[Let's Play] Blood Sword IV - Doomwalk

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'm going to be in another state (probably without Internet) until Wednesday. So I'm setting up a standard operating procedure for Pepito:

In combat, hack with the axe at weak opponents and shoot arrows at a distance at strong ones. (I'm defining a "strong" opponent as one that has at least a decent chance of one-shotting Pepito.)

Out of combat, have the party vote on whether or not to use healing (and how much), or any other Sage blue options that come up.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The demon is not at all perturbed by your attack. In fact it seems to shiver in anticipation. These creatures enjoy the giving and receiving of pain.

Cacodemon

Fighting Prowess: 8 Damage per blow: 3 Dice+3
Psychic Ability: 9 Awareness: 10
Armour Rating: 6
Endurance: 27

Note: It cannot move from the spot, but its tongue can reach out to strike a foe within five squares on the tactical map.

If you flee, turn to 491. If you kill it, turn to 481.
Not too tough.....although it has really thick armour. The low END kind of balances that out, though.

Strategies?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Hack at it and wait for Reed to kill it.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Starmaker wrote:Hack at it and wait for Reed to kill it.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Well, that's not entirely terrible. I'll cast Nemesis Bolt then Swordthrust, and drop the rest.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'll have Pepito default to melee, since even his new magic bow will have some problems penetrating this thing's hide....

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 10 acts ...

Cacodemon fights Trickster. Roll = 8+1 = 9. (Dodged!)

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Cacodemon. Roll = 6. (Hit!). Damage = 7+4-6 = 5. Cacodemon has 22 END left.

Trickster fights Cacodemon. Roll = 7. (Hit!). Damage = 11-6 = 5. Cacodemon has 17 END left.

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt. Roll = 11+5 = 16. (Fizzles)

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage Moves to engage the Cacodemon.

Quick Thinking Bonus:

Trickster fights Cacodemon. Roll = 5. (Hit!). Damage = 6-6 = 0. (No Damage!)

Round 2

Awareness 10 acts ...

Cacodemon fights Warrior. Roll = 5. (Hit!) Damage = 8+3-7 = 4/2 = 2. Warrior has 33 END left.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Cacodemon. Roll = 7. (Hit!). Damage = 5+4-6 = 3. Cacodemon has 14 END left.

Trickster fights Cacodemon. Roll = 5. (Hit!). Damage = 15-6 = 9. Cacodemon has 5 END left.

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt. Roll = 8+5 = 13. (Success!) Cacodemon is destroyed.
It shrivels to a brown husk, just like a dry leaf in autumn. A few of the tormented souls nearby muster their strength for a weak cheer. A couple are even given enough courage by your example to make a break from the others. You see them reach the lip of the cave mouth and scramble down to safety.

The others only watch for a moment with anguished expressions, then start to shuffle towards the river again. The other demons give you venomous glances. At your feet, a new shoot has already sprouted from the ground where you slew the demon.

Aware of the futility of taking on more of them, you pass by in heavy spirits.
Looks like our guide was exactly lying when he said this was futile......
The cave extends back for miles, widening at some points into vast bulbous chambers where the stone has formed baroque decorations. Moisture trickles down the walls, causing an endless whispering as it flows to the river.

At last you reach the back of the cavern. Water covers the rock like a living skin. The Traveller points to a narrow fissure from where it seems to be pouring. You scale the wall to investigate.

The fissure is low, such that you have to crouch to proceed. Then you have to go on all fours. Finally you can only crawl on your belly like a snake. Green-white phosphorescence streams from somewhere ahead, creating an ethereal hissing in the air. You feel as though you are pushing through invisible webs. Blood thunders in your veins.

'Like returning to the womb, isn't it?' whispers the Traveller, chuckling.

'Shut up.' You are getting tired of his continual remarks.
Just when you are beginning to think you will become trapped in the narrowing tunnel, it widens out and you emerge into open air. You are standing on a hard stone plain that sparkles under a net of hoarfrost. Icy cold wind whips at your robes and hair. The sky above is cloudless and black and filled with a million stars.

And before you, in the centre of the vast plain, stands Azrael himself.
I guess Icon Traveler is seeing the 4 PCs' faces on Azrael? Or does he only see the guy who got the killing blow?
Azrael is a naked giant as large as a mountain. His skin is jet black, and wrapped across his face is a white blindfold. A colossal sword is planted on the ground in front of him, with his mighty hand resting on its ivory pommel.

He is indeed the Angel of Death. His face is beautiful beyond mortal comprehension, and he has wings which touch the edges of the sky. The plumage of these wings has a pattern like a peacock's tail, with countless eyes - except that many of the 'eyes' in the pattern appear to be closed. You know from folklore that each represents a man or woman in the mortal world, closing when that individual dies. When all the eyes are closed it will be the Day of Judgement, and that day cannot be far off. Many more are closed than are open: the dead far outnumber the living.

If Cordelia is with you, turn to 150. If not, turn to 441.
Doesn't really matter here....if we didn't summon her at the Shrine, she shows up here anyway. Maybe she was already here previously, and we made her walk all the way back here by summoning her away.
Cordelia speaks for the first time. Looking about her as though awaking from a dream, she says, 'What is this place? What has happened to me?' She shivers in the wind.

'Have no fear,' the Traveller says to her. 'I will take you back to the mortal world, where your memories will soon return.'

What does he mean, he will take her back ...?
Drop that silly disguise already!
Earlier you may have written down something you were suspicious about. If it concerned the Traveller, turn to 325. If not, turn to 391.
We don't need to write anything down. We just know, alright?
If you merely suspected he was up to no good, turn to 186. If you also realised that he is not who he seems, turn to 534. If you realised that he is actually your arch-foe, Icon the Ungodly, turn to 468.
Just get to the part where we stab his ass already!
The Traveller turns to you with a sneer. 'Yes,' he says, 'it is I who shall keep your pact with Entasius while you remain here and rot in Death's domain for ever. Have you not guessed who I truly am - who it is that has guided you through Sheol's perils in order to savour this final scene of vengeance?'

'Icon,' you say. 'You talk a good fight, as usual.'

'So you had guessed!' He hurls aside his cloak and hat. It is difficult to see now why you didn't recognise him as soon as you met. Some sort of illusion-magic, no doubt.

'And do you recognise this ...?' He produces a sword that he had worn slung across his back, under the cloak. Its jewelled hilt and scabbard make the Blood Sword unmistakable. Icon tosses it to the ground behind him. 'No good for fighting, badly balanced,' he says dismissively. He twists the end of his staff and there is a click as he withdraws a straight slender blade that was concealed there. 'I much prefer the kiri-ha form. Let me show you how effective it can be in the hands of a master ...'
Icon seems almost crazed with exhilaration as he closes to attack you. 'Could there be a more fitting place to settle our blood-feud?' he cries. 'Here, under the gaze of Death himself, I will finally revenge myself upon you!'

The monstrous ego of the man! Azrael is the instrument of the Lord God to whom you are no greater than motes of dust, yet Icon thinks of him as some kind of spectacular backdrop for your battle ...

Icon
Fighting Prowess: 9 Psychic Ability: 9
Awareness: 9 Damage per blow: 5 Dice
Armour Rating: 0
Endurance: 55

Note: Icon is immune to the spell of Servile Enthralment. He has four spells that he might use in the battle. Unless there is a reader playing Icon's part, you will need to roll randomly for his action each Round:

1-3 - Strikes with sword
4-6 - Prepares/casts a spell

His spells are:

-- Haragei ('Inner Force') - This Complexity Level One spell increases the focus of Icon's strength, so that he strikes for six Dice in combat. It lasts for four Rounds, and once he has cast it he will not bother with any other magic until it wears off. Icon favours the Haragei spell when he is fighting only one or two opponents.

-- Hikari ('Fire') - A Blasting spell of Complexity Level Two. It inflicts 1 Die+4 (less Armour Rating) on all players. Icon will only use this if he is fighting three or more opponents.

-- Nindo ('Invisibility') - A Complexity Level Three spell that turns Icon invisible for four Rounds. While he is invisible, fight rolls against him must be made on three Dice (four if he is dodging).

-- Sha-ken ('Throwing Stars') - This Complexity Level Four spell causes a volley of up to six sha-ken (roll one Die for the exact number) to fly out of mid-air and strike a single opponent. Each sha-ken inflicts two Dice damage (less Armour Rating) and remains lodged in the target's body. The player must spend one Round removing the sha-ken; if he does not, he takes a further 1 point of Endurance damage per sha-ken each Round, with armour no longer protecting.

If you move over to the Blood Sword and spend a Round picking it up, note the number of this entry and then turn to 194. If the Sage is here and wants to spend a Round trying to Exorcise Icon's spirit, he or she should turn to 95. If you kill Icon, turn to 52.
Kind of underwhelming as an End Boss, really, considering he had the exact same stats back in Book 3 (while the heroes have all been buffed up to varyinf degrees since). They've given him some spells to add to his versatility...but considering his PA is the same as his FP, and spells are harder to hit (takes extra time to call to mind and spell level adds to the roll), AND the fact that he can do way more damage with his sword anyway....I don't think that's much of an improvement.
The difficulty of the final battle against Icon depends on how much you suspect him. If the player completely did not suspect him, it can get slightly tricky as Icon creates 4 clones of himself to join the fight. Not has hard as it sounds, though, since each can be destroyed with one hit. It just buys him extra time as you have to spend a few rounds guessing which one of him to hit.
Note: I'll try to use Icon as intelligently as I can (although I can't have him run away, which might be the smartest thing), since he's already fought you twice before and should be very familiar with you style and abilities. Of course, the odds are still in the players' favour no matter what....especially with that ankh's power.

Darth will be back soon, so I guess I can wait to hear from him whether he wishes to use Exorcism. And of course, anybody want to go pick up the Blood Sword, shout out!

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 12
Psychic Ability: 7
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 33/39
Damage: 2 Dice +4 (+3 from Enchanted Sword)

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Enchanted Sword (+3 Damage)
2 Enchanted Chainmail armour (Armour Rating five)
3 Money pouch (100 gold)
4 Silver crucifix (with finger-bone of St Ashanax)
5 Iron Bell
6 Bedroll
7 Shielding Charm (+1 AR)
8 Dog-faced Creature's Spear
9 Ointment of Healing (10 Applications, +2D6 END each)
10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 7
Endurance: 31/31
Damage: 3 Dice (+1d6 from Magic Axe)

Items:
1 Enchanted Sword (+1 FP)
2 Magical Chainmail (Armour Rating 4)
3 Golden Snuffbox
4 Magical Axe (+1d6 Damage)
5 Gold ankh-cross (reduce Damage by half for entire party)
6 Magic Bow (Damage 1 Die+1)
7 Harp
8 Quiver (2 arrows)
9 Fur Cloak
10 Gilt-edged scroll
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 21/26
Damage: 3 Dice (+1d6 from Magic Axe)

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
2 Magical Chainmail (Armour Rating 4)
3 Seafaring Charts from Hunguk's ship
4 Magical Axe (+1d6 Damage)
5 Magic Bow (Damage 1 Die+4)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Skull Amulet
8 Blue Crystal Eyes
9 Typhon's Crystal Eye
10 Silver key to Fatima's garden
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 15 (+1 from Ring of Sorcery)
Endurance: 26/26
Damage: 1 Die +2

Items:
1 Brazier
2 Magical Silver Plate (Armour Rating 5)
3 Bedroll
4 Magical Bread Crust of Infinity
5 Fur Cloak
6 Money pouch (100 gold pieces)
7 Ring of Sorcery (+1 PA)
8 Iron rations (7 days)
9 Amber Tinderbox
10 Empty slot
Last edited by SGamerz on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Someone should definitely grab the sword before this fight ends, in case it being unattended at that point is a bad thing. I think the Trickster should do it, since Benedict can get it done on turn 1.

In the meantime, I'll do my best to shove my magic sword up Icon's dead arse. Not blade-first. Not handle-first. Sideways.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

SGamerz wrote:Looks like our guide was exactly lying when he said this was futile......
I assume you meant to write "wasn't exactly lying", but that's actually wrong. It may not mean much in the way of loot and stat raises, but we just saved a bunch of people. That's gotta count, right?

Actually, given how generally shitty one's metaphysical prospects are, no matter the religion, I could've thought Icon's attempt to help the mages destroy the world is a reasonable and merciful option -- except he makes it clear that it's not, he's just a raging monster-of-the-week dick trying to compensate for being one-upped in the dickery department by a foppish pervy prince. Fighting the demon establishes us as the Good Guys.
Icon wrote:'Yes,' he says, 'it is I who shall keep your pact with Entasius while you remain here and rot in Death's domain for ever. Have you not guessed who I truly am - who it is that has guided you through Sheol's perils in order to savour this final scene of vengeance?'
Why does he need Cordelia, anyway (and how does he know about Entasius, other than listening to assumed intra-party banter)? We only owe Entasius a favor for transporting us to Sheol more or less alive. We dropped him down here. Getting out hasn't been on the table (yet).

I'll get the sword. Then, if it doesn't shoot little swords at opponents at range or is otherwise crazy good, I'll read the gilt-edged scroll. I want to land a hit on Icon, and with Armor 0 he isn't going to last long.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Trickster needs to drop something before he can pick up the Blood Sword.

Possibly, he can use the scroll first and then pick up the sword when the scroll is expended, but that's up to you.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

SGamerz wrote:Trickster needs to drop something before he can pick up the Blood Sword.

Possibly, he can use the scroll first and then pick up the sword when the scroll is expended, but that's up to you.
I only have one arrow left, I'll drop the quiver.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I think we all deserve a good hit in on this guy; I'll drop everything but Nemesis bolt, cast that, and then defend.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Shit just got real.

Pepito will try to exorcise Icon. Trapping the warlock in a bottle and hurling him into the underworld wasn't enough to stop him, so Pepito doubts anything more than annihilating his soul will end this madness.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Let's hope he stays dead this time....

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 9 acts ...

Icon Moves to engage Enchanter.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior chases after Icon.

Trickster moves to the Blood Sword.

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt. Roll = 3+5 = 8. (Success!) Damage = 28+7 = 35. Icon has 20 END left.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage tries Exorcism ..
SAGE:
Exorcism works against spirits and undead, but Icon is neither. It was in his mortal form that you cast him down into Sheol, and he is as real and living an entity here as you are.

