[Let's Play] Blood Sword IV - Doomwalk

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We might as well.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I don't have a strong opinion, but if we're getting off here, I want some of my money back.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Good point. Wait for now and see if we can get some of our money back.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

'The scarlet rigging has unwholesome connotations,' you say. 'It brings to mind Red Death, the genius form of one of the True Magi.'

'Hah!' snorts Silthor derisively. 'You were happy enough to approach this ship, but now it seems you are too fainthearted to go aboard. And for no better reason than your superstitious fear of the colour red . . .'

If there is a Warrior in the party, turn to 188. If not, you can insist on not boarding the other ship, or you can change your mind and go across.
Not an option here, automatically moving to 188 if the Warrior is here....

WARRIOR:
Silthor has accused you of cowardice in front of the entire ship's company. The honour of your family name demands that such a charge should not go unanswered. Either you must prove him wrong by going aboard the other ship, or else you must challenge him to a duel.
Warrior's option here, only her vote counts......
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yeah, I'm not going to be manipulated McFly style. Challenge it is.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

WARRIOR:
The despicable merchant-captain has a wily look on his face as he listens to your challenge. Then he nods to some of his men standing behind you, and you find yourself caught in the rough grip of many hands. Along with your companions (if any) you are pushed into a small boat which is rapidly lowered into the water.

'Is this the answer you give to a call to battle, Silthor?' you snarl as he appears at the rail. 'Is this the reply of Silthor when his honour is challenged? What respect do you suppose your crew will have for you now, after witnessing your rank cowardice?'

'They respect my money well enough,' replies Silthor, raising gales of merriment from his men. Turning to them with a smile, he indicates for your boat to be cast adrift.

If you row over to the scarlet-sailed ship, turn to 90. If you row away from both ships, turn to 162.
Sadly, no option to throw a Nemesis Bolt at Silthor or his ship before we leave.
And also, perhaps more sadly...if there's no Warrior in the party and we insist on not leaving....Silthor would have offered to return 100 gold to us in exchange for us leaving, like you guys were hoping for! Another rare occasion where having a special character section hurts us instead of help.
Do we go to that other ship now?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Ah darnit. The boat still reminds me of this, but I guess it's our best bet for now. Row towards the boat.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Wow, what a douche.

Go to the scarlet ship.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Choo-choo! Man, this series runs real hot-and-cold with its sense of empowerment.

I'm really tempted to buck the railroad and just row off ourselves, but given how hard we just got shoved, let's get on the caboose. Ship. I mean ship.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Row to the ship. There are so many magi that just about every color is bad news, really.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Starmaker wrote:Row to the ship. There are so many magi that just about every color is bad news, really.
We're supposed to be looking out for just 5 of them (the ones named in the glossary), specifically.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:Choo-choo! Man, this series runs real hot-and-cold with its sense of empowerment.

I'm really tempted to buck the railroad and just row off ourselves, but given how hard we just got shoved, let's get on the caboose. Ship. I mean ship.
Actually, it's possible to stay on the merchant ship if the Warrior weren't around. Going off in the rowboat is also a viable option, although of course it'd have its own hazards.
Bending over the oars, you soon reach the side of the other ship. Strangely, her name is not painted on her bows, nor does she display any emblems or flags proclaiming her port of origin. As you are helped aboard by a haggle of thin-faced sailors, you ask about this.

'We are the Annuvin,' says one with a mournful expression. 'Out of Caersid port in Ereworn, we are now bound solely for a place west of the Sea of Mists. I cannot say more, but we will see you to Entasius's isle.'
Since you had not mentioned your precise destination, the sailor's words turn your sensation of vague unease into one of certain foreboding. You would return to the Golden Lance if that didn't mean losing face. Instead you watch her sail away and then go in search of the Annuvin's captain.

'We have no captain,' explains a man with a large silver ring on his finger. 'But I was - I am the mate, Acherus. Direct your comments to me, then. But hurry, for I see a storm approaching.'

You turn your gaze to the east, following his. Black clouds clot along the horizon. Only minutes ago the sky was as blue as a sapphire, now the furled sails mutter fretfully in the easterly gusts. You shiver and follow him below. The entire ship's company is crowded into the forecastle, and oil lamps are lit and the hatches are battened down against the coming storm.

'How is it you know of Entasius's island?' you ask Acherus, having to raise your voice now that a harsh gale is thundering across the deck above. The ship lurches to and fro. It makes you feel queasy, but the sailors sit in stolid silence.

