Red Hand of Doom IC

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Malakar will move to G13 inside his cloud and then ask his (now nauseated) "Raven" by telepathy to let him know if he detects the location of any creatures, and where.

OOC:
If I do not detect any, then next round I will start by moving to I15, and then taking an action which will be different if I then get an update on a location from my familiar at that point.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Alicia frowns as she recognizes the chanting coming from elsewhere, and lays her hand on the back of Giorgino's neck to soothe him afte rthe sounds of roaring. One final hissing sibilance and a wave of her hand adn three more glowing dots race out of her fingertips towards the last visible living hobgoblin involved in their ambush.

Spellcraft: 29

(15 more damage to a hobgoblin somewhere.)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Invisible, eh?" Valzeller remarks. "I take it that's the boor making the racket in the ruined house? I'll be able to see it just fine. Anyone care to join me in taking care of whatever churlish creature has attempted such base trickery and inferior sorcery against us?"

With that, Valzeller flies towards the house as quickly and effectively as possible (double move).
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"I won't be able to see it, but I can blast it fine if you tell me where it is."

Zeph will slowly climb back onto his horse. He'll make another burst of water pour out of hobgoblin D9 (DC 19), or if Alicia killed him already, he'll attempt to nauseate the hobgoblin at K16 (Empowered Minor Water Channel DC 21).
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Alicia's missiles drop the hobgoblin down, but Zeph cannot target the last hobgoblin in the open due to the tall fog between them.

Malakar enters his own fog. His familiar can't sense anyone nearby besides the hobgoblin on the center bleeding to death.

Flying around the fog, Valzeller lands near the house entrance to take a good look inside. He sees an hellhound next to an invisible hobgoblin in runed chain mail, an heavy mace at his belt, a light wooden shield in one arm and a unholy symbol in the shape of a black and red hand in the other, chanting mystic passages that his teammates can also hear.

Spellcraft DC 16
Bless
The hellhound approaches Valzeller and breathes fire upon the soul warrior, who proves immune to it. But before he can act, another hobgoblin and hellound, who had been hiding until then, reveal themselves from the dark corners inside the house! The hellhound rushes ahead trying to bite Valzeller, but its teeth are basically useless against his soul armor. The new hobgoblin however is clad in a light chain shirt and wields a bastard sword in each hand. He's taller and more muscled than the other hobgoblins you faced so far, and both his armor and weapons are finely crafted. The hobgoblin clashes swords together and calls:

“You! Uth-lar the Blade Bearer challenges you!“

The elite hobgoblin then roars and pounces upon Valzeller, slashing with both his swords at inhuman speed! The soul warrior is wounded twice.

The nauseated hobgoblin keeps limping away.

Meanwhile heavy footsteps can be heard from further down the road. Seems like another group is approaching.

Valzeller takes 12+15 slashing damage.

H is hellhound.
C is hobgoblin caster.
B is Blade Bearer.

I knew that Malakar said he wanted to move more if he didn't detect anyone but since Valzeller will probably report what he's seeing inside the house, I believe Malakar would rather wait before taking his actions.
Last edited by maglag on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Hey guys," Valzeller shouts to the party. "There's 2 hobgoblins and 2 hellhounds here. The latter can't touch me, but the former might prove troublesome. One of them is strong enough to hit me, and the other is the invisible guy we heard." He then addresses Uth-lar. "Shame you're ugly* and foolish enough to fight me, Blade-Bearer. You know how to brand yourself and you can fight well enough to hit me twice. Take that praise to the grave with you!" With that Valzeller unleashes a Soulfire Burst (5d6 force damage, 15' radius, Ref DC 17 half) and then moves back to space M-20 (hoping to prevent the Blade-Bearer from making another full attack on him and trying to let Malakar finish the other Hobgoblin and the Hellhounds off with a spell).

*Valzeller has no way of knowing whether or not Uth-lar is a handsome specimen of a Hobgoblin. He thinks all Hobgoblins are ugly.

edit: fixed coordinates.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Malakar moves to J18 right next to the nausteaed hobgoblin. If nauseated hobgoblins threaten me they I will cast defensively, if not then I won't. (I succeed on the cast.)

Web is targeted at FG20-21, so most all the space in the house will be webbed. (Spread, so it goes around corners). I am just outside the effect.

Familiar is nauseated for 3 more rounds.

