[IC-Tome] Big Dark Tall Talling Darker Big Tower

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Megasoma walks up the wall to the ceiling and strolls forward

*Edited*
http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main. ... _id=109715
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

(Yeah, the state of the thing gets stored into different urls. Also, you clicked Kaelik's first link which doesn't include Dean and Grek's turns. Click and modify Grek's link)
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Use other people's edits as your base, and yes, you need to add your own. The hallway is about ten feet tall by 12 feet wide. Unfortunately, these don't all link to one general thing which we can all use. So far as you can tell the water looks like water and feels like water.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Cole summons a Celestial Hippogryph and flies right behind Megasoma.

(Can't update sheet as I'm using a tiny laptop and can't reach the button to get links (the page disabled zooming). I'll update it once I get home, but that could take a while.)
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I'll fly down the hallway along with everyone else. Land on the other side if we get through without incident. I'll hang a few feet behind Megasoma and preserve our normal marching order.

(Note: I actually can't breathe underwater, not for more than a couple minutes anyway. If it turns out a lot of this exploration will be occurring underwater I'll have to teleport away, get a scroll, and come back as soon as possible.)
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I found an abandoned PC. I'll order the coure to move forward as well.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main. ... _id=109721
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Fuck you no. I didn't say you could come in right now.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Okay so some didn't use the marker for them and this confused me, but whatever.

So far none of you have entered the hallway at all. There continues to be nothing of note.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Megasoma, walking along the ceiling, takes a look into the hallway (though if anyone wants to send their summoned critter in first that's fine too)

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main. ... _id=110336
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

If Megasoma doesn't notice anything noteworthy Cabe will fly through the hallway until he gets to here where he'll begin investigating the area around him.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main. ... _id=110340
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Cole casts major image and then follows Cabe. Cole orders the Coure to move forward too.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main. ... _id=110347
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

You guys make no sense. You are going off of different scenes, so some of you still have others back at the beginning, and some of you are trying to peek into the hallway and others are trying to sprint to then end of it. Work it out and give me one updated scene.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Ogrebattle used the original link again and then Dean used Ogrebattle's new link. I fixed this in my link (i.e. I used the my earlier one and moved their tokens as they did in their newest links), and Grek's link followed my one.

Here's the gist of what happened.

Megasoma took a look into the hallway.

Before you told us what he saw:
Dean wrote:If Megasoma doesn't notice anything noteworthy Cabe will fly through the hallway until he gets to here where he'll begin investigating the area around him
Dean updated the page and then Cole and Gertrude rushed ahead with him.

Unless Megasoma saw something unusual, Grek's link represents our current positions (though I suspect Ogrebattle would want to charge ahead with us).
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I agree with that
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Ogrebattle can you please clarify how you respond to everyone in the group sprinting past you down the corridor.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Megasoma heads down the hallway with them
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

After Megasoma passes by, the water itself reaches up as several tentacles, and pummels Cabe, grabbing him and pulling him down into the water.

Simultaneously, a giant wall of water comes rushing down from the ceiling in the previous room.

OOC
Everyone except Cabe must make a DC 25 Fort save or be pushed 30 ft down the hallway. The Griffon and Megasome have +4 bonuses. Cole can use a Ride check instead of a fort save to stay on the griffon, but then if the griffon gets washed down he has to stay on it. If you have a swim speed, you can reduce the 30ft by your swim speed at the cost of that many feet of movement (if you fail the save). This will happen at the beginning of each round, but this time counts as the before the first "round:"

Everyone should generally be considered holding their breath, with the expected effect on verbal components (unless say, you breath water). While that isn't explicitly defined by the rules, I'm going to say you can totally use at least one spell, but the act of opening your mouth means you skip the concentration score x2 rounds of holding your breath.

Gertrude fails save, Megasome makes save, Hypogriff fails save, do a ride check to stay on him or make a saving throw to avoid being swept down as well.

Luckily for Cabe, you all get to go before the water attacks you again. Unluckily, you rolled piss poor on knowledge checks, so none of you even know what this is.

Cabe, you take 27 damage, and you are grabbed, and engulfed, which means you definitely can't breathe anything but water if you open your mouth. you are actually in the same space as the creature, but the software keeps putting it on top so I can't see you.
http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main. ... _id=110744
Last edited by Kaelik on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Gertrude, protected from drowning by her inherent witchiness, allows herself to be carried along by the water. As she is washed past, she menaces the water thing with her whip (2 demoralize attempts; it needs to beat 37 and then 45 with its Sense Motive+Size or HD+Wis+Size rolls to not be afraid) while giving it the evil eye (DC 22 Will save for more fear).

"Get back in that sewer this instant, or so help me, I will give you such a beating! I will bottle you up and boil you for my tea, you wretched thing!"

Rolls.Movement.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Cabe's skin becomes hard as iron and he briefly glows as he seems to slither desperately free of the creatures grasp. He swims haphazardly, only gaining a few feet, and then turns and stretches out his hand creating a jet of frigid cold stretching over the watery monster that surrounds him.

