What archetypes does 5E not represent well?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Grek wrote:Yeah, that's why I haven't posted a new version of the ninja build. Because all of the arguments in this thread are either A] dishonest falsequoting, or B] "BOUNDED ACCURACY MAKES MY BUTT HURT"
Bounded Accuracy is a really bad match for the types of stories D&D has been expected to tell in prior editions.

However, "Ninja" is a concept that it does not ruin. If a moderately large force of minimally trained soldiers is a potential threat to anyone, as will happen with bounded accuracy then there are basically only two viable life strategies for elite adventure types. You get to be a true baddass because you command a large enough force. Or you get to be a true baddass because you can sneak past such forces, ambush their commanders and then sneak back out.

So while I have next to zero actual rules knowledge of 5e, it really seems that the General / Necromancer / Minion Lord and the Ninja / Assassin / Stealth Rogue are the two best fit concepts for a bounded accuracy system with a flat RNG and everything else is at best second-tier.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Thu May 14, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Isn't it sort of a problem if you're trying to sneak past an army and your stealth isn't allowed to be off the RNG relative to their perception? Wouldn't the hundred archers notice you as much as they'd shoot your buff fighter buddy?

(note that I have no experience with 5e other than a brief skim and discussion here)
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

fearsomepirate wrote:3.5 heroes can buy any weapon they want, so they can just buy whatever magic-infused weapon they need to hit the baddie. Might as well just give it immunity. Literally the only function of DR at that point is to say, "Commoners can't hit it."
There are lots and lots of monsters in the game other than commoners and heroes.
In one of my games, the PCs unleashed a purple worm on my enemies. If those creatures were immune to non-magical damage, that would have been literally pointless.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

Going back to the original question of the thread, I disagree with Frank on the actual point in contention - D&D 5e does an poor job of supporting "Necromancer with Skeleton Archers", and "Witch with a Sloth of Bug Bear Crossbowmen". Not because these builds aren't effective, because they are, but because they have no support, interesting options, or much interesting to contribute to their own minions in combat.

I order my minions to form a shield wall! Concentrate fire on the beholder, my minions! I cast "mass bear channel" and give my bug bears some temporary hit points and negative energy defense. <- None of that happens in 5E.

WH40K guardsmen were not "well supported" just by virtue of costing 5 points. They were *good*, they would splatter their points value in almost anything, but they were well supported because of all the chapter banners and ogryns and hellhound tanks that you might or might not want and you could make an interesting decision on that basis. If the pareto-dominant answer is to spend 1000 points on 200 guardsmen with lasguns, that is not "well supported".

D&D 5e is a lousy game, but it does a relatively good job of supporting evokers/controllers of various kinds (you get to decide which damage dealing spells or save-or-dies to cast when and where, it makes a difference what you do and you have a reasonable number of competitive options), and a few builds (actually still spell-casters) who are some kind of closet troll that tries to kill the necromancer in order to knock out his minions. The dominance of mobs-of-dudes has the emergent effect of supporting controller and assassin builds, which may still have residual viability due to the aspects of 3rd ed. that they forgot to fuck up or implicitly grandfathered in due to a failure to proofread their own product.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
erik
King

Post by erik »

I should note that 3e did have a similar problem to 5e's bounded accuracy at very low levels that manifested as housecats killing commoners. So 3e didn't solve it perfectly since it lacked granularity at the lowest levels of threat.
So in 5e and 3e commoner dog catcher was not a viable concept.

5e is just that taken to crazy town and back with kittens killing the Tarrasque.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

ishy wrote:If those creatures were immune to non-magical damage, that would have been literally pointless.
AD&D had a different set of workarounds for that problem, namely that every 4 HD of a monster allowed it to bypass +1 worth of immunity.

So your dude that needed +4 to be hit could always be hit by things with 16+ HD. Only I think it might have stopped at +3, and I can't find the rule now. But whatever.

3.0 just changed it so the typical damage of a 4HD monster could punch through the typical +1 resistance, and so on, without needing special case exceptions (and then gave Monks and various monsters special case exceptions anyway), and 3.5 changed it again so it was even easier to blast through, but harder to get the exceptions. Which sucked, so the splats gave you lots of ways to get exceptions again.

