[Shadowrun 5] On the playability of Matrix

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

[Shadowrun 5] On the playability of Matrix

Post by silva »

As per request of the other thread author, Im transcribing the last relevant posts here for clarification.

1) Pragma posted:
Pragma wrote:While making sure everything is slaved (usually by ignoring system) helps, it doesn't actually fix the core issue I mentioned. In particular, every drone forces one roll per network per in game second. You need to roll multiple wireless tests for every instant of game time. If played by RAW, the matrix slows the game to a crawl.
2) to what me and Ice9 answered:
Silva wrote:Im having a hard time seeing this. Im sure my ignorance in the system may be the reason. Could you elaborate a little bit better ?

When you cite "networks", you mean the characters PANs (personel area networks) ? If so, I understand a security drone has a device rating of just 2 or 3 (if its a security version). Isnt that a really low number to beat the characters (supposing they are being protected by a local decker) ? Ie: the drone will roll 3 + 3 dice, -2 for silent iconts, averagin around 1 hit, against an average deckers sleaze + willpower, say, 3 + 4, averaging at least 2 hits ? Doesnt it mean a minimally competent decker will keep the team hidden most of times against default security drones ?

Also, where does it say about the frequency of perception tests for drones in this situation ? I cant find it.
Ice9 wrote:possible solution is to say that whatever result you get, that's the result you're stuck with until something changes
and
Silva wrote:Yup. This is the default method for detection - the result you get from your sneaking roll (or invisibility spell) works as the threshold for any attempts at detection. Dont know why matrix would work differently
_ _ _

So, please continue from here. Im still unconvinced, by reading the rules, the 5e Matrix is broken. I understand there are weird spots that call for house-ruling/gentlemen agreements, like wireless bonuses, but this is true for all editions of the game so far. On top of it, this edition looks much simpler and faster than enything that came before (coff, coff.. dungeon-like digital mazes coff, coff). I appreciate if points risen come with reference pages from the book.

Thanks.
Last edited by silva on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

If you roll 4 dice, you get 4 hits 1 in every 81 rolls. If a round lasts 3 seconds, and a drone has 3 IP, that means that it will roll 4 hits at some point in the first 81 seconds. It's possible that the hacker gets a lucky roll which can beat that, but pretty unlikely that a hacker can avoid detection for 5 or 10 munutes.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Orion, I think you should factor in the sneaking character roll to your calc, as this test is supposed to be opposed.

But even then, your calc is assuming you run the whole run/infiltration as a big infinite combat turn, which was suspect is not the intention of the rules as written otherwise you would have to do that calc for every guard and worker and cam etc you happen to come upon.

That's the reason the rules me and Ice9 mentioned exist (taking the sneak test hits as thresholds for attempting detectors).

Further, in what way it differs from previous editions ? Your logic could be applied to all of them. I think everyone here knows Shadowrun is a badly designed system in first place and is full of holes anyway. I'm more interested in know in what ways its supposedly inferior to old editions here.
Last edited by silva on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Skill balkanization, for one. Is there any reason why all the gun skills have to stand alone while all the spellcasting skills are the same? Oh wait, now they're splitting up normal spellcasting and ritual spellcasting too.

How about the devaluation of BOD because armor and damage values going up, but body scores stay the same? Mr. Troll wants to be hardcore but the rules won't let him.

And Limits, holy crap Limits. Hate the bloody things. Needless complexity for no good reason and you can ignore them anyway with fast-refreshing Edge.

There's more but I CBAed to list them all.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Having the sneak test stay fixed doesn't help as long as the detection test isn't. If either of them is rolled each time, then the drones spot the hacker.

