Tome Game I Run

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I'm interpreting it as a 15ft (two size categories above medium) reach at BAB+6 and 20ft reach (three size categories) at BAB+11

With handy circular charts here:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/c ... -templates

Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'm going with Mage. Skills are now done.

Requested Magic Items:
Headband of Int boost and Feather Fall
Minor Staff of Heroics (Spc) (Not expecting to use it on scaling feats)
Amulet of Caster Level boost and the Darkstalker feat (Lords of Madness)
Boots of Resistance and Soften Earth and Stone
Gloves of SLA saves and Arrow Deflection (50% miss chance against the first physical ranged attack that targets the wearer each round.)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

1) I have decided we are sort of using Reb Rob's Magic Item rules. For the most part I like them. The only things are:

a) The listed stuff is iconic forms, you can still find or make an item that fits any slot and has any effects if you try hard enough.
b) Nothing interferes with buff spells, if you want to buff yourself to shit, you can just do that, as long as you are casting the spells yourself, not using items.
c) Also not the inherent bonus rules.
d) I still reserve the right to change or reject any items I don't like, such as Spellpower/Spell Recall, which as I read it, intentionally gives benefits that last when the item isn't using up your attument slot, which is stupid.

Also, on a side not, way to many one use or few use items, and I think those are garbage.

@Ogre: is your ancestral weapon a spiked chain? If yes, then no you can't use that feat, if no, then sure.
radthemad4 wrote:I'm going with Mage. Skills are now done.

Requested Magic Items:
Headband of Int boost and Feather Fall
Minor Staff of Heroics (Spc) (Not expecting to use it on scaling feats)
Amulet of Caster Level boost and the Darkstalker feat (Lords of Madness)
Boots of Resistance and Soften Earth and Stone
Gloves of SLA saves and Arrow Deflection (50% miss chance against the first physical ranged attack that targets the wearer each round.)
1) Sure
2) Okay
3) I will personally hunt you down, force you to print out your character sheet, and tear it in half in front of you, then I will delete the sheet on myth-weavers before I let you use that item.
4) Sure, assuming by resistance you mean saving throws.
5) Sure.

You also, as I'm pretty sure I mentioned, get a Tome armor, so you should find one of those. Keep in mind there are things that are not armors for the purpose of your lack of proficiency.
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Yeah I'm not using a spiked chain, settled on a huge great-axe (4d6 x3)

We using Red Rob's 'simplified Tome Armor'?
http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=53563
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

OgreBattle wrote:Yeah I'm not using a spiked chain, settled on a huge great-axe (4d6 x3)

We using Red Rob's 'simplified Tome Armor'?
http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=53563
No, just his Magic Items rules.

For Tome Armor you have a choice of Tomes/Surgo's/Josh's/Red Rob's if you want armors, and I will okay or not whatever your bring up.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Alright, I'm instead requesting:

Amulet of boost Caster Level and Sense Invisibility (Glow when something invisible is within 60 ft)

As I've got magic item creation feats, could I mod it to ignore invisibility effects made by me or other party members?

And requesting Functional Clothing (Tome pdf) of Light Fortification (50% chance to convert sneak attacks and critical hits to normal hits).

Requesting these spells for use with Shadow Conjuration:
Pathfinder
Drench
Air Bubble (Breathe underwater and maybe choke aquatic creatures)
Glue Seal
Aqueous Orb
Create Pit
Spiked Pit
Euphoric Cloud (Stinking cloud is better in combat but, free pot for socializing with NPCs)
Sundered Serpent Coil
Mad Monkeys
Rain of Frogs
Phantom Driver

Dndwiki
Ancestral Weapon

Some of Josh's Armors seem somewhat... exploitable.

The Spell type armors sometimes simply give more spells known to Spherelocks and/or Hicks' Mages who have unlimited spells. Adorned Wizard Robes (100 GP) allows the casting of Mage Hand, Dimensional Slide, Minor Creation and Legend Lore by expending spells for instance.

Saffron Robes grant an additional swift action, so Monks can have two fighting styles active at once.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I have never read Josh's armor rules, but since I know they exist I would not exclude a choice prior to reviewing it. Likewise, I said I would review any armor choice.

No you can't make the item apply to only some effects and not others. It is a magic item that glows when things are invisible around it. If things are invisible, it will glow. Even if you like those people, or would like them if you knew they were there, or have met them before.

You can have magical clothing, but if it has a less quality then it would have an enhancement bonus and would be one of your items.

