[Tome] Dungeons and Druddigons Adamant Version

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

[Tome] Dungeons and Druddigons Adamant Version

Post by Prak »

Characters
Radthemad4- Knox, Feytouched Pokemaster Pixels- Luca, Aasimar Pokemaster

Darth Rabbit- Kentaro, Kitsune Warlock Griffinsummoner- Drast, Human Dragonfire Adept Mask de h- ??? Bard

OK, I'm going to give this a shot. It's been a bit since I tried to run a PBP game, but it's also been a while since I got my gaming fix and that's not likely to change in meatspace until mid-January at the earliest.

So, I'm going to run a Tome Pokemon game set in Faerun, specifically the North, with stuff from Pokemon added in and adapted to a fantasy setting. So Pokecenters are tied to temples, Pokeballs are made with magic rather than technology, Gyms are often part of the power structure of their city, and so on.

The North Region Gyms are:
  • Hellgate Keep of the High Forest- Lead by Akarin, a Tiefling specializing in Dark types
  • Eagalion's Nest of the Savage Frontiers- Lead by Kralgar Bonesnapper, a Human barbarian chief who specializes in Flying types
  • Mithral Hall of the Silver Marches- Lead by Bruenor Battlehammer, a Dwarf who specializes in Steel types
  • Bryn Shander of Icewind Dale- Lead by Cassius, a Human Paladin who specializes in Ice types
  • Undermountain, "Secret" city of Waterdeep- Lead by Halaster Blackcloak, a mad artificer who specializes in Ghost types
  • Waterdeep- Lead by a masked leader, only known to be of the ruling council, who specializes in Water types
  • Neverwinter- Lead by Lord Nasher, a Human who specializes in Fire types
  • Silverymoon- Lead by Alustriel Silverhand, an Elf wizard who specializes in Psychic types
The idea is that characters will be a team of poketrainers seeking to complete the gym challenge and face the Elite Four, who will of course stumble into a criminal plot around the time they hit Gym number three.

Starting area is negotiable, gym order is at your guys' discretion. I'm still working on some things, but I wanted to post this and start getting an idea of who's interested and what they'd be playing.

Character Creation
  • Level 3
  • Everyone rolls two ability score sets, posts them, and people pick the set they want to use.
  • Use the Tome pdf itself as your first reference, I'll look at other things written to Tome standards on a case by case basis.
  • People can use ACFs from here so they can be something other than a pokemaster if they want.
That should cover things for now. I'll get an equipment price list up in a few hours.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Haven't really 'kept up' with Pokemon in years but I'd love to play this (kinda swamped for the next few days, but I think I can make time). Also need to brush up on Faerun lore.

Is Wiseman's mystery dungeon material allowed?

10, 12, 13, 15, 15, 16
10, 12, 14, 14, 16, 18

Woohoo!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm a little hesitant to include the actual pokemon from that, since it is designed with the intent that players would be playing those pokemon. Which would be an odd fit with a party of trainers. I'll look through the items and such, but it looks like the feats are either stuff Koumei made for pokemon, or tome feats, and those should be fine for pokemon to have.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I was intending to be a trainer with one of those as a starter, but yeah, they'd need ability scores generated or picked for them and they might be more powerful and/or versatile than most non PC Pokemon of equivalent CR.

Trainers get Tome feats but Pokemon don't right? Also, can we swap out feats Pokemon come with when they level up?

How do we pick starting gear?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Pokemon has at most 3v3 combat. Most D&D parties though are 4 or more people.

In your setting is it basically everyone sends out one pokemon and teams up vs an equal amount of foes?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, for unstructured battles, that's pretty much what it would be. When you're taking on Zhentar grunts, everyone sends out a 'mon and takes them out because the teams are like the Assyrians or Kuo Toa, in that they aren't playing buy the usual rules, so the league isn't going to make noise about official pokemon battle rules there.

When a group takes on a gym, they have the option of doing so as a group (because this is D&D, where the basic unit of adventure is "party," not a game boy game where the basic unit is "trainer"), or singly, if they wish. And some gyms will do X on X matches where the leader sends out pokemon equal to the number of challengers, and some will do X on 1 where they use a single 'mon of higher level than they would for single battles.

BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

Maybe I'm blind but is there a central location for the rules or do I need to dive through that thread?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Trainers get tome feats, pokemon can take non-scaling tome feats such as those from Tome of Fiends and related (and I say this because there are Fiend and Elemental feats that would fit them quite well)

I'll let pokemon "forget" feats, as they might forget moves in the games, provided they're not defining stuff like an Ability. That might need a bit more explanation as to how they're doing it. Like, how is your Slugma forgetting how to be composed of magma?

