Tome Game I Run

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dean wrote:Awesome. I'll correct him then. 2 questions:

1) Wondrous items in Red Rob's thing say that the 1/3rd bonus can be traded for a +5 bonus to skill. But they also have "Skill Bonus" as a lesser ability for wondrous items where you get a +5 competence bonus to a skill. It's above "Small Animal Summoning". I'll still change it if you want though.
Yeah fuck that. Stupid Lesser ability. If I wanted people to have only numbers I'd not have removed basic items from the game.
Dean wrote:2)I just had an idea to take Melfs Acid Arrow and throw it in my own face as an uttercold effect that I sustain as a way to get some fast healing. Not great sure, but an idea. Then I realized that Creeping Cold was on my Sphere list and that would be....crazy. Do you feel like Uttercold shouldn't work on Creeping or, I dunno, any instincts? If it works I'll obviously use it but its reasonable if you want it not too.
You can use uttercold on shit, buy Creeping Cold caps at 3d6, it does not scale up to 9999999999d6.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

On closer inspection of the item rules, several ideas I was going for don't work at all. Need to go back to the drawing board.

:bigfrown:
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Alright here's the summary of my character, Cabe's, backstory.

There is a city at the edge of the mountains that signify the deserts end. It is a beautiful place full of art, architecture, and trade. 30 years ago the noble King of that kingdom saw the beginnings of dark omens there. Water tasted of copper, dead animals were found, and his priests told him it was something in the mountain. The King pulled from his coffers and hired a band of brave adventurers to look within the mountain.

The heroes fucked up.

Something in that mountain was freed, something unsealed, some ritual not stopped and from the mountain the Demonkind flowed free. It had become some sort of Hellmouth, a bleed from the Abyss growing inside trying to open into the material plane. The King, a great warrior, died in a battle for the city against the first demon wave but the King had several sons and all but one were great warriors too. Those Princes became the defenders of the people, entering the Hellmouth and slaughtering its spawn before they would overflow into the kingdom. But over the years, one by one, they've fallen until now only one Prince remains.

Cabe is the Prince of an Oasis town at the edge of the desert. He is desperate to protect his home from a threat that he doesn't know if he can beat. Being the weakest sibling he turned to magical study and as the defense of his home fell more and more on his shoulders he has turned to darker and darker magics. By now he has practiced necromancy, bound demons, and even warped his soul with negative energy as a means for more power. The battles at the Hellmouth have gotten continuously worse and Cabe fears he might not win the next one so he is searching for anything he can find that might give him the edge he needs to stave off the destruction of his home a little longer.

It can be changed mad libs style to fit the campaign specifics. If there's already some town near where we begin then that can be the place. Cabe is the Prince of [PLACE], who is its last defender against the [EVIL THINGS].

They don't just evacuate the town for a few reasons. #1 It's in an oasis style location in a huge desert so there really isn't anywhere to go and #2 Because the whole point is that Cabe wants to preserve what is, one beautiful place in the whole world that he cares about. It's possible that he could turn it into a Spartan society to wage total war on the mountain but that's as much a loss as the town burning down is.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Item requests for my Witch character:
Spiderweb Clothing, from Red Rob's list. It's magic armour that gives immunity to poison and webbing.
Amulet of Spell Saves and Wood Shaping. Does Wood Shape, the 2nd level druid spell, once per eight hours.
Witchy Hat of Intimidation and Arrow Deflection.
Witchy Boots of Charisma and and Aquaticness.
Witchy Ladle of Wisdom and Dispelling. Dispelling is as per the weapon quality despite this not being a real weapon.
A price check on getting Permanency cast.

E: Ice9. If you want, I'm already planning to be brewing up some Oil of Shrink Item every week. Costs me a third level spell slot per 5 doses. There's probably enough for everyone to run around with handkerchief walls and anti-antimagic hats.
Last edited by Grek on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

PlaceholderName was kidnapped by Dark Ones as a baby, but the kidnappers accidentally wandered too close to Owlbear territory and were slaughtered. The beasts took a shining to young Placeholder and raised him as one of their own. Several years later, a retired Elf Druid adventurer decided to set up a grove in the area, and found Placeholder while looking around for wildlife to recruit.

