Need Input on Kingmaker

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Stinktopus wrote:
Rawbeard wrote:There seems to be random xp, but very little random loot. like "this is backwater shit, no one has shit"
Yeah, part of the problem with Kingmaker Random Encounter is that many of them have no actual treasure, while others are "run away or die." It's entirely possible that, in the course of 10-15 wilderness encounters, you will only get loot from 2.

The most hilarious random encounter is the Will O' Wisps that can be encountered at level 1. You can't fight them, or reasonably be expected to run from them. So, your DM either uses the encounter to troll the players, or he massacres the party.
The AP in general seems to really fap to Will O Wisps. Like I saw more of them reading through this adventure than I have in 20 years of playing D&D combined.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Part of Paizo's problems with their APs, I'm coming to realize, is that they expect random encounter tables to make their shit interesting. Have a look at Savage Tide's Here There Be Monsters, or Tides of Dread, or Into the Maw, or Wells of Darkness. Reams of random encounter charts to "spice up" boring shit.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

They also seem to lean on "nine things that will kill you to death, you choose the batting order" if Rise of the Runelords is anything to go by.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Stinktopus wrote:The most hilarious random encounter is the Will O' Wisps that can be encountered at level 1. You can't fight them, or reasonably be expected to run from them. So, your DM either uses the encounter to troll the players, or he massacres the party.
Second place goes to the Shambling Mound. One attacked us while we were sleeping and massacred the (level 2) party. Nobody identified what it was, so we didn't know we were expected to run away from it until it was too late.