Fuck It

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I once heard somebody mention an houserule where monsters Bab caps at their CR for tome feats, I'll be using it for the big fat monsters filled with HD.

I'll add some wizards to the enemy groups since you insist. They'll do try to cast their own spells before going down.
Prak wrote:[
I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup won't allow you to count as wielding colossal mythril elvencraft weapons or any other size shenigans, again because I don't want to need to create spreadsheets to calculate top damage-weight ratios.
Right. It wasn't meant to deal with size penalties. That's what Jester or Son of Sparda do, this is just "you wield whatever's at hand". Hell, I'd be thrilled if you just allowed me to use people as weapons with I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup.
Using corpses as weapons will be ok.
radthemad4 wrote:Is this feat okay:
Koumei wrote:Deific Attention
You have a friend in high places.

Prerequisite: Worship a specific deity that you don't tend to piss off.

Know (Religion) is always a class skill for you. Additionally, once per day you may cast a single 1st level spell as a spell-like ability. This spell must come from a domain the deity possesses, and if it has any expensive material components or an XP cost, you must still pay it.

4+ ranks of Know (Religion): You gain one Domain power that your deity can grant, using your character level for anything that relies on cleric levels.

9+ ranks of Know (Religion): Your deity can sometimes intervene and save your ass. Once per day, if an attack would reduce you to 0 HP or less, you can elect for your deity to step in and halve the damage. You are still knocked prone, so it looks like you were killed, in case you want to play dead and not attract the wrong kind of attention

14+ ranks of Know (Religion): You now gain an additional spell-like ability once per day. It must also come from a domain list your deity offers, and has the same exception on costs, but it may be of any level up to and including 6th.

19+ ranks of Know (Religion): Once per day, you may smite the enemies of your deity, given some half-assed justification. This grants you a +4 bonus to hit, and deals an additional amount of Holy or Profane damage equal to 3d6 plus your character level plus your Charisma modifier. If this slays the enemy of your deity, they are so pleased that you may, at any point before the end of the day, activate a Heal spell upon yourself.
I'd like to snag the luck domain reroll.

If yes, what deities have the luck domain in your setting (for selecting a once a day 1st level spell)
Feat ok, and since nobody showed preference for any setting, we'll be using Forgotten Realms because it provides plenty of support material. All the big NPCs will be too busy snorting coke with something else to interfere in your actions.

So Luck Deity choices would be Beshaba, Mask or Vergadain out of the top of my head.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I'll have to ask you to use early entry tricks to qualify for normal Mysthic Theurge. Right now I don't see any, just the sigil boosting your CL.
Improved Sigil (Krau) is the one of choice. It lets me choose two spells to be auto-heightened by one level, thus giving me access to (one) effectively second-level Cleric and second-level Sorcerer spells.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Ups, carry on then.

Thus the party so far seems to be:

Kaelik as Kaelik wizard.

RelentlessImp as theurge.

Prak as barbarian berseker.

radthemad4 as a non-cleric as he's burning a feat for a pseudo-domain.

OgreBattle still thinking about what he wants to play.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

maglag wrote: So Luck Deity choices would be Beshaba, Mask or Vergadain out of the top of my head.
Abbathor, Beshaba, Brandobaris, Erevan Ilesere, Haela Brightaxe, Mask, Oghma, Tymora, Vergadain are the FR deities with Luck as a domain.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Thanks.

Does Alpha Metamagic work on supernatural abilities by any chance?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

radthemad4 wrote:Thanks.

God fucking no. It is probably already too powerful working on SLAs for classes that are balanced based on it not existing.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Thinking of getting the Greater Blink Blending feat, and using a flaw for Flyby Attack

This race okay?

