[Let's Play] Blood Sword V - The Walls of Spyte

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:We should be able to say "no" if it's something crazy, so asking won't hurt.
Wanna bet?
'The task I have in mind for you involves your journeying outside Spyte and returning here with a statuette that you will find in a castle on a high ridge near here called Blackridden Edge. You will return and place it at the missing point of this pentagram.' He gestures and a beam of white light illuminates an area apparently beyond the walls of the corridor, where a frozen crystal with a human figure stands inside a pentagram etched into the floor. 'Place the statuette at the missing point and then depart. You will be rewarded well.'

Before you can protest that you have no knowledge of this castle or this ridge, and that the plain of Spyte is as flat as a frozen millpond for mile around without so much as a molehill to break its monotony, the room begins to whirl around and around in a kaleidoscope pattern and the vision of the old man begins to fade.
I'll leave it to you to decide whether this qualifies as "something crazy", but either way you don't get to say "no"! :tongue:
When the kaleidoscopic whirl stills you find yourself sitting on a greensward in gentle sunlight. You are on a rolling hill overlooking a huge fair city. Gaily coloured flags hang down from the turrets and walls of the city, and there seems to be something vaguely familiar about one or two of them. Then your eyes travel up the white, white walls of the city to the citadel on top of it ... and your heart stops: for standing there is what you recognise to be the last remaining citadel of Spyte, the fire-blackened stump atop the basalt tooth around which the sulphur gales of the Cauldron howl! And surely those flags and pennants are those of the True Magi! Some of them you recognise from the Battlepits tournament at Krarth many years ago. Your head still seems to spin slightly, but now with amazement: how is it that you have travelled back all these centuries to a time before the Blasting, when the True Magi still ruled Krarth? As you ruminate on this, a strangled yell distracts you.
So we travelled back in time. Is it too much to hope for that we can do something to change history so that the True Magi don't get a chance to resurrect?
A band of riders has appeared to your right. They wear the colours of Plague Star, or Magus Kalugen in your own time, and they seem to have cornered someone in some bushes. The riders' faces are obscured in hangman's masks and they wield cruel-looking two-handed axes. As you watch, a man breaks cover, obviously a refugee. One of the riders comes after him and strikes him on the back of the head with the flat of the axe. He dismounts and leads the dazed man back to a tree where some of the other masked raiders have already slung a noose over a branch.

Do you want to rush over and help the refugee? If so, turn to 270. If you want to just sit and watch what happens, turn to 425.
Hey, if we interfere now, does it count as changing history?

Rescue the refugees or not?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Helping time!
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Helping time, obviously. Doing nothing isn't going to change history.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Help.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You run over to help the refugee. The black-masked riders turn their horses around when they see you coming.

Black Riders
Fighting Prowess: 7 Psychic Ability: 7
Awareness: 7 Damage: 3 Dice
Armour Rating: 4
Endurance: 25

Horses
Psychic Ability: 5
Armour Rating: 3
Endurance: 30

It is possible to direct attacks (including spells) at the horses rather than the riders. If a horse is slain, then the rider will be thrown into the square immediately in front of the horse and take two Dice damage, without armour protection.

Any player struck by a Black Rider's axe should note positions on the tactical map and then turn to 314.

If you flee into the woods, turn to 353. If you win, turn to 549.
While this doesn't look like a hard fight stat-wise, the note about being hit by one of those axes sounds sinister...

Strategies?

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 12
Psychic Ability: 7
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 41/45
Damage: 2 Dice +2

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
3 Plate Armour (Armour Rating four)
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 10 (+3 from Blood Sword)
Endurance: 20/37
Damage: 4 Dice +1 (+2d6 Damage from Blood Sword)

Items:
1 Blood Sword (+3 FP, +2d6 Damage)
2 Studded Leather Armour (Armour Rating 2)
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (6 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Book (looted from crystalized corpse) - turn to 493 if read
9-10 Empty Slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 24/31
Damage: 2 Dice +1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (5 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Blue Gem (summons Illusory Warrior partner for one combat)
9-10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 14
Endurance: 28/31
Damage: 1 Die +3

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty Slot
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I shoot, then, when one or more approach me, I'll start hacking at the rider.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Attacking horses is a sucker's game. Also, while I would ordinarily let them come to us so we got first strikesies, I think that gives them too much opportunity to gang-gank some of our more vulnerable members, so my first action will be to move NNE and engage three at once. After that, I will focus fire on whoever's adjacent to me and most likely to drop.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'll do the same as Star.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I'll hit the one on the far right with a Nemesis Bolt, then cast Sheet Lightning, and then Swordthrust on the one with highest health. After that, I'll just repeat Nemesis Bolt.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

A pretty risky strategy for Kiki, since for all we know getting hit by an axe may lead to insta-death. Let's hope none of the riders get lucky!