Here's how it works:
Hacker: Rolls seven dice, gets two hits. Doesn't have to roll anymore, so he's safe, right? No.
Drone: Rolls three dice, gets one hit.
Drone: Next IP, rolls three dice, gets one hit.
... within a few minutes ...
Drone: Rolls three dice, gets three hits.
kzt
Knight-Baron

Post by kzt »

Drones are cheap. I have a lot of drones. How many deckers do you have?
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

This all sounds like the sneaking stuff from the Pathfinder thread, but the mechanics here seem even shittier...
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:Skill balkanization, for one. Is there any reason why all the gun skills have to stand alone while all the spellcasting skills are the same? Oh wait, now they're splitting up normal spellcasting and ritual spellcasting too.
I hear you. Miss the old days of "Firearms", "Sorcery" and "Computer" myself.
How about the devaluation of BOD because armor and damage values going up, but body scores stay the same? Mr. Troll wants to be hardcore but the rules won't let him.
You mean when trolls felt SMG bursts to their face like gentle rain on a cold afternoon ? :mrgreen:

I can understand the move. They wanted to make the game more lethal, and raising Body proportionally to damage is not a good idea in this case. I actually like this, as it tends to make combats end quicker.
And Limits, holy crap Limits. Hate the bloody things. Needless complexity for no good reason and you can ignore them anyway with fast-refreshing Edge.
I like Limits. Not only because they keep some weird things from hapenning (killing a dragon with a light pistol ?) but because they give the game a more unified resolution (Atrib + Skill [Limit] ). Shadowrun was never this unified before and this is a great thing in my book.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

double post.
Last edited by silva on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Ice9 wrote:Having the sneak test stay fixed doesn't help as long as the detection test isn't. If either of them is rolled each time, then the drones spot the hacker.

Here's how it works:
Hacker: Rolls seven dice, gets two hits. Doesn't have to roll anymore, so he's safe, right? No.
Drone: Rolls three dice, gets one hit.
Drone: Next IP, rolls three dice, gets one hit.
... within a few minutes ...
Drone: Rolls three dice, gets three hits.
...and this is true for all previous editions too. So how come this edition is supposedly unplayable while previous ones are not ?

And really, since the first time this "problem" cropped up 20 years ago every GM and player already discovered solutions around it - solutions the very book gives, by the way (see making thresholds/difficulty out of successes/hits).

I agree the fact all the books (from all editions) do not adress this directly is a missed opportunity, but they do give tools to work around it. And if we remember that Shadowrun is rooted in the 80's where systems are those horridly complex toolkits of rules some of which you are supposed to use and others to ignore, then I dont see how it can ellicit the game to be called unplayable. Except if we begin to call Champions, AD&D, Gurps, Hero, CP 2020, Call of Cthulhu, etc. all unplayable too. But then its irrelevant really, because people are actually playing these "unplayable" games since the hobby inception.

The only possibility where I would agree with calling Shadowrun unplayable due to containing rules flaws and omissions were if it was the kind of indie game like Dogs in the Vineyard or Danger Patrol, where you got this minimalist tightly packed set of rules that are supposed to each have an almost surgical and un-ignorable function in regard to the whole experience. But Shadowrun is not one of these.
Otakusensei wrote:This all sounds like the sneaking stuff from the Pathfinder thread, but the mechanics here seem even shittier...
This is Shadowrun, the most shitty ruleset ever devised. What do you expect ? :bored:

At least this edition makes Matrix actually playable, or for better wording, gives tools to make the Matrix more playable than any previous edition ever, besides bringing back the pink-mohawk and tecno-tribal aesthetics that made the first editions of the game so exotic and popular in the first place, instead of the bland cyber-fantasy shitty from 4e.
Last edited by silva on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Previous editions also had unplayable Matrix. SR1-3 - because of the terrible concept. SR4-5 - because of terrible mechanics.
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

silva wrote:
Otakusensei wrote:This all sounds like the sneaking stuff from the Pathfinder thread, but the mechanics here seem even shittier...
This is Shadowrun, the most shitty ruleset ever devised. What do you expect ? :bored:

At least this edition makes Matrix actually playable, or for better wording, gives tools to make the Matrix more playable than any previous edition ever, besides bringing back the pink-mohawk and tecno-tribal aesthetics that made the first editions of the game so exotic and popular in the first place, instead of the bland cyber-fantasy shitty from 4e.
Nah, I'm calling bullshit on sentence one. I know you skipped 4th ed or something, but it had a much better resolution mechanic than the earlier editions. I think they mostly kept it in 5th but fucked it over with limits. The fact you like them means you either don't understand them or you're some sort of always-on troll persona.