Turn back to 121 and go on with the fight.
Oh well, it was worth a try.....

Back to the fight...
Quick Thinking bonus:

Trickster picks up Blood Sword....
PLAYER WITH THE BLOOD SWORD:
Make sure you have the number of the previous entry before reading on. This entry will not guide you back there.

The Sword of Life, known in popular folklore as the Blood Sword, was created by the Archangel Abdiel. It is one of the most potent and holy relics in all the world. On a mundane level, it adds 3 to its wielder's Fighting Prowess and inflicts an extra two Dice damage when it hits in combat. If you strike an undead creature with it, the creature must attempt to resist a Psychic attack and is instantly destroyed if this fails.

It also has other powers. You will learn more about these as you use it. Now return to the last entry you were reading.
And Icon, idiot that he is, threw this away! (Not that it would have been enough to save him here, though)
Round 2

Awareness 9 acts ...

Icon fights Enchanter. Roll = 6. (Hit!) Damage = 20-5 = 15/2 = 8. Enchanter has 18 EN left.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Icon. Damage = 8 + 4 = 12. Icon has 8 EN left.

Trickster reads the gilt-edged scroll...
Ensure that you have a note of the last entry you were reading.

You unfurl the ancient parchment and read the two words written there: 'Ruat fulmen.'

A moment passes, during which you can feel the rapid build-up of unearthly power. The air becomes oppressive, a high whistling is faintly audible. Then the sorcery you have summoned is unleashed in the form of a massive white thunderbolt. It descends from out of nowhere, and if you are in combat - or just about to enter combat - you can direct it at one of your foes. The bolt inflicts five Dice damage, less the target's Armour Rating.

The scroll disintegrates into a fine white powder. You can now return to the entry you were reading before.
That was almost Nemesis Bolt Junior.

Damage = 12! Icon is killed....(for realz??)
Mortally wounded, Icon sinks to his knees on the frost-rimmed rock. As you have seen from your two previous encounters with him, his powerful ki force lets him cling to life for a few extra moments - but this time he does not use his Vaporisation spell to escape.

Despite the obvious agony, he opens his mouth to speak. His voice is a rasping whisper: 'I ... underestimated you. You have developed real skill since we last clashed. For years you had only my hatred ... but now you have my admiration also. I am ... honoured ... to have been ... your enemy ...'

He falls silent, staring at you with an indescribable expression. You wait a few moments but he says nothing else. When you touch the body, it slumps lifeless to the ground.

And amid Azrael's plumage, another of the myriad eyes winks shut.
Developed real skills since we last fought (didn't we already best him fair and square last time anyway)?.....not really, we just picked up lots of real awesome loot since.
If you have not yet retrieved the Blood Sword then you find it among Icon's belongings. You can find out its power at any time - now or later - by turning to 194. You will first have to note the number of the entry you're reading, though, as 194 will not direct you back there.
Already done that...
Azrael tilts his colossal head and speaks at last, and his voice shakes the sky and the very ground underfoot:

'The Dies Irae is near. As I reckon time, it is scarcely a heartbeat hence; to you, it is perhaps a year - or two. According to ancient prophecies, the last days will be a time of reversals when men will caper like animals and beasts will walk upon their hind legs and hold learned discourse. It is the greatest of reversals for the Sword of Life to be here in my domain while the Sword of Death is abroad in the upper world. Thus I thought for a time that the prophecy had been fulfilled, and that the Day of Judgement was at hand.'

He pauses for a moment, and then answers your thought before you can voice it:

'No, I am not all-knowing. That is for the Lord Himself and no other. Similarly, although blind-folded, I am not forbidden from direct involvement in human affairs. I have been close behind you on many occasions, and in some cases exercised my own judgement not to bring you to me sooner.'

'Lord Azrael,' you say. 'The Sword of Life still has important work to do in the mortal world. The True Magi are gathering their power for a return to Spyte, from which they can extend their malefic influence like the strands of a cobweb. This -' You brandish the blade. 'This can stop them.'

'You ask for me to return you to middle earth,' said Azrael, his words like the tolling of a great iron bell. 'In truth, a mortal sorcerer has already arranged your passage back. But what of the girl with you? While you are still clothed in living flesh and bone, she is a bare spirit. She belongs among the inhabitants of my realm, and the tally must not be altered. She cannot leave here unless another agrees to take her place.'

If one player agrees to sacrifice himself or herself by remaining in Sheol, turn to 43. If no player is prepared to do that, turn to 53.
.....And I guess now know the real reason why Entasius didn't come down himself?

Hey, we just came down to make sure Icon dies for real, can't we use him as the sacrifice?

Oh well...which one of you wish volunteer to sacrifice him/herself to restore Cordelia?
Last edited by SGamerz on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Yep, we just killed Icon. The tally was altered literally seconds ago.

I volunteer to stay and argue semantics with Azrael until he gets sick of it and sends me back. Not sure about the Blood Sword though.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

On the one hand, I support Ben's decision; if anyone's going to be able to weasel out of this, it's him. Also, Christ-figure acts would seem to play to the author's fetishes. If we're taking that route, Reed should take the ankh, and I'll carry the Bloodsword (although I think Pepito would be better off wielding it, his hands are full right now).

On the other hand, what? Our passage is already arranged? Seemingly without ghost-passenger restriction? It sounds like we could just cowboy up and go, then tell Entasius sorry when we get back. Especially since the book is supposed to be solo-able.

No, stick with the self-sacrifice bit. I think the author might not appreciate us subverting his epic tale with a Renegade option.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I'll keep the ankh, I may need it to weasel out:
The ankh represents Life - the only source of such power, here in Death's realm.
(The Blood Sword is also a source of Life power, but returning without it is so obviously pointless that if it's required, I'm going to complain.)
angelfromanotherpin wrote:Especially since the book is supposed to be solo-able.
It can pull a "if you're on your own"/"if you're in a multi-player party" thing, like it did in v2.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Starmaker wrote:
angelfromanotherpin wrote:Especially since the book is supposed to be solo-able.
It can pull a "if you're on your own"/"if you're in a multi-player party" thing, like it did in v2.
Let's find out, then....
If you are a lone player, turn to 399. If you are in a team of two or more, decide who will remain here in Sheol and then turn to 124.
Bingo!
'This was the oath sworn to Entasius in return for his aid,' you admit, 'that Cordelia would be returned to him no matter what the cost. Very well, Lord Death. One of us will take her place among your subjects.' The player who has volunteered to remain in Sheol steps forward.

Azrael smiles at him or her. 'Well spoken. You are truly a worthy successor to the likes of Heraklos, Ulixes and Vallandar. If it were my decision to make, I would allow you to return to the mortal world and prosecute your conflict with the Magi. But this is the unalterable law of God: that, though I may pick and choose among the living, taking whom I will and after whatever span of years, even I cannot change the total tally of all the dead.' He raises a massive hand from the pommel of his sword. 'You may all return now to the mortal plane. When you have said your farewells, I shall come to claim the one who is pledged to me.'

He reaches his towering arm towards the firmament. A nebula of light surrounds his hand. He is opening a gateway to the mortal world.

