[IC]Princes of the City

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

[IC]Princes of the City

Post by Ancient History »

Juneau, Alaska
23 March 2015
Two hours after sunset

The winter is over, and spring has come at last - though the nights have not yet begun to grow shorter, you can feel the seasons shift. There was little snow this winter, and so fewer secrets to be revealed in the the thaws. You look forward to many such turns of the cycle...

As you make your way to the Juneau Arts & Communities Council building, you pick up the chatter of the kine, from their televisions and bluetooth conversations, from scattered headlines and billboards... a break-in at the Sealaska Heritage Institute, human traffickers arrested operating under the cover of a cruise line, a federal recall of beef suspected to be contaminated with bovine encephalitis, a small scandal involving a male prostitute and members of the city government...some of those may have to be dealt with.

But more pressing business attends tonight. You have guests.

Elysium is crowded tonight. All of the elders of the city have gathered here, to discuss the business of the evening - including four faces, two of which are familiar to you.

The linebacker dressed in black is Tibiru, grey snakes of ink poking out from beneath the tailored silk suit - a member of the Змей, a Siberian branch of the reclusive Tzimisce clan with ties to the Russian Vory v zakone - indeed, it is said that their elders were born in the Siberian gulags, and are still there, safe behind prison walls... Tibiru is a regular itinerant the last six months, frequently coming back and forth from Russia to see to Змей's business interests. He has never challenged your authority, and is always scrupulous about following the rules. You are all here in part because he has asked to make a formal request of the Prince.

Beside Tibiru and sticking close, dressed in a less-well fitting suit, a human ghoul. The sides of his head are shaved, with the hair on top grown back and allowed to hang loose. His ears are pierced, with those plugs that the kine seem to find attractive these days, and his scalp is branded and incised with swirling serpent-patterns evocative of the Native Alaskan art motifs. When he opens his mouth, you can see that his canines have been replaced with veritable fangs - not those of a vampire, but ivory incisors, some sort of dental implant. You can smell the anxiousness wafting off him, like a dog that needs to be let out to pee and yet is afraid to tell its master.

In a corner is a hunched, gaunt figure in jeans and a buckskin jacket that hangs down to his knees; even though he is inside he wears thick rawhide gloves, and a shapeless stetson pulled down over his head. That and the earthy odor mark him as the one called Tracker - a wandering Gangrel that has been traveling in and around Alaska since the 1800s, rarely staying in any town for more than a few days. His movements are quick, furtive, but purposeful, and you see the signs of past frenzies upon him - his nose has narrowed down to a bony beak, while his eyes have widened, and his snow-white hair has grown feathery; looking at him straight on, he resembles a human owl, and the strange bulge of his clothing suggests that hidden beneath are more extensive changes. As with Tibiru, he follows the rules and keeps a low profile.

The final newcomer is strange to your eyes - an older black man, head shaved, face wrinkled, eyes concealed by dark sunglasses, dressed in a grey pinstripe suit and carrying a crocodile-skin suitcase. He carries a long cane, and appears to be primarily listening. When he smiles, you can see that his front teeth have all been replaced by gold, even his canines, which are dull. Yet he does not breathe, or give any other sign of life, and when he moves it is with the sureness and ease of one of the Kindred.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Seth will retroactively have done some research on Tibiru just after hearing about the request for a meeting (investigation 3, intelligence 5). He would also try to figure out what it is likely to about (intuition 3, intelligence 5, meticulous planner merit).

Right now, he'll stay silent, but keep an eye on everyone present. (Alertness 2, Perception 3) and (Intuition 3, Perception 3).
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Question for the group- do we want to disallow weapons in Elysium? I don't know what the typical rules for Elysiums are, and I'm away from my books, and I don't recall this coming up pre-game.

If we decide weapons are disallowed in Elysium, Kel will ask to see the newcomer's cane, so he can examine it for concealed weapons.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

Ia has prepared for the meeting as he does most nights. He's calmed his beast with Armor of Diamond Serenity and he has Incorporeal Passage triggered to go off if he takes a health box of damage. He will have spoken to Max before arriving and asked Max to inform him of whatever he senses
mystically.

