Retarded RPG lingo that ruins everything

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Retarded RPG lingo that ruins everything

Post by infected slut princess »

These terms are all stupid and anyone who uses them is no longer allowed to play RPGs:

Tank
Meatshield
Skillmonkey
Dip (like for multiclassing)
Nerf
Sword and Board
Aggro

Just wanted you all to know about this.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

You're very beardy, ISP.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Would you care to give some explanation on what is wrong with those terms?
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Grow up.
Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

"Immersion"

Sometimes I agree with the person saying "this hurts immersion". But it's one of those terms that, once it enters the discussion, everyone thinks they're entitled to use it in their own subjective way.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Okay, from now on we will talk about:

The really tough party member that is hard to hurt
The character that is just there to take damage whilst the other characters do something
The character with the highest number of skills
Gaining a small amount of power more associated with another class
Penalties applied in the name of balance
Sword and Shield
Making yourself a target for enemies in preference to other party members.

Thanks ISP, I'm sure our conversations will be much clearer now!
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
SubversionArts
1st Level

Post by SubversionArts »

Add "Toon" to that list.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

SubversionArts wrote:Add "Toon" to that list.
If by "add" toon you mean "replace the entire list with toon" I might agree.

But then again, the game "Toon" does exist, and telling the people who play it that they aren't allowed to play RPGs ever again seems a bit extreme.
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: Retarded RPG lingo that ruins everything

Post by Josh_Kablack »

infected slut princess wrote: Dip (like for multiclassing)
Go fuck yourself with a splintery plunger-- adding that one to your list of personal hatepeeves is is a full-on edition war salvo, and one which very likely puts you in the enemy camp of such a war.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Think before you post, ISP. Or better yet, don't post.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The first time I heard "toon" to describe a player character. Where does that come from?
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

OgreBattle wrote:The first time I heard "toon" to describe a player character. Where does that come from?
The only thing I can think of is this.

http://www.sjgames.com/toon/
Last edited by hyzmarca on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Toon gets used all of the time to describe player avatars in MMORPGs, especially World of Warcraft. Hell, even Knights of the Dinner Table used it.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I think 'toon' originated in text-based multiplayer games, just like 'mob'. 'Mob' came from 'mobile', but the etymology of 'toon' seems pretty opaque. Maybe from a cartoon-themed MUSH?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Someone on the internet suggests The Realm Online as being the first place it was used because the characters where very cartoon like.

Guess that is as good an explanation as any, but yeah, I don't see it much.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Everyone, isp has spoken, we must all listen and agree.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Koumei wrote:Everyone, isp has spoken, we must all listen and agree.
You heard the woman, but moh seriously ISP, why are all of those bad? I can understand the MMO connotations, and the tainting that brings on Tabletop. My circle has seen those words get abused, especially "skillmonkey" and "dip". I'm guessing on "Nerf", its the blame of League of Legends community, who spam that term for what they do is regular errata for that game.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Aryxbez wrote:
Koumei wrote:Everyone, isp has spoken, we must all listen and agree.
You heard the woman, but moh seriously ISP, why are all of those bad? I can understand the MMO connotations, and the tainting that brings on Tabletop. My circle has seen those words get abused, especially "skillmonkey" and "dip". I'm guessing on "Nerf", its the blame of League of Legends community, who spam that term for what they do is regular errata for that game.
Uh... regular errata that nerfs or buffs things is still regular errata, but is also a nerf. Nerf isn't a special super kind of change that is magically different from other changes.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
SubversionArts
1st Level

Post by SubversionArts »

Seerow wrote:
SubversionArts wrote:Add "Toon" to that list.
If by "add" toon you mean "replace the entire list with toon" I might agree.
Yes, please, replace the whole list with just Toon. After all, why even include "Tank" if you're not going to include "DPS"?
Seerow wrote:But then again, the game "Toon" does exist, and telling the people who play it that they aren't allowed to play RPGs ever again seems a bit extreme.
Of course not, people playing Toon are fine, that is an acceptable use. But referring to a character as a toon outside of that context should not be acceptable.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Toon is a good one. If anyone uses that, obviously they suck.

A few others:

Tiers (a la JaronK -- anyone who uses this term is not a human, but rather a vaguely human-looking animal who has been trained to roll dice and not shit on the floor)

Crit (just say "Critical" -- crit makes you sound like a knob)

Fluff (this is just a horrible word -- use "flavor" or something less stupid sounding)

Narrativist/Gamist/Simulationist (I still see people using these terms. Fuck all those people.)

Storyteller (what, because only the GM tells teh story? GM is better)

Big Bad (sounds like something a fucking 5-year-old would say -- grow up, losers)
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Well, as for the terms "tank" and "meatshield", the point is that the idea of a PC who wants to get focused on is pretty stupid on several levels. On the one hand taunt mechanics are really hard to sell without breaking verisimilitude, on the other if a PC is constantly focused on he either dies or is the focal point in every single fight and the obvious team mvp. That's simply bad for the game.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Okay, consider me trolled.
infected slut princess wrote:Fluff (this is just a horrible word -- use "flavor" or something less stupid sounding)
Bullshit. Fluff is a substance. Flavor is a quality. These words are not interchangeable.
infected slut princess wrote:Storyteller (what, because only the GM tells teh story? GM is better)
MC is better still.
infected slut princess wrote:Big Bad (sounds like something a fucking 5-year-old would say -- grow up, losers)
Bullshit again. Collaborative stories which are highbrow enough to require the use of cumbersome terms like "designated primary antagonist" in regular parlance do not have a designated primary antagonist in the first place. And for stories which do have one, "Big Bad" is spot-on.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Kaelik wrote:Nerf isn't a special super kind of change that is magically different from other changes.
Ah fair enough, I suppose my tabletop experience conflated some bits to think otherwise. Didn't know of its broad definition, as otherwise just really seemed like the fanbase would call everything a "nerf". Also part of it I suppose I didn't look at it granular enough, so didn't think things a "nerf" if the overall design was still good (this case the character is still good despite some of their features may've gotten dubbed down).

infected slut princess, wrote:Crit (just say "Critical" -- crit makes you sound like a knob)
Could you explain the others one you've originally mentioned? As while I understand term "Fluff" become a term of mockery to me from its overuse by White Wolf Fans in my area, why Crit? Crit is short, and far punchier sounding than saying "Critical", saying "you crit" sounds better than "you critical".

The rest make sense as well, Tiers as defined by that author, but what about Monk/Fighter/Rogue/Wizard Same Game Test balance points? I personally really like those for the standard of D&D, brings stronger defining of the game as its aged to the fold.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History