What would you pick?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

What would you pick?

Post by RedstoneOrc »

First, this is a very important and intellectual exercise that means this is serious business. :mad:

What three magic items from 3.5 would you wish to have and why. You can choose any three you want but none of those infinite wish loops, and no using the custom magic item rules. I would go on for rules for this but that makes it no fun and remember any non custom magic items from 3.5

I'd choose the ring of sustenance, ring of telekinesis, and boots of teleportation. I choose these mainly because the less sleep and want cheap travel. The telekinesis is just the crazy versatile icing on the cake. Honorable mention goes to a scroll of polymorph any object to make me insanely rich.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

For real life?
  • Boots of Teleporation because of convenience.
  • A Hat of Disguise seems super useful, although I'm not sure exactly what I'd do with it. In lieu of that, I'd get a Ring of Invisibility
  • An Eternal Wand of Suggestion (or any other permanent item that can cast Suggestion at a few times per day). Dealing with assholes in the real world would be a lot easier this way.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Boots of Teleportation are rock solid. I think in the spirit of this exercise my other choices would be a Helm of Telepathy and a Ring of Djinni Calling.

But of course, the real answer is Ring of Three Wishes, abuse for infinite wish shenanigans.

edit: I know those aren't allowed, but you just throw enough intermediate steps in that the judges won't call you on it.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

You don't even need to abuse the wishes or make them infinite for them to be the best choice. They are three time use items that grant you other magic items or, more importantly, a fat stack of gold when you use them. So with a ring of three wishes, a luckblade, and something like a +5 tome for intelligence or wisdom, you're set for life. You either have 7 magic items instead of 3 or you win in real life by having huge piles of money and slightly less magic items.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I would also suggest the Cubic Gate, with one of the outputs being Limbo. Then get a Ring of Limbo Control and have limitless stuff. Wands and Staves and shit are of course completely useless because I am totally positive that I don't have any spells on my "class list" and can't activate them. For my third item I'd go with a Ring of Regeneration. Boring, but I personally would like to not die of organ failure.

-Username17
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well, that depends.

If I'm the only one getting magic swag, things that give DR are at least a reasonable consideration, as they would offer nigh-invulnerability from physical harm.

On the other hand, if instead everyone whose cleric has now been raised to the 8th level is now learning to cast real spells, then things like a Ring of Counterspells, Rod of Cancellation or Beholder Eye Graft become potentially useful in ways they wouldn't in any otherwise real world setting.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

>Not picking a Rod of Splendor
>Not picking a Ring of Djinni Calling
>Not picking a Medallion of Thoughts

I don't even understand you guys.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

As a first stab at it, the item resulting from the casting of Kissed By the Ages, a Ring of Regeneration, and a Mirror of Mental Prowess (Assuming that the Theosophists or whoever are sufficiently accurate about their depiction of the astral plane such that it may be viewed.)
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

1) Decantur of Endless Water
2) Sphere of Annihilation (to get rid of all the excess water).
3) Staff of life.

Turn the Decantur upside down and mount it above an electrical turbine. Endless free power forever. Take that, conservation of energy.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Can I have my Lich phylactery which requires that it be created by myself and requires I be at least an 11th level caster?

I won't even use it. Probably.

My other two items would be Boots of Dancing and a Deck of Many Things.
crasskris
Journeyman

Post by crasskris »

If you get each item upon wishing for it, I'd start with a +6 Headband of Intellect and a +6 Periapt of Wisdom, and then think really hard and long about my third wish.

Several years, in fact, while I see what I can do with my newfound mental capabilities in this age of information and technology of ours.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Yeah, absent cheating my way to more items, I'm thinking Belt of Magnificence +6, Ring of Regeneration, and something for wealth, Eternal Wand of something probably.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'd probably go with the Despoiler of Flesh, a Daern's Instant Tent and, what the hell, a Bag of Holding Type 4.

I'd use the Despoiler to become either actually or effectively immortal (turn myself into an undead/construct, or just repair failing organs as they go), replace my car with some form of fast tireless mount that subsisted on air or something, and open a plastic surgery business. The Tent means I have my own studio apartment and just need a place to set it up, and the BoH means I can carry shit with me if I can't leave it in the tent.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Crystal Ball of Telepathy
Mirror of Mental Prowess
Uncursed Girdle of Opposite Gender
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

crasskris wrote:If you get each item upon wishing for it, I'd start with a +6 Headband of Intellect and a +6 Periapt of Wisdom, and then think really hard and long about my third wish.

