[Let's Play] Blood Sword II - The Kingdom of Wyrd

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You must decide what strategy to use against the Elf, bearing in mind that as a soulless creature he is likely to be a methodical but uninspired games player.

If you use your central playing-pieces as a wedge to penetrate his defence, turn to 56. If you decide to advance your pieces across the board in a regular formation, turn to 321. If you employ the bluff of pulling back your central pieces and then closing the outer ones behind him as he attacks, turn to 138. If you decide to try making an occasional random move in order to throw him, turn to 542.
Going by the previous section, I should have waited for votes on which character to play this and have him decide the strategy, but since we already know how to win this, let's not waste any time:
The Elf-Lord gradually becomes anxious and indecisive. He seems completely at a loss to know how to deal with your tactics. At last, when the outer edge of your carefully constructed formation reaches his pieces, he concedes defeat.

Gathering up the pieces, he lowers his proud gaze and speaks quietly, saying: 'You set the test, this game, and I am truly overthrown. No grudge shall hold me from fulfilling my troth, though I am less certain you would have held to your pledge.'

'That is an unmannerly remark to make!' you cry. 'You have lost fair and square. Is that any reason to cast base aspersions on the decency of others?'

He turns his chill gaze on you again. 'My words were spoken in ill-considered haste, and now I must make reparations. I shall give you a gift as recompense for the slight my tongue offered you.' He pronounces a few syllables in a language you do not recognise, and the chequers pieces glitter with green light. 'These playing-pieces now have my rune laid upon them. When you contend against the final foe, this sorcery of mine shall aid you. At that time, the harm you were dealt by my harsh words shall be undone.'

You take the enchanted pieces from him, noting as you do so that his touch is deathly cold. With an uneasy glance at the waiting Elvan warriors, you pass beyond them down the forest road.
Nice!
It is night, the sky pitch black, but the snow seems to hold a faint luminescence of its own. The tangled thorn bushes, higher than your head, form a web of blackness against the backdrop of white.

Your boots crunch on the powdery snow. The wind has dropped now, making the awesome cold slightly more bearable. You begin to consider making camp for the night. Then a soft sound reaches your ears, a crisp pad pad pad - stealthy footfalls crunching in the snow.

If you wish to stop here and make camp, turn to 233. If you decide not to stop just yet, turn to 338.
Shall we stop for the night?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Oh shit. Don't stop.

Can Pepito pretty please retroactively heal himself and the party in small installments?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I dig that the Elves are soulless, otherworldly creatures instead of special snowflake balls of glittery rainbow sparklypoo.

I'd be down with Star's healing plan. Also, keep on going.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Ice wolves, I'm guessing. They might be scared of our camp fire, but hopefully they're squishier than that Eislaken. I'll prep sheet lightning and nemesis bolt, and we may as well continue.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:I'd be down with Star's healing plan.
How much END to spend?
You feel your hackles rise. Something is definitely following you. You can hear its rasping breath - no, several breaths. An eager panting - a pack of hunting dogs!

You look back and catch a glimpse of them, loping swiftly and stealthily through the black thickets of thorns. They are Frost Hounds, naked flanks blue with cold, eyes like hoarfrost and fangs that are jagged black icicles.

You quicken your pace. So do they. You start to run.
The Frost Hounds stay hard on your heels. You can feel their freezing breath on your back, hear the relentless crunch of their racing paws in the snow. More come to join the pack, hearing the hideous howls of their brethren. Your legs begin to tire and your breath comes in short gasps ...

You dash madly along the path. Up ahead, it divides in two. In one glance you take in the details: the right-hand branch continues as far as you can see, but the left-hand branch leads to a cave from which the light of a fire shines invitingly. The cave could provide shelter and safety - or a dead end from which there will be no escape ...

If you go into the cave, turn to 399. If you keep on running along the path, turn to 61.
Head for the light?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Go into the cave. There's a nonzero chance of something worse being in it (starting with "it's their lair and they fly into a frenzy and roflnom you without a fight"), but we also might be able to hold them off at the cave mouth while the Enchanter is recharging batteries.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Er, I'll spend 3 I suppose. Unless I missed something I'm actually at the lowest health of anyone. I'll prioritize getting what I lost back and then healing up Kiki if there's anything left.

