D&D 5E Dragonborn Druid Social Justice Warrior

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ubernoob
Duke

D&D 5E Dragonborn Druid Social Justice Warrior

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Night Goat
Journeyman

Post by Night Goat »

Don't be That Guy.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Night Goat wrote:Don't be That Guy.

^ don't listen to this guy. always be That Guy whenever possible ^
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Only be that guy if everyone, DM included, is onboard. If the DM isn't on board, you can maybe see if he's willing to work with you a bit, but try to keep in mind that D&D is a game about smashing skulls and taking the shit previously owned by the skulls you smashed, not carrying the will of the people (unless said will of the people is to smash skulls and take shit. Les Mis might actually work in D&D...)

Now, if you can frame legalizing gay marriage as smashing skulls and taking shit, it could work out.

(of course Green Text DM is dumb. The more reasonable response would have been "nobles marry to secure alliances with children, so it's rare. Magic makes it feasible, but it's still uncommon. Among the nobles. Commoners don't give a shit past having more hands to help out, so they marry who they want if they don't need more free labour, and if they do need labour there's "an understanding" where children are produced in other ways")
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

ubernoob wrote:I'm not dead set on the roleplay except I want to say "check your privilige" whenever I can. I did a quick skim of the 5e rulebook, and everything seems kind of padded sumo. Is my best action really just to hire a dozen level 1 archers to kill the level 20 dragon?

Edit: equality by force. I will not be stopping the murder hobo.
No, your best option is snagging the wizards Animate Dead spell. Then you don't even need to spend money, you just spend spell slots and conjure skeleton archers. That's a 3rd Level necromancy spell, so you're looking at, what, 6 5 levels of wizard I think, 5th level death domain cleric, or 9th level Oathbreaker Paladin. Sadly it's not a Ritual.
Last edited by Ferret on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Just checked my privilege. Still awesome.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Or 6th level lore Bard. Dedicated Necromancers do it best obviously and if you want to be a tank that is also something Necromancers do extremely well.
Me in another thread wrote:By 5th level you can cast Animate Dead 4 times, long rest for 8 hours, then immediately cast it again. With 8 hours (and ten minutes) notice you can cast Animate Dead 8 times and walk into town with 16 Skeletons. You'll lose control of them by tomorrow but who cares? Destroy a town and if any of your Skeletons have survived just command them to stand there while you kill them and, by 5E's XP rules, you even get XP from it. Once the former Skeletons have been reduced to piles of bones they are now legal targets for more Animate Dead castings so gather the bones and bring them to the next town to do it again. It's the circle of unlife.

I think the winning move for a Necromancer would be to walk into town with 14 Skeletons and keep Vampiric Touch prepped as your last spell. Vampiric Touch gives you a 3d6 Necrotic damage melee attack for a whole minute that heals you for half of what you hit for and anytime you kill someone with it you regenerate 9 hp. A 6th level Human Necromancer could have 57hp and regenerate ~5hp each attack and 9hp each kill. That's amazing regeneration considering that he's wading into melee with his OTHER contribution of 14 Longsword attacks each round for 1d8+3 damage apiece.
Last edited by Dean on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

..and I am now willing to play DnD5e.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

übernoob wrote:Just want to roll some dice and troll people.
You shouldn't be rude. It's a D&D game. wELL, it's 5e but y'know. Trolling people isn't nice and should be reserved for internet message boards. You shouldn't try to be disruptive in someone's D&D game, even if they are dumb. You shouldn't want to be a minion-spamming necromancer just to break the game. That is really rude and this thread makes you seem like a big dickhead.

Furthermore, D&D is a game about solving problems with brutal violence and slaughter. People should have equal rights, but it seems really inappropriate to slaughter people in order to achieve gay marriage rights. It would be better to achieve this with more peaceful methods, and brutal violence should be reserved for causes like liberating slaves.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

This thread needs trigger warnings.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

you know the feeling when you open a thread and look at all the edits?
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
erik
King

Post by erik »

ubernoob wanted to join a 5e and disrupt it with a druid dragonborn social justice warrior, inspired by a 4chan thread where some campaign was disrupted by a character who rather than fighting the lich overlord before it could raise undead minions got the party on board to rebel against a kingdom to legalize gay marriage but unable to drum up enough support instead championed democracy and legalized gay marriage upon success.

