properly and rapidly.
ATTRIBUTES:
In “Age of Mana”, Characters possess six numerical values which define both their physical and psychological characteristics, these are referred to as “Attributes”. “Attributes” are divided in two types: “Primary Attributes” and “Secondary Attributes”. When the rules are referring to the “Normal Value” of an “Attribute”, it refers to the value of the “Attribute” without any bonuses which do not explicitly state that they become parts of the “Normal Value” of that “Attribute”.

PRIMARY ATTRIBUTES
The “Primary Attributes” are the only “Attributes” which the Owner is allowed to directly modify during the “Character Creation Phase”. “Primary Attributes” constitute of one physical “Attributes” (“Body”) and two mental ones (“Intuition” and “Will”).

BODY
This “Attribute” represents the general fitness and strength of a Character. The things on which the “Body” “Attribute” has influence on are “Damage Scores” (Both those being dealt to the Character and those dealt by by her/him.), the sort of Weapon a Character may properly use and how heavy the things a Character is allowed to lift or displace.

INTUITION
This “Attribute” represents the ability of the Character for innate understanding. The things on which the “Intuition” “Attribute” has influence on are “Skills” and “Actions” which requires empathy, flair and/or creativity.

WILL
This “Attribute” represents the Character's mental focus and perseverance. The things on which the “Will” “Attribute” has influence on are “Skills” and “Actions” which requires drive and/or determination, the ability to keep on trying “Actions” without being inflicted the “Discouraged” “Ailment”, the solidity of the Character's psyche and the resistance to certain “Mind Altering” “Mana Powers”.

SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
“Secondary Attributes” are “Attributes” which value are the average of the “Primary Attributes”. This averaging process is persistent, so if, for whatever reasons, the Character's “Primary Attribute” are modified, so are his “Secondary Attributes”. “Secondary Attributes” constitute of one mental “Attribute” (“Intellect”) and two physical ones (“Dexterity” and “Endurance”).

DEXTERITY (BODY + INTUITION / 2)
This “Attribute” represents the agility, swiftness and accuracy of the Character. The things on which the “Dexterity” “Attribute” has influence on are “Action Point Pools” and “Actions” that requires both quickness and precision. Its value is the Average of both the “Body” and the “Intuition” “Primary Attributes”.

ENDURANCE (BODY + WILL / 2)
This “Attribute” represents the toughness of the Character. The things on which the “Intuition” “Attribute” has influence on are “Carrying Capacity”, “Fatigue”, healing and consequences tied to “Ailments” like injuries and disease. Its value is the Average of both the “Body” and the “Will” “Primary Attributes”.

INTELLECT (INTUITION + WILL / 2)
This “Attribute” represents the learning and deductive capacities of the Character. The things on which the “Intellect” “Attribute” has influence on are the initial amount of “Skills Points” received at the “Character Creation Phase” as well as “Skills” and “Actions” which requires reason and comprehension. Its value is the Average of both the “Intuition” and the “Will” “Primary Attributes”.
So yeah, somebody can make a close combat machine, which is okay, that's going to be one of her/his role on the team, but other Characters may specialize doing other things and still be useful in and out of combat. Somebody who would focus on the "Will" could be a hell of an haggler, have a lot of skills (Since "Will" influence on "Intellect"), and pretty good spiker in combat.

The 4 "Intuition" + 4 "Body" Character will also be able to be something outside of combat. Her/his high "Intuition" potential (8) makes her/him a good candidate to be the face or the enforcer of the team.

My point is that NONE of these "Attribute", "Primary" or "Secondary", are inferior. This is just meant to avoid bad min-maxing where Player Characters fill only one role. You can be a wizard type character that knows martial art or be a fighter with some level of intelligence and skill without feeling horribly dirty about. What I attempted to do is to create a game is built around creating Characters who fill multiple rolls an can't overspecialize.

Oh yeah. Everybody can be infused with magic within my game. So the fighter will be able to warp reality at one point and give a wedgie to the spellcaster. The spell caster will be just better than her/him at it if nobody gives her/him a wedgie.
Last edited by Copper Helm on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Copper Helm
NPC

Re: Age of Mana

Post by Copper Helm »

Red_Rob wrote:
Copper Helm wrote:- Stalker's exclusive reliance on cash for character improvement (No Exp.)
Whilst this might work fine in a computer game where the designers can ensure you only have access to a steady trickle of valuable items, in an RPG you need to be aware the players are going to find ways to short-cut the expected wealth system. From stripping assets to stealing cars, incentivising players to find ways to gain money has historically not worked out well in RPG's. This is a general flaw with tying out-of-game advancement to an in-game metric.

Also, having all your advancement tied to monetary possessions can feel unsatisfying for the player - you want to feel your character is a badass, not that anyone with the same toys could do their job. I guess it fits the whole disposable street cyberpunk ethic, but I think you'll find a lot more people play RPG's for escapism and wish fulfillment than as an exercise in nihilism.
Well, in the default setting of my game money is hard to come by, so scheming to accumulate power from both a RPG and social standpoint is actually the idea. Also, the money may be spent on training, so the Characters will definitely be or become badasses without any equipment. I just don't want Player Characters to engage in murder sprays out of the blues just to hone their skills (That's okay, dude you can train after the heist, you don't need to massacre more guards during your spare time.).

I should clarify, the setting of this game is a Mana-tech imperial city-state where the Characters are in a shitty socio-economical situation and form "Companies" (A wordplay on the civilian and military means of the term.) composed of "Venturers" who attempt to better their condition through sponsored or self-initiated "Ventures".