Converting ACKS Domains to 3e

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

virgil wrote:Well, if you use this site as a jumping off point, we have the patrols ranging from .33% to .67%+ and lawyers/advocates in the .15% range.

You could therefore not be wildly out of line to say that the patrols are roughly half the size of the garrison, but tied to degree of Taxation rather than degree of Civilization; .5% for Free Peasants, 1% for Tenants/Serfs, 2.5% for Oppressed Serfs.
I wouldn't use that as a jumping off point because it's completely insane. Talking about population density where you include uninhabited areas is basically meaningless gibberish. The population density of the United States is about 85 people per square mile, but that's including all the wilderness in Alaska and deserts in Nevada as part of the denominator. The hundred people per square mile of medieval France includes the fact that France owns some forests and mountains and shit. It's a completely meaningless statistic when trying to figure out what should be possible for an individual hex.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I wasn't using the site for population density statistics, but vague inspiration for job ratios within a given population as it relates to the city guard. Your talk of patrols seem to be separate from the garrison, which I took to mean that you have a military force to protect the community from outside threats (garrison) and a separate force to keep the peace and quell tax riots (patrols).
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Hey Frank, it's been a few months. May we look at the notes you had on your computer, either here or, because retyping stuff is a pain, through some sort of document download?
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Hicks wrote:Hey Frank, it's been a few months. May we look at the notes you had on your computer, either here or, because retyping stuff is a pain, through some sort of document download?
I intend to be doing some more writing now that I'm not working in a distant hospital and staying in hospital accommodation. But I still worked 16 of the last 18 days and I'll be working 13 hours a day for the next three days. So um... I'll be putting up some more stuff. Just not for a little bit.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So I got some more time on my hands and I've been thinking about this thing a bit more. The fundamental issue for domain management is a mismatch in detail to what the story being told is about. That players will want to have the level detail be at the "sweet spot" for dealing with their domain, but not only are individual players more and less interested in the domain management minigame in the first place but the actual size of the domain is going to vary wildly from game to game.

So while it's sometimes going to be important to track how much surplus koku individual hexes produce so that you can determine population maximums for cities - sometimes it simply isn't. Sometimes you don't really care what the population of a city is, you just want to know if it's big enough to support a level 3 Market.

What this means is that detail has to scale up and down pretty severely. One of those ways is with the buildings themselves. Castles come in levels which have costs, and you can bust open the Stronghold rules to customize your fortresses or make ones that have intermediate costs because you want them to have specific rooms or defenses if you want.

And one of the main places that I think things can be simplified is vassalage. As a Count, you could have various Baronies that are in your domain but are run by NPCs. Those Baronies could simply owe standardized taxes with maybe a couple variables. The specific number of farms or tax rates of the NPC Baronies can be left vague and undefined because the players don't really interact with it. The Baron owes some sort of "baron dues" and you put those in a santa sack and have done with it.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Would something like "scaling" the hexes, such that a "Barony" is the typical 6mi hex; but a "County" is one hex size scale larger (and includes several baronies), work to simplify the scaling?

One of the things from the old TSR Worldbuilder's Guidebook that I recall was that the hexes for the various scales of map were the same size on the paper, but their scale on the map changed as one moved from Globe scale, then to a triangular segment of said globe map, and finally three more graduations of regional maps.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I think from the standpoint of scaling things, that Baronies would be a number of hexes to add up to a reasonable population/tax base. So high fertility Baronies with a lot of people in them could be literally one hex, while Baronies in the howling wastes could be lots of hexes. The idea is that once you scale up to the point where you don't really care where the Barons have individual villages or whatever, you really honestly don't care. The thing you care about at that point is getting your taxes and levies every year. And when your domain gets big enough that you have multiple Counts underneath you, you really don't much care that the forested County is physically more hexes than the river flats County.

Basically the thing that Crusader Kings does where you delegate control of regions and then stop having to deal with their day to day affairs and just get gold and levies from them is something that the table top game needs to do as well.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I see, so something where hexes of the same geographical type are classified as contiguous regions, but the size of those regions is dependent upon the relative strategic-political value of said regions. With the less productive regions possibly being dozens of hexes, but a thriving metropolis is a single hex; and both are only controlled by the local Satrap/Yourmum/Count.

That's a really good way to make thinking about the management of regions easier, while allowing said regions to organically conform to the geography of the map.

