Fuck It

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Okay, character donish. Technically I have potion gold to spend, because fuck potions, but aside from that looks complete.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Early entry tricks? I've got a thing for theurge-type characters (I played a lot of Mage/Priests in 2E) but going it without early entry kind of blows chunks.

Also, Kaelik, in your errata, did you really mean to make Strong Spell +10/+20? Seems odd given the rest are +1-+3, and completely unusable besides (Have to be a level 21 caster to Empower a level 1 spell).
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

RelentlessImp wrote:Early entry tricks? I've got a thing for theurge-type characters (I played a lot of Mage/Priests in 2E) but going it without early entry kind of blows chunks.

Also, Kaelik, in your errata, did you really mean to make Strong Spell +10/+20? Seems odd given the rest are +1-+3, and completely unusable besides (Have to be a level 21 caster to Empower a level 1 spell).
Pretty sure those are 1-2, if they are anything else in Alpha's stuff let me know. Because yeah, as a general rule, maximizing a magic missile is not worth the same as casting a level 20 spell, whatever that even is.

I think I probably did it out of spite to DeanRule as a joke, but then things fell apart and I forgot to change it back.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

That's what I thought, just wanted to point it out to be sure.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'm still working on a character concept. I'll ask questions if they come up.
RelentlessImp wrote:Early entry tricks? I've got a thing for theurge-type characters (I played a lot of Mage/Priests in 2E) but going it without early entry kind of blows chunks.
There's the Mystic Theurge here although that would have to be okayed with maglag.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so I'm thinking I might just use feats for the totem thing. Because everyone in Tome World is actually descended from an Outsider, of course. I'm thinking Barbarian/Berserk, and looking at going into Son of Sparda
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:There's the Mystic Theurge here although that would have to be okayed with maglag.
I'd honestly prefer he use early entry tricks. There has to be some actual cost to casting as a Cleric as well as a Wizard, and while at level 5 in particular the cost of not having 3rd levels spells feels sufficient, it really isn't in the long run, because the very next level he will be casting twice as many level 3 spells of both lists as any level 6 character. I prefer 1/3/both progressions, or at least a hefty investment in race/feats to get in.

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

That's pretty much my thinking too, Kaelik. I mean, in 2E, with multiclass you had half your XP going to each class, and Priests and Mages had exponentially growing XP costs that were a lot higher than other non-casting classes, so that was a pretty good trade-off for effectively being (generally) around one-and-a-half levels behind your single-class counterparts but having more spells than them. Plus the racial restrictions (Gnome or Elf). Investing in "This Race" or "These Feats" (or both) while having the same thematic feel feels like a better option to me.

...But I might just be grognardy about it. In any case, here is the character utilizing Illumian with Improved Sigil (Krau) since Naenhoon+Heighten Spell is off the table with the errata/Alpha metamagic changes. The basic build concept is high damage spell delivery, with some Clerical backup - a theurgic Mailman build if you will, but obviously without access to most of the cheese. I figure it won't step on Kaelik's toes as Malakar's spells seem mostly to be the Save-or-FuckYou spells.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Some classes I have in mind are...

-Kantian Paladin, Soulborn: Being an armored holy warrior has it appeal. The Kantian Paladin is super straightforward though Soulborn has more customizability

-Totemist: because Blue Mage was my favorite job in FFXI

-Samurai: Yet to actually finish a game playing one, but a guy with a hueg weapon to kill things is straightforward for PbP.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

OgreBattle wrote: -Totemist: because Blue Mage was my favorite job in FFXI
Consider my Blue Mage-ish Spellthief, contingent on the DM's approval.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

@Berzerker, in continuation of my eternal war against J "My blatherings about real life combat are relevant to D&D" E, I really don't understand why the Berserker puts on Full plate, and then puts on Padded armor on top of it, when obviously the sensible thing would be to put on Padded armor, and then put on full plate on top of that.

EDIT: Also, a character that hates all magic and mages while using magic items and adventuring with mages who will cast spells on him...

