The Problem of Spell Resistance in Tome Games

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

The Problem of Spell Resistance in Tome Games

Post by Kaelik »

So in a regular 3.5 game, there are a bunch of bullshit ways to get CL bonuses, and you can ever take feats to increase SR penetration.

Now in Tome, for obvious reasons, many of those CL bonuses either cease to exist (items, and yes, I used to have said item/still kind of do, but I think it doesn't balance well when all the classes are balanced around it not existing) or don't exist for most classes (Create Magic Tattoo) who are still casters and still face SR.

Presumably, to the extent that the math exists, it was designed for the possibility of PCs boosting CL and/or against SR. So there are a few solutions to this problem:

1) Wziards cast Conjuration Creation spells more, Stormlords use their supernatural abilities more, and Sphere Users cry salty tears more when they run into SR.

2) A scaling Caster feat: I can't think of any cool abilities to fill the other levels off the top of my head, but unless those abilities are really shit, I feel like this feat becomes effectively mandatory for a whole bunch of casters if they are any good at all.

3) Allowing each Manifester level to account for a +2 to penetrate SR under the Alpha Metamagic rules. I like the idea of only being able to use lower level slots to penetrate SR, because then SR is still providing a clear advantage to the monster. The only problem is/are that I can't off the top of my head think of anything else I would want the feat to do besides that, and just giving to all casters without a feat is at the very least outside the norm.

4) An Item that increases CL, but just for the effects of penetrating SR. I like this one best right now, but it feels bad to force a mandatory (bonus half of an) item on casters, thus reducing their choices for other items. But then again, everyone has to have a mandatory save increasing item, and the whole point of scaling items + effect was that all the scaling items were already secretly a tax on playing at that level, so the addition of another one doesn't seem too off.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I know this is 1000x more work, but would it be possible to just remove SR in all its forms and replace it with a set of immunities that are somehow thematically related to the creature/ability in question?

Like a Babau doesn't get SR 14, but instead has immunity to [Water] and [Fire] effects. Or an Ogre Mage loses is SR 19 in exchange for being immune to Cold, Compulsion, and Sleep effects.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Personally I'm fine with SR in general. The idea of it is to make magic less effective against the creature, and I think it does that in a non-terrible way. There are some ways around it (use spells that ignore SR) and it isn't a blanket "spells do not apply", it just makes them less effective. To me that's a good place for a defensive mechanic to be.

I did include a Tome feat that boosts CL for beating SR, but only for one school of magic per feat. I also left the Robe of the Archmagi with a scaling boost to CL "for the purpose of dispelling, overcoming dispels and piercing Spell Resistance", but that's a Major item so it isn't going to come up much. Generally I haven't seen SR be a major hassle to casters as much as keep them honest and make them vary their toolkit, which really isn't a bad effect on the game.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Friends and I removed SR from the game.

Then again we dabble with giving free domain spells and more to noncasters so that's all optional.