Why no Classplosion in 5e?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: Why no Classplosion in 5e?

Post by Koumei »

I can explain this one: after a lot of GooglingDuckDuckGoing with no success, I asked rad if he could find the CYOA post in question. Not only did he find it, he then applied html magic (or php or whatever) to make it into that little thing that doesn't involve scrolling around the screen. Posting it here on the original seems as reasonable as anything else, too.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Dogbert wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:46 am
Probably not the most relevant image in 2022...
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

We have always had a tradition of preferring necromancy to making a new thread in general, so I'm not sure why anyone would check the posting date ever.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

It doesn't help that this particular topic is still depressingly relevant nearly 7 years later. One of the few ways I can stomach 5e is with homebrew/third party classes. What happened?
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Yeah, we actually prefer thread necromancy over reposting a topic, so we can refer to the older conversation more easily. Otherwise people end up saying the same thing over and over.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

If classes don't do anything, you don't need much variation. You can do nothing with all the classes that already exist.

But hey, ham it up as a gnome. You can play a heck of a game just by getting offended when anyone notices you're short.
-This space intentionally left blank
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

The class specialization and feats that allow dabbling cut down on variant classes, which is good but still not great.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The 5e Classes I'd say are fun to build are...

Warlock: Big changes between subclasses, some oddities like using Proficiency to damage seems like this class was the first one fleshed out then they had to make sure the other classes were Not Too Fun

Sorcerer: Kinda Warlock-like in how subclasses affect how they play, but Not Too Fun-ized

Making new subclasses (patrons, origins) for 'em is open ended. Being able to go into your ring like a genie is neat, summoning a cold tentacle is neat, growing dragon wings is cool.