It would also allow for the assignment of political regions to mirror reality more accurately in terms of people caring about controlling rivers and cities in a desert, but ignoring the currently useless expanses of sand that surround them. While sovereign borders haven't used this sort of political boundary system since the bronze age, we can see a similar situation in the boundaries of Daesh today.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Have the kingdom management system work like the Stronghold/Covenant rules? At a certain level, you get a 'kingdom' under your control. If you want to be hands off, you're given a list of stats that can fit on a M:tG card (including flavour text). And whenever you use your kingdom-scale abilities, they can influence at least one of those stats. If you're wanting to change the base template, you can open up the detailed kingdom management rules to switch out a cobbler (covers consumables for living population) for a mortuary (adds mindless undead to garrison). A single 'barony' covers X amount of koku production, with descriptors determining how many hexes it covers and the standard demographics of your garrison/militia. You can allocate specific resources by individual hex, or just note your newly recruited 'druid' on one barony and increase koku production by 50%, or just acknowledge that you have a druid and in 2-5 years add another 500 human infantry to your military.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So a bit more on this subject.

First of all, I ran into a real neat piece of research into population density and city area in the medieval world. TL;DR: city density increases with city population. Which means that even though cities vary in population by a couple orders of magnitude, the land area they take up is considerably more uniform.

So the 10 kilometer hex has 83 thousand hectares in it, and a shit city like Bristol (10k inhabitants) is like 130 hectares - which is a trivial amount. But a really big city like Paris (200k inhabitants) clocked in at like 650 hectares - which is still a trivial amount. So cities of pretty much any size still leave footprints on the hex that are just rounding errors on the amount of available farmland.

This means that the assumption that holdings do not meaningfully affect the agricultural output of hexes is actually pretty decent. There are roads and castles and temples and shit, and none of them need to be chopped out of arable land equations. The two questions can be answered separately.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Anyway, on the tiers and zoom levels. An RPG is inherently fractal, where the scope of the story can be the budget of a household or the budget of an interdimensional empire or anything in between. Sometimes both of those things one after the other.

There are of course villages. Characters in RPGs interact with villages all the time, and often start doing so at first level. A hex that has any population in it would be assumed to have a village in it somewhere. Characters who interact within the hex would normally interact with the village at some point. Villages have businesses in them like taverns and smiths, and characters can interact with them and own them and make money off them and invest in them and shit when interacting at that scale. But when you start concerning yourself with owning hexes, those sorts of businesses become irrelevant. A hex cares about the number of farms and the productivity, but the fact that some people in the hex are wainwrights or whatever the fuck does not matter.

Then there are major holdings. You can adventure inside a city. Conquering or defending a castle or temple can be an entire adventure. There are things you care about inside major holdings like grooms of the stables and guilds in the towns and such that aren't going to matter at a larger scale. The key thing is that when you zoom out, you're going to notice big improvements but not small improvements. Significantly, a city is going to have guilds in it and all of those guilds are going to start at a local level that you don't care about at a larger scale. Guilds can become more powerful, and become Regional or National in scope.

When you are talking about conquering Baronies, you're concerned about whole hexes, because a typical Barony is 3-5 hexes. At that scope you care about major holdings in hexes (castles, cities, temples, mines, etc.), but you don't care one way or the other about minor holdings such as individual farms. A hex with farms and villages and whatever in it simply has a fertility, a number of farms, and a tax rate. A wilderness hex has the same thing except the number of farms is zero and it doesn't matter what the tax rate is. Baronies therefore take a money loss on wilderness hexes because they have to patrol them (which costs money and koku) to keep them from being sources of banditry, but they don't actually draw any resources from them. At the level of a Barony, a city's regional guilds will matter, but the local guilds will vanish from the account sheet.

A County has 20-50 hexes, which means that it will probably have several wilderness hexes but also several major holdings. At the County level, you don't assign patrols to individual hexes, you have a military level you need to attain a law level throughout and it's multiplied by the number of hexes involved. Here you still care about Regional guilds, but you don't care about towns or forts. That is, the lowest level of major holdings just don't matter at this scale. Only cities with 10,000+ population and castles with the ability to project force are even tracked.

The typical Kingdom is made of 1000 hexes or more, which means that you don't actually care about what happens in individual hexes. Counties have an overall development level and they kick taxes up to the rulers based on that. Even Regional Guilds are just ignored (they are part of the development level of the County), and you concern yourself with National Guilds and only advanced holdings like capitals. At the Kingdom level you are more interested in whether you have access to resources or not, rather than what the specific income or outlay of various roads and forts are. So you still track sources of trade goods and what races you have living in your territory (because it determines what you can buy without spending extra on imports and mercenaries).