The wind roars across the plain, bringing with it a blizzard that bears down upon you. You are surrounded in snow that stings your flesh, and the air is so cold that you cannot draw it into your lungs.

'Merciful God -' you scream as you feel your consciousness fading.

Azrael's voice booms out of the blizzard. 'Be silent! Do not tremble and call upon the Lord to aid you! It is not the sensation of death that you now feel and fear - it is the sensation of returning to life.'

Cold and darkness enfold you. Swept along by unearthly forces, you experience flashes of consciousness like the breaks in delirium. You cannot tell how long has passed, when finally you feel hands upon you. You have been washed ashore on a stony beach, and a tall woman is calling her servants to pull you from the waves. You look up at her: it is Entasius's servitor. When you look for the faces of her helpers, you see only darkness ...

You fall unconscious again. When you awaken you are back in the room of cold stone slabs where your journey to Sheol began. The servitor is here. She steps back from you, having just moistened your lips with elixir from an alabaster vase. You sit up on the slab. You are clothed in white togas, and the Blood Sword is still in your hands. Cordelia is on a slab beside you, staring about her with wide eyes.

'You were naked when we found you washed up on the beach,' says the servitor in a soothing voice. 'All your belongings were lost - except for that sword, which could not be prised from your grasp.'

You smile wryly. 'It will soon be time for a permanent parting. One of us has agreed to return to Sheol to take Cordelia's place. The quest for this sword has proved very costly indeed.'

'It takes great bravery and honour to sacrifice oneself for a greater good,' she says to the player whose soul is pledged to Azrael. 'Your name will be spoken of with reverence whenever great heroes gather.'

She turns to Cordelia. 'Have no fear. You are once more in the mortal world. Entasius is here.'

Cordelia speaks in a small voice: 'Entasius ...'

'Aye, my love.' The ancient wizard has entered the room behind you. 'Now we are together again, and not all the storms of hell shall ever part us.'

She looks round, then gasps in dismay. 'No, no. You are not ... cannot be Entasius! My love was young and strong, full of life.' She shrinks from his withered touch. 'You are an old, old man.'

Entasius cries out at the revulsion he sees in her eyes. 'And wilt thou greet me thus, that hath loved thee so long? Alas, thy cruelty!' He gives a terrible groan. Suddenly seeming to sense a presence at his shoulder, he turns and stares into a corner of the room. You can see no one there. 'O Death!' he moans. 'For seven centuries I have forestalled thee, and all that time I loved a phantom. Approach me now, then. I welcome the touch of thy wing!'

A shadow settles over him. For a moment you fancy you glimpsed a dark-robed figure stooping there. Then Entasius gives a gasp and sinks to the stone floor. He is dead.

The player who had agreed to give up his or her life in exchange for Cordelia's should now turn to 276.
PLAYER WHO VOLUNTEERED:
[A voice speaks to you. A faint, far-off whisper: 'You are released from your agreement. Entasius has come to my realm in exchange for his lover's life, and the tally is as before. But of course, the time will come when we must meet again ...' You feel a shiver run through you, then Death is gone from the room.]
And all's right with the world again....well, except for her.....
Only the sound of sobbing disturbs the silence. You look down at Cordelia, crouching beside the frail body of the wizard, cradling his head in her arms. But it is too late for regrets. You follow the servitor from the room.
Maybe she can study sorcery to stay alive for the next few centuries and then find some other sucker to bring back her boyfriend, so that they'll be around the same age!
Delete all items from your Character Sheets except for the Blood Sword. Everything else was lost in the transition between Sheol and this world.

However, you have in effect died and been reborn. This affects you in several ways. Firstly, if you were suffering from any form of illness, poison, madness, curse or amnesia then you are now purged of it. If any player's Fighting Prowess, Awareness, Psychic Ability and Endurance were below their normal levels, they are restored.

Also, you have become much more than ordinary mortals. Only those who were destined for heroic stature could survive the perils of Death's land. Consequently your abilities are greatly enhanced, as follows:

If you are the Warrior, you can strike twice each Round (once with each hand). Your unarmed combat skills are also such that you no longer need to reduce your Fighting Prowess and damage rolls when fighting without a weapon.

If you are the Sage, you now use a multiplier of 1 Die-1 (instead of 1 Die-2) when using your Healing talent.

If you are the Trickster, you find that your agility and coordination are much greater than before. An opponent who is trying to hit you must now make his, her or its fight rolls on three Dice (four if you're defending).

If you are the Enchanter, you now only use one Die when making the roll to cast a spell.

When all players have noted the appropriate changes on their Character Sheets, turn to 92.
All that loot! We barely got to know them! :(

On the plus side....MAJOR power-up all-round! And yes, Reed just became immune to spell failures.....unless he's carrying 5 or more spells spells in his mind at a time!
For successfully completing the adventure you get one thousand experience points (to be divided equally among all surviving players).

Entasius's servitor takes you to another room stocked with armour and weapons. 'Entasius kept these things to equip his demon fighters when they were needed,' she says. 'Nothing here is magical, but at least they will be more appropriate than the togas I had you clothed in.'

You can take your pick of the items. There are swords, bows, quivers full of arrows, and quarterstaffs. There are also numerous suits of studded leather armour (Armour Rating 2) and a single suit of plate (Armour Rating 4).

Once you have fully-equipped, turn to 557.
You can take your picks of the new Equipment now....but we might as well do that at the beginning of the next book, since the very next section....
The servitor leads you to the shore where a longship awaits you. Its oars are manned by invisible faltyns.

'This ship will convey you to the mainland,' she says. 'After the quest you undertook on my master's behalf, this is but a small recompense.'

'It was a quest which for him brought only grief,' you reply. 'Fortunately it also led to the recovery of the Blood Sword - so, though his motive was nothing more than his love for Cordelia, the whole world now owes him an inestimable debt. This sword shall be the salvation of us all.'

'Aye,' she says softly as you board the ship. 'Save for my poor master, who is now beyond salvation ...'

Invisible and soundless, the faltyns ply the oars. The ship sweeps away from the lonely island, parting the waves with her prow. Spread by gusts of wind, your robes resembles the wings of the Angel of Death.

You do not look back. Your eyes are fixed on the horizon ahead, and they are like shards of ice. You swing the sword aloft and swear a solemn vow:

'Magi, beware! Too long have your foul plans been left to fester; now the day of your destruction is near. The hand of righteous wrath is reaching out of the west to smite you. And it is the hand that wields THE BLOOD SWORD!'

The final battle with the True Magi awaits you in Book Five of the Blood Sword series: The Walls of Spyte.
Congratulations! You've made it back from Hell itself. The True Magi can't possibly be any worse, right?.....

Well, we'll find out in the upcoming last episode.....which will probably start some time during the weekend.

My internet access is somewhat limited for the next two weeks, so updates might be more erratic.....but I'll still come back with a summary of what we missed, so feel free to ask about anything you want to know regarding that.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

While I remembered the whole "heroic sacrifice" deal, I'm still kind of disappointed that it didn't turn out to be what Starmaker feared:
Starmaker wrote:...Now I'm more than a little bit worried that all this multiculturalism also serves to establish that Death/Hel/Azrael has an aspect of the Plague Star to it, and we're in much deeper trouble than previously assumed.
It would have been much more interesting and would have provided a stronger lead-in to fighting the True Magi in the next book (which I don't remember at all--I'm not sure I actually read/played it).

