[Let's Play] Blood Sword V - The Walls of Spyte

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yes, I saw him, but I assumed whoever's #2 could reach that one.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Yes, I saw him, but I assumed whoever's #2 could reach that one.
Yeah, sorry, I actually misread your original post as "the only one you can reach".

Let's get on with it, this should be pretty straight-forward....

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 10 acts ...

Angel #1 fights Sage. Roll = 7. (Hit!) Damage = 8-2 = 6. Sage has 25 EN left.

Angel #2 fights Trickster. Roll = 17. Miss.

Angel #3 fights Warrior. Roll = 7. (Hit!) Damage = 8-5 = 3. Warrior has 42 END left.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Angel #3. Roll = 7. Hit! Damage = 7+2 = 9. Angel #3 has 12 EN left.

Warrior fights Angel #3 with off-hand. Damage = 8+2 = 10. Angel #3 has 2 EN left.

Trickster fights Angel #2. Roll = 6. (Hit!) Damage = 11 + 1 = 12. Angel #2 has 9 EN left.

Enchanter attempts to cast Sheet Lightning (automatic success!). Angel #1 takes 13 Damage and has 8 END left. Angel #2 takes 12 Damage and is killed. Angel #3 had only 2 END left so it is definitely killed.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage fights Angel #1. Roll = 12. Miss.

Round 2

Awareness 10 acts ...

Angel #1 fights Sage. Roll = 10. Miss.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior waits.

Trickster waits.

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt. He's now carrying 3 spells and has a working PA of 11. He's casting a Level 5 spell and needs to roll 6 or less....which is the maximum he can roll on 1d6. Automatic success! Angel #1 is killed!
The Warrior and the Enchanter's combined character bonuses meant that a lot of dice-rolling can be saved. I don't even have to roll for either of them hitting most of the time.
Amid a flurry of swart musty plumage, the last of the monsters drops down into the darkness below. If any player(s) died because of looking into a Death Angel's eyes, turn to 487. If not, you can now continue on to the top of the stairs - turn to 182.
Fortunately, we didn't have to face the crystal gaze at all thanks to our awesome magical penetrator.
You reach the topmost landing. Looking down, you can see the cavern floor all but swallowed in gloom a hundred metres below.

There is one exit from here: a glass doorway with no obvious handle. To reach it you have to pass along a narrow walkway which has no handrail. Given no alternative, you edge carefully along it. As you do, you glance once more down into the depths below. A dizzying drop - it would not do to slip now!

Reaching the door, you begin to run your fingers over the glass surface searching for a catch or hidden lever that would open it. Then you notice a flicker of movement from beyond the door. You peer through. It is difficult to see - the surface is scratched and dirty, but through the glass darkly you discern an approaching figure. As it gets nearer you can make some sense out of the distorted jumble of images - it looks as though a massive minotaur is thundering straight towards you, its horned head lowered to smash the glass. You are rooted to the spot for an instant, watching it hurtle closer. The glass pane must be quite thick because the minotaur's charge is eerily silent. All the same, you do not suppose it is thick enough to break the force of the charge.

If you get ready to dodge the minotaur when it bursts through the glass door, turn to 416. If you stand your ground and get ready to meet its attack blow for blow, turn to 399.
Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 12
Psychic Ability: 7
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 42/45
Damage: 2 Dice +2

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
3 Plate Armour (Armour Rating four)
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 10 (+3 from Blood Sword)
Endurance: 37/37
Damage: 4 Dice +1 (+2d6 Damage from Blood Sword)

Items:
1 Blood Sword (+3 FP, +2d6 Damage)
2 Studded Leather Armour (Armour Rating 2)
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (6 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Book (looted from crystalized corpse) - turn to 493 if read
9-10 Empty Slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 25/31
Damage: 2 Dice +1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (6 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8-10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 14
Endurance: 31/31
Damage: 1 Die +3

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty Slot
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Computer games have trained me to dodge the chargers.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Dodging stuff on a narrow walkway over a deadly drop sounds like a roll, and a roll is going to kill at least half the party. To have any semblance of fairness, it should offer Expeditious Retreat for the Enchanter, Levitation for the Sage, and throwing swords for the Warrior. As a binary "to dodge or not to dodge" option, it's probably a hologram, or one of those oldtimey things that earned a scammer mad bux on kickstarter recently.