Please refluff that. Oh for god sakes.
RelentlessImp wrote:here is the character utilizing Illumian with Improved Sigil (Krau) since Naenhoon+Heighten Spell is off the table with the errata/Alpha metamagic changes.
Your character is slow :(

I smell a lot of dead horse flesh in our future, maybe my first level duration spell will end up being your refreshed at the end of every fight mount :(
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

If they kill Giorgino, I will roast them alive with Scorching Ray and eat their corpses.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

RelentlessImp wrote:If they kill Giorgino, I will roast them alive with Scorching Ray and eat their corpses.
I'm sure Giorgino2 will feel much better about his chances at that point.

EDIT: are you going to rock the Dragon spells of Wings of Cover/Flurry?
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I might, depending. They're a little too ridiculous on something Dragonblooded (especially Wings of Cover extending to party members), but ultimately it boils down to whether or not maglag allows them. If they are, then Wings of Cover for ohshit moments definitely, but Wings of Flurry's Reflex Half, 30ft range annoys me too much.

EDIT: Additionally I tend to only use Core and Spell Compendium to draw spells from rather than dumpster diving through all the books. It causes me so much annoyance to have to have 15+ books open when making one character, so I cut where I can. However, It's Cold Outside for Shivering Touch might be worthwhile... though knowing what I know about RHoD (what everyone knows), that might be a little too metagamey.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I was mostly going to suggest that you get special dispensation to extend Wings of Cover to Giorgino.

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

That's a good idea, actually. Oh well, here's hoping George lives long enough for me to get access to some form of flight. Or long enough to get third level spells, because then I'll just animate him as a skeleton. Or animate a giant and ride around in its ribcage.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

RelentlessImp wrote:That's a good idea, actually. Oh well, here's hoping George lives long enough for me to get access to some form of flight. Or long enough to get third level spells, because then I'll just animate him as a skeleton. Or animate a giant and ride around in its ribcage.
Oh, what am I thinking. I can give us all flight all day :) we can be the flight brigade, starting at level 7. It would have to be my once per day use of Mass Spell, but I could do it :)

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

:drool: And you can lock them down from the skies, and I shall blow them up!

:laser:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

OgreBattel wrote:-Samurai: Yet to actually finish a game playing one, but a guy with a hueg weapon to kill things is straightforward for PbP.
This is what I'm aiming at with my barbarian.
Kaelik wrote:@Berzerker, in continuation of my eternal war against J "My blatherings about real life combat are relevant to D&D" E, I really don't understand why the Berserker puts on Full plate, and then puts on Padded armor on top of it, when obviously the sensible thing would be to put on Padded armor, and then put on full plate on top of that.
I understand where he's coming from, but, yeah, that's dumb. However, while it's obviously suboptimal compared to Fullplate+Padded, or whatever, I'd probably be using ironskin over chainmail, which is a little less unreasonable.
EDIT: Also, a character that hates all magic and mages while using magic items and adventuring with mages who will cast spells on him...

Please refluff that. Oh for god sakes.
Yeah. Fortunately that's easy "Magic Offends- The Berserk recognizes that spells are attacks, usually. Thus, casting spells or seeing them be cast, extends a berserk's rage just as if he had taken or dealt damage. He also gains the Mage Slayer [Combat] feat."
Last edited by Prak on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Prak wrote:Yeah. Fortunately that's easy "Magic Offends- The Berserk recognizes that spells are attacks, usually. Thus, casting spells or seeing them be cast, extends a berserk's rage just as if he had taken or dealt damage. He also gains the Mage Slayer [Combat] feat."
"Burn the Witch - A Berserker realizes that not all magic is created equal; that of his allies is good, while that of his foes is bad. Whenever someone hostile to the Berserker casts a spell, he may use that as a trigger to begin or extend his rage, just as if he had taken or dealt damage. He also gains the Mage Slayer [Combat] feat because his friends most likely want him to kill enemy spellcasters better, so they teach him what to look for to make it easier for him to kill them."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Honestly, the class needs a redux, both due to JE's weird formatting and some abilities needing better wording/better mechanics. Also, some abilities have dumb names. Fortunately, this is simple enough:
Furious Rager
"KRUSK IS THE STRONGEST"

The rage is unbearable. The hungry is maddening.
Some men, to improve their ability in combat, use ancient rituals to channel their anger into tangible power. This makes them a good deal stronger, and turns them into veritable war machines, but war often consumes them and leaves nothing of the original man.