-Username17
mlangsdorf
Master

Post by mlangsdorf »

You're still using 6 miles across hexes for this? Because that makes your 1000 hex kingdom roughly 200 miles by 200 miles (ideally, it could be 150 by 240 or whatever) which is a not insane number for a small kingdom.

But a kingdom that spans 40,000 square miles still really cares where its forts and major roads, because that determines where you can quickly and easily move large masses of troops and defend against invasions.

If the Evil Centaurs are charging up the through the Sylwood and your nearest fortifications are 50 miles away and the closest metaled road doesn't come within 30 miles, then you're probably losing all your Sylwood borderland hexes because the centaurs conquered them before your troops could make an effective defense. Where when the Bad Dwarves march out of the mountains to your border fortress that is supplied by a major road, they pretty much have to stop there and besiege it, even though the garrison isn't large enough to defeat them in an open field battle.

The PCs in my fantasy Mass Combat game control 75+ of my game's zone of control hexes (which are 50 miles face to face) and a major issue in the game right now is that only avenues of attack for enemy forces is across a pair of heavily defended river crossings, and thus the enemy is having to put his assault plans on hold while he extends a road to the point where they can outflank the river defenses without starving. But the enemy also has forts on their ends of the crossings, so the PCs have to figure out a way to break the strategic logjam before the enemy completes the road in a few months.

I think you're losing track of important details 1-2 levels of zoom too early.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

mlangsdorf wrote:You're still using 6 miles across hexes for this? Because that makes your 1000 hex kingdom roughly 200 miles by 200 miles (ideally, it could be 150 by 240 or whatever) which is a not insane number for a small kingdom.
Well, I'm going metric so those are hexagons that are 10 kilometers across the short way and 11.5 kilometers across corner to corner. But yes. And yes, that means that your typical 1000 hex basic kingdom is slightly bigger than Ireland. The actual Republic of Ireland today is 846 hexes and is made up of 26 Counties. The island of Ireland is 32 counties and 1,013 hexes. Honestly, that seems about right.
But a kingdom that spans 40,000 square miles still really cares where its forts and major roads, because that determines where you can quickly and easily move large masses of troops and defend against invasions.
I'll grant that you care what County the grand temple of Lolth is in. And you care where the major cities are. And you care which counties you can lose before your strategic access to black lotus is cut off. But I submit that if you are managing a kingdom then the exact placement of roads and towns and minor forts and shit can and should be abstracted. Your kingdom is going to have various assassin cults and barrel making guilds and shit all over the place, and it would be really boring to try to track it all on a per-hex standpoint.
If the Evil Centaurs are charging up the through the Sylwood and your nearest fortifications are 50 miles away and the closest metaled road doesn't come within 30 miles, then you're probably losing all your Sylwood borderland hexes because the centaurs conquered them before your troops could make an effective defense. Where when the Bad Dwarves march out of the mountains to your border fortress that is supplied by a major road, they pretty much have to stop there and besiege it, even though the garrison isn't large enough to defeat them in an open field battle.
On the county level and below, you are welcome to care about how close the road passes to the Sylwood. At the kingdom level, you are essentially dealing in big damn hexes that are like two and a half thousand square kilometers instead of 83. On the Imperial map, individual kingdoms are divided into provinces.

Now it's important to be able to generate this shit if for some reason we start zooming in on a particular Barony and people start wanting to fight hex by hex again. Which could totally happen, because it's a role playing game. And you'd do that by looking at the county's defense and development level and figuring out how close they have some kind of fort to the Sylwood. If it's a high defense level, you probably have watch towers all around the Sylwood and those centaurs are going to provoke warning signals being sent along the towers before they even leave the shelter of the trees.
The PCs in my fantasy Mass Combat game control 75+ of my game's zone of control hexes (which are 50 miles face to face) and a major issue in the game right now is that only avenues of attack for enemy forces is across a pair of heavily defended river crossings, and thus the enemy is having to put his assault plans on hold while he extends a road to the point where they can outflank the river defenses without starving. But the enemy also has forts on their ends of the crossings, so the PCs have to figure out a way to break the strategic logjam before the enemy completes the road in a few months.
The problem I have with hexes that are 80 kilometers across is that the distance from London to Windsor Castle is roughly half of that. If your hexes default to 5000 square kilometer things, then they are pretty much useless for actually placing things in relation to each other.
The second and perhaps equally important issue is that infantry typically travels at 30 kilometers a day if they have roads or trails and less than half that if they going cross country. If you have to track where armies are in hexes because it takes them three days or more to cross them, then you might as well have smaller hexes. Indeed, you basically do have smaller hexes, because otherwise how do you go about figuring out where people are or how they get anywhere?

