[Let's Play] Blood Sword I - The Battlepits of Krarth

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Pepito will stuff his face and then talk.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Pepito will stuff his face and then talk.
Already taken a meal after the last battle. Unlike FF, the PC can't just regain back all his END by gorging himself sick in one go. We're limited to 1 meal (and therefore 1 END) after each battle, according to the text.

The party approach the hags:
'Well now, weird sisters, what are you doing?' you ask, almost retching at the sight of their snaggle-toothed gums when they grin up at you.

'Just our cooking,' says one, clattering the stone lid of her pot aside. A bilious aroma wafts up, stinging your eyes. The Hags all cackle madly at this.

Another of them scuttles over to accost you. 'Want a little taste?' She proffers a ladle dripping with steaming gruel.

'Wait a minute, the flavour's not quite right,' screeches another, dropping a decomposing hand into her bubbling cauldron.

If there is an Enchanter in the party, he or she could try to Enthral one of them in order to find out what they know about the dangers ahead. If so, turn to 283. If not, you could agree to sample their potions or you could enter the temple, walk around it to the left, or to the right.
Does the Enchanter want to try Mind-control here?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

My mind is mightier than most mere mortals; mind-control me some minions!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

ENCHANTER:
You call the Enthralment spell to mind. Several of the Hags watch you suspiciously. When you cast the spell, check to see if the Hag you're trying to enchant manages to resist - she has a Psychic Ability of seven. If you successfully Enthral her, turn to 374. If you fail, the Hag realises what you're up to and flings a pot of acid over you, causing the loss of one Endurance point. You can keep trying, losing one Endurance each time you fail, if you wish.

If you give up (or die, and other players are still alive), turn to 67.
No rolling required to cast (probably because we're outside combat), just rolling to see if the Hag resists it:

Dice Roll = 4 (Hag resists spell)

Second attempt: Dice = 7 (resists)

Third attempt: Dice = 10 (Success)

Reed has lost 2 END before he succeeds.

ENCHANTER:
The Hag is enslaved by your magic. 'Speak,' she says. 'Demand. I'll answer.'

You feel her natural stubbornness fighting your spell. You have time for only one question. What will you ask?

'What other adventurers have passed this way?'. 'What lies within the temple?'. 'Which of these potions are beneficial?'. 'What is the worst danger that awaits?'.
As usual, the Enchanter gets the final say on which question to ask, but the rest can of course voice their opinions.
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Hmm, asking about potions seems like the safest bet, but knowing if there's anything good in the temple would also be helpful. Thoughts?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The question is, do we actually benefit from knowing what's ahead? Or since we're on book-rails anyway, does that just tell us the number of the oncoming train? I think asking about the potions is most likely to yield useful info.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I'll choose potent potables.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Another vote for potions.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

'The green brew prepared by Gronga, is thought to be a restorative to human folk, though it is a poison to us Hags. The black concoction you will find in Buldea's pot is an extremely virulent poison - chimera's spittle - but it has a delayed effect and does not kill at once. Wynda's fizzing potion is an antidote to chimera spittle. Lift the lid of fat Jeela's cauldron and you will see the purulent green slime that has spelled the death of many a poor dupe. My own tasty tipple is called the elixir of chaos, for the simple reason that it has random effects on those who drink. Now, if you will excuse me, I think I feel your spell wearing off and I am now ready to mete out revenge.'

She grabs a ladle protruding from a nearby pot and lobs an acrid venom into your face. You lose one Endurance as the acid burns you. Seeing you ready to retaliate with magic, the Hag scurries off behind the temple.
Ouch. Enchanter down to 5 END.
You can now investigate the temple, take the left-hand path around it, take the right-hand path or try a potion.
We just went to the trouble of asking about the potions (and getting acid thrown on one of us for it), might as why try them out now that we know what's safe:
If there is a Sage present who would like to examine the potions, turn to 9. If not, which potion will you try? A bubbling green soup, a tarry black substance, an effervescent liquid, a slimy green concoction or a colourless brew?

(In a multi-player party, don't forget that someone must specify that he or she is the one sampling the potion.) For each potion you try you must part with two gold pieces. If you cannot pay, turn to 481.

I'm just going to save the Sage the trouble of voting here because:

SAGE:
[The green potion is a healing draught. The black potion is chimera spittle, a delayed-action poison. The effervescent liquid is an antidote to chimera spittle. The slimy green potion is deadly. You cannot identify the colourless liquid.]
It mostly just confirms what the hag told us (the question could probably have been better spent on another topic), which is why I didn't bother hiding it in spoiler text this time.

