Shilling, not KS, not vidya games

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

codeGlaze
Duke

Shilling, not KS, not vidya games

Post by codeGlaze »

So despite being nearly 30 (as of writing this) I'm still a punk-rock-kind-of-guy at heart.

Which led to me stumbling on an article about Fat Mike writing a musical.
He wrote/toyed with it for about 15 years before devoting himself to it.

One of the co-producers of Avenue Q emphatically volunteered to help and bring it to production.

It's called Home Street Home and my friend and I have fallen in love (become obsessed?) with the pre-released preview soundtrack (youtube'd, you can buy it for 10 bucks) that was put together. (Done with long time professional punk band peoples.)

The story is framed through the lives/interactions of a "tribe" of Gutter Punks (transient punks) and deals with some heavy shit. Heavy shit pulled from real life interactions/experiences.
It mixes in dealing with familial abuse (and the inevitable running away), drugs, depression/cutting/suicide, BDSM, group sex and prostitution with catchy songs and an upbeat attitudes.

There's been a lot of positive feedback during it's production and it's already open and playing in San Fran.

... I feel like I'm doing a disservice to it with my crappy introduction.
In any case, I don't have too many outlets to rant about this, so i figured someone here might like it! More people need to know about this. >_>

You should definitely check it out. It's definitely not just for people who are into "punk".
Last edited by codeGlaze on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Mind if I shill my own thing?

I know it's not much of a feat compared to what others have designed, but I finally wrote and finished something you can consider a game.

It's a 100 card expansion for Cards Against Humanity based on Magic the Gathering. Yes it's fucking expensive, but it's print on demand right now. My next step is getting bulk printing going to make it more affordable, but I'm just enjoying having finished a game finally for the moment.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

How much is bulk printing going to run you? How much would that drop the price? And if you have a complete product but just need seed money for bulk printing, shouldn't you consider using KS or something similar to raise said funds?( $2500-$5000 seem to be relatively attainable KS campaign totals for boardgame projects )
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Bulk printing would run at least $2400 (plus shipping or tax or whatever) for 250 decks. That would make the cost per deck $9.60, and I could sell for $15. There are better profit margins, but that's not too bad. It's also better than my current profit which is $3.75 after TGC takes a cut.

I am planning on doing that, but I'm waiting to get a deck printed for myself so I can put the kickstarter together with photos.

It's possible I could drop the cost of printing even more, perhaps even printing cards closer to CAH cards, rather than Magic cards, in quality, but finding a printer is a pain in the ass, and that would likely, though not necessarily, require some reformatting. I don't know how printers handle cards as far as files go.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.