Quotes, 2015

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

"But in reality and for the existentialist, there is no love apart from the deeds of love; no potentiality of love other than that which is manifested in loving; there is no genius other than that which is expressed in works of art."
-Jean-Paul Sartre

"The man is 100 kilos of sex, violence, and rock."
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

"They wanted exotic, and we made it up for them. Exotic lands, alien cultures, knickknacks priced to move. Then they wanted authentic. Deep spirituality, real science, a piece of something far away that they could feel and see and smell and touch. Now...they want kitsch. They want the fantasy. The authentically inauthentic. We sold them on tiki idols and pencil sharpeners that looked like they were designed in wind tunnels; promised them a future we never planned to deliver and strange, far countries that never were. And they want them. They want the pieces of it."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"Worst scared in my life? Well, let's see. I reckon that would be the night when the cows weren't mooing, and the dog didn't bark, and Daisy slept through it all. See, you put a lot of trust in animals - their senses, I mean, their instincts. They know when something ain't right. Get a whiff in the air, and they get antsy, get moving, get vocal about it. Now when those things came - the cows, they didn't fucking make a sound. They didn't move. Them things, they just wasn't in their vocabulary. Didn't register to them at all, even when the flesh started to peel off their bones. The dog - I think it got a sniff of the blood. Saw it licking the trail it had left from the pasture. But when they came for the dog, the damned mutt just stood there. Looked right back at me. I'll never forget that. Big brown eyes. It didn't understand what was taking it apart. Didn't even seem to know it was happening. And Daisy...I was awake, but she wasn't. And I couldn't move an inch as it came up on her. She never woke up, you understand. It was like watching a rape. You feel guilty inside. Complicit. They took her apart and put her back together again, over and over. Poked and prodded every inch of her, inside and out, and she never stirred. Snored through it all. But the worst thing? I mean, the absolute worst? The whole time - the whole fucking time - all I could think as I sat there and watch that thing fucking take her ovaries out and put it in backwards, or scrape those designs on her ribs, was to hope and pray that I wasn't next. It was the anticipation, y'know? And that was the worst scared I have ever been."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"Men long for the 80s as they long for the rainbow after the storm, the first breath after emerging from the deep waters, the warm breeze that lies before a vast, dry desert they must cross."
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

John Oliver wrote:Hey, why did you just send me a picture of your dick?

Because I love America, that is why.
Last edited by ishy on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

ishy wrote:
John Oliver wrote:Hey, why did you just send me a picture of your dick?

Because I love America, that is why.
I just recently quoted that to my facebook.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"There are those who would embrace damnation; rather than ask forgiveness. To dwell in darkness; to spite those that walk in the hateful light. To indulge in all that is foul and taboo, to walk in the steps of the rebels and enemies of those who are their enemies, no matter the harshness of the freedom they find themselves in. For there are laws that are intolerable, names that they if they were written in flesh they would cut off them, blood of their blood that they would gladly let out to sever all kinship with those others. These are the heroes of Hell."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"They itch for a fight who know no better way; feeling powerless in their lives they seek to use what little power they have, even if it be only to flex their muscles and claw flesh from someone's eyes. Bound with chains they cannot see or break, of debt and law, they would spite for spite's sake, and gladly destroy all they own if it would hurt someone else. Why build, when all you build will go to another? Why earn, when all the coin shall pass through your hands to your debtor's? What is there to own, that another cannot take away? Your life is written on scraps of paper you can barely read, you were judged before you were ever born, and if life is a game than the deck was surely stacked against you from the moment your first scream stilled your mother's heart."
erik
King

Post by erik »

erik: "What's taking so long?"
mrs erik: "I'm changing shirts."
erik: "That takes like 3 seconds."
mrs erik: "I'm picking out the perfect shirt."
erik: "Oh, that will take a lifetime."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"What is the most horrible way to raise breast cancer awareness?"
"Mastectomy clown."
Last edited by Ancient History on Tue May 05, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"For there to be crime, there must be a society to offend. For there to be sin, there must be something to sin against. Alone and unhallowed, a person has not but their own head to contend with, and that is a test of character. Who cares for the heroes and silly saints, who make a show of their purity and obeisance in public? Any fool can follow the laws when all are watching. Show me a red-handed woman in the dark night, a man standing over a sleeping child with a rock clutched in his fist, a scholar who eyes the dying fire and the untouched tome as the snow falls thick and heavy. Then you will know the mettle of them, who under the gaze of none must decide for themselves what is a crime, and what is a sin, and what they are capable of in that terrible moment."
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Who's that last one, I love it.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

One of mine.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

How the fuck does "red-handed woman in the dark night" make sense in that context?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

It speaks of bloody deeds done out of sight.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Bravo
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Ancient History wrote:It speaks of bloody deeds done out of sight.
Except it makes no fucking sense, because all the rest of your post is about people in a position to make choices, and what choices they make, and that one is about someone who already did something as a result of the choice.

Hence not fitting.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

It's sufficiently ambiguous it could mean lots of things. Why the fuck are you having a hissycow over a one minute brainsplooge?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Ancient History wrote:It's sufficiently ambiguous it could mean lots of things. Why the fuck are you having a hissycow over a one minute brainsplooge?
1) You are an idiot for complaining that I am "throwing a hissy fit" by posting twice.

2) It ambiguous means a number of things that have already been done, and unambiguously means zero things that haven't been done yet. And therefore fails to go with the entire rest of the quote.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

C'mon, man, it's just some flowery prose. You're not throwing a fit, but you are giving him more flak than it really deserves.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Well, no. I really like it but Kaelik is correct that it doesn't fit the theme of the rest of the quote. I felt that on my first readthrough too but Kaelik never says what he likes and only says what he doesn't like. I agree with his critique and it's things like this that second drafts were made for.

When I do a stand up show I am delivering material that has been rewritten hundreds of time almost always. There is no shame in your material not being perfect in its first draft. You deliver the material you like then the audience gets to decide what they like. If they like it you keep it and if they don't you either drop it or keep working on it till they do.

The first example is the weakest for the sentiment AH is trying to evoke, the second example is the strongest, the third is solid but something better could possibly be found in one good brainstorming session and there's no shame in any of that because that's how writing works.

If I put up the first 3 jokes I wrote tomorrow literally everyone here would call me a hack. Drafts are your friend.
Last edited by Dean on Fri May 08, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Yeh, guess yer right.

Valium and 7-Up don't really lead to clear thinking on my part.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"I'm amazed no-one has tried a Rule 63 remake of the Princess Bride, where the Dread Pirate Roberta goes in search of her sweet Prince Wesley."
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

"I met staff members who were determined to continue to work, despite the knowledge that they might not get paid, might not even be able to get in to the building each day. I saw people who were working on the same manuscripts they'd been working on six months earlier, never knowing if they'd actually be able to produce the fruits of their labor.
In the eyes of those people (many of whom I have come to know as friends and co workers), I saw defeat, desperation, and the certain knowledge that somehow, in some way, they had failed. The force of the human, personal pain in that building was nearly overwhelming - on several occasions I had to retreat to a bathroom to sit and compose myself so that my own tears would not further trouble those already tortured souls."
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"Fire is the first and last and greatest friend of the oppressed. When a man or woman has nothing left to lose, no friends to turn to, no voice to raise against those - there is still the burning flame. For if not to burn down the corrupt edifice of the society they find themselves in, then at least the clean flame of denial, the consuming conflagration that says 'Whatever else you may own, you do not own me.' And there are many that would burn themselves and the world, rather than submit."