Who wants to taste the potions? Note that the Warrior is the only one carrying money now, but she has 30 gold, so it's almost enough for everyone to taste every potion if you want to.

I'm going to reveal something ahead about trying one of the potions, since this little bit of nonsensical detail kind of irks me. Putting this in spoiler text in case some of you don't want your votes to be influenced by this:
Logically, nobody would want to try the chimera spittle if they know in advance that it's a poison.....but unfortunately, the option to buy extra doses of it only comes up if we choose to take a taste. It's a slow-acting poison that kills us automatically 6 section later, but if we want to buy a bottle of it for later, the only way is to pay to taste it first, buy the poison, then pay to taste the antidote as well to remove the poison. Again, no realistic reason why a guy would want to taste it if he knows in advance that it's poison, but that's the way it is.
So who wants a drink? The rest of you can try to persuade Kiki to sponsor you, since she holds the purse-strings. :biggrin:
Last edited by SGamerz on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The bullshit there is that you'd think the Enchanter would have an inkling that he'd be able to identify the potions ahead of time.

Anyway, anyone who wants a taste of the good stuff is welcome to it. If someone wants to go the roundabout way to get a dose of poison, I'll fund them, but I won't do it myself because I suspect my honor code forbids it.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I guess we all drink the healing potion. If we decide to buy a bottle of chimera spittle, I volunteer to drink it (and the antidote, obvs) before healing, on account of me being the least likely to die from initial damage, if any.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I second Starmaker. May as well bring a bottle of poison along.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed on all counts.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Benedict takes a sip of the Black potion:
The following applies to whoever was drinking the liquid.

You quaff the vile brew. There is no immediate effect. 'You have to wait for the benefit of that one! Why not buy a bottle for later? Only three gold coins,' says a Hag.

If any other players wish to drink this potion - or buy a bottle - they may do so. It will take effect after six paragraphs, so keep track of the entries you turn to. When you are about to go to the sixth paragraph after this one, turn first to 144. Remember first to note down the paragraph number you are going to, as 144 will not direct you there.

If you want to try another potion, turn to 103. If you are anxious to be on your way, turn to 481.

As discussed, the party purchases a bottle of the chimera spittle for 3 gold. Of course, knowing what it does, the Trickster then takes a dose of the effervescent antidote:

The potion fizzes as it passes over your tongue. You notice no effect other than a chalky aftertaste. 'Don't you worry,' mutters the Hag. 'That's what it's meant to taste like. I can't always get the bat's entrails, you know. If you want to buy a bottle to drink later, that'll be two gold coins.' She cackles so hideously that you almost cover your ears.

If there are any other players who wish to drink the effervescent potion - or buy a bottle of it - they may do so. If you want to try another potion, turn to 103. If you don't want any more potions, turn to 481.

Do we want to buy a bottle of the antidote as well? While you guys decide, let's just get everyone healed with the green potion:

You feel a wave of energy coursing through your body. Increase your Endurance score to one point above its current maximum and, if you are wounded, restore your Endurance to this new maximum. (For example, if you are a second-rank Warrior you now have Endurance of thirteen.)

You are about to take a second draught, but the Hag squatting by the cauldron snatches the ladle from your hand. 'Only one draught per person,' she cackles. 'Otherwise it's poisonous, you see ...'

You cannot drink the same potion again. If there are any other players who would like to drink it and gain the same benefit, they can do so. Otherwise turn back to 103 and try a potion you have not yet sampled. If you don't want to try any more potions, turn to 481.
Obviously, no one is interested in the other poison (with no known antidote). Seems like no one wants to risk the random option, either.

Total cost incurred so far:

4 doses of healing potion: 8 gold.

1 dose of chimera spittle: 2 gold.

1 dose of antidote: 2 gold.

1 extra bottle of the poison: 3 gold.

Total: 15 gold (half of what we have)

If we buy a bottle of antidote, it'll cost us another 2 gold.
You can now enter the temple, walk around the temple along the left-hand path or go around to the right.
Finally we're all back to full health! Where to now? And do we want a bottle of antidote as well?

