Wrestling Thread

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Leress wrote:Around 0:24 you can see a couple of the members of TeamFourStar with Lani holding a their logo.
Also LittleKuriboh. I have the feeling Xavier Woods just said "Hey, we should do this specifically as a shout-out to these guys I love. I know they have tickets, they'll be in the audience." and nobody said "No".

So what did I like? (The answer isn't GrumpyCat going "NOTHING", it's just a long-ish breakdown)
-The women's match: first let's mention that they retired the fucking Diva's title with that fucking awful pink butterfly logo that looks like someone vajazzled it on. But beyond that? The match itself was great. Becky can suplex like Bork Laser, and there were some great spots. They made full use of the triple threat environment, and that was rad. It's a shame the ending was ruined by Ric Flair, but let's be honest here: Charlotte's character and the entire feud were ruined by Ric Flair. That's only going to stop when he finally dies, and he probably won't do that until after Hogan goes.

-Bork Laser vs Ambrose: again, the ending kind of ruined it, because people want Ambrose to actually win something and not just be the whipping boy. But the problem is, he was in the Shield and isn't called Roman Reigns, so he's not allowed to succeed unless he turns heel. But before it ended, it was full of great spots (pulling the chainsaw out - does "It's No DQ" protect you from murder charges now? - any number of suplexes, the breaking of the kendo stick, Heyman losing his shit when Ambrose found something effective and the referee pointing out "It's a street fight, anything goes")

-Nothing about the Styles vs Jericho match

-New Day vs League of Nations: Xavier Woods' hair. Their entrance. The cheap pop from nostalgia where three old men came out and levelled the LoN at the end. I'm okay with Wrestlemania being the stage for legends to make a brief return and do something goofy.

-Women's Tag Match: it had Paige in it

-Nothing about the Kalisto vs Ryback match

-Ladder Match: there were some good spots in it. I personally hate Zack Ryder, so his victory turned this from "I don't really care" to "Oh for fuck's sake, I thought we were supposed to care about this prestigious title once held by Jericho, Benoit, Chyna, Guerrero, HBK and more". Everything good in that match involved either Sami Zayn or Kevin Owens. Usually both.

-Hell in a Cell: this was poorly booked from the outset from a story perspective. The reasons for it were really dumb. But if you put that aside, it was a good match. There were lots of good spots (mostly involving offence from Shane O Mac). But honestly, I would be able to accept the retirement of the Undertaker if it meant Shane taking control of Monday Nights and the authority fucking right off. And seeing as one day the Undertaker is going to have to retire, it's for the best that they sweeten it with something like that. So Undertaker winning made sense from a "Who is better at fucking murdering people inside a steel cage?" perspective, but... it doesn't bode well for the future.

-Nothing after Hell in a Cell
So the "It's the 30th-best" is unfair, it wasn't entirely piss and shit... but it certainly wasn't great, and there were a lot of matches that had some great wrestling, but ultimately spoiled by poor endings, the burial of wrestlers, or crappy storylines.

How I Would Have Booked It:
Ideally, Vince should have given up on the Reigns Project a long time ago. Ambrose should have won the Rumble to become champion, leading to him defending at Mania against... okay, there isn't much there. Almost everyone else is either injured, kind of shit, or just not fitting the title picture. Maybe have Bork Laser challenge at Mania, have the same brutal match, let them physically dismantle the ring because it's the main event, and have Ambrose come out on top. Maybe have multiple referees knocked out in the process and literally every announce table demolished. Bonus points for a German Suplex onto the German announce table.

Reigns could face a Jack-in-the-box for all I care. Or maybe have Triple H pull some "Hahaha, well you lost the big one, but don't worry, I'LL MAKE IT UP TO YOU! You can challenge for a title at Wrestlemania... THE US TITLE, TROLOLOL" and suddenly he's in the mid-card.

The Undertaker would be facing someone who, if I had my druthers, would have graduated from NXT after (or at) the Rumble: Finn Balor.

There wouldn't be a big Diva Scramble. There'd just be a one-on-one match to determine the number one contender for whomever should win the Women's Title later that night. It would naturally be Paige beating any opponent. For the Women's Championship, it would basically be exactly the same as what was booked, but with Ric Flair not showing up because he's busy getting drunk again.

New Day would not be "Well people cheer them, so I guess they're faces. Make them fight the League of Losers! Make them lose, too!" New Day would still be "heels, honest", facing off against Enzo and Cas. They would use some heelish tactics (against a team people cheer for, no less!), but still probably get their own love from the crowd.