(Also, our illustrious game master is stalling, while normally he'd have proceeded with two "correct" votes.)

Stay put.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Good point. The whole "silent" thing is making me think it's an illusion. Changing my vote to staying put.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Starmaker wrote: (Also, our illustrious game master is stalling, while normally he'd have proceeded with two "correct" votes.)
I generally proceed with 2 votes of the same choice when I see them, whether they're right or wrong, since with 4 players there's risk of a tie if I wait any longer. I just wasn't online when Darth mad his vote last night.

Speaking of which, my updates should hopefully become more regular again after next Tuesday.
You adopt a solid fighting stance and wait to meet the minotaur head-on. Its shadowy shape grows larger beyond the door until it fills the frame. Then you hear a crash as the glass shatters, and you shield your eyes from the thousands of flying fragments. Each player loses one Die Endurance owing to minor cuts. You realise that you are probably about to be swept off the walkway by the unstoppable force of the minotaur's charge, but instead nothing happens. When you look up, you discover that there is nothing there. All that lies beyond the now-shattered door is an empty passage. The minotaur was just some sort of optical illusion enchanted into the glass pane.
Warrior rolls 1 for Damage and has 41 END left.
Trickster rolls 4 for Damage and has 33 END left.
Sage rolls 1 for Damage and has 24 END left.
Enchanter rolls 3 for Damage and has 28 END left.
You step through the shattered remnants of the glass pane and into a long corridor. Demonic faces with inverted leers are engraved all along the stone walls, seeming to watch your progress. At the end of the corridor you find a massive iron-bound portal of red wood. It is difficult to push open because, beyond it, a fierce wind is raging. You step out onto a balcony from which a bridge extends over to another of the ruined towers. The wind buffets you as you advance, forcing you to grip the balustrade with all your strength to avoid being blown off into the gulf below. Above, you can see low pearl-grey clouds drawing back like curtains from the crystal black vault of the night sky. Five small stars shine down on Spyte - the Five Magi, awaiting their return to the world they left two centuries ago. The sight of them gives you a renewed sense of urgency. Reaching the end of the bridge, you open the door into the tower and rush through, swinging the door shut behind you to block out the shrieking gale.
The room in front of you is filled with a drifting cloud of white haze. Waving the vapour aside with your hands, you step forward. You seem to be in a long robing chamber. Various cloaks hang from pegs on the wall, but these disintegrate like the ashes of burnt paper when you touch them. You are passing along this room when you see a figure approaching you through the mist from a side passage. Just as you are about to call out, you recognise the features of your old friend, Emeritus of Quadrille. He starts when he sees you, and then a broad smile of recognition lights up his face.

'Praise the Saviour!' he cries joyfully. 'I have sought you over all the land of Krarth these last twelve months; but I had no news of you, so I journeyed here by myself, knowing that I alone might stand between humankind and the return of the despotic Magi. Now you are here to aid me! My prayers could not have been answered in better fashion.' So saying, he embraces you and you smell the familiar odour of herbs and salves which you associate with his profession. 'Now,' he says, 'we have little time to lose, for I have just discovered the resting-place of the mortal bodies of the Five Magi: a crypt whence their acolytes dragged them after their colleagues were slain at the Blasting. It lies down this corridor. But caution,' he adds, 'for the way is full of ancient traps.'

You follow him down the side passage to a small chamber. There are five curtained alcoves in the far wall. He steps forward and immediately an arrow flies out of a hidden slot to one side of the room and carooms off the stone wall by his ear. He wipes his brow and steps forward again gingerly.