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior Moves and engages the 3 Riders on the left.

Trickster shoots Black Rider #1. Roll = 11. Miss!

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt on Black Rider #4. Roll = 3+5 = 8. Success! Damage = 23+7-4 = 26. Black Rider #4 is killed!

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage shoots Black Rider #4. Roll = 5. (Hit!) Damage = 2- 4 = No Damage!

Black Rider #1 fights Warrior. Roll = 6. (Hit!) Damage = 9-5 = 4. Warrior has 37 END left.
Roll two Dice, trying to score equal to or less than your Psychic Ability. If you succeed, turn back to 270 and resume the fight.

If you fail, turn to 221 if you are on your own, or to 181 if you are with one or more other players.
The Warrior's PA is 7...

Roll = 11 (Fail!)

AFFECTED PLAYER (WARRIOR):
You are now under magical control, and will fight with the masked riders against your former companion(s). If the riders win, you will die along with your friend(s). If they lose, the spell will be broken and you will come to your senses.

Turn to 270 to continue the battle. Your comrade(s) can still flee, but in doing so they will be abandoning you to your doom.
Oh crap......

Pausing here to see if the remaining players are changing their strategies now that Kiki's switched sides.

(Remember, Sheet Lightning now hurts Kiki too!)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Duh-oh, I'm pretty deadly. Good luck, guys.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Holy shit that sucks.

I summon the illusory warrior.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Holy shit that sucks.

I summon the illusory warrior.
Might want to add some details on how you want to deploy him. As you can see, positioning is quite vital here since it affects your chance to get hit and mind-controlled.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Oh dear. I'm tempted to drop sheet lightning, and prep and cast enthrallment on Kiki. Otherwise, people are gonna die.
Last edited by Shiritai on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Give me a second to figure out where everyone's on the map now, and I'll show you where I'm putting the illusory warrior. Which rider was #4 and which is #1? Are they left-right? Basically my plan is to put the IL in the way of as many of the living riders as possible to buy time for Reed to Enthrall Kiki, and have it attack one of the assholes while it's at it. I'll start firing at whoever it's attacking, assuming I can.

In any case, if the illusory warrior gets mind-controlled (if it can be, since it's not an illusion) I recommend that the party kill or ignore it as needed.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Give me a second to figure out where everyone's on the map now, and I'll show you where I'm putting the illusory warrior. Which rider was #4 and which is #1? Are they left-right? Basically my plan is to put the IL in the way of as many of the living riders as possible to buy time for Reed to Enthrall Kiki, and have it attack one of the assholes while it's at it. I'll start firing at whoever it's attacking, assuming I can.

In any case, if the illusory warrior gets mind-controlled (if it can be, since it's not an illusion) I recommend that the party kill or ignore it as needed.
It's from left to right. #4 was the one on the rightmost. Kiki engaged the other 3 on the left by standing right between them. Currently the remaining 3 riders are still standing where they were, but #2 and 3 get to move next since Round 1 isn't over yet. #1 can't move until end of next round.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

OK, and that was the best spot if you wanted to block them. I really should've summoned this thing at the start of the fight. But since #1 can't move this round I think that the best place to put the illusory warrior is between BW #2 and #3, fighting #3:
It might distract one or both, and it'll be able to attack #3 if he tries to move towards Benedict or Reed.

If anyone wants to propose an alternate placement for IW then tell me.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Shiritai wrote:Oh dear. I'm tempted to drop sheet lightning, and prep and cast enthrallment on Kiki. Otherwise, people are gonna die.
Don't drop Sheet Lightning, spells in memory only affect your ability to cast a spell and you're now rolling on 1 die. The resistance roll is 2d6 <= target's Psychic.

I hack at whichever rider approaches me. If at any point there are no riders to hack at and Kiki is attacking me and only me, I go full defense. Otherwise, if I'm still at or near 20, I eat the damage and go hack at another rider.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Ah, good point. It should come in handy once Kiki is (hopefully) back on our side. So I'll leave my spells as they are, prep enthrall, cast enthrall on Kiki, and if it succeeds cast Sheet Lightning on the riders, and then swordthrust the one with highest health. If enthrall doesn't work... I guess I'll still cast sheet lightning and then swordthrust.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The Battle continues!

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ...(continued)

Black Rider #2 moves 2E and 3S to engage Trickster and Enchanter.

Black Rider #3 moves 1S and engages Trickster.

Quick Thinking bonus:

Trickster fights Black Rider #2. Roll = 9. (Hit!) Damage = 12+1-4 = 9. Black Rider #3 has 16 EN left.

Round 2 ...

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster fights Black Rider #2. Roll = 7. (Hit!) Damage = 16+1-4 = 13. Black Rider #2 has 3 EN left.

Enchanter calls Servile Enthralment to mind.

Warrior Moves south and engages both Trickster and Sage.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage summons Illusory Warrior, which appears between Black Rider #2 and 3, engaging both.