10 kilometers is a good amount because it means that infantry travels 3 hexes per day in good conditions, 2 hexes in poor conditions, and only 1 hex in very poor conditions. But each day of troop movement ends with the troops in a different hex. Also good for the exploration game, because the player characters are again camping each night in a different hex.
I think you're losing track of important details 1-2 levels of zoom too early.
I could certainly be persuaded to that effect.

But let's do a thought experiment: you own the county of Tookenshire, a primarily Halfling county that is mostly agrarian. At the hex level, it is a total of 40 hexes, 8 of which are wilderness and the other 32 are partially or fully cultivated. It has fifteen thousand farms in it. Are you honestly telling me that you think that the villages and small towns of the Tookenshire should be itemized when figuring out the tax revenues and investments of the county?

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Should scale size to basic currency? Like, copper pieces will handle most trade at a village, silver in a town, gold in a city, platinum in a kingdom, etc.?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

AncientHistory wrote:Should scale size to basic currency? Like, copper pieces will handle most trade at a village, silver in a town, gold in a city, platinum in a kingdom, etc.?
At the level you're caring about farm output, you can mostly concern yourself about Gold, because it's already aggregated across the year. Yes, for individual farmers they are trading a Copper Piece for about 500 calories of cooked food, but over the whole year that's about 1200 Copper Pieces per person - at which point the ledgers that the player characters care about might as well denominate that in gold. It's 12 Gold worth of inputs to feed a peasant for a year, 24 Gold worth of inputs to feed a specialist, and 36 Gold worth of inputs to feed a soldier. And yes, the actual experience of this is Copper pieces and horse shoes being exchanged for bowls of soup and crusty bread - but when you care about the year, you might as well aggregate it to Gold.

Now at the level of owning an entire Hex with a major holding and some farms in it goes, you're looking at revenues measured in the tens of thousands of Gold. An arable hex has about 8000 hectares under cultivation, which is about 800 farms if it's full and doesn't have any space filling ravines. That's almost fifty thousand gold worth of tax revenues even without oppressive taxation or magically enhanced crop fertility or special resources or anything. A lich king or an elder druid could be squeezing over a hundred grand per hex per year if they have fully cultivated regions. Obviously you're going to have administrative and patrol costs, but it rather underscores how severely large the piles of money get with respect to the costs of magic swords.

Alternate currency therefore needs to come into effect for artifacts. But platinum isn't remotely expensive enough to make the difference - you could obviously plausibly take your giant piles of copper to a money changing temple and get platinum for it and you could literally conquer enough territory to break the equipment expectations of a 10th level party in a single day if farm and city taxes are plausibly fungible with cloaks of protection and adamantine armor.

Which basically means that when you hit lord level, you have a much smaller income of epic currency that can be used to purchase gear that lord level characters care about. And that while you can probably buy basic magic items with gold (and thus you could plausibly have a strike force of rangers that all use magic arrows or whatever), that magic currency is absolutely required to get the higher tier items. Thus, player characters will build temples and castles and roads with their gold and turnips, but they will still adventure in order to take swag from demon lords.

-Username17
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Speaking of Elder Druids, the thought occurred to me that it may be neither necessary nor even helpful to regard Wilderness as a special state of a hex. After all, there is already a need to have rules for borders between unfriendly kingdoms, and rules for what happens if you simply neglect your realm and let it go to seed, so why not combine those and have Nature simply be what happens if a bunch of dire wolves drive everyone out of the hex and predictably fail to upkeep the place? This would have the additional advantage that certain classes (Ranger, cough cough, Druid, cough) could have positive diplomatic relationships with Nature and not suffer as many problems from having their lands border the Wilderness.
Last edited by Grek on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The "Wilderness" is an odd thing in D&D land. While there are certainly classes
(Druid, Ranger), and playable races (Elf, Gnome) who are specifically allied with "Nature," there's this whole other thing where The Wilderness is very bad and basically the enemy from the beginning.

