[Let's Play] Blood Sword V - The Walls of Spyte

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Eh, I'll leave the axe; too much of a chance of it having a direct link to Plague Star.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:In that case I heal for 4 and pass it all on to Benedict.
Healing roll = (6-1) x4 = 20 END regained. Trickster is back to 33 END, Sage is down to 17.
You run for an hour or so, just managing to keep ahead of the Black Riders, whose course through the woods is impeded by the thick growths of vines and brambles and overhanging branches. You lose one Die of Endurance during this time from scratches and falls. If your Endurance drops to zero, then you have collapsed through fatigue and the black riders have caught up with you. In this case they will show you no mercy.
Warrior takes 5 damage and has 23 END left.
Trickster takes 1 damage and has 32 END left.
Sage takes 1 damage and has 16 END left.
Enchanter takes 5 damage and has 9 END left!
Eventually you come to a clearing where you can see a small hamlet of wooden thatched houses. One or two villagers can be seen tending the fields in the vicinity.

If you wish to go and speak to the villagers, turn to 299. If you just want to skirt the village and press on, turn to 60.
Chat to the shit-covered peasants?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Let's talk to the villagers. At the next point I can heal I'll heal Reed.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Yeah, maybe we'll find the Resistance.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The villagers have an archaic way of speaking, but welcome you openly enough. Soon you are sitting before the village elders, where you are given food and medicines to heal your wounds. (You can use these medicines now or later. Each player is given a package of herbs and salves which will restore two Dice of lost Endurance. The package counts as one unit of encumbrance.)

The villagers show no surprise when you tell them about the black-masked riders. 'Thus the way of things is, here now in these latter days,' says one of the elders in a wistful, lilting voice. 'We must endure our lot, as the legends say, for in the hearthside tales of old it is foretold that not until the statue of Our Lady of Time is taken from Blackridden Castle up there on the bleak fells will the rule of the Black Riders be ended. What mortal, even a hero of myth, would brave the dangers that lie between us and the statue: the sleeping giant Snorrid and the flint-hearted wadwos that infest the castle? Not for our poor sakes, I think.'

'Do not be too sure,' you reply. 'What if a hero's interests coincided with your own, after all? But continue - what more can you say about the giant, and the guardians of the castle?'

He tells you that Snorrid lies across the path into the hills. Nearby, a witch set a pile of boots whose tread would wake him, so that any traveller who takes a pair of fine new boots from this pile is sure to meet a sticky end very soon after. The castle itself is the den of some ogres who daily defile the holy image of the Lady of Time. It seems that only the holy powder entrusted to the village elders will protect you from becoming part of the contents of the ogres' larder.

You surprise the elders by asking for some of the powder. 'None before has come who would dare to venture into the castle,' one says, handing over some of the powder wrapped in a dockleaf. 'Cast it at their faces, and they will choke on it as wholesome beasts would choke on a poison.'

After thanking the villagers for their hospitality, you set out towards the range of hills you can see beyond the forest.
Hey, we've got healing herbs now. Does the Sage still want to use his own healing abilities?
You set off up a steep path that leads over the low foothills towards the bleak fell in front of you. You struggle on upwards over the increasingly rocky path for an hour or so - hoping fervently that the time you spend here will not also be passing back in Spyte.

At last you come to a spot where the path seems to peter out. A grey patch of moorland stretches between you and the next rise. Beside the end of the path there is a large pile of shoes. You see heavy travelling boots, clogs and armoured shoes. Although some have been here so long they have mouldered away in the open air, others at the top of the pile are almost new. Ruefully you look down at your own boots, which have become rather worn in the many months of adventuring on your way to Spyte.

If you exchange you old boots for a new pair, turn to 18. If you are quite happy with your boots, worn and weatherbeaten though they may be, turn to 392.
I'm sure that story from the villagers are just rumours....right?

1) Take the new boots or not?

2) Who's carrying the holy powder?

3) Anybody want to use the healing herbs now or keep them for later?

4) How much is the Sage spending if he still wants to heal?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Don't take the curseboots. Kiki at least will throw down the healy-leaves now, and also carry the powder if no-one else wants it.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

It appears herbs can be used in combat, so Sage healing is preferable now that it's vastly more reliable. Anyway, I'm almost at full health, so herbs would be a waste.

Not taking curseboots.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'll still pop some healing on Kiki, rather than have her use up her herbs immediately. 4 EP worth again, all to the Warrior.

No curseboots.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

(Sigh), fine, Kiki will conserve these resources.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

No boots for me, thankyouverymuch.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Healing roll = (1-1) x4 = 0

Sage is at 12 END.
You continue on your way. After a while the ground underfoot becomes rather springy, and you sense a deep tremor moving up from the earth. You hurry until you reach solid ground again. There the freezing moorland puddles and the sharp flinty rocks make you wish you had taken new boots. Each player loses one Endurance point.
Warrior has 22 END left.
Trickster has 31 END left.
Sage 11 END left.
Enchanter has 8 END left.
You continue up towards the black ridge as dusk closes in and dark shadows begin to lie over the land. Just at nightfall you enter the courtyard of the castle. Suddenly the gate crashes to behind you, and you see dark shapes lining the shadowy doorways and battlements around you. You see the dark, sweaty faces of creatures you believe to be orcs. You must fight them. You have no opportunity to flee, as your escape route is cut off.

Orcs
Fighting Prowess: 6 Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 5 Damage per blow: 3 Dice
Armour Rating: 2
Endurance: 25 (each)

If you have some holy powder and wish to use it, turn to 297. If you win, turn to 193.
Kiki has the holy powder. Does she want to use them?

Either way.....strategies, everyone (include your preferred targets, please)?