I think Kiki should get the Blood Sword and the full plate (if the rest of the party agrees to it). Pepito will take a bow, a quiver, a quarterstaff, and a suit of studded leather armor. Basically his starting equipment from back in book 1.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

While I remembered the whole "heroic sacrifice" deal, I'm still kind of disappointed that it didn't turn out to be what Starmaker feared:
Starmaker wrote:...Now I'm more than a little bit worried that all this multiculturalism also serves to establish that Death/Hel/Azrael has an aspect of the Plague Star to it, and we're in much deeper trouble than previously assumed.
It would have been much more interesting and would have provided a stronger lead-in to fighting the True Magi in the next book (which I don't remember at all--I'm not sure I actually read/played it).

I think Kiki should get the Blood Sword and the full plate (if the rest of the party agrees to it). Pepito will take a bow, a quiver, a quarterstaff, and a suit of studded leather armor. Basically his starting equipment from back in book 1.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Darth Rabbitt wrote:I think Kiki should get the Blood Sword and the full plate (if the rest of the party agrees to it).
The plate definitely, the Blood Sword, maybe. If I can wield the Blood Sword two-handed (or juggle it, whatevs) and strike with it twice/round, then definitely. Otherwise, Benedict should wield it - he benefits more from the fighting prowess boost and can get in an extra shot with Quick Thinking; in that case, Kiki will just go full She-Hulk and smash people with her armored fists.

What does happen if you try to Renegade the deal for Cordelia? What's the deal with the Styx water?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:What does happen if you try to Renegade the deal for Cordelia?
Here's the section:
You sweep a hand in Cordelia's direction, momentarily speechless with disbelied. 'Remain forever in the land of the dead - so that this girl can return to the world she left seven centuries ago ...? Lord Azrael, consider the absurdity involved. The world has need of heroes now. The True Magi and a hundred other evils must be confronted and destroyed, or the coming millennium will not be the earthly paradise that mankind hopes for. Aye, it is heroes the world needs. Of insignificant people such as this girl, it already has its fill.'

Azrael smiles sadly. 'Your argument is well reasoned. I sought to test you - but it was a moral test, not a proposition of logic. Rationality and rhetoric are not what make a hero, for these gifts were given by God to all men to make use of as they choose. In heroes I would look for other qualities - not least courage, selflessness and loyalty to one's sworn oath. In these you are lacking.'

You open your lips to answer but find that you cannot draw breath. Moaning, you slump to the icy plain. Darkness closes around you as Azrael claims you finally for his own. You will awaken beside the River Cocytus without memories of your mortal life. There you will remain until Doomsday, when all the souls in Sheol return to the world to be judged.

You were so near to glorious victory; but, like so many others who aspire to be heroes, you had a fatal flaw ...
angelfromanotherpin wrote:What's the deal with the Styx water?
Neither Icon nor the boatman were telling the complete truths....or they were both telling the truth, in a way.

Each player can dip his/her hand in the water up to 3 times. The first time, there's a 50% chance of insta-death, but also a 50% chance of gaining 17% damage immunity (each time you take damage, you can ignore it if you roll a 6).

After that the risk increase and the benefit goes down. The second time, there's a 5/6 chance of insta-death for the chance to increase your immunity to 33%.

The third you try the water, you die. Full stop.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Hoho, totally not worth it.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Other stuff we missed:

I think, because the author planned for us to lose all our loot at the end of the book, this is also the book where we can get the most opportunity to use items we gained from the previous books (multiple places to use each item, in fact, although not all the results are good). Somehow, though, we managed to miss most of them. At least Benedict didn't waste the gilt-edged scroll.

As mentioned before using the harp might not have been the best action to take against the Barrow Wights, because we could have gained some loot if we actually fought them (although, due to the path we take, it turned out that we didn't have to use most of them). This is what they look like, btw:
And the loot? First, some ancient currency that we could have used to pay the boatman (although thanks to the Trickster we still got across). Then there's the copper rod that we could have used to avoid a fight against Lei Kung. We managed fine without it, but here's what would have happened if we had the rod:
The rod almost sings in your hand. An unseen energy is causing it to vibrate. Acting on a hunch, you plant it in the ground beside you and step to one side just as Lei King's flickering flame-tongue stabs down. To his obvious astonishment, the bolt twists in midair and strikes the copper rod. He begins to gnash his teeth in fury, sending bolt after bolt down towards you. But all are pulled to the rod.

You can see one problem. Lei Kung has you pinned here, because you cannot pick up the rod safely and if you walk too far away from it you will no longer be protected. Maybe your ploy isn't such a good one after all.

The Traveller solves this dilemma. He starts laughing at the furious demon, pointing at him and jeering in various languages. 'Look at the old Lord Thunder,' he says to no one in particular. 'He used to be a hotshot, but now he can't hit a person's head when they're standing right below him. Poor old fellow. He ought to retire.'

Lei Kung suddenly gives a snarl and flies off over the woods. You look questioningly at the Traveller.

'Lei Kung is a god of the Orient,' he says. 'And there it is intolerable to lose face. He could not stay to listen to a mortal's taunts, even though he might have killed us eventually if he had.'

'It is very fortunate for us that you understand the ways of the Orient.'

'Yes. Now, we should make for the mountains before he decides to return.'
One of the few instances where the Traveler actually did something useful!

Speaking of which, it's pretty clear that while Traveler seldom gives you outright wrong information, he generally only gives good advice after you've already decided on the right course of action, for obvious reasons (such as suggesting getting honey cakes from Angvar only after we choose to go to the mead hall, despite him claiming that he was "just about to suggest it").

The last and possibly most useful loot (if we'd needed it) is a Mirrored Shield, which could have been used to deal with a Gorgon in the tower that we bypassed (but still got the loot from there, again thanks to the Trickster). More on the Gorgon later.

Here's the pic of a guy we never met thanks to the route we took in Book 3:
Tobias DeVantery, Commander of the Capellars (the Warrior's contact in the last book). He actually plays a bigger role in this book than the last. He could have helped us gain free passage on the Golden Lance if we can convince him that we're on an important holy mission. Sadly, "going to Hell to gain the Blood Sword back" isn't a good argument to use here, as the idea of entering Hell is sheer blasphemy to this religious fanatic, and will prompt him to imprison us instead! The Trickster could have made up a convincing story to persuade him. The Enchanter could have conjured up a fake official letter from his superior (with the help of a faltyn). He can also screw it up by telling the faltyn to impersonate an angel to try and convince Tobias, as the commander somehow sees right through the illusion.

There're a few ways to break out of jail, although the most obvious one (Immediate Deliverance) will be denied us, as the Enchanter will be put in shackles that restrain him from using magic. The Warrior can break the shackles, although the roll will be very difficult. The Trickster can pick off the shackles too, or if he has enough gold, can trick the guards into fighting over them. The Sage can use a mildly amusing idea with Levitation, although he needs to answer another of those pseudo-zen questionsL
You finger your jaw and try to think of a plan. Outside, three of the gaolers go off duty while the remaining two produce dice, several piles of copper pennies and a jug of wine. They have soon launched into a noisy gambling session. You will never get a better chance to escape.