Irikara of Horus
Type Humanoid
• Land Speed of 30 ft.
• Size of medium
• Fly Speed: 40 ft. with average maneuverability Irikara cannot fly while carrying a medium or heavy load. Flying requires a standard action to maintain. From 3rd level onwards, flying no longer requires a standard action to maintain. At 6th level, their fly speed increases to 70 ft. with good maneuverability.
• Dark-vision out to 60 ft.
• Wing Aided Jump: Irikara can use their wings to boost their jumping, giving them a +10 racial bonus to jump checks.
• +2 to Dexterity or Charisma (This is chosen at character creation, and can never be changed.)
• Immunity to mind affecting spells and abilities from evil creatures, and +2 racial bonus to saves against mind affecting spells and abilities.
• +2 sacred bonus to armour class against evil creatures.
• Fast healing = to ¼ of hit die, minimum 1.

Source: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=438945#438945
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

So flying and fast healing and positive ability score bonus and flat immunity to a series of nasty effect that would normally take a 7th level spell to get (spoilers: most of your opposition will be evil) plus some extras and no drawbacks whatsoever? I'll have to say no to that race.

What greater blink blending feat are you talking about exactly? Doesn't ring any particular ring in my head.
radthemad4 wrote:Thanks.

Like Kaelik said, no.
Last edited by maglag on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

maglag wrote:
I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup won't allow you to count as wielding colossal mythril elvencraft weapons or any other size shenigans, again because I don't want to need to create spreadsheets to calculate top damage-weight ratios.
Right. It wasn't meant to deal with size penalties. That's what Jester or Son of Sparda do, this is just "you wield whatever's at hand". Hell, I'd be thrilled if you just allowed me to use people as weapons with I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup.
Aww, no fastball specials?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Sorry, asking for that was stupid. My bad.
maglag wrote:What greater blink blending feat are you talking about exactly? Doesn't ring any particular ring in my head.
It's an Elemental Siphon specific feat.

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=174119#174119
Kaelik wrote:Ethereal Blending [Blending]
Prereq: Siphon
Effect: Taking this feat grants you an Ethereal Token that returns each time you replenish your pool. This token may be used as a fire or air token.

Alternatively the token may be expended to use Planeshift as an SLA with a destination on the Ethereal Plane, or to cause yourself to blink, as the Greater Blink spell, at CL equal to Character level. You may also use the token to Planeshift back to your last location on the Prime Material Plane from this plane.

In addition you can see onto the Ethereal Plane at all times.

Special: You may only take one [Blending] feat.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Ah, that one. Powerful, but then tome feats are usually pretty powerful so I'll say yes.
Prak wrote:
maglag wrote:

Aww, no fastball specials?
But the rest of the party are squishy casters. Why would they want to be thrown into melee? :mrgreen:
Last edited by maglag on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Ogrebattle will probably melee, at least based on the characters I've seen him play.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

maglag wrote: But the rest of the party are squishy casters. Why would they want to be thrown into melee? :mrgreen:
"Throw me into melee so I can set up a Surge of Fortune Combust on that Dragonlord."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Spell ranges? Also I'm assuming that at least one of the two people who have yet to really say much about their character will have a melee-y character.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Can I 'reserve' a flaw (i.e. take it now but not a 3.5 feat) and take Flyby Attack at level 6 if I also take Wings of Evil then (Assuming I take Product of Infernal Freedom of Movement or a play Tiefling)?

Also, does Freedom of Movement allow you to move your full speed while blinking?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

radthemad4 wrote:Can I 'reserve' a flaw (i.e. take it now but not a 3.5 feat) and take Flyby Attack at level 6 if I also take Wings of Evil then (Assuming I take Product of Infernal Freedom of Movement or a play Tiefling)?

Also, does Freedom of Movement allow you to move your full speed while blinking?
Blink doesn't limit your movement at all?

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Actually it does cut your movement speed by a quarter:
srd wrote:You can move at only three-quarters speed (because movement on the Ethereal Plane is at half speed, and you spend about half your time there and half your time material.)
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Any slots open? I'd like to try a necromancer cleric.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

... I love how it's shaping up that my elven conan-expy is going to be surrounded by casters.

CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Disregard females, acquire spell slots.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Glad we refluffed that little "Hate Magic" thing...

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Hey, it's not my fault that Robert E. Howard thought all magic-users were evil snakes. (Also a Conan expy would more likely be a rogue type, by the short stories originally written by Howard.)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This is true. I don't remember how I first decided to make the character I'm remaking for this, but basically I'm remaking a character who started out as "fuck it, give me five minutes and a wild elf odinist barbarian will replace the cleric of Hel that just got killed." Then I started working in levels of Berserk and Frenzied Berserker (and maybe the interplay of Rage/Battle Fury/Frenzy was all the reason I needed to make this guy) but he was fun. He wasn't really antimagic, but his shtick was being a very angry, very strong somewhat primitive elf who wound up looting the dm's special rule breaking adamantine "double keen" ogre's fullblade and later taking out a minotaur and his assembled goblin minions by chucking a bundle of alchemists fire and oil pints through a door and pulling it closed.

I carried him over to another game and was told "you're not bringing that ridiculous weapon into my game. But here, you can buy use activated gauntlets of Wield Skill and that will sort of help with the giant weapon thing." Then we fought an undead that dominated the fighter, and the cleric broke the enchantment while the barbarian was raging, so he wasn't switching targets and the cleric took it upon himself to pin the barbarian. And I looked at my sheet, and then up to the GM and simply asked "does a good aligned cleric count as a good aligned weapon?" and chucked the cleric at the undead and it became a thing. We had to fight some lizard people things and the barbarian grabbed one by the neck to use as a club.

He's kind of that gruff "just point me to the enemy" relishes in visceral brutal combat type.

...and he's going to get hit with allied spells so much, I'm sure, as he's charging ahead and the entire caster contingent is standing back and lobbing spells.

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Would you like me to open an IC "tavern intro" thread where your characters can meet, get plot exposition and decide to work together for a common goal while the crunch is being finished?

Also yes, the berseker will be able to fling/wield their living allies as improvised weapons.
radthemad4 wrote:Can I 'reserve' a flaw (i.e. take it now but not a 3.5 feat) and take Flyby Attack at level 6 if I also take Wings of Evil then (Assuming I take Product of Infernal Freedom of Movement or a play Tiefling)?

Yes for "reserving" the flaw that way, no to Freedom of Movement removing the speed slowdown of Blink, they're both already excellent buffs on their own.
CapnTthePirateG wrote:Any slots open? I'd like to try a necromancer cleric.
Yes, I could take another player. There seem to be 5 interested players so far (Relentlessimp, Kaelik, radthemad4, Prak plus ogrebattle, and the last one has been somewhat silent). A party of 6 is a bit big but still manageable without complications, plus gives some maneuvering room if one or two players suddenly disappear.

If you want necro cleric, you'll just have basic 1 HD humanoid corpses to start with, no 5-headed hydras corpses conveniently found on the side of the road.
Last edited by maglag on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I could go either with or without said IC tavern. Feel like just starting the game sooner is better, but if we are still going to be waiting on character creation for much longer, something is better than nothing.
maglag wrote:plus ogrebattle, and the last one has been somewhat silent).
In my experience, ogre usually expresses interest really early, and then disappears for a bit, then comes back either with a completed character or says he can't participate. Whether he just takes a long time to create a character, or just expresses interest, then does work and stuff, and only has free time to sit down a make a character in one sitting later, I don't know.
maglag wrote:If you want necro cleric, you'll just have basic 1 HD humanoid corpses to start with, no 5-headed hydras corpses conveniently found on the side of the road.
Also, gives more leeway to make all the fights bigger by adding enemies without scaling up the actual opposition as much. For my money, most D&D fights are better in the X-1 and X-3 pairing of enemies or the group of 3-4 of similar CRs than a single X enemy. More fun for everyone that way. But modules often are disproportionately built with single enemies or large groups of vastly under CRed opposition chaff.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.