As far as a central location of rules, I started working on a set of pages for my Greyhawk wiki, here, and I'll be putting some more stuff in there today. Since there's a huge number of monsters in D&D already, and statting up pokemon is pretty easy, the Bestiary page is basically my lowest priority. Basically I figure people can say "I'd like to use Lucario as my starting pokemon" and I can track it down if it's been statted and link to it, or stat it up as needed.

Generally, I figure prices for scaling items as if they were the lowest bonus for that sort of item. So Magic Armour costs 1000g at base, and then I'd probably say a Minor quality is 2000g, a Moderate 5000g, and a Major 10,000g, or something like that, because those "you have this many minor/moderate/major items for this level" things always leave a lot to be desired in my eyes. So use WBL (2700g for 3rd), and look at basic magic stuff as if you were making an item with a bonus of +1 by the standard item creation rules, and we'll talk about more involved stuff case by case.

I've been doing job hunting stuff, so I haven't had a chance to do the pokemon item prices, I'll be doing that this afternoon.

Bears, most of the stuff from that thread that's not statblocks is in that link, repeated here.

Pokemon Contest rules are here for people who might be interested in that.

I've got two meatspace players who expressed interest in a pokemon D&D game who have right of first refusal. Beyond them, I'm looking at taking on another 2-4 players, and 4 is pushing it.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

BearsAreBrown: You can find the stats for most pokemon here. Many D&D monsters also qualify.

Prak: How many mons do we start with?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Color me interested.

Would you be assessing the XP penalties for Pokemon death? What books are available for picking starting Pokemon (MM I-IV, Fiend Folio, etc)?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

No, XP penalties are bullshit, and in general mon's aren't likely to do a lot of dying. An official league match is non-lethal only (ie, no auto-kill attacks, like Petrification), and you shouldn't be extra penalized when you've already lost a class feature because some Rocket Grunt shot your pikachu with a bow.

Actually, thinking about it, here's what I'll say about 'mon death-

All Poke'Temples are equipped with a Rest Slab, an altar-like magical item with six recesses to hold pokeballs, which, at a command, fully restores the hitpoints of the contained pokemon, cures any status conditions they are suffering, and will raise pokemon which have been dead for no more than 10 min./HD. Use of the slab is free, but donations are encouraged.

So, if your pokemon dies, you've actually got a window of time during which it can be raised for free. There may be people wandering around with miniaturized versions of the Rest Slab.

All books are fair game, but I want to look things over before the game starts, just to make sure there's not some completely broken thing slipped in.

Edit: Oh, yeah, starting number of pokemon-

So, the way things work currently is the Pokemaster can have a number of pokemon equal to their Con mod considered Controlled at any given time, and anyone training through an ACF has a single pokemon, and then another they can control around level 11, and then possibly another 'mon or two later on.

Switching which pokemon you count as Controlled takes 10 minutes.

Let's start with that, and if after a bit it doesn't feel enough like pokemon, we can revisit it.

As for how many pokemon you can have to switch control between, that really depends on how many pokeballs you have. I'm going to make them cost a good bit less than the Pokemaster class says they do.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, I've got a thread in IMHO where we've been talking about some stuff, and I should confirm some of the things mentioned there for this game-
  • No flying type The flying type is a useful kludge in a video game, but in a game with a battle mat- even if it's just me with excel or graph paper or something- it's not needed so much. It'll destabilize the type interactions somewhat, but it shouldn't be too bad, because the Flying type is replaced with things simply being in the air. Though- just being in the air doesn't necessarily mean you're more vulnerable to freezing attacks and chunks of rock lobbed at you.
  • More than two types allowed Again, the two type thing is kind of an odd thing that works for the video game, but leads to unusual kludges, like the Levitation ability so that things can be two types and still be immune to ground attacks because they're not on the ground. Flying is actually a strangely common offender here, what with scyther clearly still flying after evolving into scizor, but it's type changing to Bug/Steel, or Gyarados pretty clearly being a dragon, but completely lacking that type. With the addition of D&D monsters as pokemon, this will get more important, as dragons are often logically three or four separate types (black dragons being Dragon Poison Water types, at least, for example). So some things will just have three or more types.
  • (Sub)Type Specialization First, these features of the Pokemaster will be replaced with just specializing in Pokemon Types. Second, a player has asked about them lowering effective CR of a pokemon for the purposes of control. I'm not sure about this, since it could have a pretty big effect on balance, so I'm curious what others think.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm interested, though I'm at work and didn't take any dice with me. Weird, I know*.

