McGregor vs Mendes: rigged/fixed fight ?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

McGregor vs Mendes: rigged/fixed fight ?

Post by silva »

I was never an adept of conspiracy theories and rigged results on any sports, but this last night fight between Conor McGregor and Chad Mendes was too weird to be taken seriously. It it was a movie, it would be a pretty inverossimile one, those said to disrespect the spectator intelligence.

Chad Mendes had McGregor in comfortable positions being him to cause.much more injury but he didn't. Mendes is acknowledge as one of the roughest necks in the league (aka the guy absorb punches like he was made of steel) but in this fight he was feeling punches heavily. And last, and perhaps more importantly: do you want me to believe that Mendes would abandon such a confortable and superior ground position like that to try an awkward guillotine, AND get up totally open lime that ready to receive straight punches to the face ? Man. I didn't believe in these things until.now. But this fight made me change my beliefs in the sport.

Thoughts ?
Last edited by silva on Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

I missed the fight live and just got a chance to watch it now. What fix? Mendes spent almost all the time they were standing hanging out in McGregor's reach and eating body kicks. His take downs were good, but they always landed him in guard and McGregor was good about breaking down Mendes' posture so he couldn't get many hard elbows off.

The reasons he went for the guillotine are pretty obvious. First, he thought he could do it. Second, and most important, he was gassed and knew what would happen when they were standing again in the next round. Look how sluggish he was moving after the scramble, all the snap kicks to the body to his wind and the McGregor's elbows didn't do him any favors either.

Mendes may be known for his chin but McGregor has knocked a lot of people out. Blocking with your face is not a good strategy.

That said, any one of Mendes' elbows could have ruined McGregor's day. If I didn't already know how it ended I would have been pretty excited. Good fight!
Miniature Colossus
Apprentice

Re: McGregor vs Mendes: rigged/fixed fight ?

Post by Miniature Colossus »

silva wrote:And last, and perhaps more importantly: do you want me to believe that Mendes would abandon such a confortable and superior ground position like that to try an awkward guillotine, AND get up totally open lime that ready to receive straight punches to the face ? Man. I didn't believe in these things until.now. But this fight made me change my beliefs in the sport.

Thoughts ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyWEJCg1BWQ

Rener Gracie goes through a pretty detailed analysis of the "awkward guillotine".

Everyone except Silva is in agreement here, McGregor beat Mendes fair and square.