The basic scenario is that you're doing conquistador actions on an area that used to be civilized a long time ago and now has been claimed by the wilderness and what people there are live under some violent tribal or religious governments. And the consequence of this is that there are various ancient and damaged castles and temples just sort of lying around. And most of them have been claimed by "The Wilderness" which means that they are now full of monsters. And the rest are being occupied by bandits and demon cults. And there are forests and mountains, which could be places that various Elves and Druids would venerate, but those have been claimed by "The Wilderness" as well, and they are full of monsters. And those hexes that haven't been taken over by The Wilderness are mostly occupied by small and xenophobic tribes with really vile governments.

So yeah, there does have to be stuff you can do with forests once you pacify them. There are various character types who officially speaking want to do stuff like that. Various good guy factions would like to erect great temples and start major guilds and shit in forests or on mountains where there aren't going to be a lot of farms, but they still have to contend with the fact that those places on the map start the campaign in enemy hands.

The basic benefit of Plains is that you can fill them with farms. And filling them with farms gives you 800 farms, which produces 20,000 Koku, which can support 16,000 people in cities or temples or whatever and that's just with basic farming - enhanced farming regimes make proportionately more. They'll support 800 militia at a basic tax rate, and if you're willing to tax them harder you can support elites or cavalry of similar amounts. That's pretty good. But other kinds of hexes do have things you can do with them if you have access to populations that want to live there. It won't be as many people, but it can still be stuff you want.

But whatever kind of terrain you want to develop, you first have to chase out the bandits and harpies.

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

"The Wilderness" is also predicated on a civilization model where towns and farms and shit are things you aim for. Which is not, historically speaking, every civilization. The Mongols didn't need to know the dark arts of carrot farming, the Norse peoples did know the dark arts of carrot farming, but also were predicated on periodic periods of going viking and pillaging other communities. In the Roman era, a lot of Brittania, Gaul, and Germania was fairly un-cultivated - communities subsisted in larger part off of hunting game and gathering material from the forest than sowing crops or keeping herds. It isn't to say that they didn't do that, because they did - but when your primary economic model is the herd, you're facing very different logistics than when it is the farm. Herds generally need pasture, pasture generally requires mobility. It's why big cattle farms tend to be in places like Texas and Australia where you can have arbitrarily large pasture available to support vastly more cows...and why, generally speaking, you don't have massive rothe farms in the Underdark, unless you get a Texas-sized hex.

"Living off the land" is a viable economic policy, but it comes with sharp constraints. If you over-hunt something, or if it's been a bad winter, survival might mean switching away from primary foodstuffs to secondary or tertiary options - kinda like living under a siege, where if you can't catch deer you end up eating squirrels. You may not like squirrels, but if the local dragon has put a dent in the deer population, than squirrels are what is for dinner. Along with quality-of-life issues, there's a strict population cap - wilderness hexes generally can only support so many omnivorous humanoids, and that is often highly dependent on climate and season. That's why population groups tend to be mobile, and to split off bands that veer into new territory - your barbarian raiders on the edges of "civilization."

Which of course brings up the thing that there might be people in a territory which you don't really control, and who contribute negatively to the economy.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

FrankTrollman wrote: A lich king or an elder druid could be squeezing over a hundred grand per hex per year if they have fully cultivated regions.
Why is the lich king caring about farming when its undead armies don't need to eat or rest?

If for some reason the undead are willing to play nice and cultivate and trade, why haven't they driven normal farmers out of business? Those skeletons farmers never get tired nor sick nor age and obey the lich king with no question. The only logical conclusion is industrial skeleton revolution.

Ditto for golems and other fantasy beings that laugh at puny human daily needs while having no will of their own.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Just because you're a lich doesn't mean that all your servitors have to be undead too. Having living underlings ensures that you keep getting more skeletons.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

The Wilderness being hostile doesn't seem to especially entirely preclude treating it as an foreign power under the rules. It's just a hostile foreign power in most situations.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

maglag wrote:If for some reason the undead are willing to play nice and cultivate and trade, why haven't they driven normal farmers out of business? Those skeletons farmers never get tired nor sick nor age and obey the lich king with no question. The only logical conclusion is industrial skeleton revolution.
Skeletons are mindless and don't have skills. Their Profession (Farmer) checks autofail.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

erik wrote:Just because you're a lich doesn't mean that all your servitors have to be undead too. Having living underlings ensures that you keep getting more skeletons.
Even then you want the skeletons to be doing the hard dumb work while those breathing bodies with fresh brains do more complex tasks.