Several years, in fact, while I see what I can do with my newfound mental capabilities in this age of information and technology of ours.
Yeah, beyond dancing around in grey areas of thought experiment rules, being able to delay your item choice is a definite benefit of choosing the Ring of Three Wishes.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, Ring of Regen sounds pretty awesome. Then something for either Flight or Teleportation or Invisibility. After that, the Decanter because you could do serious good with instant endless pure water.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Ring of Regeneration
Traveler's Cloak
Belt of Magnificence +6

I'm a simple guy, that's about all I need. The third item even seems superfluous.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
erik
King

Post by erik »

Other than being an awesome dancing lich who can tempt people in diners with my deck of many things, I've been trying to think of what would be of greatest benefit to humanity or save/supply the most amount of energy, and in that vein it might be rather awesome to empower space travel some.

If we wanted to send people to Mars we could load them up in a Mirror of Life Trapping, holds a crew of 15, specific individuals can be released with voice commands. I have no idea if they're in stasis or something when in the mirror, I think it is implied, but it certainly cuts down on life support/radiation/weight concerns.

To supplement some of the propulsion use a Decanter of Endless Water. Maybe 110 N ... which doesn't sound huge but it is 200x as powerful as the ion propulsion that is still considered efficient for extended space travel by NASA and at a fraction of the fuel mass needed (~95m/sec daily acceleration for 10,000kg craft). Also nice to have a copious source of water wherever you go. Copious water makes a nice radiation shield with an overhead reservoir for shelter. Use a ring of wishes to get 3 of these maybe. Triple the fun.

For the third item to help with space travel/interplanetary missions it's a toss up.

Just to give us a start for space stations, could use Ring Gates to send supplies up 100 miles. The ISS is around 300 miles up, so it's not quite as far as I'd like. I think it's hard for a geosynchronous orbit to be maintained at 100 miles up though, but it could save the energy of sending stuff into orbit.

Or could do something like have earth elementals on tap and some earth shaping with The Moaning Diamond to create your habitat on Mars.

Or any number of ways to get at-will plane shift to travel to home and back, to wherever. Within many miles of destination (but presumably you at least land on the planet surface wherever you go).
Last edited by erik on Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brized
Journeyman

Post by brized »

• Tasmia's Heart or a Ring of Regeneration, if you follow the logic that it effectively pauses your aging
    Belt of Magnificence +6
    Ring of Three Wishes, or a Luck Blade if it stored 3 wishes
Teleportation is very nice, but it would only add about 5 effective years of life assuming it saved you an average of 2 hours of travel per day. I'll take double lifespan or near-immortality instead.
Last edited by brized on Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tumbling Down wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:I'm really tempted to stat up a 'Shadzar' for my game, now.
An admirable sentiment but someone beat you to it.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Something for immortality/invincibility
Something for mentally influencing/dominating people

...is there any kind of 'magic item' that can make other magic items without limit? Like a golem that crafts things or an item that lets me safely bind a magical being that can make more stuff for me.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

If Pathfinder stuff was on the table, this combo would be totally hilarious:
1. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/art ... skull-soul
2. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/art ... ell-amulet
3. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/art ... l-of-greed

If 2 and 3 counted as one thing, I'd probably throw in a luckblade for wishes.
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

Sweet baby Jesus those are some awesome and mean spirited choices. But I said no infinity loops not more wishes so i guess y'all win and I'll change my own answers. I guess I'd grab a full ring of wishes and luck blade, for more magic swag. The third would be ring of djinni calling if only for the unlimited planeshifts for me and seven of my friends. I'd probably wish for the ring of sustenance, double polymorph any object myself into a leshay for immortality, insane stats and alterself at will for over four hours at a time. Then wish/ polymorph any object something into two million pounds of platinum for effective infinite wealth. Other wishes reserved for later. Also great choices for the poll.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The djinni will get you effectively unlimited wealth already. Even if it can't harvest a huge pile of whatever gems/precious metal you want from the Earth plane, you can use Plane Shift as a disposal service that people will pay huge amounts for.
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

Yeah well that and major creation permanent vegetable matter once a day could probably get a good deal of of money if I spent the time to think about it.
I have currently hit the ignore feature 5 times on accident, and only once on purpose. This has got to be some kind of record.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Would ethanol be considered vegetable matter?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.