Relevant Rules for Threatened squares:
You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action.

Since he couldn't attack me during his turn, because nasuea, I'm not sure if he gets AoO.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Zeph will ride south through the trees, around the stinking cloud to vertex 14.5,B.5 and then activate greater blink (2 minutes duration).
Blink

Physical attacks against you have a 50% miss chance, and the Blind-Fight feat doesn't help opponents, since you're ethereal and not merely invisible. If the attack is capable of striking ethereal creatures, the miss chance is only 20% (for concealment). If the attacker can see invisible creatures, the miss chance is also only 20%. (For an attacker who can both see and strike ethereal creatures, there is no miss chance).

Likewise, your own attacks have a 20% miss chance, since you sometimes go ethereal just as you are about to strike.

Any individually targeted spell has a 50% chance to fail against you while you're blinking unless your attacker can target invisible, ethereal creatures. Your own spells have a 20% chance to activate just as you go ethereal, in which case they typically do not affect the Material Plane.

While blinking, you take only half damage from area attacks (but full damage from those that extend onto the Ethereal Plane). You strike as an invisible creature (with a +2 bonus on attack rolls), denying your target any Dexterity bonus to AC. You take only half damage from falling, since you fall only while you are material.

While blinking, you can step through (but not see through) solid objects. For each 5 feet of solid material you walk through, there is a 50% chance that you become material. If this occurs, you are shunted off to the nearest open space and take 1d6 points of damage per 5 feet so traveled. You can move at only three-quarters speed (because movement on the Ethereal Plane is at half speed, and you spend about half your time there and half your time material).

Since you spend about half your time on the Ethereal Plane, you can see and even attack ethereal creatures. You interact with ethereal creatures roughly the same way you interact with material ones. For instance, your spells against ethereal creatures are 20% likely to activate just as you go material and be lost.

An ethereal creature is invisible, incorporeal, and capable of moving in any direction, even up or down. As an incorporeal creature, you can move through solid objects, including living creatures. An ethereal creature can see and hear the Material Plane, but everything looks gray and insubstantial. Sight and hearing on the Material Plane are limited to 60 feet. Force effects (such as magic missile and wall of force) and abjurations affect you normally. Their effects extend onto the Ethereal Plane from the Material Plane, but not vice versa. An ethereal creature can't attack material creatures, and spells you cast while ethereal affect only other ethereal things. Certain material creatures or objects have attacks or effects that work on the Ethereal Plane (such as the basilisk and its gaze attack. Treat other ethereal creatures and objects as material.
Blink, Greater
This spell functions like blink, except you have control over the timing of your "blinking" back and forth between the Ethereal Plane and the Material Plane. You can also ready an action to blink away from any physical or magical attack, with the attack missing automatically unless it also affects ethereal targets (as a force effect does). While blinking, you have no chance of interfering with your own attacks or your own spells. When moving through solid objects, you do not risk materializing inside one unless you actually end your movement there, in which case you materialize and are shunted off to the nearest open space, taking 1d6 points of damage per 5 feet traveled in this manner.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Alicia gently spurs her horse forward down the road towards her compatriots, skirting the fog, trying to reach a place where she can assist Valzellar.

(moving 60ft down the road)
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Valzeller's soul blast wounds both hellhounds and Uth-lar

“Coward cur!”-insults the hobgoblin warrior as he slashes his blades at Valzeller's back, scoring another wound!

Malakar covers his ally's retreat with a web that fills most of the house's inside and immobilizes both hellhounds and the caster while slowing down the blade bearer although several of the strands outside collapse due to the lack of solid support.

“A foul web? Cleanse it with fire, Zarr!”-shouts the blade bearer

“Slave beast, release Uth-lar!”-commands the hobgoblin caster.

The hellhound obeys and breathes out flames, incinerating away the web strands over the other hobgoblin as well as those blocking his exit out of the house. The burned Blade Bearer then swiftly steps over the web remains and closes in with Malakar:

“The Codex Goblinstartes teaches us to focus the enemy mages first when there's a chance!”

His blades strike down two of the wizard's illusions.

Zarr tries to cast something but fails due to the webs clogging him down.

The nauseated soldier keeps limping away.

The other hellound bites the strands around itself, reducing them to ashes as well with its fiery teeth.

The two other party members close in to the action.

Six more hobgoblins with longbows and greatswords arrive!

Purple line is the limit area of the web, the green scratched bits are those which were burned away/collapsed due to the lack of structural support.

Valzeller takes 11 slashing damage.

Malakar loses another two images.
Last edited by maglag on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Malakar will move back to I14 inside the cloud and fire an arrow at the bladebearer. He provokes an AoO which is aimed at him, not his images, and misses due to displacement. Then Malakar's attack misses due to the concealment from the cloud.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4876375/

Malakar will communicate via telepathy with his friend Zeph, and include Valzeller for simplicity.

There are a host of new goblins south of the house. If you are going to flame them all, try to avoid the house's interior, where I have a web placed. Inside the house are apparently two Hellhounds, dogs the breath fire, are immune to it, and take extra damage from cold.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"A coward, you say?" Valzeller asks Blade-bearer. "Coming from the brute who ambushed me only when he had superior numbers? Your words are weaker than your blades, fool. Unfortunately for you, the same can't be said for mine!"

With that, Valzeller flies 10' above Blade Bearer and roars at him (Fort DC 17 negates, 2d8 sonic damage plus deafness)

ed: laid off the stupid pills.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Telepathically to Malakar: "Got it. I'll just focus on the new arrivals then."

Zeph will quickly dismount to square D15, get to the roof of the house up through the wall and walk to 21E.

He'll look down on and grin briefly at the new arrivals before launching a fireball centerd on (25.5, E.5) to get all the new hobgoblins for 17 damage (DC 19 reflex for half, they're already at the edge of the blast radius so they won't get further moved even if they fail the reflex saves; fast dismount and fireball rolls in IC thread).
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Alicia spurs her horse forward again, tugging the reins to turn it down the path so she can lay eyes upon the hobgoblin down the path. She points one slender finger down the path towards the fight raging just outside the building and chants, then throws her hand outwards. Glitter flows from her hand and settles onto the area of the hobgoblin and the area immediately behind him.

(Move to O17, Glitterdust on H21, covers the hobgoblin but not Malakar, DC 17 Will save to avoid being blinded, -40 hide checks, covered in sparkling dust)
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Malakar retreats to safety inside his own cloud, although that also makes it harder to take aim at the hobgoblin.
For the record, having total concealment already makes you immune to Aoos.

Valzeller then screams at the blade bearer and a thin trickle of blood flows out of his ears.

“Grah, I don't need to HEAR to KILL YOU!”

Zeph barbecues most of the new wave of hobgoblins, altough one manages to dive for cover behind his near buddy so he's left standing. He places an arrow in his bow at shoots back at the elementalist, but the projectile passes harmlessly trough Zeph's body.

Alicia closes in to try to blind the blade bearer with her magic, but his will proves strong enough to resist, ending only shinier.

“You also dare to challenge me, witch? Then DIE!”

The blade bearer swiftly crosses the vegetation to close in with Alicia, delivering two powerful blows at her!

The hellhounds keep "chewing" nearby webs to ashes.

The hobgoblin caster keeps messing up his movements due to the strands around him.

Zeph is now the yellow-red circle so he won't be confused with the webs. Also he's in the roof.

Alicia takes 23 slashing damage.
Last edited by maglag on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Alicia utters a brief word and a shield of arcane energy ripples up around her, blunting the sword strike aimed her way. Bleeding heavily, she shakes her head and nudges her horse's flanks, bringing it back out of range of the blade bearer, retreating back up the road, out of range of its blade.

Concentration Check to use Spell Shield: 25 (Utilizing a second level spell slot, Alicia reduces the damage by 10 for 13. Then, Withdraw action up to double the mount's speed, to move back up the road out of range to C1.)
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Keep your distance from the big guy. I'll slow him down."

Zeph will move to 17G. And attempt to make water erupt from the Bladebearer. (Stun for 2 rounds (DC 19 fort negates) and Fatigued (no save) so he can't charge)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

As, quite in line with all the odds, the enemy has made his save is not stunned, therefore Malakar wastes it with his crossbow (masterwork longbow) until the end of time.

Hit roll 24, doesn't miss from concealment, does 7 damage. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4879128/

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Tossing caution to the wind, Valzeller charges the Blade-Bearer, power attacking for 5 (so +10 damage as per Races of War).