Bigger point being that in a society where X% of their workforce are tireless obedient machines that don't demand maintenance (and the number of skeletons will only be going up unless you're at war or something), such a society would have a stupidly overwhelming advantage over everybody else. So everybody needs to get skeletons or be left in the mud unless skeletons have some secret key disadvantage.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:
maglag wrote:If for some reason the undead are willing to play nice and cultivate and trade, why haven't they driven normal farmers out of business? Those skeletons farmers never get tired nor sick nor age and obey the lich king with no question. The only logical conclusion is industrial skeleton revolution.
Skeletons are mindless and don't have skills. Their Profession (Farmer) checks autofail.
FrankTrollman wrote:All we have to do with the Profession rules is wipe our asses with them. Because they are worse for the game than if they simply didn't exist.
I believe Frank had already made clear there's no profession skills in this system.

And even if you claim skeletons are too dumb, there's plenty of need of dumb work in farming. Turning a mill's wheel, carrying weights from A to B.

Plus skeletons are still smart enough to wield swords, dodge incoming blows, parry attacks with shields, detect intruders and whatnot, thus making them automatically smarter than your average work animal or industrial machine.

Or are you claiming that it's fine for a skeleton to be ordered to go chop down that humie, but if you order them to go chop down that tree they'll just freeze?
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

If we're using something remotely akin to D&D rules, the Lich King can only control 40 or so skeletons at level 10, and that's if he wants to be controlling fucking skeletons instead of his Wyvern Zombie mount and Hydra Zombie bodyguard.

If you then want skeletons to be reassigned to serf handlers, you can have them be Clerics or Dread Necromancers with Rebuke Undead for a control flow of 1 trained professional per 2 bone robots, you can have them use scrolls of Animate Dead if you want your level 6 minions to be diverting time away from other important tasks AND you aren't ruling away the ability to cast spells from scrolls that you're not big enough to cast properly, you can have them take Body Assemblage or something if using Tome rules...

Point is, people who can control Skeletons require more expensive formal training than farmers, and there is no way for a single person to control an industrial quantity of skeletons, so the Lich King needs to maintain an industrial quantity of subsidiary necromancers to control an industrial quantity of skeletons. And from there, an industrial quantity of living people who will one day become either subsidiary necromancers or skeletons. Or possibly food for subsidiary necromancers, since Necropolitans are stupid so your cult is probably Ghouls or some shit (not Vampires, both because too high level and because if your skeletons' slave drivers can only come out at night then you lose the whole advantage of tireless machines).
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Omegonthesane wrote: Point is, people who can control Skeletons require more expensive formal training than farmers, and there is no way for a single person to control an industrial quantity of skeletons, so the Lich King needs to maintain an industrial quantity of subsidiary necromancers to control an industrial quantity of skeletons.
And in the real world people able to build industrial machinery and/or operate it also require more training than your average mud farmer, but you can see it pays out pretty well to invest in it.

Let's say your basic necromancer is lv5 for animate dead. Now they have 20 skeletons assuming no optimization for higher control caps. But those skeletons work all day and night so they're more doing the work of 60 basic people. But they also don't need to eat so you don't need to put aside skeleton work to feed themselves and they don't get sick or call for retirement/vacation so your lv5 necromancer is probably doing the work of some 100 people.

Plus your subsidary necromancers themselves can eventually become non-king liches or mummies or something else and now they also don't need food neither get sick and will last forever until destroyed!

Of course you'll want some flying wyverns and other exotic undead which can too do the work of many basic skeletons/basic living thanks to high fly speeds and other special abilities. But for high-HD undead you can use the handy Control Undead spell that is just lv2 and doesn't care about HD.

May take some years to get properly started, but in the medium-long run the gains will be insane.
Omegonthesane wrote: Or possibly food for subsidiary necromancers, since Necropolitans are stupid so your cult is probably Ghouls or some shit (not Vampires, both because too high level and because if your skeletons' slave drivers can only come out at night then you lose the whole advantage of tireless machines).
Now that you mention it, wights can multiply themselves just fine and have unlimited control cap. Every eldery person close to natural death has to become a new wight in return for the Lich King's generosity. The death sentence is also wightification.

Skeletons are for people who died in unexpected ways before they could be wightified, plus you can always buy bodies from your neighbours.
Last edited by maglag on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.