[Let's Play] Blood Sword IV - Doomwalk

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Benedict and Pepito tell the boatman that they're thirsty and need to take a drink before they answer:

PLAYER DRINKING:
Make sure first that you know the number of the last entry you were reading. Then read on:

If you have the codeword LETHE then the water of remembrance cancels the water of forgetfulness. You can restore your Fighting Prowess, Awareness and Psychic Ability scores to normal and return to the previous entry.

If you do not have the codeword LETHE then you are in big trouble. A torrent of memories pours through your mind; all of them are unpleasant, and you will be lucky if you can withstand them. Roll a Die:

1 - You weather the onslaught of memories until they fade. You are unharmed.
2 - You die of shock.
3 - Your tortured mind survives, but not unscathed: reduce your Awareness score by 2.
4-6 - You are driven mad. You can continue to adventure, but in any fight encounter you must roll a Die: on a 1 you attack your comrades (if any), on a 2 you do nothing until the fight is over, and on a 3-6 you can act normally. Note this on your Character Sheet.

Now return to the entry you were reading before.
Now we can give Charon our answer:
After a moment of silence, Charon replies: 'The fee is one obol per passenger.'

Obols are antique copper coins. If you have enough of them to pay for each player to cross, turn to 469. If you don't have any obols but the Trickster is here, he or she should turn to 244. Otherwise you must remain on this side of the river - turn to 21.
No option required here....

TRICKSTER:
You leap from the river bank to land in Charon's boat. It rocks wildly and as you catch hold of the ferryman in feigned alarm, your nimble fingers reach around to his belt pouch and extract a few coins.

Charon does not notice the theft. He glares at you, and when he speaks his voice is sharp with outrage. 'What impudence!' he says. 'I had not even invited you to get into the boat. Get back on the bank.'

You bow, apparently chastised, and climb out of the boat. A glance at the coins in your hand tells you that they are indeed obols. It was a safe bet, after all, that if Charon regularly charges a ferry fee he would have a few such coins on his person.

Turning back to him, you say: 'Apologies, honoured boatman. Will you convey us across the river? Here is the fee you demand ...'
Who says that crime doesn't pay? It certainly pays our boat fees.
Charon's white hand darts from the folds of his cloak and snatches the coins from you. There is no need to pay for the Traveller, as he has an obol for himself (and also one for Cordelia, if she is with the party).

You get down into the boat. 'Do not touch the water!' says the Traveller. 'It will turn your flesh lifeless and white, like our ferryman's.'

Charon chuckles at this and points to the far bank. The boat swings around and begins to drift across, propelled by no more than the ferryman's whim. 'Thetis's son was bathed in the Styx,' he murmurs. 'He suffered no ill effects. Quite the reverse.'

The Traveller glares at him. 'Devilish boatman!' he cries. 'Do you think we're so easily tricked? This is called the River of Hate, after all, and it takes only a pinch of common sense to see that such a description would not have been applied if it had beneficial properties.'

If you want to dip a hand into the water, decide who's doing this and turn to 335. If you take the Traveller's advice, turn to 63.
Whom do we believe here?

This is another individual option. Any player who wants to try the water can do it irregardless of what the majority thinks.

Also, the Warrior's the only one still under the Lethe influence now.....
Last edited by SGamerz on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I'll stay forgetful at least until right before a fight. Who knows if it will come up again, and Psychic is a weak point for me.

Thetis was a water goddess, so presumably her son (Akhilles) had some affinity for magic water. And even he would have died if he touched the water a second time. No touchy.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Thetis's son was a demigod. I don't trust the Traveller one bit, but if the Styx was okay to swim in, Charon would be out of work (which is presumably why he stopped working on the Acheron).
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Take the Traveler's advice in this instance. Charon can go fuck off.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Tempting, but Charon's probably just being a dick. Ignore the water.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'll stay forgetful at least until right before a fight. Who knows if it will come up again, and Psychic is a weak point for me.
The problem with that is you'll only be able to do that if you choose to attack someone. If you get attacked without prompting, then there's no time to drink before the fight starts. And it says specifically that it can't be drank during combat, so you can't spend the first turn drinking, either.
You reach the far bank and get out of the boat. When you turn to thank Charon he has already gone. There are not even any ripples in the black water to show that he and his boat were ever there.

'Sheol becomes ever more chimeric in its hinterlands,' remarks the Traveller. 'Where now? Shall we go to the hillock where you thought you saw signs of "life" - or to the high tower where the green lamp shines? Or shall we now head for our rendezvous with Death without further delay?'

If you wish to go towards the hill, turn to 466. If you want to investigate the tower, turn to 475. If you head upstream, turn to 515.
Which landmark do we explore next?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

The tower, but wait on Kiki to maybe drink as she's first in the marching order.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Tower.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Well, Kiki voted but didn't choose to drink yet....
You approach the tower with a sense of foreboding, certain that a hideous danger must await you there.

The Traveller stops you before you can push open the door. The green light trickles down from the upper window, giving his face an unearthly look. 'Do you not feel that sensation, like the grip of icy fingers around your heart?' he breathes. 'This tower is the home of something unspeakable! Let us go at once.'

If you agree with him, you can either return to the Styx and follow its course towards the mountains; or investigate the hillock nearby if you haven't already been there. If you are adamant about going into the tower, turn to 323.
We took his advice about the Styx Water.....do we take it now?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Let's try the hillock, since we now know it won't kill us.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Agreed.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Won't kill us for certain. But agreed.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Forewarned that something inhabits the hill, you make use of the cover afforded by some thorn bushes to approach the summit unnoticed. Two odd creatures wait there beside an enormous treasure chest. One is a giant bat with crimson antlers sprouting from its head. The other is a dog the size of a warhorse, with white fur and a long beard flowing from its chin.

If you want to step out from behind the bush and announce your presence, turn to 146. If you want to spy on them for a time, turn to 16. If you haven't already been to the tower and want to go there now, turn to 475. If you decide to return to the river and make your way upstream, turn to 515.

Do we want to do anything with the cute animals?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Those are weird creatures that don't seem like they'd get along if they were wild, so I guess they're either trained or intelligent. Ordinarily, I'd say spy them out, see if they exhibit verbality or if announcing ourselves is just provoking them; but the way the options are worded seems like watching them has nasty connotations.

Announce. They can probably talk anyway.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Chat them up.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Talk.
(It bothers me that I don't know what myth these two are from.)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

That Bat looks cute! Maybe we can pet it and have it take Screebo's perch on Benedict's shoulder!
The Bearded Dog jumps up with such a start on seeing you that it almost falls over backwards.

The Horned Bat, on the other hand, remains unperturbed. 'Wayfarers!' it calls in greeting. 'Come closer. We never move from this hill where we live, so if you can tell us news of the wider world then it will be much appreciated ...'

'Am I alone in finding these creatures deeply suspicious?' whispers the Traveller to you.

'Not at all,' you reply behind your hand as you approach them. 'But you see the size of the treasure chest, don't you? Just be on your guard.'

If you are a lone player (with no other companions except the Traveller and, possibly, Cordelia), turn to 135. If there are at least two players in the party, turn to 192.
Now, how did the authors know we're thinking of looting their stuff?.....
'Well, well, well,' says the Horned Bat. 'Not many mortals come past here.' He flitters nervously around the treasure chest.

'And why should they?' adds the Bearded Dog, trying to adopt a casual tone. 'There is little here to see except us and our ... box.'

They both look at one another for a startled instant, then look straight back at you. The Dog grins weakly. Anxious to see if you noticed the reference to the treasure chest, they both begin speaking at once. The Bat puts one wing across the Dog's mouth and blurts out: 'My friend was referring to our old ... erm, fuel chest. It certainly looks very grand, doesn't it? You'd hardly believe it only contains peat for our fire, would you?'

'No indeed,' says the Traveller softly. 'It almost looks like - dare I say it - a treasure chest.'

'Ha ha ha ha,' barks the Bearded Dog. 'Treasure? Why, what an outlandish thought! Ha ha ha.'

If you ask them about the tower nearby, turn to 134. If you ask to see inside the treasure chest, turn to 531. If the Trickster is here and does not have the codeword FOSSIL, he or she can try something by turning to 177. If you ask them the way to Azrael, turn to 106. If you take your leave of them, turn to 140.
Does the Trickster want to try "something"? If not, what do we ask them?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I want to try something, yes.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Here goes something!

TRICKSTER:
'What I was wondering,' you say to them, 'was why the treasure on the other hill is just lying there unguarded ...'

'Eh?' says the Bat. 'What's that? Which hill?'

'Where?' says the Dog.