The Styles/Jericho feud would have ended with their handshake, only for Kevin Owens to piss AJ off again. They teased a feud for those two at the Rumble, I'd like to see them face off. So that would be their Mania match, Styles vs Owens for the IC title. I don't really mind who would win that one. The ladder match just wouldn't happen, but I'd probably look for a good opponent for Sami Zayn in one on one.

As for Shane? I'd totally have him enter the way he did, and for Vince to put him in a match. But it'd be one that makes more sense for the story: "You will face my one true son, the real heir to my throne... TRIPLE H"

And then Shane would obviously[/b] beat HHH.

Koumei for Creative
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

My interest in Becky Lynch is slightly hampered by my burning hatred of anything vaguely steampunk. I feel like anyone who ever drew a steampunk pirate on their DeviantArt account should be shot into space.

Anyway, as far as the Ambrose thing goes, it's not really like I expected him to win, really. I just thought we were in line for a moral victory match where after all the bluster Brock finally gets forced to stoop to Dean's level and go apeshit with a weapon in order to pull out a decisive victory. Instead Brock basically proved once and for all that he could crush Dean even with a self-imposed handicap.
bears fall, everyone dies
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Well, post-Wrestlemania RAW started a little WTF for me, but I was feeling it by the end of the night.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Lucha Underground really needs to lose the headdresses.

King Cuerno can keep his and I'd be fine with it but Prince Puma's hat is an abomination.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Fuck fuck fuck I really hope Finn isn't seriously hurt.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I enjoyed Bluetista and Prince jokes so much that I'm still salty Roman hasn't switched to all purple.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And the injuries continue. I really hope Enzo is all right - and it seemed pretty traumatic for the Vaudevillains and Big Cas as well. And the New Day. And Kevin Owens coming in afterwards looking shaken.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

That shit was horrible to see. Made for a real damper on the rest of the card. Simon has got to be feeling terrible about it, and now its a question of if the Vaudevillians are going to get a shot at the tag titles or if that botch will be a mark against them. Other than that, the rest of the matches were fairly good, weird screwjob on the Women's Title match aside.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

It's hard to even see it as a botch on the part of Simon Gotch, it looked like more of a freak accident. It could still stick to them though, I suppose.

The women's match was great until the end. If they wanted to cause "Bad shit happened to Bret, let's rehash it" heat, they could have Natty take a mule kick to the head and be "concussed" (or have some discussion about "That might have concussed her just like it did to Bret when Goldberg did that move"). If they wanted a non-decisive end, they could have it go to the time limit. There was good wrestling, I'd be happy to see it go to the time limit. They probably needed to shoehorn extra content in after the tag match was sadly cut short, and assuming wrestling matches have some scripted spots and then between that it's a bit ad-hoc, they could have done it there to drag it out to whatever they arbitrarily decide the time to be.

And you basically never see a time out these days (unless playing a tag-match or triple threat or whatever on the vidya games, that shit happens all the time because of interference). It'd be fresh. But what they did was fucking stupid.

It's good to see Ambrose win something. Honestly though, what I'd do is have him win very decisively, then grab a microphone and shout "See, Styles? THIS is how you beat Jericho!" And that might come up again later on.

Can't complain about KO vs Sami Zayn, and King of Swing carried Miz through their match. Heck, we even had some more KO-and-Zayn head punching, and it looks like we'll get a fatal fourway later. That's pretty cool, with three of the competitors being interesting and worthy of holding the title and restoring its prestige (the fourth is of course the one currently holding it). They could gradually undo the failure bestowed upon it by Ryder, and Miz, and the pass-the-parcel thefts, and just make us think of the times it was held by champions such as Chyna, and Jericho, and Chri-KURT ANGLE.

But the last match. Just like with Wrestlemania, the last match ruined everything. It even had good wrestling in it (on the part of Styles, of course). But we all knew Reigns would walk out with the title. Just...

I figured Bullet Club would help him, but he'd get disqualified and lose, but they'd stomp Reigns down and look like the proper winners. What I and most others wanted of course was Styles winning (with or without Bullet Club help). And then have him grab a microphone and say "Ambrose, THIS is how you beat the champion."

But there were other options - Bullet Club (+Balor) betray Styles. Bullet Club draw the Usos out and the whole thing ends as a big old shmozzle. Balor forces himself into the title picture. Something something Wyatts.