Bla bla bla.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

RelentlessImp wrote:So, to answer the thread question, the archetypes D&D 5E doesn't do well are those that aren't minionmancers and people that don't die to the local militia of Podunk, Fantasyland.
Actually, that doesn't answer my question from the OP, because I explicitly ruled that out for being too obvious:
RobbyPants wrote: That being said, what types of archetypes that you might expect to want to play in D&D are not represented well by the 5E rules? I'm not using the minion-masters mentioned above as my balance point, but what types of characters cannot even stand up to level-appropriate foes?
Really, what I'm looking for is archetypes we might expect to be represented in a D&D game that can't pull their weight against level-appropriate foes under the rule set. I'm not looking for what archetypes can't keep up with minionmancers.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The math is pretty shit. Also, monster stats are all over the place. Also, while it is mysteriously design intent for Orcs to always be a threat forever, final destination, the designers are basically math illiterates and are wildly off base in how many Orcs it actually takes to curb stomp the fuck out of a high level character.

Basically, if you aren't some flavor of minionmaster, you can't fight level appropriate foes. Look at how hard Grek failed when he tried to make "a sneaky guy who kills people with big attacks from the shadows." You'd think that would be a pretty decent character type in a game where dudes with knives are always a threat - I mean it certain is in Shadowrun. But holy crap, that fucking guy had a +2 to hit.

-Username17
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

You've still not responded to my previous post, so here's a derisive picture of a cowboy instead:
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

FrankTrollman wrote: Basically, if you aren't some flavor of minionmaster, you can't fight level appropriate foes. Look at how hard Grek failed when he tried to make "a sneaky guy who kills people with big attacks from the shadows." You'd think that would be a pretty decent character type in a game where dudes with knives are always a threat - I mean it certain is in Shadowrun. But holy crap, that fucking guy had a +2 to hit.
When you say "level appropriate foes", are you talking about single monsters or just hordes of minions? Do you have to have a minionmancer to take on a pit fiend at level 20 (or whatever level you fight those)?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Grek, you don't actually get to pull the "You didn't respond to my last post" game, because you already failed your challenge. While I did in fact derisively point out that your claim to be able to make a functional Ninja at tenth level was kind of shit considering how late in the game that comes, that's not even important. As Dean and DSM pointed out: your proposed character doesn't work and is totally ass.

You failed to make a character who fills a niche you chose at a level you chose. So you throwing down the gauntlet for me to give you another challenge is just you posturing emptily. Go fuck yourself. We don't even pretend to take you seriously in your claims to handle any character type at any level until you can successfully not fuck it up making a specific character of a type and level of your choosing.

You fucking failed. The rest of this thread noted your failure and moved on. It is simply an anecdote of accepted historical fact that you fucking failed to make your point. The fact that you're whining about how other people didn't engage with you enough or something is just you flailing. This is you being Magikarp. It's embarrassing. I am embarrassed for you. Your chance to be part of this conversation in a way that wasn't being a laughingstock and a jackass was like three pages ago. You blew that chance. Hard.

-Username17
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Well, the character bare minimum succeeds as a horse archer. Shooting a longbow is one of (if not the) longest range attacks in the game, and with the sharpshooter feat you don't even get disadvantage for shooting out to maximum range. Rogue 2 means you can use your bonus action to dash. Monk 2 means your speed increases by 10ft. So you can move 80ft each round and still attack anyone within 600ft for as much damage as you could. So given room to use it you have an I-win button against probably >80-90% MM, which either cannot counter at all or can counter by taking shots at you with disadvantage. Because the MM is terrible, terrible ass.