Placeholder developed a knack for arcane magic as he grew older, and his foster mother sent him to a magic school in a nearby town. He joined a local theater as a special effects technician during his off hours. The theater fell under hard times and being unable to pay the staff, was forced to close. Placeholder was disappointed by this as he liked show business. He decided to go adventuring, hoping to earn enough money to start his own theater someday.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

What do you want permanencied?\

Those items are okay.

Those backstories are okay, except lets make the hellmouth devils instead of demons.

So you guys all have standard adventuring motives, so some stuff that happens is that regular traders along the path who usually hire or employ caravan guards of the type who you might know have seen a giant black tower of into the desert away from the trade route, but no one has reported going inside and coming out, or anything coming out of the tower. Just one day, no tower, next day tower.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Ok cool. I'll post a Myth Weavers version of the sheet by tonight.

Notes about Cabe's town, which you can name or I can depending on whether or not your module has any nearby town names: He's not in charge and he's not King. His father was King but then he died and Cabe's eldest brother became king and then when he died his son became the new king. So Cabe's nephew is the up and coming child king. Cabe is trying to protect the kingdom at least until that child grows to be a proper King.

So Cabe isn't viewed as the leader, he can't march the armies or change the taxes at his whim. He's respected and appreciated but he's not glorious leader.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Shrink Item, of course.

This tower, how big is it? Any doors, windows, ledges or other interesting features on the outside?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Grek wrote:Shrink Item, of course.

This tower, how big is it? Any doors, windows, ledges or other interesting features on the outside?
No one knows. You heard "Hey there is this big tower far away that is black." You have heard zero stories about people that have gotten close enough to be able to answer that question.

Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

How should we meet? I could d-door at the tower whenever so we all be looking into it and meet there or one of us could bring the others together if you don't have anything planned.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dean wrote:How should we meet? I could d-door at the tower whenever so we all be looking into it and meet there or one of us could bring the others together if you don't have anything planned.
Uh... you couldn't Ddoor at the tower. That shit has a range limit.

You can all meet up on the road, you can all go to the tower, you can all meet in the town/place and work it out from there, everyone else can meet you there, or be passing through on the way to the tower.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

I personally vote for meeting up on the part of the road closest to the tower. It seems to be the most interesting thing going on in the area, so everyone showing up there to have a look at it isn't even weird.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Kaelik wrote:
Dean wrote:How should we meet? I could d-door at the tower whenever so we all be looking into it and meet there or one of us could bring the others together if you don't have anything planned.
Uh... you couldn't Ddoor at the tower. That shit has a range limit.
I didn't mean once. D-door lets me travel at almost 100 miles an hour if I keep doing it. I assume I'd get there pretty swiftly.

Yeah meeting near the Tower seems logical. If there was a group of people near the tower and I planned on going into it I would definitely interview those people. I think that would be true of anyone and that's a reasonable way to meet each other.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Okay that't fine, but my point was that you have to see the tower to Dimension Door there. So you would have to hear about it same as everyone else.

So we have a Ogrebattle Samurai, a Grek Witch, a Dean Invoker that is bullshit because that class sucks and whomever made it should cut their arms off, and a rad Mage. We also have a possible Force Potentate Ice9. So are you going to do that, or do the items actually somehow make your character impossible, because apparently your character was 100% based around telekinesis somehow, and absolutely none of the other abilities mattered.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Possibly a Schleiermacher monk too.

I'm cool with meeting on the road.

Incidentally, Deep Breath from spell compendium let's me (but only me) breathe underwater by casting it as an immediate action. Blockade from Complete Scoundrel can be used to create 5 foot cubes of wood next to me as a swift action (they last 3 rounds).

What books can I assume I don't need to ask about for Shadow Conjuration purposes (I'm assuming at least Core and Spell Compendium)?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

What other books do you have. If it is 3.5, you probably don't need to ask. But I'd like to know in advance what books you are going to be drawing from at least so I can verify.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Be a gnome to really embody Kaelik's comment about Beguilers in the RoE review!

Kaelik, I'd be interested in joining too, especially as something that isn't necessarily another artillery piece.

How would you feel about a Warforged (the warforged artillery, ironically enough, that you wrote) White Mage or Curator?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:Be a gnome to really embody Kaelik's comment about Beguilers in the RoE review!

Kaelik, I'd be interested in joining too, especially as something that isn't necessarily another artillery piece.

How would you feel about a Warforged (the warforged artillery, ironically enough, that you wrote) White Mage or Curator?
Let me check to see if you were in the Tome Red Hand game, and if you are not permanently banned from my games for your actions there. It was either your or Avi or both, and I can't remember.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Fair. I don't think I was, but I could be wrong (could that have been J_E?)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

You were in fact, not in that game. So you can make a character for this one, at this point I might get to choose who is in, and that makes me happy, because I like excluding shit that I don't like almost as much as including things I do.

But to be clear, if at any point you suggest that I, the DM, should run your character for you in combat using some kind of script, instead of declaring your actions, you will be kicked from the game instantly, and I will put you on ignore.

This applies to everyone, I meant to put that in the first post, but I forgot, and was reminded by having to go back and figure out who was forever banned from any game I DM.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

ubernoob wrote:Hey Kaelik, what if I want you to pick the best illusion I could create at that moment to impact the combat? It's quicker than twenty questions to figure out what your limit of disbelief is. /s
Then your character will decide the best illusion he can think of is the illusion of you being kicked out of the game. Also he will temporarily be a Shadowcraft mage and the illusion will be 110% real.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well I'm glad I was already leaning more towards White Mage than Curator, because that would be pretty much the optimal way to handle Immediate actions. So White Mage it is, possibly with a PrC, I'll have to see what's around.

I was looking at Koumei's Robot Girl* race too, would that be acceptable instead of Artillery Warforged?

• Humanoid (Construct)
  • Medium: As a Medium creature, Robot Girls have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
  • Robot Girl base land speed is 30 feet.
  • Ghost in the Shell: As a creature with the Construct subtype, the Robot Girl has a Con score and everything, lacking Construct traits, but is treated as a Construct by any effect that specifically works differently against them, such as a Mace of Smiting or Favored Enemy (Constructs). Likewise, they can choose to count as a Construct for the purpose of taking feats, prestige classes and the like. Also, they have souls, and are partially made of metal, gaining a +1 Natural Armour Bonus. This increases to +2 at 6 hit dice, +3 at 11 hit dice and +4 at 16 hit dice.
  • Built: The Robot Girl can be healed by Repair spells as well as Cure spells, and gains a +4 bonus against Poison and Disease. They need not sleep, but can do so if they want. They still breathe and need food.
  • Lightning-Powered: They gain Electricity Resistance 10 + Hit Dice. Any time any Electricity is resisted, they count as having eaten a full meal. It is delicious.
  • Laser Eyes (Su): With a Standard Action at will, the Robot Girl can unleash rays of light from her eyes. She makes a ranged touch attack, and if it hits, the foe suffers 1d6 damage, plus her hit dice, as a [Light] effect and Dazzles the foe for one round. At 5 hit dice, the damage becomes 2d6 + hit dice, and at 10 hit dice it Blinds the target for 1 round.
  • Scanner (Sp): You may cast detect (magic/poison/evil/good/chaos/law) at will.
  • Automatic Languages: As parent race, Network Protocols.
  • Bonus Languages: As parent race.
  • Favored Class: Any
  • As ageless, artificial beings, robot girls can start at any age, including zero, do not age, and have equal height and 20% more weight than the Medium-size Humanoid race they are patterned after.
I should have a sheet and a background done up by tomorrow morning.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Absolutely not on that race.