'Where else is it you'd be going?' replies Acherus. 'Now, with the wind high, would you sing a song and take a drink with us?'

You look around the forecastle. No rats to be seen - very odd aboard an old vessel like this. Your gaze alights on the hatch leading to the hold. It has been barred shut.

If you ask Acherus about what's in the hold, turn to 270. If you'd rather have a drink and sing a sea shanty, turn to 29.
We missed the booze with Silthor last time, let's grab this one before they withdraw the offer!!....

....should we?

Oh, and minor continuity error in the first paragraph....from the section we came from, it's probably not possible to got back to the Golden Lance at any rate, considering they threw us off.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I don't trust this guy's drink. So let's keep sober for now, and hope that Sheol has amazing booze.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

This is a notch above naming a secretly evil wizard "Evil Wizard" except in German, but juuuuust a notch. Don't fraternize with the undead.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

It is not Acherus who answers you, but a gaunt man with an iron hook in place of his right hand. 'In the hold?' he says with a grimace. 'A thing which none of us can face.'

'No!' says Acherus suddenly. 'There's nothing in the hold. It was where ...' His voice trails off on a note of horror and despair.

'A thing none of us can face,' repeats the man with the hook. Will you investigate the hold? If so, turn to 247. If you prefer to join in such revelry as they can muster, turn to 29.
Are we sure we don't want the booze? :(
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I'd rather not face the thing either, but if it's the only way to get out of drinking what's probably poison, investigate.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Hm, the hold presumably holds these dudes' actual bodies, because I assume 'it was where...' is finished by '...we died.' And yeah, let's keep the theme going and face the fear. Even (or especially) if it's someone else's.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Investigate.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Yeah, discover what the hold holds.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The sailors stare aghast as you unbolt the hatch leading to the hold. 'Aie!' cries one. 'Why go unbidden down to that black horror? Stay in the light, with the music - why face that which lies forgotten?'

'Nothing's forgotten,' murmurs the second mate, stroking the hook that he wears in place of his right hand. 'Nothing is ever forgotten.'

The ship pitches in the grip of the storm. As you throw open the hatch there is a crack of muffled thunder from outside. You are staring down into utter blackness.

Does your heart quail now? You could still turn away - fasten the hatch and go back to a mug of gin.

If you want to do that turn to 433. If you are determined to descend turn to 440.
Are we sure we are sure?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

After all of these warnings it has to be good. Especially since accepting drinks from suspicious people that insist on it is certainly going to be bad.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Motherfucker, the things I've seen. You don't even know. Kiki don't shiv.

We are literally walking down into the underworld on this adventure, I don't think walking down into some boat can compare.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

No, my heart doesn't quail. It doesn't pheasant or partridge either. Descend.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

WHAT DO YOU GUYS HAVE AGAINST FREE BOOZE?!
You descend the steps into the darkened hold. Your feet catch on something, and you light a taper to see what it is. Bones. Dozens of mouldered skeletons lie in the bilge. One wears a large silver ring, and another has no hand but only a rusty iron hook.

You return to the forecastle, now deserted and silent as a tomb. There is no sign that the sailors of the Annuvin were ever here. You wait for hours until the storm abates, then emerge with chattering teeth onto the deck. It is sunset.
TBH, after all that hype I feel.....underwhelmed.
Under the touch of the dying daylight, the Annuvin no longer looks like a proud vessel capable of taking you to the Sea of Mists. Her timbers are rotted and warped, her rigging mouldered, her blood-soaked sails in tatters. Silthor's first guess was right. She is a ghost ship.

Then you see another vessel appearing out of the north. A sleek longship with her prow carved into the form of a voluptuous mermaid. Her sails are white but bear a solid black glyph which you recognise as the Angate character EN. Along her bows, the sunlight glistens redly on shields of beaten gold.

Astonishingly, the figurehead speaks to you: 'Entasius has become aware that you seek his island. Come aboard and be conveyed there.'

If you do as the figurehead says, turn to 392. If not, turn to 39.
How convenient that those strange ships keep popping up out of nowhere and heading for the exact place we want to go!

Which do we think is cooler? Ghost ship or Talking ship?
Last edited by SGamerz on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

An attractive lady offering us a lift? I'm on board with that.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Knightboat Talking boat all the way. Somehow I doubt the figurehead will try to slip us a roofie.