Now, Grek was wrong about how assassinate works, and also really wasn't paying any fucking attention to the monster entries he was using for his SGT, so his suggestions and benchmarks are all probably useless ass. But the sniper he made when he said he was going to make a ninja does turn out to be a decent horse archer. Sans the horse, that is. I guess you'd call that a... skirmisher?
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue May 19, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RobbyPants wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: Basically, if you aren't some flavor of minionmaster, you can't fight level appropriate foes. Look at how hard Grek failed when he tried to make "a sneaky guy who kills people with big attacks from the shadows." You'd think that would be a pretty decent character type in a game where dudes with knives are always a threat - I mean it certain is in Shadowrun. But holy crap, that fucking guy had a +2 to hit.
When you say "level appropriate foes", are you talking about single monsters or just hordes of minions? Do you have to have a minionmancer to take on a pit fiend at level 20 (or whatever level you fight those)?
Monsters get a lot more hit points than you do. An 11th level Horned Devil has 17 hit dice and a maximized Con bonus. If you "fight fair" you will lose. And you will lose pretty hard. The means of fighting "not fair" are:
  • Bring a bunch of friends. Since every Tom, Dick, and Harry has a reasonable chance of hitting and can do meaningful damage on a hit against monsters of any level, a Warlord can curb stomp monsters of their level or monsters way above their level with trivial ease.
  • Use a bow, run around a lot. Even monsters that have ranged attacks have incredibly short ranges on those attacks. And few monsters can move terribly fast. The aforementioned Horned Devil can throw flames out to 150 feet and can fly around at 60 feet a turn. You can kite his ass at first level if you happen to have a bow and a horse. And he's a flying ranged attack monster!
  • Be a Cleric or Paladin, get all the defensive equipment and cast protective magic on yourself. Magic heavy armor and shield with a ring of protection and Shield of Faith and shit can get your AC to 30 or higher by 10th level. Even the high end solos like Pit Fiends only have a +14 to-hit. Level appropriate enemies like the Horned Devil only have a +10 to-hit and you can put them at disadvantage and they only hit one time in 400 attacks (good thing they attack twice a round, but you can also heal yourself every few rounds because LOL).
The problems with the defensive character are two. The first is that it isn't really a "build" because it's extremely gear dependent and 5th edition does not promise you gear. There's no market, no lottery, no thing you can do to get the gear you want or need. And secondly because it's extremely fragile. The Grindadin survives because of being nigh invulnerable, which he does by being just off the RNG with the opponents he faces. But there are a few opponents that just randomly have much better numbers. The Kraken, for example, gets +18 to-hit on every tentacle and even with disadvantage is going to be hitting you several times a round and ripping your face off.

-Username17
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

FrankTrollman wrote: The problems with the defensive character are two. The first is that it isn't really a "build" because it's extremely gear dependent and 5th edition does not promise you gear. There's no market, no lottery, no thing you can do to get the gear you want or need.
-Username17
There's rules for crafting magic items. You need to be a spellcaster but that's old news in D&D.

There's also page 38 of the 5e DMG:
Last edited by maglag on Wed May 20, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

momothefiddler wrote:Isn't it sort of a problem if you're trying to sneak past an army and your stealth isn't allowed to be off the RNG relative to their perception? Wouldn't the hundred archers notice you as much as they'd shoot your buff fighter buddy?

(note that I have no experience with 5e other than a brief skim and discussion here)
No. It's not at all clear how 5E stealth is supposed to work, but in the reasonable use cases the observers shouldn't be rolling dice. You may be rolling against their passive perception, or you may be rolling against ad hoc task difficulties. Defenders only get to roll perception under arbitrary fuck-you conditions which the MC should choose not to invoke.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

maglag wrote:There's also page 38 of the 5e DMG:
Can't tell if you're agreeing with me or totally clueless about this issue. +1 Armor is equipment that is "appropriate for 5th level characters to find" but it's rare. This means that as a character using the page 38 starting at higher level rules, you don't get to come in with +1 Armor until level seventeen. That's not a joke. It seriously makes you wait twelve levels between the level at which it's appropriate for the DM to hand it out in monster treasure if he feels like, and the level in which you're allowed to have it as a starting character. Given the paucity of games that start at 17th level, that basically isn't happening.

The page 38 rules are that the DM is in total control of when and if you get magic armor, and there is basically dick all you can do about it one way or the other.

As for making it yourself? Hah. No. First of all, making magic items at all is an "optional rule" that the DM has "complete" control over. Secondly, the suggested time to make a +1 suit of armor is two hundred days. That sounds like it should be a joke, but it's not. The suggested time to make a +3 set of armor is just shy of fifty five years, because those rules are optional and also written by a math-phobic idiot.

-Username17
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

maglag wrote:Crafting magic items. You need to be a spellcaster but that's old news in D&D.
Yes. Now read the treasure drops in your same DMG per encounter.

Good luck being able to cover the costs for crafting anything within your lifetime (not your character's, yours).
maglag wrote:There's also page 38 of the 5e DMG:
Now all you need is finding a 5E DM who actually starts games above level 1.

On an unrelated note, I have some beautiful swamps in Florida for sale.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

FrankTrollman wrote: Monsters get a lot more hit points than you do. An 11th level Horned Devil has 17 hit dice and a maximized Con bonus. If you "fight fair" you will lose. And you will lose pretty hard. The means of fighting "not fair" are:
Thanks.