I'm good with those changes listed. As for lowering the CR, as long as you can't control something with a (real) CR above your level it should be okay. Even equal is a bit shaky as you can slap bonuses on it, swap them out and so on, but should generally work without too much hassle in a game where people usually change monsters about.

*Chances are usually pretty good that I have a d6 somewhere in my bag or coat.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

This doesn't even fucking make sense.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, that's my concern. Especially since the Pokemaster class is just "Can control pokemon with CR less than your CL" and "a number equal to your Cha mod," and the ACFs are just "You get a pokemon! It's CR is 1 less than your Class level." So "A pokemon with CR equal to yours" is basically the only way for an effective CR reduction to work.

I'd rather say that Type Specialization either allows you to control an extra pokemon, as long as it's that type, or work sort of like Augment Summoning for pokemon of that type (only instead of Str, it's whichever ability score is meaningful to that pokemon).

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Actually, I think it might be best if I don't join: as much as I like the idea, the fact is I don't tend to stay active in these games, particularly when most players live in the US and I wake up to find a whole load of posts have happened. And I have a lot of sleep that needs doing.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Fair enough, I wanted to at least give you the chance, since so much of the pokemon stuff on here was written by you.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, looks like Radthemad and pixels are interested and maybe Bearsarebrown and Ogrebattle?

Plus I know one of my two meatspace players are in.

Can I get confirmations, and maybe some talk about what people are thinking of for characters? Looks like my friend is going to do a dragonfire adept with a poketrainer ACF.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'm somewhat occupied for another day I think, but you can confirm me. I'm interested in a vanilla pokemaster though I haven't decided what pokemon to start with yet. I'll try to put something up within a day or two.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Yeah, I can definitely play. Here are rolls, though nobody will want to use them:
9, 10, 14, 12, 8, 15
14, 17, 13, 8, 16, 11

I will be playing a vanilla Pokemaster as well. I figure I can leverage some versatility over the raw power an ACF brings. Just to clarify, is the number of Pokemon a Pokemaster can control equal to her Con mod (as you posted above), or her Cha mod (as the class lists)?

I can have a character sheet sketched out today, though I might need a bit of time to look for a handful of sweet starting Pokemon. I have a couple ideas, as long as you don't mind me using a few templates (e.g. a Rock-type mineral warrior wolf). I will pass everything by you of course once I have a firmer idea of a good lineup.
Last edited by Pixels on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Dibs on Abra, Grimer, Happiny and Torchic.

For trainer feats, I'd like to take Marshal, Bag Full of Knick Knacks and Words of Encouragement
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I'm interested.

So we create a level 3 pokemon trainer class right? Where is that located? All I see is a link to Koumei's list of alternate class features.

How many Pokemon do we start with? I think it might get kind of hectic if you have 4 players each with 6 Pokemon. Do the trainers fight themselves? Or are trainer stats more for out of combat actions?

As for Pokemon, I want to start with nidoran(m) and/or tentacool.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Pokemon Trainer/Monster Tamer class

Nidoran

Can't find Tentacool on the wiki, so it'll need to be made.

If you're a trainer (i.e. you're not using an ACF of something else), you can control a number of pokemon equal to your CHA mod though you can own any number of Pokemon and switch control in 10 minutes time. Pokeballs cost 200 GP each if bought, or 100 GP and 8 XP if crafted yourself, though Prak said he'd decrease it. He didn't specify how many we can start with. I just assumed trainers start with CHA mod pokemon.

If you're using an ACF, you get one pokemon under your control, though I suppose you could own more and swap which one you control using 10 minutes of downtime.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Oh, I was not aware we were using Frank's/Koumei's Pokemon monsters as well as the class. After giving them a read over, I will definitely put dibs on Meditite and Venonat. Koffing also looks pretty sick.

Regardless, I assume there would be no objections to new Pokemon crafted out of D&D monsters? I have been bouncing the idea of a Vivacious Grig as a Ghost/Fairy around my head since yesterday. Meditite puts to shame any of the bruisers I was contemplating, but I will probably pack something different like that Mineral Warrior Wolf I mentioned for variety and as a backup in case Meditite faints. A Corrolax (probably with some template or evolved HD) should round out the bunch.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, sounds good.

