I'm interviewing for a D&D job

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Dean
Duke

I'm interviewing for a D&D job

Post by Dean »

So I'm interviewing for this new show that's opening in New York that's got a live dungeon master and you're running a sort of D&D with some audience participation all the while leading the occasional drinking game and so on.

They'll get a lot of New York City actor performer types interviewing cause it's an amazing looking job and they'll all be taller and prettier than me. But I wanted to stand out as being by far and away the person with the most D&D knowledge and pedigree they could get on that stage. So a bunch of the people I've DM'ed for wrote me a quick recommendation saying nice things like that I know the game like the back of my hand and so on and I was wondering if any of you guys would consider doing the same? Like it or not you guys are a bunch of the worlds experts on D&D and it'd really help me get a weird cool dream job where I'd make money playing D&D and drinking.

If anyone wants to write anything about how I, Dean Ruel, seem to have a passion for D&D or that you've liked arguing with me about it or that you think I know a lot about it it might get me a dream job and I will always comp you tickets if you come see it. It can be 5 words or 5 paragraphs whatever you want. Thanks a bunch and feel free to source yourself however you want me to: I.E. "Dean's Cool" -Greg Phonelobster, Game Designer
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I've pissed off too many people in the industry. I could support your rivals making you look better though...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

There's literally no way they'll have any clue who you are. They're not game designers or D&D people they're theatre people who want a D&D show. I just want to show that I'm the guy with the D&D pedigree.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Hey hey, big D is the guy with the D&D Pedigree - Big Poppa Smurf
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Is this with Dorkly / College Humor?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ENMVPhdJyK

or is this, YHWH preserve us, a copycat show where we will also watch people play D&D? As a genre, I find it about as weird as those ASMR videos, but to each his own.

Because you know they've been bought out by venture capitalists and fired most of their staff, right?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/8/21057 ... ee-dropout
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

"Dean Ruel knows D&D better than any other candidate you'll find."

-Chamomile, professional DM and adventure writer

Granted, this is mainly a condemnation of the candidate pool as reported by Dean Ruel himself, but don't tell them that. And on a related note, hopefully they're too unfamiliar with the industry to realize how insignificant my qualifications are.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Dean can speak knowledgeably about D&D, Vampire, Star Wars, and booze.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Your stage name has to be Dean Rules, for the obvious puns.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Dean should play with us more.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Short and ugly? Platform shoes and makeup.

"Dean Ruel is a talented entertainer who knows the rules of D&D inside and out. I have seen him write thousands of words about how Diplomacy works, he knows his stuff." -- Pseudo Stupidity, Internet Arguer
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Foxwarrior wrote:Dean should play with us more.
I absolutely WILL play with you more! I'm in the middle of writing and filming two different projects at the moment and I've got a couple comedy shows to do a week so I feel really compressed for time. In a month stuff will calm down as one of those projects finishes.

Cham, Psuedo, Iduno thanks a bunch. Those are going right in :)
DrPraetor wrote:Is this with Dorkly / College Humor?
Neither it's a new live theatre show. I'll just print the brief
The Twenty-Sided Tavern is a live-action, role-playing drinking game seeking fun, joyful collaborators with expert improvisation skills and comedic sensibilities. In this interactive theatrical experience, three players and a game master play an RPG (which is similar to but legally distinct from Dungeons & Dragons), where the audience influences much of the adventure’s outcome, including characters’ names, the challenges they face, and how much the actors are drinking.

A set of Drinking Rules dictate when and how much of the imbibing takes place, and stories will rotate between performances, leading to a new experience at every performance. While the groundwork of this creative endeavor has been laid, we are seeking true collaborators to refine and workshop this performance before an anticipated open-ended run in the Fall.

Seeking roles:

Game Master — The game master is the emcee of the Twenty-Sided Tavern, laying the ground rules and presenting the world that the players and audience will inhabit. A knowledge of the mechanics of tabletop gaming (or a willingness to learn) is very much required. Must have phenomenal improvisational abilities, as the story will change frequently based on audience and actor interaction.

Players — We are looking for big, distinct personalities that like to play. Knowledge of tabletop gaming is useful, but in no way required. Each Player will rotate between two characters, and in each show will play one of these characters as well as the “character” of themselves. Special skills like impressions, character voices, musical abilities, etc. are very much preferred.

Player types can be broken down into:

-“The Old Pro” — This character is very well-informed about the game’s mechanics, and is sometimes frustrated by the silliness happening onstage. They play the game well, often find the most direct solutions to a given problem, and usually portray characters that are the groups ‘leader’.

-“The Newbie” — This character is potentially playing the game for the first time. It is humorous to see them struggle, and their naïveté leads to unusual and exciting solutions for relatively simply puzzles.

-“The Wild Card” — Knowing just enough about the game to be dangerous, the Wild Card is most frequently the designated drinker on the Player’s side. They are prone to outbursts and tangents, and display the most “non-RPG” skills during the show, i.e. musical talent, juggling, etc.

All performers must be over 21 years old and willing to consume alcohol at regular intervals. The amount of alcohol may vary based on the outcome of rolls and audience interaction per the drinking rules of the game, but all precautions will be taken to ensure the safety, security, and comfort of the actors and audience.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:Your stage name has to be Dean Rules, for the obvious puns.
I do use Dean Rule for my stage name so I'm almost there! That's mostly so announcers I don't know don't start my show by bumbling over my weirdly spelled last name
Last edited by Dean on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Hey if anyone else posts a nice sentence or two I can use to pad my resume I’ll post my absurd Professional DM headshots I’m using both as my business ones for a gaming channel and this one cool drunk dnd job

Help me live the perfect life friends. I’ll post bad pictures in repayment.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Dean wrote:Hey if anyone else posts a nice sentence or two I can use to pad my resume I’ll post my absurd Professional DM headshots I’m using both as my business ones for a gaming channel and this one cool drunk dnd job

Help me live the perfect life friends. I’ll post bad pictures in repayment.
Dean is the coolest atheist gamer I currently know not named Tim
- phlapjack
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Dean's teardowns of and high-optimization builds for Star Wars SAGA are some of the most entertaining examples of d20 system mastery I've read. Not least because of the way he eviscerated a heckler in the process: he's an alchemist who turns stubbornness into comedy. - pragma
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

So what ended up happening? Did Dean get the job?
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Probably the most anticlimactic ending possible happened with the entire production being suspended due to coronavirus. I'm in contact but who knows how long things will be in hiatus for.