You point across the river. 'A hill right over there beyond the trees, on the other side of the river. There's a pile of jewels and gold in a hole, waiting to be taken.' You smile as you see them exchange a greedy look. 'Why don't you go over and check it out?'

'Yes, why don't we?' says the Dog, getting up off his haunches.

'Don't let's be too hasty,' the Bat whispers into his friend's ear. 'We don't want to go gallivanting off and leave these strangers here with our chest.' They both look hard at you and seem to grin. 'I'll fly over and investigate,' he says.

You watch until he disappears into the darkness beyond the trees. Poking at the ground idly with a stick, you wait a while and then say to the Dog: 'Your friend's taking a long time, isn't he? Perhaps he found the other treasure was so good that he's decided to keep it for himself?'

The Dog sniffs haughtily. 'You don't know what you're saying! The Bat is my trusted friend. He would as soon fall in the river and drown as double-cross me.'

'Still, taking a long time, isn't he ...?'

'It's a long way to go,' protests the Dog.

'Flying?' You give a cynical bark of laughter. 'But maybe you're right ...'

He paces to and fro for several minutes. 'I have come to a decision,' he announces at last.

'Oh yes?' You scratch your nose disinterestedly.

'I'm going to see what's happened to my friend. But I'm not going to leave our chest here - even though it does only contain peat for our fire. Help me get it up onto my back.'

You help him with the chest until it is balanced squarely on his shoulders. 'Heavy for just peat, isn't it?' you remark.

'Peat's all it is,' snaps the Dog. He makes his way down the hillside and is finally lost to view among the thorn thickets.
Hey, maybe the Bat found more fascinating peat!

TRICKSTER:
The Bat returns shortly. 'You were mistaken: there's nothing there,' it says sourly, exhausted by the flight. 'Eh? What? Where is my friend the Dog?'

'Where indeed?' you answer wryly. 'After you left he made some remarks to the effect that he had shared the treasure with you for too long, and he would now take advantage of your absence to make off with the lot.'

The Bat gasps. 'My trusted friend? It hardly seems within the bounds of credibility!'

'The trust and friendship were only felt on your part, it seems.'

He sheds a few tears, then looks at you with angry eyes. 'Where has the miscreant gone? Tell me - he'll not get away with this. For centuries I have tolerated his dull wits and unrefined conversation. I will not tolerate this betrayal!'

You buff your fingernails on your sleeve. 'Well, it isn't really up to me to get involved, but I do think you've been treated rather shabbily. The Dog muttered something about hiding in that tower over there.'

'Hah!' cries the Bat. He shakes his wings and launches himself into the air. 'I'll fly in the top way and surprise him.'

A few minutes pass. The Dog returns, huffing and puffing, with the treasure chest still on his back. 'Forgot I couldn't swin the river with this load,' he says. 'You'll have to go and find out what's happened to the Bat while I wait here.'

'I will not have to travel any distance to tell you what has happened to him, but I'm afraid the news will cause you grief.'

'What is it? Has an accident befallen my friend? Did robbers come and attack him?'

'Neither. However, by his own admission and action he is no longer your friend. He came back with some truly fabulous jewels from the other hill. He seemed rather self-satisfied, and he uttered some uncomplimentary comments about you. His precise words may have been: "This is a real find and I'm damned if I'm going to share it with that cretinous hound. I'm going to fly to yonder tower and hide it where he can't get his greedy paws on it." I know this comes as a cruel blow to you, but it is time you saw your so-called friend for what he is ...'

'A blackguard!' cries the Dog. 'A louse-ridden cheat! A rat with wings! All these years I've put up with his effete manners and his superior airs and graces! Now there'll be a reckoning.'

He sets off in the direction of the tower. You follow at a discreet distance. As you approach, the Horned Bat pokes his head over the parapet and flies down. You notice that he has a gleaming gold amulet clutched in his talons.

'Traitor!' snarls the Dog.

'Fiend!' shrieks the Bat.

They fall on one another in a rage and tumble over and over down the slope. After a few moments of furious fighting, the Dog manages to close his jaws on his opponent's throat. But the Bat's claws are poised to strike, and he eviscerates the Dog as he dies.

When you are sure they're both dead, you go over to see what they had.
Let's check out the loot peat! Maybe the Sage can study them and write a book on them!
The gold amulet that the Bat presumably found in the tower is an ankh: a T-shaped cross with a circle at the top, commonly worn in Kaikuhuran times. If any player wishes to put this on - either now or later - you should make a note of the entry you're reading at the time and then turn to 25. (If you aren't going to see what it does right now, note 'gold ankh-cross; see 25 for effects' on your Character Sheet.)

