Quotes, 2015

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Ancient History wrote:Wishing you got in on bitcoin at the beginning is a bit like wishing you got in on selling gas to the Nazis or slaves to plantation-owners in the colonies. Just because something is profitable does not mean you or anyone else should profit by it.
reminded me of

"Yes, looking back, the world would've been objectively better if I had made Facebook. But it's like saying that if I did Sandy Hook, I'd have only killed 25 people."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

"The mangiest cur has never lied, never swindled, never borrowed with no intention to pay back, never lent while expecting interest, nor bit or scratched a soul except when the need came for it, and the most highly bred pup will admit they are a son of a bitch. Dogs in their natural state are nearer saints than most humans will ever aspire to be."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"Our species does not experience love, as humans do. The closest analogue is a specific type of brain damage. I am told it is not entirely unpleasant."
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

"I want to know where my life went so wrong that I have to clean cat vomit off a piano."
erik
King

Post by erik »

mrs. erik "See! I told you that's what was happening!
erik "I agreed and said that was the most logical explanation."
mrs erik "Yeah, but you sounded all sarcastic when you said that. You were snickering!"
she swore that she saw an advertisement for some slushee-drink on a window when she went into a gas station/rest-stop, and when it wasn't there upon exiting, she speculated that they must have been changing ad-signs, rather than that she was hallucinating... in my defense I was snickering because while I agreed with her, I couldn't find a way to agree without making it sound like I thought she was crazy.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Earthdawn has been a goldmine tonight

we're in the blood elven kingdom. My friend jim is playing an elf and wanted to visit the kingdom, but later became disenchanted with the bloodwood and has been fomenting rebellion amongst the peasants and is now leading a mob in a riot that has penetrated the palace...

these are all quotes from like the last 5 minutes of our session tonight.

jim: "Surrender now, corrupt royals, or this will result in your deaths"
(addressing a swordmaster prince and 7 year old princess)
mrs erik: "Jim, that's a little girl you're talking to"

jim: "I won't join the battle until I see how the mob is doing against the prince"
MC: "The mob isn't doing well"
jim: "WHAT?! Fucking mob! God dammnit, this fucking sucks!" ...
*grabs his head and begins acting like he was mind controlled* "What is happening? What happened to my brain?"

jim: "I want to point out, I wanted to go to Parlainth, and nobody wanted to go. This is what you get. Freaking bloodwood. It's all fake. This isn't the elven kingdom I wanted. I'm satisfied on some level I guess."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

"Sorry, I was unaware of the Plush Wild Shape feat."
-Me, when someone in the group expressed the belief that the auction house running teddy bear was a druid.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

There's no such thing as a conservative now. That's why it's conservative. It's based on tradition and it's always about the past. But people are always coming up with new shit. If not about gay rights, then about slavery. The fork was yesterday's iPod. The telephone was yesterday's email. The printing press did away with remembering stuff. Civilization collapsed because women were able to use the post office instead of giving correspondence to their menfolk. The back and forth between yesterday and tomorrow will never end. And the fear is that tomorrow won't be as good as yesterday.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

"If schadenfreude lasts more than 4 hours, call a doctor."
--seen on the interwebs
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

"It is so ordered."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"It took me years to figure out: the problem was, I cared about things. It got to the point where I was upset if things were wrong. Things I had no control over. Politics. Stupid arguments on the internet. The lives of other people. I was making myself ill worrying about all this shit, raging about it, wanting to fix it and being completely impotent about it. It got to the point where I was exhausted and sick of all of it...and that's where I found it, when I was at my lowest. I didn't give a fuck anymore. It was immensely freeing. It wasn't that I suddenly transformed into a massive self-centered asshole...I just stopped caring about things I couldn't control. The environment? I'll recycle when I can, but I'm not going to burst a blood vessel when Shell dumps a million barrels of crude in the Gulf again. You know they're going to. Politics? Change the channel. Reality television? Turn the television off, open a book. Dieting? I'm never going to have six pack abs, and even if I did that wouldn't make me happy. It would just make me a vainglorious asshole trying to attract a likewise toxic beautiful person in the gym. I'm happy at a healthy weight, pass me a steak and some salad. The rest of the world can go fuck itself. All of it. Really. I'm done."
erik
King

Post by erik »

me to my 6 year old: "You can't watch this movie, it's for mommies and daddies."
my 6yo: "Soon I'm going to be a daddy"
me: "Say what? I don't think so"
6yo "Well when I'm 16 we'll see how things are going"

Oh boy.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I see your son is a realist. I commend him on recognizing the truth of the world so soon.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"At times, we must laugh. The small-minded think it is to ward off madness, but this is false. It is to invite it in. Men must be a little mad. To be sane in this world - to see truly - there is only a succession of days leading to the vast emptiness. We are drops of piss into the flowing river which will one day change its course, or dry out. Less than nothing. To face that, in our quiet moments, is to draw nearer to it. All life loses its color, all purpose fades, all friends seem distant and joyless, food is tasteless and hunger is a mere gnawing in the belly, signifying one more empty ritual to fill the long hours. To know good and evil, to be sane, in that moment is to see what a mockery is life and all we have built or will build. So against that great quiet, we smile. We make noise. We see the great joke of it all. That breaks the spell. If there is only the now, then it is ours. The inevitable will come, just as it would. It cannot be changed, nor bargained with or bought off. If you cannot change it, and dare not accept it, then all you can do is change yourself. Laugh in the face of death, and go out into the world again. Hurt and be hurt. Eat and give to eat. Smile, as only a bastard may smile, who being free of all bonds fears no-one and nothing." - Succo, The Final Dialogues
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"For millions of years, not tasting good was a viable evolutionary stratagem for survival. Then, humans invented ketchup. The next Great Extinction began."
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

where's that one from?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Me.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

"The Heavenly Father and Mother Nature are both abusive parents."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"Human beings will always believe a crudity over a refinement; a dirty truth over a clean one. We all came into this world covered in shit and blood, naked and squalling, and our visions of the ancients of yesterday are dust-covered men and women who live close to the earth, to the meat and the bone of things. So when it comes time for truths, we more readily believe the sordid truth than the polite truth. It echoes within us as to how things truly are, when the thin skein of civilization is scraped off. No one wants to scratch a pauper and find a saint, when they can scratch a proper matron and find a harlot beneath those prim manner and careful robes."
- Succo
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

"Unfortunately, the development team was replaced by 1920s German Dadaists, who attempted to destroy culture through the lens of Magic cards."

-Jesse Mason describing Scourge the 3rd set of MtG's Onslaught block
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

"I need to call up my HP Lovecraft thesaurus before I can describe what actions I want to take."
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, Full Frontal Nerdity...

Ancient History
Serious Badass

name_here wrote:We already have a substantial supply of humans and are well-equipped to make more.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Vinny the Dog wrote:Ugh. CIA. I liked this guy better when he was actually Satan.

This is a conspiracy.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"Son, you can't just brew beer for a living." His mother sighed as she scraped the scales off the fish with a sharp flint knife. "I know it might be your dream, but this is the real world. You have to pull your weight with the clan and the tribe. You can't be sitting on your ass all day waiting for your pots to ferment. You need to get out there and catch a rabbit, or dig up some edible roots, maybe get some oysters. Now your sister...don't sigh at me! Look at her. She really brings home the venison. Has a lifemate to scrape the hides and everything. The same hides they use to make their house, to clothe their bodies and feet, to wrap up the baby...and while we're on the subject, when are you going to mate, mister 'I just want to be a brewer?' You think that flint-knapper's daughter is going to wait forever? If you want to even think about that, you need to get your priorities straight."