To clarify a few things-
  • Player characters may be Pokemasters or characters of other classes with an Alternate Class Feature that grants them control of a pokemon.
  • Pokemasters do indeed use Cha to determine number of controllable pokemon, not Con. I mistyped.
  • Characters can start with their max-controllable number of pokemon.
  • Pokeballs will cost 50g. Given that we're starting with 3rd level wealth, and pokemasters can make their own balls, I don't think it's unreasonable to say people have to pay for the balls for their starting pokemon (beyond the first)
  • Non-pokemaster characters can have more than one pokemon, they just can only consider one controlled at a given time. An uncontrolled pokemon must be convinced to follow orders using diplomacy/handle animal/etc.
  • Already statted pokemon are a bit of an odd case. Frank's pokemon were statted a long time ago, and were generally made with the assumption of using them as normal D&D monsters, while the pokemon Koumei and I and others statted were statted a bit more recently, using rules for types and such, as well as an attempt to make HD=CR=Level. We're not going to stick too closely to that goal of HD=CR=Level, because it would require an overhaul of D&D. Go ahead and pick what you want (and I may allow immature versions of some that would normally have too high CRs), and I'll give you whatever changes I think need to be made to make everything roughly level.
  • No problem with traditional D&D monsters used as pokemon, just bear in mind that only "Aberration, Animal, Dragon, Elemental, Magical Beast, Ooze, Outsider, Plant, or Vermin which advances by 'Hit Dice' rather than 'By Character Class'" qualify as pokemon. Added templates are fine, so long as the CR is still in limits..
  • In an official league match, or a match fought by league rules, only pokemon fight. Outside of that, say, against a wild pokemon, trainers may fight beside their pokemon, and it's not uncommon for someone's first pokemon to be something they subdued on their own.
  • I'm going to go ahead and make "Light" a pokemon type. It has a mutual weakness to dark, is strong against ghost and bug and weak against grass and fire. Assuming Vivacious is the positive energy template, iirc, that would make it a Light type.
  • I have a wiki I'm working on adding things to, which I linked to above for the pokemaster and ACFs, but will link to the main pokemon page of here.
Rad, those feats should be fine.

Tentacool
Small Magical Beast (Aquatic)
Hit Die: 1d10-1 (4 hp)
Initiative: +3
Spd: 10 ft, Swim 30 ft.
AC: 14 (+3 dex, +1 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+0
Attack: Tentacle +5m (1d3-2 plus poison) or Supersonic +5 rt (Confusion, DC 9)
Full Attack: 4 Tentacles +5m (1d3-2 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5'/5'
Special Attacks: Agile Wrestler, Supersonic, Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Water and Poison Pokemon Traits,
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 16, Con 8, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +7 (+11 in water), Swim +7
Feats: Weapon Finesse(B), Liquid Ooze or Clear Body
CR: 1/2
Advancement: 2-7 HD (Small), 8-12 HD (Medium), 13 HD (Evolve to Tentacruel)

Tentacool are small pokemon that are primarily water and poison. They are hard to spot in their natural environment, and known for stinging and shoot lasers at unwary fishermen, but also for being good on toast.

Agile Wrestler (Ex): Tentacools aren't particularly strong, but they are very agile, and can use their Dexterity mod in place of their Strength mod for grapple checks (reflected above).

Supersonic (Su): At will, a tentacool may, as a standard action, fire a ray at a single target as a touch attack. If this ray hits, the target must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 tentacool's HD+Cha mod), or suffer the Confused condition. The tentacool is considered the caster, and instead of the usual actions, a roll of 1-50 indicates the creature may act normally, and 51-100 indicates the creature has stumbled, run into something, or otherwise caused injury to itself, suffering 1d4 damage. Confusion inflicted by Supersonic lasts until the target has acted normally 1d4 rounds total.

Skills: Tentacools have a +4 racial bonus to hide checks made in water, and, as creatures with swim speeds, a +8 racial bonus made to swim checks.

Additional Hit Die
Every 3 HD, tentacool's dex inceases by 1.

At 2 HD, tentacool gains Constrict.

At 4 HD, tentacool learns Acid Spray. This is a ranged touch attack that deals 1d4 acid damage per two hit die of the tentacool, and forces the target to make a Fort save or suffer a -4 inherent penalty to either their AC or saves against damaging non-extraordinary abilities (tentacool's choice) until the end of the encounter. This is a [Poison] attack.

At 6 HD, tentacool learns Water Pulse. This acts like Supersonic, except that it also deals 1d6 damage per two hit die, and is a [Water] attack.

At 8 HD, tentacool evolves in Tentacruel.
Last edited by Prak on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.