I'm going to go with don't understand because you clearly don't see that the 5th ed matrix is just as fucked as previous editions, if not more so, and I'm told I put too much faith in humanity. But if it turns out you are just an elaborate fiction of some kind I hope you enjoy all the lulz you're scoring in your secret personal game because your zipper is showing.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

silva wrote:
Ice9 wrote:Having the sneak test stay fixed doesn't help as long as the detection test isn't. If either of them is rolled each time, then the drones spot the hacker.

Here's how it works:...
...and this is true for all previous editions too. So how come this edition is supposedly unplayable while previous ones are not ?
This is false. Other editions, SR3 for instance, have had really clear rules about when the system was allowed to roll to detect you. That meant the game didn't chug while you rolled thousands of times and it also put a much firmer bound on the specter of iterative probability.
Silva wrote:And really, since the first time this "problem" cropped up 20 years ago every GM and player already discovered solutions around it - solutions the very book gives, by the way (see making thresholds/difficulty out of successes/hits).
This isn't what the rules tell you to do. An analyze attempt is an opposed test between the hacker's stealth pool and the observer's analyze pool. You can make different rules and change how often tests are rolled at your table, but the system as written is unplayable.

Oddly, I can see where you're coming from: the matrix system feels fast in a way previous matrices did not. I can't put my finger on why that it, other than the fact that it requires less overhead time (setup in SR3 or extended tests in SR4). However, that feeling goes away once you've used the rules a bit and realized just how many dice you need to throw at the hacker per second. Creating an illusion of easy resolution doesn't absolve the rules set from being deeply ambiguous, requiring thousands of rolls, and being trivially exploitable. In fact, I think it's a bad tradeoff to get a system that feels good for a while but is deeply disruptive to the game world and the flow of play at the table.
Silva wrote:At least this edition makes Matrix actually playable, or for better wording, gives tools to make the Matrix more playable than any previous edition ever,
This is strictly false. 3rd edition required a lot of prep to get security sheaves put together, but all the matrix rules actually worked. That is to say, they didn't lead to infinite numbers of die rolls and they generally produced the results they were aiming for. Cybercombat was a shade on the bland side, but considering that it is a minigame within a minigame it wasn't so bad.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Otakusensei wrote:I know you skipped 4th ed or something, but it had a much better resolution mechanic than the earlier editions.
Agreed. Fixed target numbers is a bless. Pity they fucked up in other areas.
I think they mostly kept it in 5th but fucked it over with limits
You think ? Have you actually read or played 5th edition ?
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Pragma wrote:
silva wrote:
Ice9 wrote:Having the sneak test stay fixed doesn't help as long as the detection test isn't.
...and this is true for all previous editions too.
This is false.
No, its not. See..
Shadowrun 3rd edition Core wrote: Locate Decker
Action: Complex

The Locate Decker operation is a two-step process. The decker makes the standard System Test and then an Open-ended Sensor Test. The decker locates any other deckers whose Masking Attributes are equal to or lower than his Sensor Test results. In addition, he knows if they log off or jack out. If a targeted decker is running a sleaze utility, add its rating to the targeted decker’s Masking Rating to determine if the testing decker locates the target decker.
What that means is: if there is a security decker overwatching a system, he will make an Locate Decker test in each of its passes until he locates the intruder. But its worst actually, because the test is two-fold, as described above, instead of a single roll like in 5e. So we could have the same "detection loop" only in 3e its actually 2 rolls per detection attempt, against only 1 roll in 5e.

So, as I said, it was like that in previous editions too. :wink:
pragma wrote:Oddly, I can see where you're coming from: the matrix system feels fast in a way previous matrices did not. I can't put my finger on why that it, other than the fact that it requires less overhead time (setup in SR3 or extended tests in SR4). However, that feeling goes away once you've used the rules a bit and realized just how many dice you need to throw at the hacker per second. Creating an illusion of easy resolution doesn't absolve the rules set from being deeply ambiguous, requiring thousands of rolls, and being trivially exploitable. In fact, I think it's a bad tradeoff to get a system that feels good for a while but is deeply disruptive to the game world and the flow of play at the table.
Please, then elucidate me with some actual example. Because the actual examples in the book are resolved with a couple opposed rolls most of the time. In fact, the "bricking" example on 5e pg. 228 has the decker rolling just once to disable the opponent smartgun. If you can prove a decker could affect a device so fast in previous editions, please feel free to show me.

