[Let's Play] Blood Sword I - The Battlepits of Krarth

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Starmaker got it right:
The Faltyn is using the word "try" as a loophole. He'll try, and fail, but we'd stil have to pay him in advance.

However, not letting the Trickster act first is another missed opportunity, because the Trickster would have successfully charmed Larisha into giving us a 2nd item!
If you have the Dagger of Vislet, turn to 214. If you have the Golden Snuff Box, turn to 323. If you have neither of these items, turn to 93.
We got the Snuffbox:
You can open the Snuff Box at the end of any combat that you won. You cannot open it after fleeing from a combat, nor at any other time. When you open it, each player rolls one Die. On a roll of 1 or 2, the player loses one Die Endurance. On a roll of 3 to 6, the player gains one Die Endurance. The Snuff Box then shuts itself and cannot be used again until you win another battle.

If you also have the Dagger of Vislet, turn to 214. If you do not have the Dagger (or if you already know what it does), turn to 93.

Nope, we didn't manage to get a second item from Larisha.
Larisha stands up, trailing her silk toga like a shadow. 'Return now to the magi's labyrinth,' she says, lifting her hands to display dozens of jewelled rings. 'If I possessed a soul, perhaps I would wish you well ...'

Colours and sounds jangle and swirl about you. For a moment you are jerked off your feet, then you settle down on to a carpeted floor. The confusion of lights fades to reveal that you are now in a corridor lined with mirrors.
For those of you wondering about the remaining 2 items:
There's no description for the Gem because it's useful only for a single specific encounter.

The Dagger is probably the most generally useful item. It's a missile wapon that flies back into the user's hand every time it hits, so essentially it's equivalent to an unlimited supply of arrows (without need for a bow). The only catch that if the thrower misses its target the Dagger doesn't come back, but can still be retrieved after the fight.
You are walking in what you judge to be a northerly direction along a red-carpeted corridor lined with gilt-edged mirrors that cast dim reflections from your torchlight. The carpet muffles the sound of your feet as you move along, sending up small puffs of the centuries-old dust that covers everything.

If the party includes an Enchanter, he or she may wish to use a Prediction spell; if so, turn to 287. If the party includes a Sage and he or she wishes to try ESP here, turn to 362. Otherwise you continue along the corridor, a vague sense of unease growing with every footstep.
At least it specifically tells us what the characters can do this time!

Do the Sage or Enchanter want to try their spells?

Also, who should carry the Snuffbox?

Since the Snuffbox can only be used after winning a combat, do you guys want to make it a standard rule to try it automatically after each won battle? Or should I only use at the player's request?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I think it's time for some ESPing.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I defer to the sage. As for the snuffbox, we can decide that once we actually get wounded. I don't mind carrying it though.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Shiritai wrote:I defer to the sage. As for the snuffbox, we can decide that once we actually get wounded. I don't mind carrying it though.
Just a minor note: according to the text, the Snuffbox only heals (or hurts) one character each time it's used, namely whomever is carrying it at the time.

Obviously players are free to trade items between themselves anytime they wish (unless they're in the middle of a combat), but the player who's carrying it has to be around to post his agreement to use the item or pass it to whomever needs it.

The Snuffbox isn't as much of an issue since it can only be used outside combat anyway, but each time you pick up a new item it's better to specify who's the best to carry it, especially for something like a weapon for a combat-use magic scroll to make sure that it's the character who can best make use of it in the middle of a fight (the afore-mentioned Dagger, for example, isn't going to be of as much use on someone who's going to be in up-close melee most of the time). Also occasionally there might be opportunity (albeit rare ones) for characters to pick up an object during a fight, and obviously anyone who's already full-loaded with items can't do that, even if said item may benefit that character the most.

Meanwhile, the Sage uses ESP:

SAGE:
You are attempting to use your psionic power of ESP. Like many of your powers it is unreliable. It depends upon a number of abstract symbols and mind-sets that you must meditate upon. To determine the success of your attempt, turn either to 498 or to 258.
Yeah, Sage's success in the use of his power varies (not just ESP but also Levitation and stuff). Sometimes it works automatically; sometimes it's random like this one. Sometimes the text will ask you to answer some sort of philosophical question to determine your success.

Pepito must pick his random number.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

498, for no reason.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

SAGE:
You try to free your mind from the effort of concentrating, to 'let go from trying', as your Adept Masters taught you. Suddenly you enter a state of serene calm in which all things are clear, and in this instant of Nirvana you sense the thoughts of others around you.
[Drifting outwards with this expanded sense, you feel the presence of an immensely powerful creature at the end of the corridor. Then, examining the side walls of the corridor, you detect brief flickers of thoughts, as though several beings of very low mentality lurk beyond the mirrors.]
You return reluctantly to normal.
This is another instance where the character-specific options are mutually-exclusive, and the Enchanter doesn't get to cast his spell now.
The corridor ahead terminates in vast bronze double doors. To either side, gilt-framed mirrors wink in your torchlight. Unless the mirrors conceal some hidden passageway, your only route lies through the bronze doors in front of you.