If there is a Sage in the party, turn to 146. If there is an Enchanter in the party, turn to 535. If there is neither, turn to 346.
The text doesn't seem to give an option for both players choosing not to act if they are around, so......who should try something (whatever that is) here, Pepito or Reed?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Since the text lists the Sage trigger first, I think it should have priority.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Well, Emeritus was originally Pepito's old friend, but he likes the whole party now. And the Enchanter is more likely to be able to protect Emeritus from the second trap that I'm sure is about to go off. So I think we should go with the Enchanter option.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

It is very strange that neither is given priority, or an option. Turn to both pages and take the most favorable?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'll change my vote to Sage to break the tie.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

SAGE:
Do you want to help out your old comrade? Perhaps if you used your Paranormal Sight on the curtains in front of the alcove you would be able to spot any further traps. If you try it, turn to 378. If you leave Emeritus to deal with things in his own way, turn to 346.
Since it'd have been a massive waste of time to not do anything after this, let's see what happens:

SAGE:
Emeritus seems to guess what you're thinking. 'Pish, tosh!' he cries. 'I don't need any of that jiggery pokery to find the right door. The real magic, my friend, is knowledge itself - and I have done my research before coming here, I can assure you.'

Since he seems rather petulant about your intervention, perhaps you should let him find the safe route on his own. If so, turn to 346. If you decide to utilise your Paranormal Sight regardless of whether this hurts Emeritus' feelings, turn to 328.
Does Pepito insist on hurting his old friend's feelings?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd rather risk hurting his feelings than let him die. Use Paranormal Sight.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

SAGE:
You'll have to help Emeritus in spite of himself. As you begin to summon up your mystic power of vision, you decide that Emeritus needn't know unless you actually have to step in to save him from a trap. However, you are totally unprepared for the shocking sight that does meet your eyes. Not only can you see a door at the back of each curtained alcove, but the human form of your old friend disappears to be replaced by a hideous unhuman monstrosity. It has a wheezing, spongy body and a purple-veined head like a giant octopus. You recognise it from an old bestiary you read in the scriptorium on the island of Kaxos: it is a Planetar Mutabilis, a rare creature that was said to roam the hills of Asmulia before the founding of Selentium. It has the power to read men's minds and present itself in the illusory guise of someone known and trusted.

Turn to 112 to give battle, but you have one free Round before normal combat begins because you are forewarned of its imminent attack.
Hmmm....it was never mentioned that Paranormal Sight allows one to see through illusions...

Still, not gonna complain about an extra benefit!
The thing you thought was Emeritus lunges forward on thick, quivering legs that remind you of a snail's foot. Even more disturbing is the way it presents snatches of image or sound from your own memory as it fights you, so that at one moment you might look into the faces of your parents, the next you hear the voice of Icon or smell the perfumed scent of Fatima's garden. All players except the Warrior must reduce their Fighting Prowess and Awareness by one for the duration of this combat because of the distraction caused by the monster's illusions.

Mirage Monster
Fighting Prowess: 8 Psychic Ability: 9
Awareness: 12 Damage per blow: 3 Dice
Armour Rating: 0
Endurance: 56

Note: As well as striking with its horny beak, it also knows four spells that it might use. Roll a Die each Round to decide what it does:

1-2: fights with its beak;
4-6: calls to mind or casts a spell.

The spells it knows are Servile Enthralment, Ghastly Touch, Sheet Lightning and The Vampire.

If you kill it, turn to 483.
I think there's a small error there.....it's probably supposed to fight with its beak on a roll of 1-3.

So....one round of free hits, no armour, and it's got a 50% chance of wasting an extra round calling spells to mind. Shouldn't be difficult.

Strategies?

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 12
Endurance: 41/45
Damage: 2 Dice +2

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
3 Plate Armour (Armour Rating four)
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 10 (+3 from Blood Sword)
Endurance: 33/37
Damage: 4 Dice +1 (+2d6 Damage from Blood Sword)

Items:
1 Blood Sword (+3 FP, +2d6 Damage)
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (6 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Book (looted from crystalized corpse) - turn to 493 if read
9-10 Empty Slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 8
Endurance: 24/31
Damage: 2 Dice +1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (6 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8-10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 14
Endurance: 28/31
Damage: 1 Die +3

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty Slot
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Impersonate my old friend, will it? I think it's time to give it a crash course in etiquette by shooting it to death.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I step NE and start hacking it up.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Step north, work it like a speedbag.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I'll drop immediate deliverance and sheet lightning, and hit this guy with nemesis bolt and swordthrust.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

If we were already engaged we can almost certainly down this thing in on round. As it is, the Warrior takes a bit longer to get close enough to hit. The question is not whether we win, but whether it can hit one of us before it dies.