And then the town was killed by the unimpeded lich and his minions.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

to each his own, I guess.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Defensive options are somewhat limited in the sense that "options" at all is a thing 5E dislikes. With that in mind heres what you can do.

Be a Human Necromancer. Your stat array will be this

Str 10
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 12
Cha 8

You also get a feat which if you're focused on defense will be "Tough" which gets you an extra 2hp per level. Good first level spells are Mage Armor, Shield, False Life, and Sleep which is still a save or die. Blur is an amazing second level spell which makes everyone who attacks you have disadvantage which is crazy. So you will have the stats above, you will hold a shield, you will have extra hp from Tough and extra AC from Mage Armor. By the time you get 2nd level spells you can keep Blur on when you fight and never be hit, if you do get hit you can use Shield and add +5 to your AC retroactively. All this is meant to keep you alive until you hit level 5 and get Animate Dead and Vampiric Touch at which time you win everything forever. Also 2 levels after that you get Contagion which will let you kill anything you fight that can't kill you in one round and since you have a heavy Constitution with extra hp, False Life's extra hp, disadvantage to any attackers attacks and a great AC means that you could probably solo anything in the game by level 8.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I'm not hating, was just trying to sum up. I shoulda found a word other than "disrupt" but I was trying to just bang out a quick recap.

If the table is down with it then it ain't disruptive.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

ubernoob wrote:Holy shit, thank you.
No prob. A couple notes. For attacks you'll be using Fire Bolt at range and Shocking Grasp up close until you get Vampiric Touch running. A fun thing about Shocking Grasp is that it stops people from being able to make attacks of opportunity so for the early levels you will buy a bunch of whips and keep them around your belt, then whenever you melee attack someone with shocking grasp (your only real melee option) you will also then back up and draw a whip as your movement. They get no AOO on you and if they try to re-engage you in melee you whip them when they provoke an AOO from entering your whips range. Between the 1d8 w/advantage from shocking grasp and the 1d4 from whip attacks your melee output should be extremely competitive with dedicated melee'ers.

Dont forget to start your day by casting mage armor on yourself and then immediately arcane recovering the spell slot. That way you can have two spells to throw at your first level combats.

I also checked Contagion and realized it comes online at level 9 not 7, sorry about that you'll have to wait till then to solo Pit Fiends and the like.
Last edited by Dean on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Dean wrote:... when they provoke an AOO from entering your whips range ...
In 5e "you can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature you can see leaves your reach." So the monster can walk right up to you and even behind you without provoking. This play doesn't work unless you have a juicier target behind you and move past the monster.

This also means that you can't zone for your back rank unless you get way out in front and that people with polearms are worse at controlling combats since they draw a bigger circle. Whee!

Devils advocate: this rule does mean that getting into fights is "sticky" since the other combatant only incurs a penalty when they leave. That's an OK result.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

That took a couple read throughs for me but I see what you're saying now. That unlike 3e enemies don't provoke when they leave a square you threaten but rather the entire area you threaten as a whole. That makes pole arms seem totally pointless in general but that's alright I suppose.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

this aoo seems to be the only good thing about 5e
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

You can take the Sentinel feat to acquire AoO when a hostile enters your threatened range. It also interrupts movement if you succeed on your attack. Polearm Master allows you to provoke an AoO when a creature enters your threatened range while wielding a Halberd, Glaive, or Quarterstaff, which makes it worthwhile for you as a mage.
Last edited by Ferret on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The truth is that 5e is an incomplete and incoherent ruleset. It is absolutely inconceivable that the authors intended users of reach weapons to be easier to run around because they threatened larger areas and were therefore giving up more free territory to run around in safely. Because that's stupid. Now, the rules do not say anything different, but that is because they aren't complete. 5th edition is written under the general assumption that you have a degree in D&Dology and don't need the rules to tell you how to set a DC or resolve hiding or any of that shit.

You're supposed to "basically know" how attacks of opportunity work in D&D, and the fact that 5th edition doesn't explain them well or even completely isn't weird for this edition. 5th edition is the edition that you cannot rules lawyer, because the rules aren't actually written fully compiled. They are a transcription of someone orally telling you basically what the rules are supposed to do, and then you have to back compile that into actual rules using your brain.

It's so lazy that it defies ready analysis. You literally cannot analyze most of the rules, because the authors were too lazy to actually tell you what they are.

-Username17