Besides that, decking in 5e is resumed to 1) gaining access ("marks") and 2) issuing commands. How is this complex and unplayable ? Specially compared to previous editions where you had a whole gamut of nodes and sub-systems each with different available commands (:P ), complex architecture with SANs going in and out of each other, programs with very specific mechanical behaviours and even "ratings", etc.

Ive played Shadowrun all my life, man. My group always had a decker. Always. And I GMed most of the time. And I tell you Matrix was never this simple as 5e reads. And you know what ? As the new fixed target makes it easy to average rolls, its even possible to simply take the average for all Host and Ice ratings and treat as thresholds for the decker to roll against, which can make the Matrix even faster than ever before.

Really, Pragma, if you have the truth on the matter, youre not managing to demonstrate it or convince me.
Last edited by silva on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Otakusensei
Master

Post by Otakusensei »

silva wrote:
Otakusensei wrote:I think they mostly kept it in 5th but fucked it over with limits
You think ? Have you actually read or played 5th edition ?
I played it when it was called SR4A, before Coleman told Hardy and his Hackforce he wanted something new to sling to idiots at Gen Con. I also don't willingly pirate garbage; so no, I'm going off what everyone else is saying, and then comparing it to whatever fucked up house-ruled magical tea party circle jerk you're telling us about.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Well, youre being honest at least. :mrgreen:
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

silva wrote: What that means is: if there is a security decker overwatching a system, he will make an Locate Decker test in each of its passes until he locates the intruder. But its worst actually, because the test is two-fold, as described above, instead of a single roll like in 5e. So we could have the same "detection loop" only in 3e its actually 2 rolls per detection attempt, against only 1 roll in 5e.

So, as I said, it was like that in previous editions too. :wink:
I can't tell if this is disingenuous or just wrong again. Here are multiple ways that you're comparing apples and oranges:

1. SR5 detection is an opposed test. It requires the exact same number of rolls as the example you quoted. Those rolls are split between two people, but its still two. In fact, SR5 is significantly worse because of the intensely ambiguous matrix perception roll to find hidden icons before the opposed detection test.
2. In SR3 the existence of a security sheaf meant you usually didn't have a decker running overwatch during matrix activity. The roll you cited only came up under the exceptional circumstance that a rival decker was looking for you (which popped up at security tallies of 16 or higher in the example sheafs). The ACIFS ratings and your accruing security tally usually handled all of this passively.
This is the opposite of SR5, where the only defense is matrix perception tests and a reasonable security system would put up as many as it could.
3. The SR3 rules you quoted elegantly account for multiple hiding entities: each has a stealth threshold that you need to roll above. This is different from SR5 where you have to roll a test for everything that's hiding. If, for instance, your street sam's arm, your rigger's four drones and your deck were all running hidden, you need to roll 6 times for each matrix perception check the opposition puts up. I remind you that it's possible for the opposition to put up one per in game second entirely automatically.
4. In SR3 a "find decker" test was intensely local. You were looking for deckers on the node you currently occupying. In SR5, you need to apply matrix perception to every hidden wireless thing within 100m to find a single target. In the case of a spider running overwatch and a runner team sneaking, that can easily be dozens of devices.