Prerequisites:
BaB:
+3
Skill: Intimidate 6 Ranks
Proficiency: Must be proficient with at least one weapon which deals lethal damage (slams count if the character can deal lethal damage with them).
Special: Must have attacked and dealt the killing blow to a creature with CR (Character Level-2) or higher.

Hit Dice: d12
BaB: Good (1/1)
Saves: Fort: Good Reflex: Poor, Will: Poor
Skill Points: Balance, Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana, Dungeoneering, Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim (4+Int)
Proficiency: All weapons which deal lethal damage

Level: Benefits
  1. Angry Again, Second Skin, Ferocious Healing
  2. Burning Times, Hot Knife
  3. Mighty Thews, I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup
Angry Again: Levels of Furious Rager stack with levels of Barbarian for Rage and Rage Dice. Ending the Rage requires a Will Save with a DC equal to 10+last amount of damage taken by the Furious Rager in a single attack. The Furious Rager must deal lethal damage while raging.

Second Skin (Ex): The Furious Rager becomes so accustomed to wearing armor that it becomes a second skin. The Furious Rager may reduce the ACP of an armor in much the same way that an experienced warrior reduces ASP and increases Max Dex. Every point of BAB the Furious Rager has reduces the effective ACP of the armor he wears by one point. Compare the Furious Rager's BAB to this new reduced ACP to reduce ASP and improve Max Dex.
If this would reduce the ACP of an armor worn to 0, the Furious Rager may wear an additional armor. Usually, this means padded or leather armor worn under metal armor, but there is a tradition of using tabards and other such clothing over metal armor, and so the Furious Rager can wear their armors in whatever layering makes the most sense. The armors have separate ACPs, ASFs, and Max Dexes, and only the lower of the each uses this ability's allowance to use the full BAB to reduce them (the latter using the usual [BAB-ACP]/2 calculation), but both apply. The lesser of the armor bonuses is halved and then stacks with the greater of the armor bonuses, as if it were a natural armor bonus (but it doesn't become one).

Ferocious Healing: When a Furious Rager deals lethal damage to a creature, they gain Fast Healing equal to their levels in all classes which give Rage Dice. They retain this Fast Healing until they have neither dealt nor received damage for three rounds.

Burning Times: 2nd level Furious Ragers recognize the threat which magic poses, at least, when it's wielded by the enemy. The Furious Rager gains the [Combat] feat Mage Slayer. In addition, whenever an enemy casts a spell within medium range of the Furious Rager, they may treat it as a Rage trigger to initiate or extend a rage.

Hot Knife: The 2nd level Furious Rager's burning rage manifests in his weapons, turning mere steel into searing energy in his hands. All lethal damage dealing attacks made by the Berserker deal an amount of bonus damage equal to their character level. The flavor of energy is the Furious Rager's choice, and they must take a Swift action each round to continue this extra damage.

Mighty Thews: At 3rd level, the Furious Rager can swing his attacks with such strength that they can easily sever limbs. Any lethal damage dealing weapon the Furious Rager wields gains the Sharpness quality.

I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup: When all you have us a soup cup, you make it work. The 3rd level Furious Rager takes no non-proficiency penalties for wielding a weapon they are not proficient in, or an improvised weapon, and may deal lethal damage with any weapon, regardless of whether it normally would do so. Improvised weapons deal damage similar to their closest analogous weapon by size or weight, whichever is better (a broken bottle works like a dagger, a frying pan like a club, etc. Yes, a Furious Rager can use a pillow as a lethal damage dealing weapon through this ability).

(Name changed because I prefer to use Berserker for barbarian classes that involve animal abilities)
Last edited by Prak on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Disclaimer: top NPCs may be rebuilt using the homebrew that's being allowed.
Prak wrote:Honestly, the class needs a redux, both due to JE's weird formatting and some abilities needing better wording/better mechanics. Also, some abilities have dumb names. Fortunately, this is simple enough:
Furious Rager
"KRUSK IS THE STRONGEST"

The rage is unbearable. The hungry is maddening.
Some men, to improve their ability in combat, use ancient rituals to channel their anger into tangible power. This makes them a good deal stronger, and turns them into veritable war machines, but war often consumes them and leaves nothing of the original man.