But instead we had a replay of a match from years ago, with the count-out, restart with no count-outs, DQ, restart with no DQs, cockface still pulls the victory out at the end. But this time to resounding booing. Didn't even really have a shonky finish, Reigns just basically won clean despite everything that happened, and retroactively ruined the entire show. Though admittedly, after the injury, the whole show had a bit of a cloud and good things had the caveat of "But I hope Enzo is doing okay". Still, apparently he's already on his feet again and smiling for the camera and speaking.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Reigns is holding two belts now? Come on...
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, I wasn't about to post about the Enzo thing as it happened. You know it's a bad scene when people are excited about a dude being able to move his extremities.

Reigns has too many goddamn hitpoints.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Koumei wrote:It's hard to even see it as a botch on the part of Simon Gotch, it looked like more of a freak accident. It could still stick to them though, I suppose.
Yeah, it was wrong to blame it all on him in the heat of the moment. Enzo looked like he made a misstep trying to avoid the ropes as well. Even with no one to blame I'm sure that Simon is upset about it just from being the other guy in the ring when it happened. I'm sure the rest of the locker room is a better judge of what happened than I am and they are helping both teams work through the emotions.

Roman did like we all knew he would, I'm just disappointed that nothing really happened and now we get Styles/Roman again at Extreme Rules where we probably get more of the same. :/
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Pisses me off that Reigns always wins but Dean has to immediately get punked the next RAW after a victory so the heels can have their heat back. What bugs me the worst is that the announcers play the whole thing off as a joke even though it actually seemed to get some heat from the live audience.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Whipstitch wrote:Pisses me off that Reigns always wins but Dean has to immediately get punked the next RAW after a victory so the heels can have their heat back. What bugs me the worst is that the announcers play the whole thing off as a joke even though it actually seemed to get some heat from the live audience.
Of course the announcers play it off as a joke: RAW is just one long joke played at the customers' expense.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Hey, two surprise returns this weekend. Oddly, I'm more excited about Pacitti than Rollins.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Most people are. Still, it lets me say SETH RETURNINGS HAS ROLLED! CROSSFIT JESUS IS BACK!

And if he gets his title back from the failed Reigns experiment and moves things on, that can only be a good thing. Hell, if he pushes the (presumably original pre-injury) story of a former-SHIELD triple threat, I'll be happy.

Poor Jack, having to watch A Serbian Film.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Honestly, between Reigns and Ambrose I don't really give a shit about a Shield triple threat or reunion anymore. Fucking Reigns kept the damn music so it's not even like they can get a proper nostalgia pop out of me and for some dumb ass reason Dean remains a comedic figure even when he's in a hardcore match. After that turd of a cage match I couldn't even work up the enthusiasm to bother watching AJ-Roman. You didn't have to be Nostradamus to suss out who would win anyway.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Tue May 24, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I didn't bother watching the event, I just looked at the results, then drank along with Adam & Jack for their coverage.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

You should at least watch the IC title match. Best match of the card.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Some time in the last few months, NINE NINETY NINE stopped working for my household. For both the PS3 app and for the website on my PC. Their tech support was kind of useless, too. So I cancelled my subscription, and I'm not really in the mood to download a 2GB torrent just for one match.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

My favorite part of the IC match was when Owens and Miz got cleared out early and I suddenly remembered that Zayn-Cesaro was why I started paying more attention to NXT in the first place.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

The IC match and the main were really good, but ROMANWINSLOL will turn off pretty much everyone here from the main because in the end we're all marks mad our guy loses. The MitB match looks like it's gonna be straight fire though.

The most recent day of the BOSJ was fucking great; KUSHIDA and Kyle O' Reilly are two of the best workers on the planet right now. Volador Jr. looks like an ugly roided up Sef, but he is also amazing.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Whatever Zayn and Cesaro have going on, I want more of it. And KO is always gold.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I watched RAW and it's adorable that WWE keeps pushing the "Well, yeah, but you should at least respect Roman's ability and character" angle as if grudging respect has much currency in the wrestling industry. I mean, let's compare and contrast Reigns and Scott Steiner. The worst character accusation people have against Roman is a general skepticism regarding whether he has earned his spot. I genuinely have no logical reason to doubt that Roman is a decent guy. By contrast, the popular image of Scott Steiner indicates that he's a 'roided up ogre who's got no sympy for English. "Respect" isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of Steiner, but I sure as hell still found him more entertaining.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Wed May 25, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

FUCK FUCK FUCK why another brand split