EDIT: also go into the cave.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

A fur rug hangs over the narrow mouth of the cave, allowing only a chink of light to escape. The light lies like a bright spear across the snow, pointing your way to safety. At least the light and the narrow gap into the cave will give you some slight advantage over the diabolic hounds ...

All such thoughts vanish as you dive through the cave entrance. Beyond the draped fur you behold a dazzling sight. There is a huge hearth, where a pot of stew bubbles enticingly over a crackling log fire. You smell roast meat, and golden light glimmers on bottles of wine and mead. Your flesh, flayed by cold outside, now tingles as the warmth returns to it.

A woman is sitting in a chair by the fire. She looks up with a welcoming smile, and the firelight causes her eyes to twinkle. 'Hello,' she says. 'Do come in.'

You hold up your hand, warning her to stay quiet, and edge back to the cave entrance. You hear nothing outside. Your thoughts conjure an image of the hounds waiting in sinister silence, banding about the cave mouth. But when you flip back the fur and look out, you see only the slowly drifting snowflakes and the stillness of the thorn forest.

'The wolves, or hounds, or whatever,' says the woman, 'won't come in here. I don't think they like the warmth.'

'Who are you?' you ask, allowing her to lead you to the fireside. Your normal instinct is always to be suspicious, but you are too tired and cold really to keep your guard up now. You fall ravenously on the food and drink she hands to you.

'It is time to sleep,' she says gently. Though old, she is a handsome woman. You find her words comforting, and they gradually lull you into slumber ...

You feel her old brown hands pulling a blanket across you. It seems for a moment that you see her face looking down at you. She looks younger now, her face radiant and full of dignity and wisdom. Her gown of white samite glows in the golden firelight ...
If you're wondering why I hadn't rolled for healing, it's because we won't be needing it (we might have if we chose not to come into the cave, though)....
You wake with a start. The woman has gone. You are not sure how long you slept, but you feel completely restored. If wounded, you can return your Endurance to its normal score.

With spirits bolstered by soothing rest, you gather your belongings to set off. Among them you find that the woman has left you a gift: an amber tinderbox. Note this on your Character Sheet if you wish to keep it.

You emerge from the cave. You would have thought it would be dawn by now, but the forest is suffused in a grey gloom that gives no clue as to the time. The thorns look ragged and evil in the twilight as you regretfully make your way from the cave and follow the path north.
Everyone is back to full health. Someone needs to drop something to pick up the Amber Tinderbox, though.
The cursed forest seems to stretch on without limit. Bristling briars hang all around, resembling the poisoned black knives of a thousand skulking assassins. The snow has a stark grin, the wind stings you with its merciless stroking. The sky is the colour of lead.

You lose all sense of the passage of time. You cannot tell if you have been travelling for hours or days. You are walking as in a dream, weary and only half-conscious of your changeless surroundings ...

Suddenly you become aware that you have left the Forest of Thorns behind you. You are walking across a barren moor sprinkled with snow towards a wide lake ringed by strange hunched crags. The water glistens in the dreary twilight. Looking back you see the edge of the swart, thorny forest you have traversed. Your journey through it seems faintly unreal now, like a dream looked back upon after waking or like the waking world glimpsed in dreams.

Your gaze drops to the snow behind you. It is unblemished, showing no sign of tracks leading from the forest's edge. You leave no footprints where you walk.
The Palace of Eternal Dusk now stands ahead of you, a brooding grey edifice of heavy arches and squat towers, built on an island in the middle of the lake. Three huge covered bridges, doubtless honey-combed with chambers and corridors, stretch out from the central keep across the gelid water. Each bridge is entered by a gate on the lake shore. You know before you reach them that these are the Gates of Confusion, of Carnage and of Fear.

A roar rocks the ground beneath your feet. Shambling from behind a crag comes a giant beast, a thing that walks on its hind legs like a man. Each scaly plate armouring its body is the size of a knight's shield, each hard horny claw as thick as a spear's shaft. Where it places its feet, the snow melts and the scant grass is left withered and scorched. It is Gristun, the Guardian-Beast that patrols the way into the Warlock-King's fortress.