Rolls a natural 20, so at least an auto hit.
Rolls a 28 for confirm.
Assuming 28 beats this guy's AC, that's 38 damage (barring DR, elusive target, etc).
"Just die already" Valzeller shouts.
ed: otherwise it's 19 damage.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Malakar's arrow wounds the blade-bearer's exposed leg, but he seems ready to take more punishment.

Then fortune seems to indeed favor the bold as Valzeller's valiant charge finds a fault in the blade-bearer's armor and the soul weapon pierces through his chest, killing the hobgoblin instantly!

The remaining hobgoblins and hellhounds panic at the sight of their fallen champion and drop their weapons, running away! Still their armors are slowing them down and it'll be easy for you to cut them from behind should you choose to pursue.

Only the hobgoblin caster does not retreat, still stuck in the web. He lashes out with his mace if you get close, but he's powerless against you just shooting him from afar.

A closer inspection inside the house reveals three relatively fresh human corpses, that couldn't have been killed more than a day ago. Three seem soldiers, still wearing studded leather, one a merchant with a pouch filled with 355 gold pieces, and the third looks like a simple farmer. There's also dirty bedrolls and some cooking fires, suggesting the hobgolins had already been lurking in here for some time.

Enemy Loot:

Two masterork bastard swords.
Masterwork chainshirt

Holy Symbol from the cleric
(Knowledge Religion DC 15 upon close examination)
It's an holy symbol for Tiamat.
The caster's chain mail is a +1 Light Fortification.

Two potions.
(if you have any way to identify them)
Haste and Heroism

and 12x(Greatsword+Composite Longbow+chain mail) plus a lot of arrows from the grunt goblins.

With the blade bearer down and the caster with no useful spells left, it's your victory so I believe you won't mind I speeding up the mop-up. Feel free to describe how you finish the last stragglers.

Last edited by maglag on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Malakar encourages Zeph to kill the two remaining hobgoblins to prevent them from fleeing, and/or the hounds (presumably slowing them down with whatever means he has available for others to kill them).

Malakar will Bands of Steel the Hobgoblin, then dismiss his web. While zeph and the Soulblade begin the interrogation, he will first gather his mount and weapons, second comb over the corpses and the building with Detect Magic, looking for useful items. Then he will spend two minutes looking over the potions. Finally he will settle down with his spellbooks to prepare himself for future endeavors.

Malakar identifies the second potion.
A character using the detect magic spell can attempt a Spellcraft check to determine the school of magic associated with the item’s powers. If the character exceeds the DC for this check by 10 or more, the character magically divines the item’s functions, its means of activation, and the number of charges remaining.
A character can also use Spellcraft to identify potions. The DC is 25, the check takes 1 minute, and she cannot retry if she fails.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4879724/
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Goodbye, Blade-Bearer. A worthy adversary, but no match for me...er us," Valzeller admits. As unwise as he is, he realizes that he'd be dead if it weren't for the other party members.

Valzeller will take a composite longbow and a quiver worth of arrows from the hobgoblin's corpses. Mostly so he can kite when he doesn't have his Power Bands Soulmeld active. And he'll pursue and fire at the fleeing hobgoblins and hellhounds with said bow.

Once that is taken care of, Valzeller will move in to interrogate the last Hobgoblin with Zeph.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Conveniently, by the time Malakar is finished investigating the house and analyzing the items, Valzeller will have finished hunting the last stragglers from your enemies.

The hobgoblin caster doesn't seem very cooperative however:

"Kill or torture me if you want, I'll tell you nothing."
If you want more plot, you'll need some mind magic or diplo/bluff/intimidate checks.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Malakar will telepathically speak to Zeph: Hobgoblin invasion or something, get what information you can, use the glowing armored one, dumb creatures usually find that impressive.

Then he will go outside and find a nice place to sit and reset his spells.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Valzeller will spend time switching out his Blue Protective Mantle for his Blue Animal Charm, reducing his saves by 2 and his AC by 5 but increasing his Diplomacy by 5 (increasing it to +22). Once this has all been taken care of he'll approach the Hobgoblin, activating his Soulmeld and letting it sparkle gently as he speaks:

"Come now friend, as you can see I have no weapons or tools of war. I am your friend, and will do everything in my power to ensure that if you cooperate with us we won't hurt you. We just need to know what's going on with the goblinoid armies, and anything you can tell us about their plans, organization and/or leadership will be greatly appreciated."

(Valzeller gets a 40 on his Diplomacy check.)