So, did they just fuck the numbers up that hard, or is this a case that your chances of success at level X against monster level X are assuming a four-on-one fight?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RobbyPants wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: Monsters get a lot more hit points than you do. An 11th level Horned Devil has 17 hit dice and a maximized Con bonus. If you "fight fair" you will lose. And you will lose pretty hard. The means of fighting "not fair" are:
Thanks.

So, did they just fuck the numbers up that hard, or is this a case that your chances of success at level X against monster level X are assuming a four-on-one fight?
The short answer is that they just fucked up the math all to hell and gone. But the long answer is that the designers don't seem to agree amongst themselves what CR is even supposed to mean. The only thing it specifically means is that monsters with a CR higher than the average level of the party might have abilities, attacks, or defenses that make them unsuitable as opponents for players of that level. So there's no guaranty that monsters with any particular CR are level appropriate challenges for characters of any particular level, just a specific lack of guaranty that monsters with a CR above a certain level are level appropriate. What CR actually does is set a bunch of level-like qualities of the monster: they get proficiency bonuses based on CR, and shit like that. But since those level based qualities are not large compared to the total asspulls, it hardly matters.

For example, let's look at our friend the Horned Devil. He's CR 11, and that entitles him to a +4 Proficiency Bonus and his melee attacks at at +10. That's because he has +6 Strength bonus (note: PC strength bonuses only go up to +5 because go fuck yourself). But wait! Doesn't that mean that he rolled 123 on 17 hit dice? Yeah, he has d10s, but his average die roll is a bit north of 11. The CR 11 Remorhazz has a +11 to-hit because its bullshit Strength is +7, the CR 11 Roc has a +13 to-hit because its bullshit Strength is +9, and the CR 11 Gynosphynx has a +9 because its bullshit Strength is +4. That's actually a pretty tight clump. But it's a pretty tight clump because of bounded accuracy - that is pretty much nothing has really major bonuses to anything. The CR 13 Rakshasa has the same +10 to-hit with its spell attacks that the Horned Devil does with its fork, and so does the CR 8 T. Rex (because he's so strong). All the bonuses are small, but they are also so weakly tied to level that attack bonuses can literally be the same on monsters 5 levels apart.

Speaking of the CR 13 Rakshasa, he's one of the few monsters that we do have a window into the madness of why they got a CR of 13. According to the DMG, it's because they immune to spells of 6th level or lower, so they might not be appropriate challenges for a 12th level or lower party (who of course, only have 6th level and lower spells). But a 13th level Wizard only gets one 7th level spell. In a day. It's entirely likely that they'll go into the battle with that one spell slot expended. Or prepared as something other than an attack. And anyway, you aren't going to chew through the Rakshasa's 110 hit points with one spell. A 13th level Wizard is going to need to rely on minions, buffing allies, and hiding behind meat shields... same as a 12th level Wizard. So who gives a crap?

The way you're actually supposed to design encounters is with XP budgets. Which is really convoluted but basically works out to encounters of varying strengths being incredibly random collections of monsters. Every 11th level character brings the party 2/9ths of the way towards one CR 11 monster being a medium encounter, while every 5th level character in the party brings you 5/18ths of the way towards making a CR 5 monster be a medium encounter. And then you modify those numbers by multiplying shit if the monsters come more than one at a time. So while a CR 5 monster is worth 1/4 as much as a CR 11 monster, it can't come out evenly because 2 CR 5s are worth three times as much as one, and 3 CR 5s are worth 6 times as much.

The multiplier thing means that the XP budget counting is quadratic as monsters grow in numbers. If you face one monster, one times its XP cost counts against the budget, but if you face 15 monsters then sixty times the XP budget of 1 pops up. So if you have enough XP budget for one CR 11 critter, then 15 CR 1 critters would be too much. But you could still afford 18 CR 1/2 critters. At 11th level. For reals.

And yeah, there are CR 1/2 critters, even though it is literally impossible for any party's average level to be less than 1, and thus there are no and can be no parties for whom a CR 1 monster is not not appropriate and thus no conceivable need for monsters with a CR of less than that under that formulation. Fuck!

Bottom line: the encounter numbers in 5e are ugly as sin and obviously written by people who had no idea what they were doing and didn't care. There's no underlying theory to fucking any of this, and it's all gibberish. And it's broken as hell.

