Power Creep in Hearthstone (and other CCGs)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Apparently, Zug and Sottle don't understand that Time is a payment. It is a more valuable to boot.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Leress wrote:Apparently, Zug and Sottle don't understand that Time is a payment. It is a more valuable to boot.
Minimum wage in the US is 7.25 an hour.

30 hours a week is $217.50. 4 weeks a month makes it $870.

So, playing Hearthstone instead of flipping burgers costs you $870 a month.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

hyzmarca wrote:
Leress wrote:Apparently, Zug and Sottle don't understand that Time is a payment. It is a more valuable to boot.
Minimum wage in the US is 7.25 an hour.

30 hours a week is $217.50. 4 weeks a month makes it $870.

So, playing Hearthstone instead of flipping burgers costs you $870 a month.
I think every single part of what you just said is false.

But yes, the principle of the matter is that if you have to grind for things, then you will pay money to get them if your hourly rate is better (and you have income to spare, and the grind sucks as much as it does).

I personally leveled characters to 70 in wow, back when that was the cap, even though I could have paid for it. I did that because I enjoyed the leveling. Comparatively, playing hearthstone against decks made from better cards is god fucking awful no fun. That is certainly a factor in it being pay to win.

I make way more in an hour than hearthstone cards I could get for that, so I absolutely would never grind in hearthstone if it wasn't fun, and it isn't, so I don't play hearthstone.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

As Kaelik said.

Grinding in some games may be slow but fun. So I do it anyway, for the fun, because that is the main reason I do stuff outside of my work: it is fun.

Grinding in hearthstone is boring, and it's more fun to work instead, so I don't play hearthstone.

zugschef wrote:It's not a strawman only because you say it is. And rolling your eyes doesn't change it either. The European Champion's League is pay to win or any European football league for that matter. It's the same teams every year, and it's no coincidence that it's the teams which spend the most $$$. There are team sports where that's different. The NFL is a good example. So yes, there are games where you pay and you win because you pay.
I'm not sure I've ever read something that stupid.

Are you aware that football players are, huh, players, which mean they play the game ? They don't pay to win; instead they are paid to play. Are you really arguing that the players of the European Champion's Leagues are the non-players people like the sponsors or the clubs' owners ?

Actually, blizzard gains nothing out of your time playing Hearthstone. So it's not a payment.

It's legitimate for Blizzard to have a pay-or-be-bored business model, since they have no interest in non-paying players. It's just... weird that some people are arguing it's not pay-to-win.
Last edited by GâtFromKI on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Actually, blizzard gains nothing out of your time playing Hearthstone. So it's not a payment.
I meant from the player's perspective.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

Leress wrote:I meant from the player's perspective.
In that case I agree completely.

Pardon my poor "comprehend english language" skill. :p
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

Blizzard does get one thing out of the time players spend on Hearthstone: advertising.

Even if they don't have in-game ads -- and since I have never played Hearthstone, for all I know they might -- the game appears to make extensive use of Blizzard's copyrighted and/or trademarked material, so you're basically getting a soft-sell for their other products while you play the game. It's like an interactive '80s toy cartoon that lets you pay for powerups, as if there were a G. I. Joe first-person shooter where you could either pay to play as Snake Eyes or grind until you unlocked him.
TheFlatline wrote:This is like arguing that blowjobs have to be terrible, pain-inflicting endeavors so that when you get a chick who *doesn't* draw blood everyone can high-five and feel good about it.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

talozin wrote:Blizzard does get one thing out of the time players spend on Hearthstone: advertising.

Even if they don't have in-game ads -- and since I have never played Hearthstone, for all I know they might -- the game appears to make extensive use of Blizzard's copyrighted and/or trademarked material, so you're basically getting a soft-sell for their other products while you play the game. It's like an interactive '80s toy cartoon that lets you pay for powerups, as if there were a G. I. Joe first-person shooter where you could either pay to play as Snake Eyes or grind until you unlocked him.
There are not ads, but there are cross promotional things dealing with card backs and packs. Like a special one for pre-ordering another Blizzard product or using a particular device. Their most egregious was the card back for playing the game on a very specific phone.
]
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

I cheated using an emulator to get the card back and free packs from that promotion. I hope they do more. Grinding for packs takes ages :/
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor