The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Wrestling Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Redundant!

Also, this hit me as hilarious. Yes, that's right, even Sean Fucking Waltman was incredulous despite his usual commitment to X-Pac heat solidarity.
Mask_De_H
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei wrote:
Use his full name, Handsome Rusev!

Undashing Handsome Rusev made my soul hurt.
TOZ
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy shit.

I was at Elimination Chamber tonight.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So last week they finally pulled the trigger on the KO vs Jericho angle. This week it actually managed to start with the crowd booing Owens, and I can't remember the last time they did that. Maybe when he first "sold out" and allied with HHH? Or do we basically have to go all the way back to NXT with his betrayal of Sami Zayn?

So well done there, they finally got people booing heel Owens. Through the magic of Jericho.
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If he were still a heel I'd say they need a vignette of Jericho complaining about how nobody could have foreseen this to a silent but fuming Sami Zayn.
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anybody heard of Sting this year or last year or did he quit for good for reals?
Undertaker is still somehow going strong, despite being advanced in age.

And Austin, Goldberg and The Rock made combacks as well . .
Same with Cactus Jack somehow . .
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Still going strong" may be a bit generous. You could say that about him at Wrestlemania, but ever since then he's been showing his age more and more in my opinion.

No shame in that; the guy is a legend and possibly my favorite wrestler of all time, but I think he should have retired in 2016 while he could do so on a high note.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sting's neck injury wasn't a work, it was a real thing that happened and he can't wrestle any more. Sting isn't going to wrestle again.

And we're currently having another plague of injuries across the board, with Finn Balor still recovering from his broken arm, Naomi having to relinquish her title due to a knee injury that means she won't be able to wrestle at Wrestlemania (in her home town no less), and Seth Fuckings rolling his knee up again.

Also, why the hell did they bring Mickie James back just to repeatedly job her out to Becky Lynch?

Anyway, I've been thinking, these days escapism is more important than ever, heel victories - when they're Miz and Charlotte type heels - turn me off the shows more and more. Is it time that we change things up and stop actually having traditional faces and heels? There are other options:
1. Treat it more like an actual competition between two people, and even go so far as to have ladders and rankings rather than an inebriated GM stagger out to call a match at random.
2. Take the thing they've sort of been doing already and just go all the way with it - with "heels" that people cheer nonetheless like Owens, Jericho, The GAY Community? Styles, Handsome Rusev, Alexa Bliss...
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heels and faces don't have to go, they just need to quit treating "babyface" and "Fucking morons who lose in the end" as synonymous. True story: I once joked that Seth would be the one to turn heel because the Cerebral Assassin thinks that functioning brain cells is a heel trait in WWE. I thought I was joking, but hey, sometimes it turns out that you had all the puzzle pieces in front of you the whole time.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure. Ultimately, people like (in fact particularly) the Miz and Charlotte would just need to go on big old losing streaks and also stop talking in order for me be happy with their existence. Not "they won't win in the end through outsmarting the faces", but actual "they head out to the ring, they do not speak, and then they get beaten. Ten weeks in a row".

Kind of like how I liked Bork Laser so much more ever since Goldborg flattened him and Hay-man practically lost his voice.

Not to mention the fact that Vince has a very hit and miss record when it comes to identifying what makes someone a face (hitting on married women like Trump? Using too much hair moisturiser? Being a big old racist like Trump? Actually being Trump?) or heel (Being Mexican? Being Bulgarian?).
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

@Koumei
Ah thank you.
Sads now . . never gonna see Undertaker versus Sting then ._.
I loved his insane Icon turn. And the Main Event Mafia was interesting.
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei wrote:
I'm not sure. Ultimately, people like (in fact particularly) the Miz and Charlotte would just need to go on big old losing streaks and also stop talking in order for me be happy with their existence. Not "they won't win in the end through outsmarting the faces", but actual "they head out to the ring, they do not speak, and then they get beaten. Ten weeks in a row".

Kind of like how I liked Bork Laser so much more ever since Goldborg flattened him and Hay-man practically lost his voice.

Not to mention the fact that Vince has a very hit and miss record when it comes to identifying what makes someone a face (hitting on married women like Trump? Using too much hair moisturiser? Being a big old racist like Trump? Actually being Trump?) or heel (Being Mexican? Being Bulgarian?).

Big losing streaks mean that there is no drama. You need the classic hero's journey. First the heel beats the face, then the face trains hard, makes a comeback, and beats the heel.

But the face has to lose first. That's the setback. You can't have a hero's journey without a setback. It would be like Star Wars without Empire Strike's Back.
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Taker had hip surgery earlier this year and was reportedly in a lot of pain after his brief run in the Rumble. And by "run" I mean "standing around being old as fuck while dudes push their faces into his fist." He should build a nice retirement castle out of shellacked hundred dollar bills and stay away from wrestling rings. He's earned it.