EDIT: still working on spells.
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Item requests:
Nonmagical Adamantine Carapace (Red Rob version; proficient via background)
Parachute Pants of Charisma: Grants Feather Falling
Crown of Resistance and All Around Vision
Ring of Caster Level and Summon Trap-Triggering Animal
Amulet of SLA Saves and Arrow Deflection
Staff of Pyrotechnics [2/15] DC 23
Last edited by Grek on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Grek wrote:Item requests:
Nonmagical Adamantine Carapace (Red Rob version; proficient via background)
Parachute Pants of Charisma: Grants Feather Falling
Crown of Resistance and All Around Vision
Ring of Caster Level and Summon Trap-Triggering Animal
Amulet of SLA Saves and Arrow Deflection
Staff of Pyrotechnics [2/15] DC 23
Okay.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Requesting these spells for use with Shadow Conjuration:
Pathfinder
Drench Why when create water exists? So you can detect invisible people?
Air Bubble (Breathe underwater and maybe choke aquatic creatures) So... you want Spontanoues Transmutation too? No. There is already a spell that does this, it is transmutation.
Glue Seal Sure. I'm not sure I'd allow it as level 1, but that doesn't matter since you have up to level 3, but even as I say that, I am reminded that this is still you just gaining access to transmutation effects because Pathfinder had to write new spells, so they just wrote existing spells but made them conjuration creation.
Aqueous Orb Um... No. Aside from just being a conjuration version and more powerful (but still not actually that powerful) this is just Flaming Sphere. Seriously this is fucking annoying. You have Shadow Conjuration across all the D&D books, and you need to ask for conjuration copies of other school's spells from third party sources? Why?
Create Pit With each passing spell you make me want to say no to everything just to spite you for wasting my time. This is better than any 3rd level spell at terrain manipulation, no.
Spiked Pit No.
Euphoric Cloud (Stinking cloud is better in combat but, free pot for socializing with NPCs) This is not clearly less powerful that Stinking Cloud, but whatever, I'll allow it.
Sundered Serpent Coil I have no idea what that spell does, and neither do you. No.
Mad Monkeys Absolutely not.
Rain of Frogs Sure.
Phantom Driver Fine.

Dndwiki
Ancestral Weapon
Absolutely not for reasons would should be incredibly obvious.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I'm interested in Josh's chitin armor:
Chitin Carapace: Made from the exoskeleton of an Ankheg, or similar giant arthropod, this armor offers great protection and tends to make the wearers look like humanoid mantises.
4 Ranks Climb: You are ignored by Vermin until you attack them and you cannot be detected by Scent
7 Ranks Climb: You gain DR 5 / Piercing
10 Ranks Climb: You gain a Climb speed equal to your land speed
13 Ranks Climb: You gain a Flight speed equal to your land speed (perfect maneuverability)
So the armor we choose is 'non-magical', but can it receive one of the magical effects of our '5 minor magic items'? As a Tome Samurai is there a way for me to add additional magic effects to my ancestral weapon and use one of my 5 minor magic item slots for it? I'm avoiding getting activated item abilities

My focus is to get mobility and resilience so I can hit things with my giant weapon.

Magic item fiddly bonuses
-Enhancement to Deflection AC
-Enhancement to STR
-Enhancement to DEX
-Bonus to Saves
-Enhancement to... (does my ancestral weapon count against having 5 minor magic items? if it doesn't then an AC bonus)

Magic item effects:
-
-
-
-Aquatic: Iconically placed upon any worn item, this enhancement gives the user the Aquatic subtype, allowing them to breath water and swim easily.

-Speed: Iconically placed on boots and shoes, this enhancement allows the wearer to move faster. She gains a 5 ft. bonus to all her modes of movement for every two hit dice she has. (so +15' at level 7)

Samurai feats
-Hordebreaker
-Whirlwind
-Blindfighting

PC+Human Feats
-Combat Style: The use of oversized weapons
-Monkey Grip
-Danger Sense
-Giant Slayer
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Um... Those skill ranks don't seem right, since the last ability is usually supposed to kick in at level 16. Level 10 seems early for permanent flight for no class or magic item investment. Scale that back to level 16 and it is fine.

SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I'm interested, is a Jester okay? http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Jester_(3.5e_Class)
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

SlyJohnny wrote:I'm interested, is a Jester okay? http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Jester_(3.5e_Class)
Jester is fine.

Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

If there's still room, I'd like to play in this.

I won't be badgering you with things you have to approve, I'll just play a Tome Monk.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

My guy's pretty easy to make but I'm one feat short of having the character I want when we start at 7th. Largely that's because the Kaelik Wizard I'm playing doesn't get normal wizard metamagic feats and then has 14 levels you're meant to prestige out of but Tome has very few caster prestige classes. Any way that the Kaelik wizard might get a level filled in with a metamagic feat somewhere or that I could trade my Scribe Scroll for a metamagic feat Unearthed Arcana style, or trade my familiar for a feat, or make one of my items give me a metamagic feat, or that I could take some flaws for a feat?

If any of that's do able my character's done. He's a Kaelik Wizard who's good at blasting, if not that's fine too and I'll re-tool him. No biggie.
Last edited by Dean on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Given that I'm already playing a fire mage, you should probably not make a blaster wizard.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dean wrote:My guy's pretty easy to make but I'm one feat short of having the character I want when we start at 7th. Largely that's because the Kaelik Wizard I'm playing doesn't get normal wizard metamagic feats and then has 14 levels you're meant to prestige out of but Tome has very few caster prestige classes. Any way that the Kaelik wizard might get a level filled in with a metamagic feat somewhere or that I could trade my Scribe Scroll for a metamagic feat Unearthed Arcana style, or trade my familiar for a feat, or make one of my items give me a metamagic feat, or that I could take some flaws for a feat?

If any of that's do able my character's done. He's a Kaelik Wizard who's good at blasting, if not that's fine too and I'll re-tool him. No biggie.
While I would once again reiterate that if all you want to do is blast there are classes for that, I will also point out that there exist 3.5 PrCs that you qualify for that give metamagic feats as bonus feats. But if you really can't stand to play a level 7 Kaelik Wizard with only 3-4 feats, I might suggest not playing one.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Schleiermacher wrote:If there's still room, I'd like to play in this.

I won't be badgering you with things you have to approve, I'll just play a Tome Monk.
I love being badgered, but would prefer if people made their characters faster. Specifically, I cannot work on incorporating you into the campaign until I know literally anything about your characters backgrounds and motivations.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Grek wrote:Given that I'm already playing a fire mage, you should probably not make a blaster wizard.
That's the opposite of true. Dealing Hp damage isn't a protectable role. Damage synergizes, you will deal damage and I will deal damage and it will stack.

I will have a wider variety of utility spells than you do but less blasting ability and I think you'll all find I'll do just fine.

Item Check: 5 and an Armor
Armor: Mithril Shirt, +2 Deflection
Ring of Warding: +2 to Save DC's and Spell Effect Sanctuary
Ember Amulet: +2 to Caster Level and Fire Breath
Magehelm: +2 Int and Counterspelling
Delver's Belt: +2 Con and Darkvision
Luck Jewel: +2 Saves and Tremorsense

I'll post him if everything there works. Also I wrote him without this but if he can have taken a week off to throw himself in an Otyugh Hole at some point he'll have Iron Will which frees up a prereq for him.
Last edited by Dean on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dean wrote:Item Check: 5 and an Armor
Armor: Mithril Shirt, +2 Deflection
Ring of Intuition: +2 to save DC's and Spell Effect Augury
Ember Amulet: +2 to Caster Level and Fire Breath
Magehelm: +2 Int and Counterspelling
Delver's Belt: +2 Con and Darkvision
Luck Jewel: +2 Saves and Tremorsense

I'll post him if everything there works. Also I wrote him without this but if he can have dropped 3k and spent the week in an Otyugh Hole he'll have Iron Will which frees up a prereq for him.
Query, what the fuck is Otyugh Hole prerquing for? I should specify, absolutely no one will be playing a goddam incantatrix in my game.

Items:
If your armor is magic, it counts as a magic item and you only have four more, if you armor is not magic, it doesn't have a scaling bonus to go with the actual armor. In either case you are wearing armor which you are not proficient with, which means it has -4 armor check penalty, which means you have 20% spell failure.

I didn't notice that Rob's counterspelling item is different, and you didn't specify. You can have a book of gears counterspelling item, but not a Red Rob one.

Spell Effect: This must be a spell chosen from the 1st or 2nd level PHB Wizard or Cleric spell list that takes a standard action to cast.
Augury: Casting Time: 1 minute

No.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Kaelik wrote:

I love being badgered, but would prefer if people made their characters faster. Specifically, I cannot work on incorporating you into the campaign until I know literally anything about your characters backgrounds and motivations.
Megasoma is a monster hunter of the Kwangsong clan from a remote mountainous province that is functionally autonomous from major empires due to its remote location (also known for its mushrooms and hot springs) but pay lip service to whoever says they're in charge and provide monster hunters to take out whatever threatens civilization (such as magical beasts, marauding dragons, tarrasques waking up after centuries of slumber, etc. ...though there are vague rumors some 'monster' hunters have taken to mercenary work in political conflicts and assassinations). Megasoma journeyed to the black spire to go check out what's inside (hopefully monsters to fight... and maybe cook) and bring further glory to the legacy of his monster hunting ancestors.

(culturally something like Yunnan China+ Japanese forests):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycs7DIcWl-Y
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

OgreBattle wrote:
Kaelik wrote:

Megasoma is a monster hunter of the Kwangsong clan from a remote mountainous province that is functionally autonomous from major empires due to its remote location but pay lip service to whoever says they're in charge and provide monster hunters to take out whatever threatens civilization. Megasoma journeyed to the black spire to go check out what's inside (hopefully monsters to fight... and maybe cook) and bring further glory to the legacy of his monster hunting ancestors.

(culturally something like Yunnan China+ Japanese forests):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycs7DIcWl-Y
You are depriving me of my fun :( I was going to give you assholes good in character reasons for going to the tower that would also give you hints :( but now you take it all away from me.

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I know it's kind of minionmancy, but I am still disappoint at the complete lack of Cock Hurler in this game.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Alright, I'd like Disease Immunity on my amulet of caster level and Thieves Clothing (Red Rob) (Provides a +3 to Sleight of Hand).
Kaelik wrote:

Kaelik wrote:You are depriving me of my fun :( I was going to give you assholes good in character reasons for going to the tower that would also give you hints :( but now you take it all away from me.
So should we come up with backstories and stuff or not?

Also, Schleiermacher, Dean's fighting styles might be of interest to you.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.