You clear your mind in preparation for the use of your psionic powers. If, you concentrate on escaping, turn to 288. If, instead, you focus your mind on not being imprisoned turn to 477.
Imprisonment . . . freedom or captivity - these are just states of mind. The truly enlightened individual cannot be fettered by any means. As these thoughts come to you, you feel yourself rise up from the floor until you are floating weightless in the air. Levitating above the door, you call out to the gaolers in mocking tones: 'Thank you for your hospitality - and farewell!'

If you are alone, turn to 185. If you are with one or more companions, turn to 285.
You see a pair of frightened eyes peer in between the bars of the door. 'W-where's the other one gone?' asks the gaoler. Tobias'll kill us like he'd kill a couple of rats if he finds out we've let a prisoner escape.'

The other gaoler shoves him aside. He seems made of sterner stuff. 'Don't give me any fairytales,' he snarls at you. 'Just tell me where your crony has got to.'

You shrug and look back ingenuously. 'Spirited away,' you reply.

The gaoler grumbles as he unlocks the door. 'We'll soon see about that. Franz - get your crossbow ready.'
One of the gaolers enters, looking around in bewilderment. Before he thinks to look up, you break your meditational state. Regaining your full weight, you drop onto his back and knock him to the floor. He gives a moan but is stunned by the impact and cannot get up.
Which leaves just one gaoler that the entire party can easily stomp.
A lone Warrior or Enchanter may be screwed here, as they have no good individual character options....but they may have a good item. Some grisly fingerbones fro the last book can pick the locks (as mentioned they were the bones of a legendary thief), a blasting scepter from Book 1 can blow the door down, an Orb of Fire will burn the place down but also endanger the party itself to some extent. The only item our party would have had, Screebo the Raven, is useless here, though:
You urge Screebo to get the keys. At first he seems to understand your words. Squeezing between the bars of the door, he struts across to the table where the two gaolers are gambling. He looks up at the key-ring hanging from the back of a chair - and then emits a loud croak which makes the gaolers start in alarm.

They stare down at Screebo, who is how preening himself in a self-satisfied manner. 'Well,' says one of them, smirking, 'maybe you thought your bird would help you escape? It looks like he knows which side his bread's buttered, though!'

The two gaolers slap their thighs, roaring with laughter, and then feed Screebo a few scraps left over from their last meal. Treacherous bird . . .
So IS Screebo useful for anything? Yes, but we missed the place where he could have done some good by visiting the mead hall. More on that later.

As mentioned before, going on the pilgrim ship Providence would have sent us to Circe's Island. Here's where another old plot coupon coild have come to good use: the Iron Bell that was the bane of the Warlock King's dream magic works just as well against Circe's illusion. Just like in Book 2, it's an insta-win if we use in in a direct fight against Circe.

Here's a pic of Circe, when we use the Iron Bell to dispel her illusion....thus turning her minions back into the toad-like things they were:
But even using the bell on Circe's Island isn't always the right option. When we first get on the island, the crew of the Providence are all bewitched by the illusion (though Captain Puldro will be mysteriously immune from it). Circe will not show her face immediately, and we have the option of heading deep in to confront her. We also have the option to stay and try to break the spell on the sailors. Here's where it cold have been good to use the harp (although it does mean we miss a direct encounter with Circe herself):
Plucking at the strings of the harp, you commence a lay in Angate:

'Sancta mater graciae,
stella daritatis,
visita nos hodie,
plena pietatis.
'Veni, vena veniae
mox incarcerates,
solamen angustiae,
fons suavitatis.'

The men gradually break off from their illusory revels to watch you with tear-filled eyes. Still playing the harp, you slowly descend the steps back to the cove where the Providence lies at anchor. They follow you, entranced by your words and music.

You lead them aboard and then start to play a fast Cornumbrian slip jig. Feet flying and elbows pumping, they dance happily as they weigh anchor and unfurl the sails. Slowly the Providence eases out of the cove on to open sea.

Glancing back, you are struck by the sight of a lone figure atop the cliffs. It is a woman, very tall and dressed in a white peplos after the fashion of Ancient Emphidor. You seem to catch a sensation of mingled rage and admiration from her - but it must be your imagination, of course, as you could not have made out her expression at this distance . . .

Then she is gone.
Using the Iron Bell, on the other hand, while it does break the illusion....will have a most undesirable effect. Namely, it pisses the sailors off:
Uraba the seer gave you this bell to counter the magic of the Warlock-King. His power was the power of dream and unreality. Indeed, he was the greatest master of illusion the world has ever known - save for the True Magus Tor, who transmogrified into Blue Moon when Spyte fell. Perhaps the same thing that could break the Warlock-King's magic will also work here. You swing the bell. Immediately the revellers clap their hands to their ears and drop to the grass as though stunned. Each toll of the bell brings a groan of dismay from them.

At last you stop ringing the bell. Slowly the sailors and pilgrims get up and look around. The sun has set completely now, and only a wan, cloud-filtered moonshine illuminates the island. 'Where have the pretty maids gone?' they whisper to one another, 'Where the drink, and where the song?' They turn on you with hard looks replacing their earlier smiles. 'Paradise has slipped away from us. Because of you.'

If you try telling them it was all an illusion, turn to 540. If you forget about explanations and just make a run for it, turn to 80.
The correct thing to do would be to run. It's that or get murdered, literally. The Enchanter can save the party with Immediate Deliverance, but other than that, it's death to the heroes if they chose to waste time trying to reason with an angry mob. The only other guy who can save himself is the Trickster, but he can't save his companions:
Your quick wit saves you as it has so many times before. Spying a log, you throw yourself to the ground beside it while at the same time spreading your cloak out to cover it. Then you scrabble into the bushes out of sight as the irate crowds rush up and begin to strike at the cloakdraped log.

'By Garm's teeth!' you hear a pilgrim gasp. This one seems as tough as an old oak.'

Take up a rock to strike with, brother,' someone replies. 'You'll hear the bones break soon enough.'

'Bones? But look - this is not a person, it is but a log with a cape spread over it. We've been tricked . . . !'

'Name of the game, "brother",' you whisper to yourself as you slip away unnoticed in the direction of the ship. You do not like the idea of leaving Puldro (and your comrades, if any) to be torn apart, but there is nothing you could have done.

All other players are dead and their equipment lost. You should turn to 264.
Before the encounter with Circe, we also have the chance to pick up some garlic flowers to make garlands with to make ourselves immune to her flower. The Sage, being the expert on all lores, will know that automatically. The Enchanter has a chance to find out that info, although the author will try to confuse the player with mixed information (players with some knowledge of mythology wouldn't have a problem either way, of course).

We can't actually kill Circe, but if we do defeat her (whether via Iron Bell or normal combat), she not only lifts the spell on the crew and pilgrims, but also teleports us to Entasius' Island for free. And we will also learn the name of a certain Seer we can later summon in the Shrine (more on that later).

One last picture before I move on to the next post....Angvar:
This is where he gives us (or rather, the Warrior) the "reward" for impressing him in combat. Not by actually winning the fight, that's impossible, and the book blatantly says so (unlike in Book 3 where the book actually pretends it's possible to beat Susurrien's pets).