(Cabe activates his Heart of Earth as a swift action gaining DR 10/adamantine, uses a round of his travel ability to automatically escape the grapple, either stays still or does a 5ft swimming step, then defensively casts Maximized Empowered Cone of Cold to do actual Cold Damage, 60+5d6 of it. I think he succeeds at the defensive casting check on any roll so it should go off)
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Megasoma makes a full attack (15ft reach, +14 4d6+11 crit 20x3). He then makes 3 iajutsu attacks (Giant Slayer gives edge vs larger foes) against the water thing.

----
Would I be able to make a free sense motive check at the start of my turn? My Sense Motive skill feat gives this ability:

4 ranks: You can quickly size up potential opponents. If you succeed on a Sense Motive check as a free action, opposed by their Bluff, you can tell if they're an even match (their CR equals your character level), an easy challenge (their CR is 1-3 less than your level), irrelevant (their CR is 4 or more less than your level), stronger (their CR is 1-3 higher than your level), or overwhelmingly powerful (their CR is 4 or more higher than your level). You can use this ability once on a particular creature every 24 hours.

9 ranks: If you succeed on a Sense Motive check, opposed by Bluff, you know your opponent's alignment. If you beat their Bluff by 20 or more, you can read their surface thoughts, as if during the third round of Detect Thoughts.

Also I haven't moved from my position on the gridmap so here's copy/paste of Grek's post:
http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main. ... _id=110744
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

radthemad4 wrote:Cole covers everyone (except the Coure) with invisibility spheres.
(We are invisible right (I suppose the water dripping off of us would give it away, though we should still have concealment. I didn't declare doing it for the hippogryph, Cole probably wouldn't forget to turn it invisible too)? Or at least we were? If possible, I'd like to retroactively use the Collector of Stories Skill trick to add +5 to the knowledge check you rolled for me earlier.)

Cole tries to stay on the Hippogryph: 1d20+1 → [8,1] = (9) (+6 Ride -5 bareback).

Cole summons 1d4+1 → [3,1] = (4) Celestial Porpoises (he makes the porpoises look fiercer, as big as possible while still being medium and much shinier using major image) and commands them to attack the watery creature and smite it (yeah... not that great an option but I suppose we could see if this creature is intelligent enough to not waste time on small fry and I get to stay invisible)

Porpoise Rolls (Disbelief DC 23)
The Coure is incorporeal so it shouldn't be affected by the water. It casts magic missile for 1d4+1 → [4,1] = (5) damage.

He adjusts Major Image (move action) to make it look like all his team mates suddenly cast quickened, still, silent mirror image (and himself and the hippogryph too if he's still dripping with water) and have a glowy, camouflaged, etherealish aura. The walls would then appear to move closer and through his teammates (accompanied by the sound of heavy objects being dragged), obscuring them from sight (a sound effect similar to a raging fire being snuffed out at the exact time).

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main. ... _id=110859
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Gertrude floats past and nothing seems to happen while floating past I might also suggest that perhaps eyeless creatures are not the best targets of gaze attacks, if it weren't basically free in this situation. Also, Gertrude forgets to move herself on the map.

Cabe uses his standard action to escape, because that is what it means to automatically escape a check, first you have to actually use the escape. Then he stands around doing nothing at all even a little bit.

Megasoma uses one Ijatisu attack, because he is not possessed of 3 immediate actions, so he makes three attacks, and hits with only the attack of opportunity. He does some (30) damage, and I'm going to say that you know the difference between your axe piercing damage reduction and not, and so you are in fact piercing it.

I'm going to say that Sense Motive thing is completely fucking bullshit, because for fucks sake, one out of every 40000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 monsters has even a single rank in bluff, so fuck no do you not get an check where you add +12 at level 7 and they add zero, so I'm going to say you have actually fucking beat a DC equal to their knowledge DC. To wit, you still beat it, but not by 20, and you get to know that it is "strong" and that it's alignment is "always neutral."

You all were invisible, except that many of you aren't now on account of that whole attacking thing. I kind of feel bad that you guys didn't get to know anything, because the knowledge DCs really aren't that hard, but you guys did roll like crap, you rolled a 3 and 1, so you can retroactively use your skill trick and still fail :(. Cole falls off the hypogriff, and drifts downstream. For the record, because I didn't remember the actual init order I rolled, I'm going to say that Cabe went last, so the monster was still grappling and didn't get AoO on you and Gertrude. Also for the record, I was really really really really really close to just having the Coure Magic missile you and the porpoises attack you, because literally the very first fucking post of the recruitment thread contains my explicit fucking request for no goddam minionmancy, and you currently have 7 goddam minions on the field, which is more than then entire goddam party plus the enemy.

The water then proceeds to completely ignore all the porpoises, and your imaginary walls, and your invisibility and beat the ever living shit out of specifically you Cole, and I apparently mean that literally because it makes a bunch of attacks and grapples and engulfs your corpse, doing 58 damage. So... do you have any immediate actions?

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main. ... _id=111067

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Megasoma continues his attacks on the water-thing
(Iajutsu followed by two attacks from full attack, I'll use Kiai on the first full attack I land)

1 Iajutsu attack: 20 (6+14)
Damge rolled: 18
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4799177/
1st Full Attack: 19 (rolled 5+14)
Damage rolled: 25 (Kiai damage: 75)

2nd Full Attack: 20 (rolled 11+9)
Damage rolled: 28 (Kiai damage: 84)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4799175/

Damage roll results @:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4799182/
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:05 am, edited 5 times in total.