Their treasure chest has fallen open and you now discover that it contains a cache of enchanted items:

A suit of magical silver plate with an Armour Rating of 5; an Enchanter could wear this and still cast spells.

Two suits of magical chainmail, each with an Armour Rating of 4.

A suit of magical studded leather with an Armour Rating of 3; this will not impede an Enchanter's spellcasting.

Two magical axes; these give no bonus to Fighting Prowess, but they score an additional one Die of damage when they hit.

A magic bow; arrows shot from this inflict 1 Die+4 damage.

There are also five thousand gold coins. 'Ah, we are rich,' remarks the Traveller ironically as he sees you looking at these. Once you have taken your pick of the hoard, he says: 'Too much time has been wasted already. Now we must hurry.'
Most. Awesome. Peat. Ever.

The Warrior and Enchanter still have their money pouches, so I see no reason not to fill them up to the full again.

You guys can work out how to share the rest of the "peat" before we move on. Note that the Enchanter can't use the chainmail without impeding his spellcasting. Also, let me know if any of you volunteers to try out the ankh.

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 11
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 6
Endurance: 20/20
Damage: 1 Die +4 (+3 from Enchanted Sword)

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Enchanted Sword (+3 Damage)
2 Enchanted Chainmail armour (Armour Rating five)
3 Money pouch (100 gold)
4 Silver crucifix (with finger-bone of St Ashanax)
5 Iron Bell
6 Bedroll
7 Shielding Charm (+1 AR)
8 Dog-faced Creature's Spear
9 Ointment of Healing (10 Applications, +2D6 END each)
10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 8 (+1 from Enchanted Sword)
Psychic Ability: 7
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 31/31
Damage: 2 Dice

Items:
1 Enchanted Sword (+1 FP)
2 Studded Leather Armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Golden Snuffbox
4 Dervish's scroll
5 Water from River Lethe
6 Bow
7 Harp
8 Quiver (6 arrows)
9 Fur Cloak
10 Gilt-edged scroll
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 26/26
Damage: 2 Dice

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
2 Ringmail Armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Seafaring Charts from Hunguk's ship
4 Bottle of water from the Pool of Remembrance
5 Magic Bow (Damage 1 Die+1)
6 Quiver (2 arrows)
7 Skull Amulet
8 Blue Crystal Eyes
9 Typhon's Crystal Eye
10 Silver key to Fatima's garden
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 15 (+1 from Ring of Sorcery)
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 26/26
Damage: 1 Die +2

Items:
1 Brazier
2 Silver armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Bedroll
4 Magical Bread Crust of Infinity
5 Fur Cloak
6 Money pouch (100 gold pieces)
7 Ring of Sorcery (+1 PA)
8 Iron rations (7 days)
9 Amber Tinderbox
10 Empty slot
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Awww, the Traveller must be so happy to see us gearing up!

I'll take:
- AR 4 chainmail (dropping my regular armor and assuming Reed takes the silver plate)
- magic bow (dropping my regular bow, I also don't mind taking Pepito's and offloading 4 of the arrows on him)
- magical axe (dropping the dervish's scroll)
- ankh (dropping Lethe water)
Last edited by Starmaker on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Starmaker wrote: - ankh (dropping Lethe water)
Wearing it now or just carrying it?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

SGamerz wrote:
Starmaker wrote: - ankh (dropping Lethe water)
Wearing it now or just carrying it?
Here goes my "make an oblique statement, then claim to be misunderstood if it kills me" plan. Wearing it now, because it just might be our return ticket.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Starmaker wrote:
- magic bow (dropping my regular bow, I also don't mind taking Pepito's and offloading 4 of the arrows on him)

I was going to suggest exactly that since you're much better in melee than I am.
I'll take the other set of chainmail. If Kiki wants the magic axe I'll take her magic sword; otherwise I'll take the other axe. Shirtai, angel, either of you mind carrying the memory water? Otherwise I suppose Pepito will drop the crystal eyes (the charts of an undead pirate might prove useful in the land of the dead so I'm not getting rid of those yet).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The axe is slightly better than my djinn blade, but I prefer a more elegant weapon. I'll take the memory water, as I'm the last person in need of it.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'll take the second axe then.