Prerequisites:
BaB:
+3
Skill: Intimidate 6 Ranks
Proficiency: Must be proficient with at least one weapon which deals lethal damage (slams count if the character can deal lethal damage with them).
Special: Must have attacked and dealt the killing blow to a creature with CR (Character Level-2) or higher.

Hit Dice: d12
BaB: Good (1/1)
Saves: Fort: Good Reflex: Poor, Will: Poor
Skill Points: Balance, Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana, Dungeoneering, Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim (4+Int)
Proficiency: All weapons which deal lethal damage

Level: Benefits
  1. Angry Again, Second Skin, Ferocious Healing
  2. Burning Times, Hot Knife
  3. Mighty Thews, I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup
Angry Again: Levels of Furious Rager stack with levels of Barbarian for Rage and Rage Dice. Ending the Rage requires a Will Save with a DC equal to 10+last amount of damage taken by the Furious Rager in a single attack. The Furious Rager must deal lethal damage while raging.

Second Skin (Ex): The Furious Rager becomes so accustomed to wearing armor that it becomes a second skin. The Furious Rager may reduce the ACP of an armor in much the same way that an experienced warrior reduces ASP and increases Max Dex. Every point of BAB the Furious Rager has reduces the effective ACP of the armor he wears by one point. Compare the Furious Rager's BAB to this new reduced ACP to reduce ASP and improve Max Dex.
If this would reduce the ACP of an armor worn to 0, the Furious Rager may wear an additional armor. Usually, this means padded or leather armor worn under metal armor, but there is a tradition of using tabards and other such clothing over metal armor, and so the Furious Rager can wear their armors in whatever layering makes the most sense. The armors have separate ACPs, ASFs, and Max Dexes, and only the lower of the each uses this ability's allowance to use the full BAB to reduce them (the latter using the usual [BAB-ACP]/2 calculation), but both apply. The lesser of the armor bonuses is halved and then stacks with the greater of the armor bonuses, as if it were a natural armor bonus (but it doesn't become one).

Ferocious Healing: When a Furious Rager deals lethal damage to a creature, they gain Fast Healing equal to their levels in all classes which give Rage Dice. They retain this Fast Healing until they have neither dealt nor received damage for three rounds.

Burning Times: 2nd level Furious Ragers recognize the threat which magic poses, at least, when it's wielded by the enemy. The Furious Rager gains the [Combat] feat Mage Slayer. In addition, whenever an enemy casts a spell within medium range of the Furious Rager, they may treat it as a Rage trigger to initiate or extend a rage.

Hot Knife: The 2nd level Furious Rager's burning rage manifests in his weapons, turning mere steel into searing energy in his hands. All lethal damage dealing attacks made by the Berserker deal an amount of bonus damage equal to their character level. The flavor of energy is the Furious Rager's choice, and they must take a Swift action each round to continue this extra damage.

Mighty Thews: At 3rd level, the Furious Rager can swing his attacks with such strength that they can easily sever limbs. Any lethal damage dealing weapon the Furious Rager wields gains the Sharpness quality.

I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup: When all you have us a soup cup, you make it work. The 3rd level Furious Rager takes no non-proficiency penalties for wielding a weapon they are not proficient in, or an improvised weapon, and may deal lethal damage with any weapon, regardless of whether it normally would do so. Improvised weapons deal damage similar to their closest analogous weapon by size or weight, whichever is better (a broken bottle works like a dagger, a frying pan like a club, etc. Yes, a Furious Rager can use a pillow as a lethal damage dealing weapon through this ability).

(Name changed because I prefer to use Berserker for barbarian classes that involve animal abilities)
Second Skin is too freaking complicated. Can we just say you can wear a Light armor on top/under medium/heavy armor and they count as a single piece of armor that stacks both the benefits and penalties and call it a day?

Hot Knife will be limited to Acid/Electricity/Cold/Fire, otherwise all you'll ever pick is Force.