The Awareness penalty makes no difference, since it was already much faster than us without the penalty anyway. The Combat penalty will have some minimal effect, but with all the bonus Kiki and Benedict have, it should cause too much problems.

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Mirage Monster is unprepared and doesn't get to act.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior moves next to Mirage Monster.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Trickster moves next to Mirage Monster.

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt. Automatic success! Damage = 23+7 = 30. Mirage Monster has 26 END left.

Awareness 6 acts ...

Sage shoots at Mirage Monster. Roll = 9. Miss.

Quick Thinking bonus:

Trickster fights Mirage Monster. Roll = 4. (Hit!) Damage = 18 + 1 = 19. Mirage Monster has 7 EN left.

Round 2

Awareness 12 acts ...

Mirage Monster fights Trickster. Roll = 8 (on 3d6). (Hits!) Damage = 15-2 = 13. Trickster has 20 END left.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Mirage Monster. Roll = 3. (Hits!) Damage = 6+2 = 8. Mirage Monster is killed!
The creature finally stops writhing, only giving out occasional spasmodic twitches. You can now see that it was carrying a blue gem. One player can take this gem - note it down on your Character Sheet if you do. The gem can be used once to create an illusory warrior to aid you in a combat. This phantasm will act just like another party member, and will obey the will of the holder of the gem. Its attributes will be as follows:

Fighting Prowess: 8
Damage: 4 Dice
Armour Rating: 3
Endurance: 30

(Note the number of this entry next to the blue gem on your Character Sheet so that you can refer back for these attributes when they are needed.) The phantasm will fight in one combat only; the gem will disappear after it is used.

When you are ready, turn to 167.
Handy! At the very worst, it can serve as a meatshield.

Let me know who wants to carry the gem!
There are five wooden doorways behind the curtains. You open each in turn. All give on to long corridors, the furthest ends of which are shrouded in darkness. At about the half-way point of your vision down each corridor there is a small ornately carved table and a chair blocking the passageway. The first four chairs from left to right are empty, and in each of these corridors you can dimly make out a white-robed figure walking away from you into the darkness at the end of the corridor. As you watch they seem to fade from view altogether. In the fifth corridor you see an old man wearing an antique white cloak and a circlet of white silver over his brow. He seems to be waiting for someone to come down the corridor.

Do you want to take one of the four empty corridors? If so, turn to 509. If you want to take the corridor with the old man, turn to 136.
Do we want to meet the old man?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Since all of the corridors have old men as is and this one is at least forthcoming I think we should greet him.

Also I'll take the gem if no one else wants it. Pepito likes shiny gems left from monster corpses. Especially if they're eyes.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The one old man seems like an obvious prompt, and the obvious prompt in this place is likely to be a trap. I say we enter a corridor where someone isn't waiting for us.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Half a vote for trying to chat up the guy.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You walk down the corridor towards the old man. He looks up and smiles when he sees you coming. 'Hail to you! It seems that I have sat here for an aeon waiting for such as you to come to release me from my imprisonment at the hands of the Magi. My wife and domestics must have given up all hope of seeing me again, but I am resolved now that before I return to them in my home city of Farantar I will destroy this city of Spyte, thus ending their despotic rule once and for all.' He speaks as if he thinks that the True Magi still rule the lands of Legend, but you allow him to continue. 'My name is Myorg of Farantar, imprisoned here for vying with the Magi themselves in sorcerous power. They ordained that my release could be obtained only when the five quests they laid down had been accomplished, and hence I have been waiting in this corridor. Will you accept the final quest that will mean that I am released from this cell forever?'
Strangely, the book chooses to direct you to a different section before giving you this option:
If you ask about the old man's quest, turn to 234. If you back off down the corridor, turn to 302.
.....I guess they had to fulfil a certain quota number of sections for this book.

Chat some more?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We should be able to say "no" if it's something crazy, so asking won't hurt.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yeah, crazy has always been a disqualifier for our questing. [/sarcasm] Ask away.