Guardian-Beast
Fighting Prowess: 8 Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 6 Damage per blow: 3 Dice+1
Armour Rating: 3
Endurance: 60

If you flee past it, turn to 432. If you slay it, turn to 10.
Another mega-boss who hits hard and has a huge END. But a few things:

- Fleeing is an option here, and it involves feeing past it into the palace, not turning back, so it's a legit option. I wasn't able to copy the text "Flee" from the battle map somehow, but the exit is 2 squares up and 1 left from Gristun.

- The Warrior is the only one who's engaged by Gristun, and will have to take a hit if he tries to move away.....but the Enchanter should have no problem getting everyone away with Immediate Deliverance if he chooses (he's immune to failure at Level-2 spells unless he's carrying multiple spells in his mind).

- And just a reminder, other than voting on your strategies for the battle, please also let me know which one of you wish to drop something to pick up the Amber Tinderbox.

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 11 (+1 from Enchanted Sword)
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 6
Endurance: 17/17
Damage: 1 Die+2

Items:
1 Enchanted Sword (+1 FP)
2 Chainmail armour (Armour Rating three)
3 Money pouch (98 gold pieces)
4 Gloves
5 Blood Sword Scabbard
6 Bedroll
7 Shielding Charm (+1 AR)
8 Silver crucifix (with finger-bone of St Ashanax)
9 Fur Cloak
10 Iron Bell
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 19/19
Damage: 1 Die+1

Items:
1 Sword
2 Ringmail armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Golden Snuffbox
4 Jug of Milk
5 Gloves
6 Bedroll
7 Harp
8 Silver Wolf's head clasp
9 Fur Cloak
10 Gilt-edged scroll
*11 Screebo the Raven
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 7
Awareness: 6
Endurance: 16/16
Damage: 1 Die+1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
2 Breastplate (Armour Rating one)
3 Fur Cloak
4 Bedroll
5 Magic Bow (Damage 1 Die+1)
6 Quiver (3 arrows)
7 Chequers board and pieces (Enchanted by an Elf-Lord)
8 Blue Crystal Eyes
9 Healing Draught (1 dose, regains 2d6 END)
10 Gloves
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 0
Psychic Ability: 15 (+1 from Ring of Sorcery)
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 16/16
Damage: 1 Die

Items:
1 Brazier
2 Silver armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Bedroll
4 Magical Crust of Bread of Infinity
5 Fur Cloak
6 Money pouch (88 gold pieces)
7 Ring of Sorcery (+1 PA)
8 Gloves
9-10 Iron rations (14 days)
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I'll drop some rations and pick up the tinderbox. As for this ugly dude... I'll follow Kiki's lead, since she's the main one at risk. If we fight, I'll use Nemesis Bolt; if we flee, Immediate Deliverance.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If we're fighting, I'll shoot, if we're running I save arrows and run.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Hm, I think we're definitely meant to flee, because that beast is a beast. Probably something cool if we do beat it, but I don't think it's worth the risk at this point. Book it.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Since we're not fighting it, I'll have the Warrior defend in the first round to focus on surviving (Enchanter takes 1 round to call his spell to mind).

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT RUN!

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster moves to exit.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Enchanter calls Immediate Deliverance to mind.

Awareness 6 acts ...

Warrior defends.

Sage moves to exit.

Guardian-Beast fights Warrior. Roll = 7 (on 3d6). Hits! Damage = 12+1-3-1 = 9. Warrior has 8 END left.

Round 2

Awareness 8 acts ...

Trickster waits.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Enchanter casts Immediate Deliverance and teleports himself and Warrior to the exit. The entire party flees.
Damn, Kiki still took a beating in that one round.
Which gate will you take into the Palace? The Gate of Carnage, the Gate of Confusion or the Gate of Fear.
The Sage might want to try some healing on the Warrior at the same time while everyone votes on which way to go.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Carnage sounds like a fight (or maybe just direct damage). Confusion sounds... just annoying as shit. Fear is probably either a bluff or a psychic attack.

Ordinarily, I'd say fear, because gamebook bluffs are pretty easy to read, but fuck it, we're in decent shape – let's go Carnage.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd rather go for fear since the BBEG might be a straight-up fight that we want to conserve for.

