The earliest instance of Fighters getting unique mechanics?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

The earliest instance of Fighters getting unique mechanics?

Post by OgreBattle »

By that I mean giving non-magic users their own resource mechanic to fiddle with for special moves and not just going through at-will "I attack/grapple" actions.

An earlier-than-3e edition of D&D had "kiai" as a daily power for samurai to hit things extra hard but I'm not sure which one did that. Did earlier editions have "Ki" for monks too?
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Not ki points, no. Monks did have a bunch of once/day moves from their first introduction (pre-AD&D) though, 3e didn't invent that.

Psionics was an option in AD&D for anyone - fighters included.
shlominus
Journeyman

Re: The earliest instance of Fighters getting unique mechanics?

Post by shlominus »

OgreBattle wrote:By that I mean giving non-magic users their own resource mechanic to fiddle with for special moves and not just going through at-will "I attack/grapple" actions.

An earlier-than-3e edition of D&D had "kiai" as a daily power for samurai to hit things extra hard but I'm not sure which one did that. Did earlier editions have "Ki" for monks too?
you're thinking of the samurai kit in 2nd edition's "complete fighters handbook".
complete fighters handbook wrote: The samurai and ronin are able to focus their vital energies to increase their Strength score temporarily. Once per day per experience level, the samurai or ronin can increase his Strength to 18/00. This lasts for one full round, and must be preceded by a loud kiai shout (making it impossible for him to summon this strength silently or stealthily). For that one round, all his hit probability, damage adjustment, weight allowance, maximum press, open doors, and bend bars/lift gates rolls and functions are calculated as if his Strength were 18/00.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

There was the old ability to rapidly obliterate low level opponents from AD&D 1st, if that is the kind of thing you are asking about.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

kzt wrote:There was the old ability to rapidly obliterate low level opponents from AD&D 1st, if that is the kind of thing you are asking about.
I have no idea of how old these actually are, but I own Rules Cyclopedia and fighters there have this and several other "Options".

Notably lacking from all these options is a resource mechanic, which was what OgreBattle asked for.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Korwin
Duke

Re: The earliest instance of Fighters getting unique mechanics?

Post by Korwin »

OgreBattle wrote:By that I mean giving non-magic users their own resource mechanic to fiddle with for special moves and not just going through at-will "I attack/grapple" actions.

Definitly not the earliest.
But Anima has one, where you expend Ki/Chi and you get it relativly fast back. And you can build your own moves (including teleporting to the enemy and carving them up).
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

I'd need to check the Rules Cyclopedia and I don't have the time now, but OD&D had Fighters' Options.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Arneson's home OD&D games apparently had some sort of "chop till you drop" cleave-esque setup for fighters going on. I don't think it was ever official, though(?), and I'm not sure when he introduced it.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

http://zenopusarchives.blogspot.com/201 ... thout.html

is what Frank's Dad used to run when he and I were kids.

It had something called "Fighter Abilities", but as I recall they were more like feats than like a resource mechanic - although they included various opportunity-type stuff, which is a resource mechanic if viewed from the right angle.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I guess Warrior classes getting Strongholds and followers for reaching level X doesn't count?