As for the rest of it, I would say that Miz is the least of their problems. His current gimmick basically started out as Johnny Cage cosplay and that would be A-OK if they were willing to let their second & third tier babyfaces have unambiguous victories where they get to outsmart his goofy ass instead of doing whatever tweener bullshit it is they're trying to do with Dolph. It's the fucking midcard so you don't need a lot of depth. You could just have Dean beat on his ass for a month or two until they need a ginger to job to Reigns again.

Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hyzmarca wrote:

Big losing streaks mean that there is no drama. You need the classic hero's journey. First the heel beats the face, then the face trains hard, makes a comeback, and beats the heel.

But the face has to lose first. That's the setback. You can't have a hero's journey without a setback. It would be like Star Wars without Empire Strike's Back.

I'm fine with no drama outside of the main event if it means the Miz gets shit on. He can just be used as enhancement talent to boost some other people a bit until "Yeah but everyone beats the Miz up" renders that useless. Then he can go to TNA to challenge all newcomers.

If we really need a thing where the face has to lose first, then that takes us back to "Everyone needs some baseline likeability and not really have traditional heels, meaning Miz, Charlotte and Reigns just have to go away and find a new occupation, and Lesnar needs to destroy Heyman and go solo." Even in WCPW I just fast-forward through anything involving the Swords of Essex or Doug Williams (and, back in the day, Prince Ameen and the "Youtube Wankers" authority stuff).
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know I'm repeating myself at this point, but I don't care, because this has been bothering me for a long time.

I'm tired of faces being portrayed as dumb shits who fall for shit that wouldn't stump an infant or have to stand around quietly while Steph claims they'd be penniless losers without the McMahon family deigning to let them rassle. For example, Sami Zayn was positioned a million times better back in NXT than he is now. That's because over there they established a clear pecking order where he'd stomp the ever living shit out of dudes lower on the card and when he did lose it was for understandable reasons against other top guys. Then Corey Graves would shit talk him and the audience would shout "Objection!" because Corey is a god damn heel and would inevitably take the criticism way too far. There was a marked lack of surprise schoolboy losses and getting distracted by fucking entrance music. People cheered for him because he wasn't a total loser but he also wasn't a sure thing, either, so there was still drama involved.

Incidentally, this is why I kinda like the Revival even though they can be sorta dull at times. See, they do this thing where the faces avoid most of their obvious trickery and only finally succumb to the dirty tricks because the Revival works super hard to finally outnumber a guy and will just keep fucking cheating until something sticks if they have to. It's like they're evil cheaters who you should boo instead of the faces being dumber than my cat.

Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have found the wrestling that provides what I want, and it is... TIGER MASK W!

From wrestling to storylines to character arcs and development to themes to simple catharsis, it is perfect. And intelligence is not limited to heels.

Also, Kenny Omega ate all of the cakes. What a heel, Bullet Club truly are the lowest of the low!
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heard the ppv was mostly hot garbage. I didn't watch it, so whatever.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wasn't too bad, to be honest. Now, Tiger Mask W aired a new episode the same day, and that was better, but it still wasn't awful. The main downside to it was Invincible Reigns being the first person to actually pin Swamp Man, in an inconsequential match. Or maybe that Bayley's victory was a bit dodgy (but on the other hand: she beat Charlotte to retain her title at a PPV so w/e).

Okay, and the final match actually was a 3 second Goldberg squash match, but thanks to Jericho distracting Owens as a lot of people assumed, and after this weird minute of mind-games... before the bell rung. Owens got ahead of himself there. Also it's really a shame that there were around three or four major predictions for how the match would end, and not one of them was "The reigning champion, who knows what he's doing (heel intelligence) and is probably at the perfect age of having experience but not being worn down, cleanly defeats the fifty year old man who only wrestles short bursts and has only just wrestled a couple of matches after returning from a 10 year hiatus".
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I watched the god damned thing and nobody warned me that Rusev got slapped around a bit by Jinder fucking Mahal.

Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8BL2BC9WEg
Not the insane icon anymore, but still Sting.
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVeC9wXZLUc
The Hardy Boys are back O.o
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's look at them bit by bit.

AJ Styles vs Shane O'Mac
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Bring out the women!

Tag!

Almost all others

And then, all light and warmth faded from the world on the day that love and music died.

Oh also, there was a lovely sign being held up stating "Romain Reigns is a Holocaust Denier". That is perhaps a new low for the signs, though I'm probably not one to talk, having just rated that match as a worse atrocity than aforementioned Holocaust.
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*booooooos*
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I let my subscription lapse and skipped Mania despite the multiple paths to a free month. I only started watching WWE again due to a goofy infatuation with Team Hell No, so I don't really see an argument for sticking with the show any longer. They've been trying to get me to care about Reigns vs Brock for years now so I'm just done.

Last edited by Whipstitch on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whipstitch
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I still haven't been watching but the idea of everyone uniting in hatred of JBL makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: