The German government is hosting a Battlestar Galactica LARP

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

TheFlatline
Prince

The German government is hosting a Battlestar Galactica LARP

Post by TheFlatline »

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/26/79167 ... rp-germany

Geeky but way cool. It got me thinking that a loose adaptation of the board game into a LARP format might be a lot of fun at conventions or something similar.

The balance between military and politics with the hidden traitor mechanic would be interesting in larger crowds. The only thing I can't think of how you'd handle is pilots. It might be valuable to not even go there.

Edit: Sorry hit submit too soon. What kind of mechanics might work for such a setup? This is one area where the paper-rock-scissors social mechanics from the old white wolf MET might work okay. No supernatural stuff really to blow the game up.
Last edited by TheFlatline on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

I guess someone already did this. It kind of looks awesome I wish something like this could be done in the US:

http://petterkarlsson.se/2013/03/19/the ... tica-larp/
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

To quote SpoonyOne:

"...cause a rift in the Space-Awesome Continuum."
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Sorry I keep posting stuff but this is like all kinds of awesome. I guess the BSG larp cost like 150 grand to put on. The intro sheet actually does a great job of conflict resolution except for hand-to-hand brawling, it's kind of messy.

Also apparently they take their LARPs damn serious in northern europe.

http://www.alternaliv.se/briefings/TheM ... iefing.pdf
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Can someone persuade them to LARP Unknown Armies?
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

My friend Aaron is a big LARP guy and he is negotiating with the people who did this to bring it to the US in 2016.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:My friend Aaron is a big LARP guy and he is negotiating with the people who did this to bring it to the US in 2016.
If anything comes of it mind updating us? It looked expensive (like... a thousand bucks or so) but man that'd be a lot of fun.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Occluded Sun wrote:Can someone persuade them to LARP Unknown Armies?
Apparently their LARPS tend to focus strongly on themes and messages as opposed to wandering murder hobo style games. If you go look up nordic larp "scripts", you find all kinds of small focus, weird shit. It's like interactive small theater more than what we think of as LARPs.

That being said, why not adapt Killer into a UA/conspiracy style LARP?
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Definitely, Flatline.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.