Where does the phrase 'shriek raped apes' comes from

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Where does the phrase 'shriek raped apes' comes from

Post by OgreBattle »

sigh I really dislike it when fanboys shriek like raped apes the way this guy is doing.
if you do shit like uncommon/common/rare then people will scream like raped apes that people are able to buy extra power. Then the munchkins, the only people who'll like this scheme, will also scream like raped apes when DMs ban the more powerful cards from their games.
Another ripe target really is curbing military spending. Which is just not possible without nationalizing the defense industry and/or reducing the size and scope of the military. This is probably not very feasible though because people will scream like raped apes at the first administration that actually goes through with this. I suppose that the 'best' way to handle this is to do this after the second midterms in a two-term Presidency when the successor looks all but assured.
The problem comes when people aren't willing to put in the effort die like the gimps they are and have the audacity to blame the people who are component for their failure. Of course given how much DMs coddle players most people only realize they are gimps after years of playing and then they start screaming like raped apes about "dirty powergamers".
I'm dead serious. Since 4E started, there has been no good 4E change that wasn't been kicked around the errata boards for some time. And oftentimes they just flat-out ignore it; were you around for the Barbarian Playtest? People complained about shit like Hurricane of Blades months in advance and not only did they publish it nearly as-is but actually change the wording--so they actually looked at the power at least twice and thought it was okay despite the open playtest. Even though it's by far the most damaging single-target power in the game. It took some time after the PHB2 was released for them to fix it, meanwhile the Errata boards were screaming like raped apes all the while.
For example: the tournament community's obsession with wavedashing. I wouldn't mind them having a mechanic that's like wavedashing for future games, but Super Smash Bros.'s biggest selling point is that you can figure out 95% of what your character is supposed to do or can do after 10 minutes of playing. Wavedashing is a very advanced technique that takes hours of practice just to start being able to do and days to start being able to apply usefully; it's no surprise that Brawl took that out. Yet Melee holdovers scream like raped apes about it and it makes them look bad.

I see it a lot on TGD
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Most of those usages are mine.

And for the record, I picked it up from my division. That phrase got used a lot when discussing superiors flipping out over operationally minor but politically damaging inconveniences or deviations. The G-rated version of that term was 'flail' as in 'if everyone down to the most experienced sailor doesn't do their five hours of training a week then the chain of command is going to flail/shriek like raped apes'.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

because ape rhymes with rape and apes are known for shrieking i guess.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, I was gonna say, my grandfather used to say that whenever my grandmother wasn't around to hear him and he was a paratrooper and drill sergeant.
bears fall, everyone dies
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Just like all analogies that involve the word ape, I assume it is rooted in incredibly horrific racism.

In unrelated news, growing up in Texas didn't scar me at all.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed May 13, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I always assumed it was simply because it's an obvious rhyme. And (for me, at least) hilarious imagery.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Online Dictionary.

I've also seen it used to mean "fast," "angry," and "surprised." But honestly, I think it's just rhyming rudeness used to signify intensity. Like adding "fucking" to a sentence.

-Username17
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

rpg.net used to greet new members with a picture of "the rape ape".
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.