Just take a look at his stats, most importantly, his END:
Angvar

Fighting Prowess: 11 Damage per blow: 7 Dice
Psychic Ability: 9 Awareness: 6
Endurance: 950

Note: He is immune to Servile Enthralment, Sheet Lightning and Nemesis Bolt.
How much we impress him depends on how much END the Warrior has left by the time he "surrenders" the fight. The longer she can hold out till she loses 2/3 of her END, she impresses Angvar.

The reward is an Armband that reduces any electrical damage the wearer takes by half (combined with the ankh, Lei Kung will barely be able to scratch the guy). As I said before, not that important as a quest token, but a pretty col one nonetheless.

More coming next post.....
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

To continue where I left off.....the Warrior gets a chance to wrestle Angvar if we chose not to obey his no-weapons law. Actualy all 4 characters can choose to deal with Angvar in their own ways...but the Warrior loses 50 Exp if he doesn't volunteer, so she definitely should unless there's no Warrior in the party.

The Sage and Trickster as usual get to deal with the situation painlessly. The Sage recognizes Angvar/Tor for who he really is and invokes Odin's name for protection. The Trickster amuses Angvar and his heroes with stories between Tor and Loge (Loki). The Enchanter, like the Warrior will have to take him on in a fight...against an opponent who's immune to his two most damaging spells. He's the worse person to deal with Angvar, since even if he survives the fight Angvar doesn't give him the Armband.

There's an alternative way for the Enchanter to deal with him, but the price is pretty heavy considering there's no special reward. Still, it's a mildly amusing sequence:
If you are with the Warrior, he or she must lose 50 experience points for not accepting the challenge. This applies at the end of the adventure.

Angvar does not look the sort of man to be easily felled by magic. Deciding that it is worth seeking supernatural advice, you retire to a quiet corner of the hall under the pretext of preparing yourself for battle. Once out of sight, you summon a faltyn.

['The sprites speak of this splendid hall - this most stately building - standing here in Hel's fog-locked land,' it says appreciatively. 'Down among the dead men lie its heroes, they say, rising from under the mead-benches to new revelry each day. Great is its lord, the giver of rings, and his hall is no less in renown than that of his raven-counselled sire.']

'Shut up and listen,' you tell it. 'I have to fight this Angvar in a few minutes. Can you think of any way to win?'

[Win? No, not really. Do you have any other questions, or shall I now return to my own world - which is, incidentally, close to Elf-home where Frey of the Vanir has his court?']

Angvar is now getting impatient. You can hear him at the far end of the hall, calling you to battle.

'I ask you for your advice!' you snap at the faltyn.

It hums and haws. ['You are asking a lot, considering your plight. Mortal, you do not know who it is you face. In return for aiding you, I will strip away your ability to use all but the simplest spells until such time as you return from this land to the mortal world . . .']

If you agree to this, turn to 457. If not, dismiss the faltyn and turn to 116.
The faltyn puffs blue smoke into your face. You find you cannot remember how to cast any combat spell above Complexity Level Two. This condition will last until you leave Sheol and return to the land of the living. Note it on your Character Sheet so you don't forget.

'What do you gain by depriving me of my spells?' you ask the faltyn.

['Only a sense of satisfaction. Now attend: this "Angvar" is in fact the thunder-god Tor. You cannot possibly hope to beat him by direct physical or magical attack, but perhaps with a little guile you can still win the day. I will stay by your side and endeavour to aid you.']

It flits along the hall to where Angvar - or rather, Tor - stands waiting. He cannot see it, as it is invisible to all eyes but yours. He also cannot hear it when it speaks.
[You may like to paraphrase the following for the benefit of any other players. They need not know how much is the faltyn's doing . . .] -

With the faltyn whispering in your ear, you begin to devise a plan to outwit Angvar. 'Let's drink first,' you say, reaching for a mead-horn. You pour the mead down your throat until you have to stop for breath. You managed to drain three-quarters of it, though the feat has left your stomach feeling like an overfull wineskin.

Angvar takes the horn. 'Not bad for one so small,' he says as he refills it, 'but barely a mouthful for me.'

[Quick as a flash, while he is still raising the horn to his lips, the faltyn magically connects the mead in the horn with the level of the River Acheron outside.] Angvar looks surprised as he begins to drink . . . and goes on drinking . . . and on, till the muscles of his neck stand out like knotted ropes. At last he sets the horn aside with a gasp. He has also drained three-quarters of the horn. 'Never have I tasted such an insipid draught of mead!' he says.

['That's because it is water,' the faltyn sniggers in your ear. 'However, the river level fell by seven inches! No mortal could ever fairly best him at a sconce, that much is sure.']

' - you hear my words?' Angvar is saying, breaking in on your reverie. 'So much for drinking. Now we wrestle.'

[Again the faltyn works its magic, this time Unking your own weight to that of a distant mountain.] Angvar seizes you under the arms in a vice-like grip, then strains with all his might to throw you. At first you remain rooted to the spot but then [impossibly - !] you are raised an inch off the floor and [as the faltyn's magic is broken] sent sprawling.

['He uprooted the mountain!' gasps the faltyn, but you are too dazed by the force with which you were thrown to pay any attention to it. Sensing that the contest is now over, you dismiss your invisible second.]
You stagger painfully to your feet. There is a din in your ears. As you recover your wits you realise it is the hall-heroes slapping their hands down on the stout oak tables. They are applauding your courage.

'The battle is over,' says Angvar. 'I salute you for facing me so boldly. Take a mead-horn now and be seated. Rest your bruised limbs.'
Like I said, mildly amusing, but hardly worth the cost. Even with that apparently heroic effort, Angvar doesn't give out any reward like he does to the Warrior.

Regarding the Seer, we may summon at the Shrine of Summoning, his name is Tiresias (there's also a trick/anti-cheat option of choosing Cassandra, who comes in a rambles a bunch of apparent nonsense - or at least, which our party will automatically dismiss as nonsense and therefore will not listen to any of it).

Here's what Tiresias has to tell us:
The dome reverberates to the sound of the horn and the gloom outside deepens still further until you are immersed in utter blackness. Out of the dark comes a glimmer of light which you see is a golden rod, clenched in the hand of a skeletally thin old man. He steps towards you and raises the rod so that his face is clearly illuminated in its glow.

'Tiresias am I,' he says in a voice like the crunching of snowflakes in winter. 'A king at one time, and a seer. Now I am among the dead. I know many things: your twofold purpose in coming to the Asphodel Plains, to recover a sword and find a woman. I know that you intend to return to the upper world, and I know - as you may not - that to do this you must face Aidoneos himself, whom you call Azrael, or Death.'

'What route should we take to find him?' you ask.

Tiresias smiles a candle-pale smile. 'Go to the bridge across the River Lethe, after first taking water from the pool beside this shrine. Collect water from the river also, but do not drink either until you have passed through the metal wood and come to a vast desolate plain. Then you should drink the Lethean water, and after crossing the plain you should drink the other.

'If you have the proper coin to pay the ferryman, you will next be able to go over the River Styx. On the far bank is a tower on whose roof is a talisman that could be of great value to you, but it is guarded by Sthenno, a Gorgon, and if you do not have a polished surface in which to reflect her gaze then it is better to avoid her altogether. Near her tower is a hill inhabited by two strange creatures who together guard a cache of ancient weapons. Whether or not you set your sights on their treasure is up to you.