Ia doesn't speak, as to him it should be the Prince who signals the beginning of the meeting. He does study their guests of course. Silently he pities the ghoul, and worries for the Gangrel. He is intrigued by the fellow older Kindred with a cane. He will attempt to make an educated guess in regards to the gentlemen's Clan. [Intelligence 4(Analyzing)+Occult 5]

He'll stand off to the side, leaning on his crutch and simply observe like Seth. [Perception 2, Alertness 3] Especially for any omens. [Perception 2, Occult 5]

OOC:
If we don't allow weapons I will have a backup crutch without a blade. Also if we have that law we would want to institute search measures before anyone even came in. Metal detectors, one of the ghouls frisking people/wanding them, bomb sniffers(good idea regardless) etc. Personally Id say that's the Sheriff's call. If you wanted that law, I don't think anyone would block Kel from doing it.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak wrote:Question for the group- do we want to disallow weapons in Elysium? I don't know what the typical rules for Elysiums are, and I'm away from my books, and I don't recall this coming up pre-game.

If we decide weapons are disallowed in Elysium, Kel will ask to see the newcomer's cane, so he can examine it for concealed weapons.
I'd suggest an honor system. Kel should ask them if they're carrying weapons and take them at their word. Of course, Verge is also using An Ear for Lies to determine if they're being honest or not. If they're not being honest, Verge informs Kel telepathically. It's more subtle that way, less likely to provoke offense, and pretty much undetectable if someone is lying. It's always good when they don't know that we know.

The preferable weapon policy isn't a blanket disallowal, though. It's banning the possession of weapons by everyone except those explicitly authorized, which would be the Prince, the Primogen, and their authorized bodyguards if any.

In other words, only the foreigners get disarmed.

This is an appropriate show of power. This is our territory, if you want to come in you must place yourselves at our mercy.

Also, we want to demonstrate unity, which means not frisking each other. A lack of trust would show weakness.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, I mean I assumed that regardless of what rules we set forth we'd all be packing because "it's our town, bitches." If you want that to be explicit that's cool too.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak wrote:Well, I mean I assumed that regardless of what rules we set forth we'd all be packing because "it's our town, bitches." If you want that to be explicit that's cool too.
If you smuggle weapons into your Elysium then you're a liar and an oathbreaker and can't be trusted, even more so if it's your own Elysium and you promised that there would be no weapons.

If you're upfront about being armed, because it's your Elysium and you set the rules, then you're just suitably hypocritical, as anyone with power should be.

They follow our rules and we promise them safety from us. That's the deal. That's the way this works. If we go behind their backs and make them less safe by smuggling weapons into a no weapons allowed Elyssium that's a betrayal of that basic agreement. On the other hand, if we're open about it that's just a reminder that their safety is conditional on not pissing us off. They're safe so long as we choose not to harm them, and they can trust us even if we're armed because we'll keep to our oaths and duties until they free us from them by stepping out of line, at which point retribution will be swift.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Gotcha, I just figured the latter was the basic assumption in courts.

So "Weapons only for those explicitly allowed to have them" Y/N? Guys?

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

IC: Verge shows up fashionably late, just enough for it to be noticable.

He's chosen this night, because it is a formal occasions, to wear a puffy shirt, which he wears more like Seinfeld than Prince, and a matching purple jacket, which he drapes over a chair before greeting the guests.

He gives a broad smile and crosses his right arm over his chest, giving the guests a deep bow. "Greetings, friends, and welcome. Tibru, this is a wonderful surprise. It's wonderful to see you again. Is there anything I can get for you? Hors d'oeuvre? Snacks? A virgin perhaps?"

He glances at the ghoul. "Or a bowl of food for your companion? I hope he's feeling alright. He seems a bit agitated."

Verge gives Tibru a smile and turns to the Gangrel in leather. "And Tracker, it's always a pleasure. If you need anything don't hesitate, tonight, what's mine is yours. We really should sit down for a chat later."

Finally, he turns to the dark-skiined newcommer and "You, I do not know. It's always night to see a new face. They're so rare around here. " Verge extends his right hand to the vampire. " I am Virgil Caldwell, and I is a pleasure to make your acquaintance tonight.

Verge also takes the opportunity to read the Newcomers' Auras.

OOC:
Prak wrote:Gotcha, I just figured the latter was the basic assumption in courts.

Generally speaking, only the Sheriff and his hounds would have weapons in Elysium. Elysium is a place for Kindred to let down their guards and talk shit.