I'll point out that Red Rob's Sharpness ability does not sever limbs, just increases crit chances and ignores object hardness.

I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup won't allow you to count as wielding colossal mythril elvencraft weapons or any other size shenigans, again because I don't want to need to create spreadsheets to calculate top damage-weight ratios.

Everything else seems ok.
RelentlessImp wrote: ...But I might just be grognardy about it. In any case, here is the character utilizing Illumian with Improved Sigil (Krau) since Naenhoon+Heighten Spell is off the table with the errata/Alpha metamagic changes. The basic build concept is high damage spell delivery, with some Clerical backup - a theurgic Mailman build if you will, but obviously without access to most of the cheese. I figure it won't step on Kaelik's toes as Malakar's spells seem mostly to be the Save-or-FuckYou spells.
I'll have to ask you to use early entry tricks to qualify for normal Mysthic Theurge. Right now I don't see any, just the sigil boosting your CL.

Wings of Cover/Flurry is ok, although we'll go by RAW specific trumps general and thus the wings of Cover won't fully block area attacks. At least I intend to give Wings of Cover to the adventure dragons to block any pesky shivering touches and other nasty touch attacks. :razz:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

maglag wrote:Second Skin is too freaking complicated. Can we just say you can wear a Light armor on top/under medium/heavy armor and they count as a single piece of armor that stacks both the benefits and penalties and call it a day?
Fair. It's an unwieldy ability to deal with, I'm cool with just simplifying it.
Hot Knife will be limited to Acid/Electricity/Cold/Fire, otherwise all you'll ever pick is Force.
I actually don't consider Force an energy type, so I'm cool with cutting that out.
I'll point out that Red Rob's Sharpness ability does not sever limbs, just increases crit chances and ignores object hardness.
Huh. Ok, that's fine, Sharpness didn't exactly interact with the rules smoothly to begin with, what with the lack of meaningful effects for missing bits.
I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup won't allow you to count as wielding colossal mythril elvencraft weapons or any other size shenigans, again because I don't want to need to create spreadsheets to calculate top damage-weight ratios.
Right. It wasn't meant to deal with size penalties. That's what Jester or Son of Sparda do, this is just "you wield whatever's at hand". Hell, I'd be thrilled if you just allowed me to use people as weapons with I'll Kill You With My Soup Cup.
Everything else seems ok.
Awesome.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Is this feat okay:
Koumei wrote:Deific Attention
You have a friend in high places.

Prerequisite: Worship a specific deity that you don't tend to piss off.

Know (Religion) is always a class skill for you. Additionally, once per day you may cast a single 1st level spell as a spell-like ability. This spell must come from a domain the deity possesses, and if it has any expensive material components or an XP cost, you must still pay it.

4+ ranks of Know (Religion): You gain one Domain power that your deity can grant, using your character level for anything that relies on cleric levels.

9+ ranks of Know (Religion): Your deity can sometimes intervene and save your ass. Once per day, if an attack would reduce you to 0 HP or less, you can elect for your deity to step in and halve the damage. You are still knocked prone, so it looks like you were killed, in case you want to play dead and not attract the wrong kind of attention

14+ ranks of Know (Religion): You now gain an additional spell-like ability once per day. It must also come from a domain list your deity offers, and has the same exception on costs, but it may be of any level up to and including 6th.

19+ ranks of Know (Religion): Once per day, you may smite the enemies of your deity, given some half-assed justification. This grants you a +4 bonus to hit, and deals an additional amount of Holy or Profane damage equal to 3d6 plus your character level plus your Charisma modifier. If this slays the enemy of your deity, they are so pleased that you may, at any point before the end of the day, activate a Heal spell upon yourself.
I'd like to snag the luck domain reroll.

If yes, what deities have the luck domain in your setting (for selecting a once a day 1st level spell)
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

maglag wrote:Disclaimer: top NPCs may be rebuilt using the homebrew that's being allowed.
I would expect you to do that to some extent. Although, you know, be careful with Combat feats on Dragons with 20+ BAB at CR 10.

And while you are at it, you can make some Wizard enemies for me to kill and loot?