'Travelling up the Styx you will pass through another wood - a place of darkness and cobwebs where you must not stray from the path - before finally reaching the Screaming Mountains. Here you must face Lei Kung, or Hraghal as we called him in ancient times, the lightning-spitter. If you can pass him, make your way up the cliffs and through the caverns of Tartarus, where the old gods sent souls for punishment. The thousand-eyed, thousand-named one stands on a plain within the ring of mountains, in the very centre of his realm.'

Tiresias covers the glowing rod in his hands so that the hall is plunged into darkness again.

'Wait- ' you say, stepping forward. Your hands pass through thin air.

The stygian darkness pulls back and the gloomy half-light of Sheol trickles back into the dome. The ghost has gone.

'Should have got it from him in writing,' says the Traveller wryly.
This is almost a beginner's guide/walkthrough for first-time players.

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier that the jail sequence (where Tobias arrests the party) is likely to end with the party breaking out and killing him. Here at the shrine you can summon his soul....but there's not much point to it, since he just attacks the party and they'll have to kill him...again.

Another old enemy we can summon is Susurrien (not Psyche, though. There's a side-plot in the last book which reveals that her soul was sold to some demon, and therefore is not in Hell).

His stats are a good indication that Hasan really did do us a favour last book:
Susurrien
Fighting Prowess: 8 Awareness: 9
Psychic Ability: 10 Damage per blow: 4 Dice
Endurance: 80

Roll for his actions each Round (except on the first and, when he is casting an already-prepared Mists of Death spell):

1-2 Strikes with his sword
3-4 Prepares or casts Servile Enthralment
5 Prepares or casts Mists of Death
6 Prepares or casts The Vampire Spell
This guy more difficult than Icon the End Boss in more than one way. Even though his hits do less damage, he can take a lot more, and there's actually a point in giving him spells, because his PA is higher. Not to mention we would have met this guy before we found the ankh.

Again, no point in summoning him other than for the pleasure of stabbing him personally. No rewards for this fight.

Here's what would have happened if we drank the Lethe Water but forgot to pack the antidote.....AND have Screebo with us (which means we must skip the mead hall):
Screebo perches in turn on the shoulder of any players who drank the water of the River Lethe. He croaks into your ears, and you find your memory returning! Restore your Fighting Prowess, Psychic Ability and Awareness scores to normal and delete the word LETHE from your Character Sheet(s).

This done, Screebo flies up into the sky and circles three times before veering back into the illimitable distance across the plain. Remove him from your Character Sheet, as he is gone for good.

If the Sage is here, he or she should turn to 552. If not, turn to 83.
[At last you realise that Screebo was no ordinary bird. He was Muninn, one of the god Odin's two fabulous ravens - the one whose name means Memory. It is indeed fortunate that you acquired him from those sacerdotes in Krarth so many years ago. Occasionally his ill-tempered croaking and voracious appetite annoyed you, but now you bid him a fond farewell:]

'Fly straight and true, good Muninn - back to All-Father Odin, your master.'
So yeah....Screebo basically acts as a back-up antidote to the Lethe water....and he left us because we basically brought him home....or at least to the home of his master's son.

The Gorgon in the Tower, as everyone can probably guess, can be one-shotted by the Mirrored Shield which we did not find (and therefore it's a good thing we skipped the encounter).

Without the shield, the fight can become rather tricky, because it has a 2/3 chance of auto-killing each character every round wit its gaze. The players can avoid that by fighting with their eyes close....which means they can't use missiles or spells on her (bye bye Namesis Bolt), and have to fight rolling 3 dice instead of 2! The blue eye-jewels carried by Pepito could have protected him from the death-gaze.....but only if he (or another player) chose to wear it right before the Gorgon shows up....and it only protects one player.

There's another way to one-shot her, and it's also one of the rare-but-ultra-cool Warrior moments. Sadly, it can only be done if we have the invisible Sword of Loges from Book 1 (given by Magus Balhazar):
Your battle reflexes take over, and you react faster than thought. You throw the sword straight at the Gorgon's throat. She lifts her metal hands instinctively in an attempt to deflect it, but the tactic is useless against an invisible missile. It impales her through the neck and she falls with a gore-choked scream.

'Aa!' gasps the Traveller appreciatively. 'In my land that technique is called "Letting Go of the Hilt" and is only practised by the greatest sword-masters. I had underestimated your skill.'

You shrug. 'Skill... Or luck. Anyone who claims to have perfected such a tactic is either a fool or a liar, but a desperate confrontation demands a desperate response.' You retrieve your sword. 'It worked this time, anyway, and that's what counts.'
Most the Warrior's coolest moments seem to involve her throwing her sword at someone.

Other what the Trickster did in our playthrough, there's another way to get the ankh without having to face the Gorgon: the Sage can levitate up from outside the tower and steal it!

There's another potential trap involving the Gorgon that our Enchanter may go through (the Enchanter doesn't seem to have a lot of luck in this book). If he casts Prediction before entering the tower, he may see the Gorgon's face through it!
[In your vision, a figure appears at the top of the stairs and steps forward, reaching its hands towards your future-self . Light falls across its face -

Its FACE . ...!

You have looked straight into the face of Sthenno, mightiest of the Gorgons. Under normal circumstances her gaze is instant death, but you might be saved by a paradox. If you see her in your vision of the future, the sight should have killed you at once. But if you die now, you could never have entered the tower and hence the Prediction could not have revealed Sthenno's face . . .]

Your acceptance of paradox is proportional to your Psychic Ability. Roll three Dice. If you score higher than your Psychic Ability, then you reject the paradox as impossible: turn to 55. If you score equal to or less than your Psychic Ability, you are able to reconcile the contradictions involved: turn to 318.
It may actually not be a good thing for the Enchanter to pass the roll....even though he survives, he loses 2 PA points permanently! If the party has the item to kill the Gorgon (mirrored shield), the better hing might be for the Enchanter to fail the roll....and get paralysed. After which, the other 3 players can get into the tower and kill the Gorgon...and the Enchanter will be freed!
You return to the base of the tower to find your colleague has been freed from the chronostasis that had trapped him or her. The Enchanter can now rejoin the party.

The Traveller realises what has happened. 'Once the Gorgon was slain, there was no possible future in which she could appear in your Prediction spell. The paradox was negated.'

'You seem to know rather a lot about magic,' says the Enchanter, squinting suspiciously.

'I practised it myself when I was alive. Come, we should not tarry here. The Gorgon has two sisters of equal ugliness . . .'
With the unicorn encounter....that was a definite trap option. Anyone who goes near it gets carried off by the faerie creatures....unless that player is wearing a crucifix. We only have one in the entire party (worn by the Warrior, made with a Saint's fingerbones...what's this fetish with fingerbones these authors have anyway??), so she's was the only one who could have survived that encounter. If we'd me Tobias in the last book, he would have given everyone a crucifix (probably without fingerbones) each.

And...that's about it, I think. Will start Book 5 tomorrow. See you then!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Is there anything we missed with Typhon's Eye?