This will often result in a newly released neonate with a bit more courage than common sense being utterly annihilated by the Elder he gravely insulted as soon as he steps off grounds, but the fact that all violence is barred is the primary feature. It's to let kindred relax and and socialize with each other without worrying that a badly chosen remark would result in sudden violence.

Everyone who is allowed to carry a weapon in Elysium, thus, is someone who is explicitly trusted by the Prince to use it responsibly, and to refrain from letting their tempers control their actions.

Trust is the key component there. It suggests that we can let our guards down around with other while we're all armed.

Of course, after a certain point, weapons are just a detriment to the Kindred. Certain Disciplines become more dangerous than guns rather quickly.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Before the meeting, Seth will have sent everyone a text message based on some basic research:
Tibiru's "visits" have been growing more frequent, and longer in length indicating that his business interests in the area are increasing. Since Tzimisce typically dislike leaving their native soil for long periods of time, it's likely that Tibiru's looking to some form of permanent establishment for the Змей in Juneau.
OoC: Weapons only for people given permission sounds fine by me.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

(Max won't actually be using Sense the Mystical quite yet given that it requires wandering around with a candle and is thus a pinch rude in polite vampire society. It's mostly just awesome for rifling through people's lairs while unattended.)

Max will remain seated and allow others to take the lead for now. He's dressed informally in a type B-3 bomber jacket, hiking boots and black corduroy pants. He isn't armed aside from a concealed butterfly knife.

OOC:
N.

Max would argue for a permissive weapons policy on the following grounds:

1. Between fangs and disciplines vampires can rarely be called "disarmed."

2. Any firm rule we set in place is a rule we must be prepared to enforce. I'd rather not put ourselves in the position where bearing arms is a savvy way to embarrass us without doing anything that seems to really merit draconian punishment in the eyes of outsiders. When we punish people, I want other vampires to unequivocally roll their eyes and say "Well, what did they think was going to happen?"
bears fall, everyone dies
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

OoC: Whipstitch makes sense. I'll revise my vote to a don't care weapons policy.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Edit: This obviously only occurs after any potential security escalation.

A hooded, shuffling attendant kneels before the assembly before producing a tablet from underneath their coat. On the display is an image of Stan.

"If I may have your attention for a moment, I would like to extend not only my hopes that this Night finds you well, but my apologies for the locale. Construction on the adjacent Willoughby Arts Complex has proven to lag behind our projected timeline. It is some small solace that we will be presenting a fall colloquium on flensing to commemorate the grand opening of our new Elysium, featuring the foreman responsible for the delay.

The briefest of delays keeps me from attending upon you personally. My man can see to any requests you may have, and I hope to join you within moments. Please retire at your leisure to the auditorium, where Her Majesty the Prince will receive you shortly."

The attendant rises, moves to open a set of double doors, and stands deferentially to the side.

(Abstain from vote on weapons policy)
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

OOC:
I think perhaps when we think "weapons" we aren't all thinking the same thing. Weapons includes explosives. Flamethrowers. Sure there are some amazing disciplines but that doesn't mean we should be allowing people to walk in wearing suicide vests. Perhaps a ban on certain items.

Getting caught breaking a rule is a chance for us to embarass them. Not the other way around. Slipping a knife into Elysium doesn't have to warrant Final Death. Being permissive is a way for them to embarass us. If they do something that makes us look dumb but doesn't break any rules then they outsmarted us. We should have the power in Elysium. Even if it is symbolic that's important. If there are no rules then they can have ghouls with dragon's breath rounds and stuff walking into our Elysium which makes us look pretty stupid. Because at that point was is the point of Elysium?

So I say yes ban weapons but we can decide what those weapons are.
Last edited by Shady314 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Shady314 wrote:OOC:
I think perhaps when we think "weapons" we aren't all thinking the same thing. Weapons includes explosives. Flamethrowers. Sure there are some amazing disciplines but that doesn't mean we should be allowing people to walk in wearing suicide vests. Perhaps a ban on certain items.

Getting caught breaking a rule is a chance for us to embarass them. Not the other way around. Slipping a knife into Elysium doesn't have to warrant Final Death. Being permissive is a way for them to embarass us. If they do something that makes us look dumb but doesn't break any rules then they outsmarted us. We should have the power in Elysium. Even if it is symbolic that's important. If there are no rules then they can have ghouls with dragon's breath rounds and stuff walking into our Elysium which makes us look pretty stupid. Because at that point was is the point of Elysium?