Now, I think you've been suggesting moving SR5 to a threshold based system. Fine, I do think that could improve it. But that requires rewriting everything from the ground up. The argument that SR5 provides the clearest matrix is experience is intensely false. At first glance it looks good (because of the simplicity of "apply marks," "take actions" that you mention below), but running it requires tremendous doublethink to prevent the table from sagging under the weight of tons of rolls.
silva wrote:
pragma wrote:Oddly, I can see where you're coming from: the matrix system feels fast in a way previous matrices did not. I can't put my finger on why that it, other than the fact that it requires less overhead time (setup in SR3 or extended tests in SR4). However, that feeling goes away once you've used the rules a bit and realized just how many dice you need to throw at the hacker per second. Creating an illusion of easy resolution doesn't absolve the rules set from being deeply ambiguous, requiring thousands of rolls, and being trivially exploitable. In fact, I think it's a bad tradeoff to get a system that feels good for a while but is deeply disruptive to the game world and the flow of play at the table.
Please, then elucidate me with some actual example. Because the actual examples in the book are resolved with a couple opposed rolls most of the time. In fact, the "bricking" example on 5e pg. 228 has the decker rolling just once to disable the opponent smartgun. If you can prove a decker could affect a device so fast in previous editions, please feel free to show me.
This entire discussion has been predicated on an example. Someone who has wirelessly active gear is sneaking into a facility guarded either by a spider or a drone running an agent and an analyze program. This setup requires at least one opposed roll per in game second, and eventually guarantees the failure of the decker.

Here's another: an rival decker has espied your surveillance drones in a public place. He's free to hack them -- requiring multiple rolls per in game second -- and the only way to get him to fuck off is to shoot him. If you best him in cybercombat he can be back in one round to continue shenanigans. However, because you can selectively reboot drones he'll never be sucessful either. It fundamentally requires two actions to succeed at your hacking "place mark," "issue command," so a rigger will always have a chance to reboot after "place mark." This situation, which is explicitly used as an example in the core rules, just adds drag at the table. It's fun to work through the rolls once, but it never takes you anywhere.
Silva wrote:Besides that, decking in 5e is resumed to 1) gaining access ("marks") and 2) issuing commands. How is this complex and unplayable ?
We weren't talking about this. We were talking about how decking breaks down as soon as dedicated opposition starts trying to counter it.

While I'm not super interested in expanding the scope of the conversation beyond the original points, I agree that the basic setup for SR5 is straightforward (I'm on the record saying "it feels fast"). That's not an OK tradeoff in my mind because the follow on effects about how security works are deeply dumb and require throwing tremendous amounts of dice for the foregone conclusion that "you will be detected." This is followed by throwing similar number of dice to say "you won't get much done in combat time." See Ice9's post for a point by point breakdown of how this happens.

I'll grant the following: this system that it handles deckers taking actions against unaware and undefended targets goes pretty quickly. That's fun, but it turns out targets can become aware and defended on a _single unlucky roll_ at which point all your work is wasted and your legwork attempt has to devolve into combat or a chase to stop the interminable rolling (see the rigger example above).

Your target might just drop off the matrix too, the penalties for doing so are laughably small (microtransceivers even allow you to talk to the team). Because of this, it requires a lot of brain glue for there to be things to hack at all. Frank's four horsemen of the matrix apocalypse are still out in force, and dropout is a really easy and viable possibility.
silva wrote:Specially compared to previous editions where you had a whole gamut of nodes and sub-systems each with different available commands (:P ), complex architecture with SANs going in and out of each other, programs with very specific mechanical behaviours and even "ratings", etc.
This is the point I was getting at with the argument that SR5 "feels fast." It's also dumb, and stripping some of the wasteful complexity out of an earlier edition would probably have made much more sense.
silva wrote:Ive played Shadowrun all my life, man. My group always had a decker. Always. And I GMed most of the time. And I tell you Matrix was never this simple as 5e reads. And you know what ? As the new fixed target makes it easy to average rolls, its even possible to simply take the average for all Host and Ice ratings and treat as thresholds for the decker to roll against, which can make the Matrix even faster than ever before.

Really, Pragma, if you have the truth on the matter, youre not managing to demonstrate it or convince me.
I've also played Shadowrun all my life and GMed for plenty of deckers. I've provided multiple demonstrations of how these rules are materially worse than SR3 (they're really about the same as SR4, which was also dumb, but with fewer extended tests). Other people who have weighed in on this thread have provided alternate explanations and demonstrations of the same phenomena. People who built the mechanical underpinnings of Shadowrun have assured you that you're wrong. All of us have provided examples of how the rules as written devolve into tons of rolls and eventual failures for the decker.