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 12
Psychic Ability: 7
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 22/45
Damage: 2 Dice +2

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
3 Plate Armour (Armour Rating four)
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7 Holy Powder
8 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
9-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 10 (+3 from Blood Sword)
Psychic Ability: 7
Endurance: 31/37
Damage: 4 Dice +1 (+2d6 Damage from Blood Sword)

Items:
1 Blood Sword (+3 FP, +2d6 Damage)
2 Studded Leather Armour (Armour Rating 2)
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (5 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Book (looted from crystalized corpse) - turn to 493 if read
9 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
10 Empty Slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 11/31
Damage: 2 Dice +1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (4 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
9-10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 14
Endurance: 8/31
Damage: 1 Die +3

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
8-10 Empty Slot
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Damnit. I'm going to eat my healing herbs now.

Strategy depends on whether or not Kiki uses the powder.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I target O3.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Huh, I guess these are the 'ogres' the powder is supposed to be used on. I find it easier to believe that we've misidentified them in the dark than that some orc is rolling with 3d6 for damage.

Fling powder, await results.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Sheet Lightning, then Nemesis Bolt on the highest HP, then Swordthrust on the highest HP. That is, if the holy powder doesn't take care of them.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You throw the dust at the nearest orcs. They stagger back, coughing and retching. Moments later they fall to the ground, quite dead. The others are disconcerted, but they are still coming at you . . .

Orcs
Fighting Prowess: 5 Psychic Ability: 6
Damage per blow: 3 Dice Awareness: 5
Armour Rating: 2
Endurance: 25

If you kill them, turn to 193.
The text in this section actually calls them "Ores" instead of Orcs, which increases the likelihood that they were indeed misspelled "Ogres", but to keep it consistent I'll just use "Orcs" as in previous section.

Now that you've seen the powder's effects.....any new strategies?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Step west and fight.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I'll stick with my plan.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'll poke the nearest with my quarterstaff.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Starmaker wrote:Step west and fight.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Before we proceed, the Sage uses his healing herbs:

Dice roll = 5! Sage is at 16 END.

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior moves west and engages Orcs #1 & 2.

Trickster moves west and engages Orcs #2 & 3.

Enchanter casts Sheet Lightning. Orcs #1 takes 6 damage and has 19 END left. Orcs #2 takes 5 damage and has 20 END left. Orcs #3 takes 1 damage and has 24 END left.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage moves west and engages Orc #3.

Awareness 5 acts ...

Orc #1 fights Warrior. Roll = 6. (Hit!) Damage = 5-5 = 0. No damage!

Orc #2 fights Warrior. Roll = 6. (Hit!) Damage = 6-5 = 1! Warrior has 21 END left.

Orc #3 fights Sage. Roll = 5. (Hit!) Damage = 12-2 = 10. Sage has 6 END left!

Quick Thinking bonus:

Trickster fights Orc #3. Roll = 7. (Hit!) Damage = 16+1-2 = 17. Orc #3 has 7 EN left.

Round 2 ...

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Orc #1. Damage = 2+2-2 = 2. Orc #1 has 17 END left.

Warrior fights Orc #1 with off-hand. Damage = 9+2-2 = 9. Orc #2 has 8 END left.

Trickster fights Orc #3. Roll = 2. (Hit!) Damage = 13+1-2 = 14. Orc #3 is killed.

Enchanter casts Nemesis Bolt on Orc #2. Damage = 21+7-2 = 26. Orc #2 is killed.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage waits. (He can't kill Orc #1 with 1 shot anyway, and it's not going to survive the next round with the Warrior (twice) and Enchanter auto-hitting).

Awareness 5 acts ...

Orc #1 fights Warrior. Roll = 9. Miss.

Round 3 ...

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Orc #1. Damage = 9+2-2 = 7. Orc #1 has 1 END left.

Warrior fights Orc #1 with off-hand. Damage = 11+2-2 = 11. Orc#1 is killed.
The Sage might as well have stayed out of the fight, since he did nothing besides taking one crippling blow. :biggrin:
The courtyard is littered with dead and dying orcs, but you have no sympathy for the black-hearted creatures. A large black-stone keep rises up from the centre of the courtyard. Its gates are open, so you enter.
You climb up the stone steps to the doors of the keep, and into a dark entrance hall. The doors shut behind you with a hollow clang - seemingly of their own volition. You hear the fluttering of bats' wings above you in the rafters. Ahead is darkness. To the left is a stairway down to the cellar and to your right a door. Before you can decide on your next move, you hear the sound of a door opening and shutting in the dark ahead. This is followed by the clump of heavy footsteps.

Will you go down the stairs to the left, go through the door to the right or move towards the noise up ahead?
Left, right or centre?
Last edited by SGamerz on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Goddamnit. Tempted to blow a load on healing but given my recent luck I'll probably end up rolling a natural 1.

Go to the cellar (left).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Cellar.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Agreed; go deep.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You descend the stairs. They open out into a low cellar lined with several large oaken barrels. If there is a Trickster in the party, he or she can try to make an Awareness roll on 2 Dice-1. If you do not have a Trickster, the person with the highest Awareness can make the roll, but in this case on 2 Dice+1. If you are successful, turn to 110. If not, turn to 255.
No reason not to use the Trickster here, since the alternative is to make the same roll with a lower success rate.......

Dice = 3-1 = 2. Success!
You notice some tracks in the dust of the cellar floor which end at the face of one of the large barrels. Closer inspection reveals a hidden lever that opens the front of the barrel. Beyond is a short corridor.

If you want to go down it, turn to 523. If you want to leave the cellar, turn to 255.
Go deeper?