Illusory Warrior fights Black Rider #3. Roll = 10. Miss!

Black Rider #1 Moves and engages Sage.

Black Rider #2 fights Enchanter. Roll = 3. (Hits!) Damage = 16-2 = 14! Enchanter has 14 END left! Enchanter rolls 8 and resists the mind-control!

Black Rider #3 fights Trickster. Roll = 12. Miss.

Round 3 ...

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster fights Black Rider #2. Roll = 9. (Hit!) Damage = 10+1-4 = 7. Black Rider #2 is killed.

Enchanter attempts to cast Servile Enthralment on Warrior. Roll = 1+5 = 6. Success! Warrior rolls 10 and fails to resist! Kiki switches sides!

Warrior Moves west and engages Black Rider #1.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage defends (END is low).

Illusory Warrior fights Black Rider #3. Roll = 8. (Hits!) Damage = 17-4 = 13. Black Rider #3 has 12 END left.

Black Rider #1 fights Warrior. Roll = 6. (Hits!) Damage = 14-5 = 9. Warrior has 28 END left. Warrior rolls 11 against his PA and fails again! Warrior switches sides again!

Black Rider #3 fights Trickster. Roll = 11. Miss.

Round 4 ...

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster fights Black Rider #3. Roll = 8. (Hit!) Damage = 12+1-4 = 9. Black Rider #3 has 3 END left.

Enchanter casts Sheet Lightning. Automatic Success! Black Rider #1 takes 6 Damage and has 19 END left. Black Rider #3 takes 5 Damage and is killed. Warrior takes 3-5 (thanks to armour) Damage = No Damage!

Warrior Moves east and engages Sage and Trickster.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage defends.

Illusory Warrior Moves and engages Black Rider #1.

Black Rider #1 fights Sage. Roll = 11. Miss!

Round 5 ...

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster defends.

Enchanter casts Swordthrust. Automatic Success! Damage = 14+3-4 = 13. Black Rider #1 ha 6 END left.

Warrior fights Sage. Roll = 8. (Hits!) Damage + 3+2-2 = 3. Sage has 7 END left.

Warrior fights Trickster with off-hand. Roll = 7 (on 4d6!!!). (Hit!) Damage = 7+2-2 = 7. Trickster has 13 END left.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage defends.

Illusory Warrior fights Black Rider #1. Roll = 8. (Hits!) Damage = 18-4 = 14. Black Rider #1 is killed!

Black Rider #1 fights Sage (dying blow). Roll = 11. Miss!

Warrior is no longer mind-controlled as all the riders are dead!
Rather painful fight there....the Warrior doesn't do much until the last round as she just mostly stumbles back and forth under the control of one side or another! Unfortunately, the one round she gets to do damage were at her own teammates! The Trickster (thanks to the Blood Sword) and the Illusory Warrior did most of the damage (although Nemesis Bolt taking out one of the riders in the 1st round helped a lot too).
You have won the battle, but you can see that the fight has been spotted by the guards in the city and that more black-masked riders are even now leaving the city gates and spurring their horses towards you. You run over and try to remove the noose from the neck of the refugee, but he snarls at you as if mad and runs off into the wood with the noose still dangling from his neck. You are somewhat surprised by his ungrateful reaction to you, but you have no time to worry about it as the other horsemen are nearing fast.

If you wish to pick up one of the horsemen's axes, decide who is doing so and turn to 227. Otherwise, you can flee into the woods - turn to 353.
Any of you want to grab an axe?

Something that hasn't happened to this party in quite a while.....everyone is pretty badly injured!

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:

Endurance: 28/45

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:

Endurance: 13/37

Items:
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (6 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
9-10 Empty Slot
SAGE:

Endurance: 7/31

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (5 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 -10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:

Endurance: 14/31

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty Slot
Last edited by SGamerz on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

First of all, I spend 6 EP on healing and blow all of the result on myself (really hope I don't roll a 1 here), until/unless I reach 20 EP with any to spare. In that case I give the excess to Benedict.

Grabbing the axe seems like a bad idea and I won't do it.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Axe BAD. Run like Moses.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Oops, I checked back and spotted a mistake in my update....the Sage actually isn't that badly hurt. I think I deducted the damage taken by Enchanter from the Sage by mistake. So the Sage is actually at 21 END, and only took one hit from his mind-controlled Warrior friend.

With that in mind, Darth might want to re-distribute his healing...

Meanwhile, we also wait to see if Reed or Benedict want one of the axes....

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:

Endurance: 28/45

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:

Endurance: 13/37

Items:
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (5 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
9-10 Empty Slot
SAGE:

Endurance: 21/31

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (4 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 -10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:

Endurance: 14/31

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty Slot
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

DO NOT WANT
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

In that case I heal for 4 and pass it all on to Benedict.