Your counter argument, as best as I can parse, is "it's better than before because it gives you tools and it looks like it takes fewer rolls." This entire post is about how it does not take fewer rolls, and the tools it gives you would require a rewrite of the system. Literally everyone else in the thread agrees with me.

No one's going to argue that the matrix was ever well written, well thought out, and that it enhanced play at the table. I've never heard a peep on this forum saying any edition's matrix was better than slipshod. All I'm arguing is that this one is particularly bad because the only means of security is infinite matrix perception rolls, and iterative probability means those infinite rolls will get the decker in the end.
Last edited by pragma on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Pragma, thanks for detailed answer.

I stand corrected. It seems my lack of actual play experience made those holes invisible to me. Also, I had forgotten how IC in 3rd edition awakened based on a security tally on the node, which is a much clearer/unambiguous method than the one from 5e.

What would suggest to house-rule at the table, to make it all faster and less ambiguous ? Would bringing back the previously cited "make sneaking successes the threshold for detecting opponents" work here ?
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

I would honestly suggest using Frank's Ends of the Matrix system. And SR4. Because I don't think quick patches exist for a subsystem as flawed as this one; you'd trigger so much emergent gameplay with houserule patches that you'd probably end up writing your own game sooner or later, and Frank's already done pretty much that for the Matrix subsystem.
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:I would honestly suggest using Frank's Ends of the Matrix system. And SR4. Because I don't think quick patches exist for a subsystem as flawed as this one; you'd trigger so much emergent gameplay with houserule patches that you'd probably end up writing your own game sooner or later, and Frank's already done pretty much that for the Matrix subsystem.
Thanks, but after a (fast) look it feels too complex for my tastes.

And the threshold based detection seems pretty trivial to implement here. It would be cool to know what people who have tried think of it.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

pragma wrote:I can't tell if this is disingenuous or just wrong again.
Don't talk to silva.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Ok, we played it.

My impressions:

1. As Pragma said, when you play the game the rules feel much more... "clunky", than by reading them.

2. The Priority chargen felt slower than it seemed by reading it, and more complex than what we remember from 2e/3e days (despite being more flexible). I think this was our biggest disappointment. While we prefer it to any point-buy system, we still hoped to create chars under 1 hour with this method, but in the end it took around 2 hours.

3. Combat felt as slow as it ever was. I thought that by allowing just one attack per phase it woud speed up things, but in the end it didnt felt so. Weird.

4. Hacking was fast as hell, and we didnt see the problems Pragma cited. Maybe because we sticked to wireless/AR hacking and avoided VR ? Dont know, what I know is that, for the first time ever in a Shadowrun game, a player decker didnt disrupt the group. Funnily, it felt like a D&D thief disarming traps in a way. Which is a positive in my view.

5. Combat felt slightly more lethal than we remember 2e/3e to be. But I was expecting it to be even more lethal, though. Dont know if I liked or disliked it.

6. Edge. We disliked it very much. Why create the concept of Limits when the players have this big authorial canon they can use anytime and simply ignore any Limits anyway ? And really, the critical points of a run are so obvious that the players are generally able to easily "edge their way out" of any complication, or at least this was our experience. We are already considering ditching Edge entirelly becasue of this.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

silva wrote: 2. The Priority chargen felt slower than it seemed by reading it, and more complex than what we remember from 2e/3e days (despite being more flexible). I think this was our biggest disappointment. While we prefer it to any point-buy system, we still hoped to create chars under 1 hour with this method, but in the end it took around 2 hours.
wtf., if it's more flexible, of course you need longer! Why is this an surprise?
4. Hacking was fast as hell, and we didnt see the problems Pragma cited. Maybe because we sticked to wireless/AR hacking and avoided VR ? Dont know, what I know is that, for the first time ever in a Shadowrun game, a player decker didnt disrupt the group. Funnily, it felt like a D&D thief disarming traps in a way. Which is a positive in my view.
You do know, you probably did it wrong? If you posted the situation and what your hacker did, someone could tell you where...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

So you praised the system before actually playing it? I don't think that's a very good idea.