-Username17
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I guess that answers most of the thread question:

Minonmancers rule (noted in the OP), and there are no reasonable metrics for level-appropriate, so the question is inherently unanswerable.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RobbyPants wrote:I guess that answers most of the thread question:

Minonmancers rule (noted in the OP), and there are no reasonable metrics for level-appropriate, so the question is inherently unanswerable.
Pretty much, yes. The way PCs and Monsters add to and subtract from XP budgets is weird as hell. And the way level interacts with XP budgets makes no sense.

So every PC you add adds linearly to the number of XP the monsters are budgeted, but the monsters use up the budget quadratically.
1 Monster 1 x XP
2 Monsters 3 x XP
3 Monsters 6 x XP
8 Monsters 12 x XP
15 Monsters 60 x XP

So obviously this creates some giant holes in the encounter possibilities. If a monster uses up half the XP allowance... what the fuck are you supposed to do?

The monster XP cost progression is also basically insane. The increase in XP cost for a monster of each higher level does not follow any predictable pattern. There isn't even a clear direction of the relative or absolute cost increases as CR increases. A monster that is CR 2 uses up 125% more XP allowance than a Monster that is CR 1, while a monster that is CR 20 uses up only 13.6% more XP allowance than a Monster that is CR 19. And see if this progression of absolute increases makes any sense to you:
Level IncreaseXP Value Increase
3 to 4400
4 to 5700
5 to 6500
6 to 7600
7 to 81,000

So let's say that your XP budget was 18,000, let's look at what you could actually face:
  • One CR 17 Monster
  • Two CR 10 Monsters
  • Three CR 7 Monsters
  • Three CR 6 Monsters and a CR 5 Monster
  • Five CR 5 Monsters
  • Three CR 5 Monsters and Three CR 4 Monsters
  • Five CR 4 Monsters and Two CR 3 Monsters
  • Four CR 4 Monsters and Four CR 3 Monsters
  • Six CR 2 Monsters and Nine CR 1 Monsters.
There isn't some magical equivalency about these things. The first encounter is worth flatly more XP and gold than all the other encounters. It's just that arbitrarily each one of those is a standard encounter for a party of Four 17th level characters and a 14th level character. Or Three 15th level characters and a 16th level character. Or.... you get the idea.

There's no progression to any of this. It's not supposed to add up to anything, and it doesn't. The XP accounting shit is really complicated, and a lot of the time it just fucking doesn't add up at all. A party whose XP allowance happens to equal one 17th level monster by definition has an average level of less than 17, so you aren't even supposed to use that encounter. I mean, unless your party happens to be 4.6 17th level adventurers or something.

-Username17
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

So what I'm getting out of this is when they said "the math just works" in 4e, it was actually because they started with a system as dumb as or dumber than this, and decided that in comparison 4e was perfectly logical?
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

The second thing to remember is that 5E isn't making new books.
What? Why?

When did WotC decide that they hate money?
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I took the liberty of adding the XP budget increase to Frank's table (using a party of four and the minimum amount of XP needed for a medium difficulty encounter).
CR/Level IncreaseSingle Monster XP Value IncreaseParty XP Budget Increase
3 to 4+400+400
4 to 5+700+1000
5 to 6+500+400
6 to 7+600+600
7 to 8+1,000+600

There really isn't a pattern here. Not only are some levels worth more than others because reasons, but the same levels that are worth more because reasons are not the same CR's that are worth more because reasons. They are two completely different arbitrary progressions.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Fri May 22, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

Schwarzkopf wrote:
The second thing to remember is that 5E isn't making new books.
What? Why?

When did WotC decide that they hate money?
they don't have anybody on the payroll. another guy just got fired or he walked from his job, Rodney Thompson. I think they have 6 guys working on 5e pen and paper now. Not all of those people are game content authors, either. 5E is also putting out material through contracts with other presses, like Green Ronin. they are already hiring out things as basic as adventure design so there is no way they can do thing like class books, new PHBs and Monster Manuals, etc. They are barely keeping the lights on so you cannot expect them to be putting out product.

By way of comparison, 2014 was Paizo's best year in product sales and profit and they have like 65 employees. I think 5e has like, 6 or 7.

Edit: One more firing gets us the nickname this edition was waiting for, 5employees.
Last edited by Insomniac on Fri May 22, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.