Cargo Cultists

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

How long can they keep that up though? I mean they keep firing people. Sooner or later they are going to HAVE to change up the staff because they will have fired everyone right? Maybe that's all that needs to happen, for EVERYONE to get fired so we can see new people with new ideas in their place?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

If they were going to do that, it would have happened after 4e, and again after Essentials. Hasbro divisions are supposed to be $50mill / annum businesses or fuck off. D&D survives as an anonymous sub-division of a barely viable card game, overseen by people who don't care about RPGs at all, and written by people who notice that and hate it.

Other than that, Mike Mearls is good friends with his boss. He seems to have the job for life, and is productive enough with the wordsmithing to damn near write the whole thing on his own.

Like, there's a "news" announcement on the www.wizards.com site about Tyranny of Dragons being on the way, from May 2014, right now. Announcing some stuff that isn't true any more amongst the wall of grey plain text. Clearly no one over there gives a shit.

I mean, Paizo would kill people to get the D&D name on their RPG. It's a valuable thing, it's just not valuable to anyone who owns it right now.

Like, where's the fucking iPhone/android app for rolling dice and tracking PCs? 5e is fresh out and asking people to grab a pencil and paper and those things barely even exist any more. They don't even sell dice. The people there are friends of a friend and really have no idea what they're doing. Except, you know, "making RPGs", and stopping people providing free electronic assistance for them because reasons.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

They still don't have a sequel to a a 1-20 level adventure finished. The next installment starts a bit before level 10 and ends around 15ish and you are supposed to finish it with a CR 30 encounter against Tiamat herself. Hope you brought your necromancers.

4E's laughably failed attempt to be a 50 million dollar a year property ( :rofl: ) means that 5E can do basically whatever it wants without firing. Hasbro is Colin Quinn in full I Don't Give A Care mode now. People won't be fired every 10 months like with 4E simply because Hasbro doesn't care anymore and that will be interpreted as success by the cultists.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ancient History wrote:Save that idea for Return to the Crypts of Chaos, Prak.
Here's the write up if you're interested- https://korbl.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/ ... f-quatrex/
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
K
King

Post by K »

MGuy wrote:How long can they keep that up though? I mean they keep firing people. Sooner or later they are going to HAVE to change up the staff because they will have fired everyone right? Maybe that's all that needs to happen, for EVERYONE to get fired so we can see new people with new ideas in their place?
They can't get new people. They grab from the pool of the same 100 people who show up at cons and do convention-campaigns. Some grow old and die and some filter in, but it's a pretty homogenous group.

Shit, you can even tell those people that some things are not good without it becoming a live-action flame war because people are attached to the things they love and not attached to the idea of making good things.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

MGuy wrote:How long can they keep that up though? I mean they keep firing people. Sooner or later they are going to HAVE to change up the staff because they will have fired everyone right? Maybe that's all that needs to happen, for EVERYONE to get fired so we can see new people with new ideas in their place?
They always fire the expendables. The last two firings were Chris Perkins and someone else, I think an editor. The real culprits, like Mearls, seem untouchable. I seriously don't know how Mearls isn't an industry pariah begging to do grunt work on Pathfinder or another more obscure retroclone or 3.5 ripoff. Why isn't he doing a kickstarter for Iron Heroes 2: This Time We'll Actually Do Math and Playtesting, Pinkie Swear or something equally demeaning? He could take a shit on Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner's face and he'd get a promotion and made head designer for Dungeons and Dragons 6: 6 Time's The Charm!
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Insomniac wrote:Why isn't he doing a kickstarter for Iron Heroes 2: This Time We'll Actually Do Math and Playtesting, Pinkie Swear or something equally demeaning? He could take a shit on Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner's face and he'd get a promotion and made head designer for Dungeons and Dragons 6: 6 Time's The Charm!
TGDMB needs a "like" button.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Dogbert wrote:TGDMB needs a "like" button.
Only if we also get this as a button: Image

The "like" button of course would be: Image
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

erik wrote:
Dogbert wrote:TGDMB needs a "like" button.
Only if we also get this as a button: Image

The "like" button of course would be: Image
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

erik wrote:The "like" button of course would be: Image
And here I thought the choice would be:

momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

TGD already has the only button I need to respond to this exchange, if y'all keep it up.

SubversionArts
1st Level

Post by SubversionArts »

Dogbert wrote:
Insomniac wrote:Why isn't he doing a kickstarter for Iron Heroes 2: This Time We'll Actually Do Math and Playtesting, Pinkie Swear or something equally demeaning? He could take a shit on Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner's face and he'd get a promotion and made head designer for Dungeons and Dragons 6: 6 Time's The Charm!
TGDMB needs a "like" button.
SubversionArts
1st Level

Post by SubversionArts »

momothefiddler wrote:TGD already has the only button I need to respond to this exchange, if y'all keep it up.

SubversionArts
1st Level

Post by SubversionArts »

Insomniac wrote:
They always fire the expendables. The last two firings were Chris Perkins and someone else, I think an editor. The real culprits, like Mearls, seem untouchable. I seriously don't know how Mearls isn't an industry pariah begging to do grunt work on Pathfinder or another more obscure retroclone or 3.5 ripoff. Why isn't he doing a kickstarter for Iron Heroes 2: This Time We'll Actually Do Math and Playtesting, Pinkie Swear or something equally demeaning? He could take a shit on Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner's face and he'd get a promotion and made head designer for Dungeons and Dragons 6: 6 Time's The Charm!
Et hem...

http://company.wizards.com/about/careers
Last edited by SubversionArts on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

So they're looking for someone to micromanage how they farm out the D&D IP. That'll be after the thing where the team doing digital for them ditched the contract and now works for Paizo (or something, I forget), after differences of vision or some shit.
Suits Optional......
Brains Required!!
That's almost like a dig at whoever they last had doing that job.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.