If there is a Trickster in the party who can examine the mirrors, turn to 511. If not, you can try looking behind the mirrors anyway or advance - to the end of the corridor and open the bronze doors.
We have a non-character-specific option to checkout the mirror, but I'm sure that doesn't apply as long as the Trickster is in the party. So the choices are either have the Trickster look at the mirror or ignore the mirrors.
Last edited by SGamerz on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I look.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

And regarding the snuffbox:
When you open it, each player rolls one Die. On a roll of 1 or 2, the player loses one Die Endurance. On a roll of 3 to 6, the player gains one Die Endurance.
Sounds like it affects all of us.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I trust the instincts of our honorable duelist. Examine away!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Shiritai wrote:And regarding the snuffbox:
When you open it, each player rolls one Die. On a roll of 1 or 2, the player loses one Die Endurance. On a roll of 3 to 6, the player gains one Die Endurance.
Sounds like it affects all of us.
*Slaps forehead*

You are correct, I totally misread that. Sorry, I have no idea how I managed to miss the word "each". :disgusted:

TRICKSTER:
You bend dose to each of the mirrors in turn, listening intently for any sound beyond. Gently tapping one with your fingers, you hear a slight movement as if something was lurking behind it, perhaps even waiting in the darkness to ambush you. You tap each of the other mirrors in turn and hear the same rustling sound behind each of them except one. Examining the gilt frame of this mirror, you find a concealed catch which, when flicked down, allows the mirror to swing away from the wall. Behind it, a low tunnel leads off at an oblique angle to the corridor in which you stand.
This is where the path branches. Choosing not to look at the mirrors at all would have brought us on to a completely different path. The Trickster does save the party from a 3/4 chance of being ambushed by undead if they'd tried to inspect the mirrors without him (and the party would be forced to take the mirror route after that, too).
You scramble along a low tunnel that leads off the red-carpeted corridor. The tunnel seems very old, as if hewn from the bedrock of the Keep above many hundreds of years before. After a while it enlarges a little, but you still have to crouch slightly as you advance up a twisting flight of rock-cut steps and then begin to descend a long pebble-strewn ramp. At last you reach the end. A grille is set into the floor. Looking down, you see a corridor of grey marble which ends in a bronze-bound door. The grille you're looking through is set in the ceiling.

There is the sound of a key being turned, then the bronze door slowly swings open. Four burly Barbarians stride forwards, slamming the door behind them. Apparently not noticing the grille in the ceiling, they stop directly beneath you and consult a scrap of parchment.

'What's it say, Erek?' mutters one.

'Well, I'm not sure, Snorri,' says the fellow with the parchment, scratching fleas out of his hair. 'I can't read, can I?'

'By Muninn and Huginn!' bellows a red-bearded ox of a man. 'Have you no learning, Erek?' He snatches the parchment and peers at it. 'Well, it says . . . it says . . . I reckon it says one of the passages up ahead is a dead end. But what do you want to listen to a bit of parchment for? The only way to find out for sure is to see for ourselves . ..'

They are about to move on. If you want to dislodge the grating and jump down to attack them, turn to 6. If you stay where you are and watch what they do next, turn to 141.
Attack or not? (Battle Order has been switched to default, btw).

Also, Enchanter still has White Fire called to mind atm. Let me know if you wish to dismiss/change it. Till then, your Psychic score is at 7.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Half a vote for letting Kalugen's cheating bastards check out the trap. Also, it was neat of that guy to invoke Huginn and Muninn in defense of ignorance.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Wait and watch.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Wait, and Pepito tells the rest of the party the results of his visions.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Yeah, wait and see.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Since nobody else said anything about the Snuffbox, Reed will carry it.
The Barbarians swagger off down the corridor, discussing all the ale they'll be able to buy with their loot once they have won the contest. You smile wryly, muttering under your breath that this is a clear case of counting one's chickens ...

If you have a Sage in the party, this might be a good time for him or her to try an ESP scan of the vicinity. If you want to do this, the Sage chooses to turn to either 297 or 448 to represent the ESP's chance of failure.

If there is no Sage in the party, you can dislodge the grille and drop down to follow the Barbarians, or wait where you are, watching through the grille.
There doesn't seem to be any negative consequences to having the Sage try ESP.....but either way, the Sage needs to make a decision here, either picking a random number to determine his success or choosing not to use it at all.

Note that dropping down the grille here isn't the same section as the previous option. The previous one leads to attacking, this one just leads to following them.
Last edited by SGamerz on Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

This time I'll guess the lower number.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

SAGE:
[You have failed to concentrate your mind sufficiently to make contact with the planes beyond, and you are none the wiser as to what lies ahead of you.]
You now have two options.

If you want to wait here watching through the grille, turn to 73. If you want to jump down and follow the Barbarians, turn to 477.
Do we follow?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

My instinct is to follow them fairly closely. Waiting is usually a good option when offered, but taking a second consecutive wait option frequently gets you berated for hesitancy.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

^ This.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

^^ This.
I'll be barfing out my lungs and pretending it's spring somewhere between Georgetown and the Armories for 24+ hours. I'll post asap upon return.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

^ That.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You pull the grille free easily and drop quietly to the passage floor. You creep along the way the Barbarians went, though they're now not in sight. You come to a point where the corridor splits in two. You can go left, down a black marble passage, or right, down a white marble passage.
For some reason, the party can't seem to keep track of a noisy bunch of barbarians. For all of their diversity in skills, none of them seem to be good at tracking.

Left or right? Black or White?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

This is basically a blind choice. The colors could be a clue or a bluff, and although the book has played very straight with us so far, my gut says bluff. Go left/black.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

May as well go left.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Given the circumstances, have I ever not voted left?