this is another of my please help me optimize posts

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

norms29
Master

this is another of my please help me optimize posts

Post by norms29 »

Pathfinder, just gained 5th level sorcerer, cha 23 counting magic items, a total of +17 to use magic device. for obvious reasons I've focused on save or Lose and battlefield control type spells, but since our party is just 3 casters (the others are an Alchemist and a Magus) and no meatshields (although the Magus is some kind of partial melee build.) I choose summon monster 2 when I hit level 5, and I thought I'd check here if anyone had any advice on choosing my summons.
After all, when you climb Mt. Kon Foo Sing to fight Grand Master Hung Lo and prove that your "Squirrel Chases the Jam-Coated Tiger" style is better than his "Dead Cockroach Flails Legs" style, you unleash a bunch of your SCtJCT moves, not wait for him to launch DCFL attacks and then just sit there and parry all day. And you certainly don't, having been kicked about, then say "Well you served me shitty tea before our battle" and go home.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Are you going to focus on individual monsters or pump out lots of weaker ones with the Superior Summons feat? Will your MC let you pick the alternate summon options? If the latter is true, hellhounds are absurd.

SMII, the small elementals have some exploitable mobility options, the lemure can see in magical darkness and fight okay in it, the giant spider has tremorsense for fighting invisible enemies.

Mount is a better spell if you just want to fill squares with ablative meat.
norms29
Master

Post by norms29 »

wasn't really looking to focus on it, but we do have ultimate magic, so maybe Augment summoning would could be a better feat choice for this level than Combat Casting. I had no idea what to pick actually, I was even thinking of taking some feats for the crossbow I've been using when I run out of good SOLs (Color Spray is starting to outlive it's usefullness.)
a note on magic, most of our magic items aren't optimum, our Mister (, or actually Miss )Cavern has held attempts to purchase magic items to semi-random availability, so we've kept more loot than we've bought custom gear. which is why I only have a plus 2 to cha from magic items and fight with a Xbow of speed.

not so sure about mount BTW, it specifies a light horse rather than a light war horse, and nothing in the SRD version suggests I'd have more control over it than a normal horse, so they might be liable to runaway. and certainly won't hold formation or attack without a rider, and we already bought war horses at 3rd level.
After all, when you climb Mt. Kon Foo Sing to fight Grand Master Hung Lo and prove that your "Squirrel Chases the Jam-Coated Tiger" style is better than his "Dead Cockroach Flails Legs" style, you unleash a bunch of your SCtJCT moves, not wait for him to launch DCFL attacks and then just sit there and parry all day. And you certainly don't, having been kicked about, then say "Well you served me shitty tea before our battle" and go home.
norms29
Master

Post by norms29 »

So I decided to just post my current character sheet, aside from the fact that I keep breaking the cardinal rule (Do one thing and do it well) are there any obvious mistakes in my spell or feat selection? are there any magic items for 10,000 gold or less that I should be trying to get?

Half-elf Sorcerer 7 (Fey bloodline)
Str 12 (14)
dex 14 (16)
con 15
int 12
wis 15
Cha 21 (23)

Feats
skill focus UMD
eschew materials
Combat casting*
improved counter spell*
spell focus: enchantment
spell focus: conjuration *
point-blank shot *(bonus feet)

skill ranks (total bonus)
intimidate 1 (10)
knowledge arcana 1 (+5)
knowledge nature 1 (+5)
perception 4 (+8)
Ride 3 (+6)
SpellCraft 7 (+11)
Survival 2 (+4)
UMD 7 (+18)

Derived stats
HP 54
Saves Fort. Reflex , Will
+5, +6, +8

AC, Flatfooted, Touch
18, 15 ,18

Cantrips: resistance*, Dancing lights, Daze*, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Mending, Mage hand
1st: Mage armor, Ray of enfeeblement, Hypnotism, Grease , Mudball*. (b)Entangle
2nd: Web, Glitterdust, Summon Monster 2, (b)Hideous Laughter, Blindness/deafness(ring of spell knowledge II)
3rd: Suggestion*, (b) Deep slumber, haste*
(b) is a bloodline spell. * signifies that I haven't used te spell yet, and so could change it at no cost.
magic items:
bag of HoldingII, +1 cloak of resistance, +5 ring of protection, +2 headband of charisma, Belt +2str&dex, Rod of quicken, ear-ring of sustanance, ring of spell knowledge II, Sorcerer's Robe, necklace of adaptation, Gauntlets of skill at arms. Wand of CureLight,
Weapons: Bonus , damage
Adamantine Dagger: +6, 1d4+2 (carries unknown sunrelated enchantment)
9-lives stealer: +7, 1d8+4
Xbow of speed: +7, 1d8+1
Last edited by norms29 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Interesting trick, if you take the Summon Evil Monster feat. It adds several types of Petitioners to the list. In Pathfinder, Petitioner is a template, not a single set of stats. And while it loses most qualities, it keeps stats and size.

Even sticking to races that could be playable, and normal stats, you can get some nice tank options, which get DR 5/- and fast healing by being Hunted. You want a flying minion? Strix Petitioner has you covered. And if you want to go all the way to the cheese side (and have an extremely permissive DM) then you could do some bullshit like a Titan Petitioner.
Last edited by Ice9 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.