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 10
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 6
Endurance: 11/11
Damage: 1 Die+1

Items:
1 Sword
2 Chainmail armour (Armour Rating three)
3 Money pouch (15 gold pieces)
4 Opal Medallion
5- 8 Food (eat one for +1 EN after combat)
9 Octagonal glass prism
10 Empty slot.
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 6
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 13/13
Damage: 1 Die

Items:
1 Battleaxe
2 Breastplate (Armour Rating one)
3 Food (eat one for +1 EN after combat)
4 Bottle of Chimera Spittle
5-10 Empty slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 7
Damage: 1 Die

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
2 Ringmail armour (Armour Rating two)
3-10 Empty slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 0
Psychic Ability: 14
Damage: 1 Die-1

Items:
1 Sword
2 Silver armour (Armour Rating two)
3 Opal Medallion
4 Golden Snuffbox
5 Octagonal glass prism
6-7 Food (eat one for +1 EN after combat)
8-10 Empty slot
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Well, that heal pot was totally worth it. I'm inclined to not get antidote, if only because it's so specific, but maybe the dungeon has a Chimera ahead? (The hags have to get their spittle from somewhere, after all.)

As far as moving on, I don't favor circumnavigating the temple, I think it'll just expose us to more danger. Let's kick door.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Enter the temple.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Never mind the antidote, and enter the temple.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Into the temple we go (without buying the antidote)!
'By the picking of my nose,' says one of the Hags in a stage-whisper as you walk past them, 'someone gallant that way goes ...' To your disgust, they all break into peals of high-pitched laughter.

You climb the soot-smeared steps and enter the colonnade. The geyser-light does not penetrate in here, and for a few moments you are in stygian darkness. You are startled by blundering into a marble altar and, sweeping your hands along it, you find first a sharp knife (which you make take if you wish) and then a large stone urn. There is something warm and sticky filling the urn almost to the brim. With a shock you recognise it as blood.

As your eyes adjust to the gloom, a pale luminescent face appears before you. It is the face of a woman - not unhandsome, except for the greenish cast to her skin and the hissing serpents that are her hair. You need no Sage to tell you that this is Echidna, the Ophidian Lady, Mistress of Inescapable Coils, Lamia of the Veneficial Kiss, Mother of Hydrae. She is without doubt one of the most deadly of all demonkind.

If you wish to speak to her, turn to 408. If you attack without hesitation, turn to 129.
Talk or fight? Also, anybody wants to pick up the knife, speak up!
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I vote we attack (well, Benedict probably defends) before she makes us stab each other. And I'm not touching that knife.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I don't believe for a moment this pissant gladiator contest has Echidna on call for the amusement of the spectators. Totally an illusion; but what's it for? The way to go is figure out what response they're hoping to elicit and do the other thing. And since the text emphasizes her deadliness, I say 'let's whack her.'

I'll take the knife if no-one else wants it.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I have a lot of open slots so I'll gladly take the possibly-cursed knife. Pepito can just heal if it damages its wielder.

Also, I agree with angel: attack the probable illusion.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Attack the giant green floating head. Also I ready Nemesis Bolt.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I think it's the real Echidna, or at least a manifestation of the real Echidna. The upper level is relatively secure, but these dungeons are a walled-off monster-inhabited Point of Darkness which adventurers have to regularly clean up. Hence the need for the contest.

(And metagame-wise, this is the first volume in an experimental series that is designed to stand on its own. So there was a strong incentive for it to be epic, both to hook the players and to provide a sufficiently epic experience in case the series didn't happen.)

edit: also, I'm going to IRL Kalugen's Keep to have IRL epic adventures and will be gone for about 40 hours.
Last edited by Starmaker on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

There's a picture of Echidna in the book, although it's in another section of the book, I'll put it here anyway:
Attack!
Echidna slithers forwards across the marble floor to attack you. Her bite contains a strong poison, and anyone wounded by her rolls one Die: on a roll of 1 to 5 the poison does not flow into the wound, but on a roll of 6 the player must lose 3 Dice Endurance.

Echidna
Fighting Prowess: 8 Psychic Ability: 9
Awareness: 8 Damage per blow: 2 Dice+2
Armour Rating: 2 Endurance: 40

If you slay the demoness, turn to 253. If you flee, you run to either the left exit or to the right.
The scariest part is probably the Damage per blow. When she hits, she hits really hard, especially if the poison bit is triggered.

What's the strategy?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Yikes, apparently not just a head after all. Cast Nemesis Bolt, ready Nemesis Bolt, repeat until done.