So I say yes ban weapons but we can decide what those weapons are.
Indeed. The punishment for disrupting the peace of an Elysium is generally getting kicked out of the Elysium, quite publicly. It's embarrassing, but not lethal. Repeat offenders might be permanently barred from it, destroying their social lives in the city. The Final Death tends to be reserved for more massive things, like trying to overthrow the Prince, or telling a news reporter that Vampires are real, or siring someone without permission.
Also, the permission caveat meant means that at any time the Prince can simply grant permission, if overlooking a violation is necessary.

But personally, I see it as a way to gain information. If they bring something dangerous with them, and we ask about it, then we know that they have it, even if they lie and we don't know what it is.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

OoC:
At the risk of flip flopping repeatedly, I'll abstain a vote for now.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, let's figure "No weapons, save for those people and items allowed by Prince. Kel's "weapon" is a furry mountain you could almost call a bear, but he'd probably carry a gun as more of a symbol of being the Sheriff.

This sort of rule gives us the opportunity to know what people have when we ask them, and whether they are trustworthy when we're watching for them to lie when answering. I'm not concerned about small knives, but I'd rather not have a silver sword pulled on me out of the blue because New Guy thinks sword canes are cute.
Kel arrived the night before to give him plenty of time to move Major Ursula in under cover of darkness. She lays down in a corner, far enough away to be underestimated, but close enough to be called easily.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Silver doesn't really do anything if you're not a werewolf, actually. Also, mark it down: Max will totally be running around with a feathered sword cane featuring a serpent motif at some point.
bears fall, everyone dies
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, damn divergent vampire myth shit. I can't keep stuff straight.

That's why I'm pan.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Dressed in her expensive business suit as usual for Kindred matters, the Prince Suzanne sits, feigning disinterest for some time. Eventually, when everyone is gathered, she looks over all assembled.

"Well, we can commence business for Elysium. Tibiru, you have asked for audience with us. First, I ask if anyone has an emergency to declare? This is time to speak, if not, the floor is yours, Tibiru."

She's not expecting anyone to declare a huge problem, but it's always a possibility, so this has become the standard beginning.
I like the idea of "You can bring any weapon that I say you can. Otherwise you can't."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Stan quietly slips into the auditorium.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Tibiru bows at the neck to Suzanne, and all eyes are on him as he addresses the assembly.

"I am Tibiru, childe of Gregori, childe of Sachya the Rus, childe of Senchin the Mongol, childe of Arya of the Steppes, childe of Memnon of the Eastern Mountains, childe of Simonas of Byzantium, childe of Eriku, childe of Tzimisce, grandchilde of Caine." He pauses a moment. "As you know, my trips to your domain have become longer and more frequent of late; the interests of my sect in your city have grown, and demanded more time. However, it is not appropriate for me to request permanent residence in this city.

He makes a motion with his hand, and his companion steps forward, sweating slightly, and drops to one knee, head bowed toward Suzanne. "This is Andrew Vlacha, my ghoul and an associate of my sect who handles business in my absence. As our needs have grown in other areas, I feel that I must ask more of him here, while my attention is given elsewhere. I beg permission from you, Prince of Juneau, to give to him the embrace and add him to my lineage, to dwell in your city in strict accordance with your laws, to manage our affairs in my place."

Having finished his speech. Tibiru awaits your response.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, so I guess we can assume that Kel would have checked everyone coming in, asking about weapons, magical talismans, etc. with Verge double checking truthiness with Telepathy.

Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

Ia will move over and lean to whisper in the Prince's ear.
[Manipulation 3 +Subterfuge 3 to avoid being heard?]

My Prince, if you decide to allow his embrace then his loyalty as Kindred will be split between you and his master. May I suggest a simple tribute. A symbolic gesture of his willingness to sacrifice on your behalf as surely as he would for his Sire. Any object of personal value to him that he carries.
Assuming you find it prudent to allow his embrace.

Ia doesn't bother whispering the words allow his embrace, then shuffles back to the side.

OOC:
Then I can scry him.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Feeling that something isn't quite right, Verge takes a look at their auras.
[Perception 4, Empathy 5]
Last edited by hyzmarca on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.