Regardless, I'll spend 4 EP on healing, focusing exclusively on Kiki. Any remainder goes back to me.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I vote fear; we probably have the item we need to bypass it, not to harp on the harp too much.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You rush through the Gate of Fear. You notice as you pass that the 'ivy' fringing its lintel is in fact a band of hissing poisonous snakes that try to drop down on you. Luckily, none of them strikes you. As you pass under the arch of the gate, the portcullis comes clanging down. The Guardian-Beast crashes into it and then begins to yowl with pain as the snakes bite him. He retreats hurriedly, and you are left to recover your breath. After a while you make your way down a winding flight of steps. At the bottom you stumble upon a grisly sight: two or three slain Adventurers lie butchered on the floor, their eyes gouged out and their severed limbs scattered into the far corners of the room which you have just entered.
Bodies to loot! Adventurers always have the best loot, right?
You are anxious to leave the gory sight as soon as possible and stumble through to a gallery beyond the dank chamber. There is a huge wooden doorway ahead of you carved with strange glyphs. You push it open and look out across a courtyard that lies beyond. A huge winged demon crouches on a post at its centre, darting its eyes here and there as if anxious for prey. There is a doorway on the other side of the courtyard, but to reach it you would have to pass right in front of the demon. High above, you can see intermittent pulses of light.

The demon does not seem to have noticed you yet. If you wish to thrust the door shut and think of a plan, turn to 88. If you'd rather just rush out into the courtyard and attack the creature, turn to 249.
What, no stopping to loot the corpses?? What kind of PCs are we??

Attack now or not?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Rush forwards without fear.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Rush forwards without fear.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You move out across the courtyard. The demon only watches you morosely, making no move to attack. As you pass by, you see it is chained to the post on which it squats.

You approach the doorway in the far wall. You see that a trail of withered grass leads towards it across the garth. Several flowers close to the door are blackened by rot.

'It always has that effect, wherever it goes,' says the winged demon. You turn and ask what 'it' is, but the demon looks around furtively and refuses to say any more. It is with some trepidation that you step forwards and push open the door.
The door opens on to a banqueting hall of the sort where great knights might gather. There are weapons and shields hanging on the walls (any player lacking a weapon can re-arm), and tapestries depicting mighty battles . . .

But this room is the scene of a massacre! Something surprised the warriors as they dined and drank. Edging carefully past the torn and broken corpses, you try to piece together what must have happened. Several of the bravest warriors apparently grabbed halberds from the walls, but they fought in vain. Whatever it was that attacked them, it possessed tremendous strength. Whole oak tables were splintered in the battle, and you see the marks where fangs completely punctured steel hauberks from front to back.

And now you notice something else. The blood that covers the walls and floor is still warm and sticky. This carnage happened only a few minutes ago.

Two doors lead on from the hall. A trail of gore leads to one, presumably indicating the route taken by the monster that killed these men.

If you want to follow it, turn to 317. If you would rather take the other door, turn to 318.
Follow the bloody trail?

And, yeah....anyone who doesn't like the design of their existing weapon (and if Reed for some unfathomable reason wants to re-arm himself) can grab a weapon of their choice here.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Starmaker wrote:
angelfromanotherpin wrote:Rush forwards without fear.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Wait for Reed to prep spells and follow the trail.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I'll prep Nemesis Bolt and Sheet Lightning; let's follow the trail.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The door ahead of you swings open at your cautious push and you pass through into what may once have been a museum. It is now in a shambles. Whole sections of wood panelling have rotted and fallen away from the walls; statues lie toppled and smeared with grime; a ghastly stink of corruption seems to hang in the air like a physical presence: The trail of blood across the floor leads into a corner behind a mouldering triptych. You hear a hissing growl, full of menace, that tells you the monster is
lying in wait there.

If you go back and take the other door, turn to 318. If you advance to face the monster, turn to 440.
Are we sure we want to fight it?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Yes.
(What's our healing situation? Looks like Pepito's 4 EP blast never went off. We might need to use these extra paragraphs to retroactively heal.)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Starmaker wrote:(What's our healing situation? Looks like Pepito's 4 EP blast never went off. We might need to use these extra paragraphs to retroactively heal.)
I did roll for it, but forgot to post the result. The roll was a 3, which means Pepito gets back exactly as much END as he spends.....which means he just transfers 4 END from himself to Kiki.

Kiki and Pepito are both at 12 END.

Pepito can, of course, try to heal again before we head into the next fight.
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.