[Tome] Dungeons and Druddigons Adamant Version

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

My only real reservation about the Cassisian is the at will cure light. I will allow it without that and the caveat that it cannot become a Malikim (without you losing control of it), and call it a Ghost/Light/Steel pokemon.

Ok, I'll allow scaling feats on pokemon for their basic (+0 BAB/0 ranks/whatever) bonus only, purely because that would admittedly be cool.

Although of course the best use of HM Slave is to put it on a magikarp that you then wield.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Prak wrote:My only real reservation about the Cassisian is the at will cure light. I will allow it without that and the caveat that it cannot become a Malikim (without you losing control of it), and call it a Ghost/Light/Steel pokemon.
I'm cool with that. Pixels has a Vivacious Nixie, so we're covered in the healing department.
Prak wrote:Ok, I'll allow scaling feats on pokemon for their basic (+0 BAB/0 ranks/whatever) bonus only, purely because that would admittedly be cool.
Looking forward to ceiling crashing :D
Prak wrote:Although of course the best use of HM Slave is to put it on a magikarp that you then wield.
I think I might do that next time I play a Pokemon d20 game. Maybe a Monk or a Samurai, with one as an Ancestral Weapon.

New Question: How're you handling crafting?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Yeah, Vivacious is an infinite wellspring of healing. If that's a problem I can swap it out for something else. Heck, I wouldn't mind having a Cassisian of my own, they're really powerful.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Pixels wrote:Yeah, Vivacious is an infinite wellspring of healing. If that's a problem I can swap it out for something else. Heck, I wouldn't mind having a Cassisian of my own, they're really powerful.
It's unlimited times per day, but it has 1d4 rounds between uses unlike the Cassisian's at will. If my calculations are correct*, it should on average heal 30 HP per minute which makes it awesome for out of combat healing, but okay at in combat healing.

1d4+5=7.5 HP healed per casting
Once every 1d4=2.5 rounds=2.5*6 seconds=15 seconds
7.5 HP per 15 s, so 30 HP per 60 s
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Plus the aura, which effectively gives fast healing 1. But no, it's definitely not a serious in-combat healer. It would frankly be dangerous to even try, because if it accidentally overheals somebody they have a chance to explode as if they were on a positive energy dominant plane.

If you're doing much in-combat healing at all then you're in trouble. It's hard to justify spending a round healing somebody for a handful of HP, when a combat-focused Pokemon is dishing out double- to triple- that much damage.
Last edited by Pixels on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, basically Vivacious pokemon have a poke'ability of "Healing Aura- All adjacent pokemon gain 1 hp/round" (in VG terms), and a special healing move that gets disabled for 1-4 rounds.

It'd be kind of a powerhouse in the VG, mostly because the healing move would probably heal ~25% health in the game, but in D&D, it's not a huge deal. It'd be good for a chansey or some other healer type pokemon, though.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Grimer's Foul Stench might be kinda inconvenient as some party pokemon and all horses have scent.

I'd like some sort of grappler, so is it okay if I take a Terlen from Fiend Folio (page 174)?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Christ that's a poorly written monster (no indication of whether it breathes air or water, no indication of how it moves beyond an implication that it just magically moves, and yet no mention of it's flight being magical as opposed to winged)

Yeah, the Terlen is fine. I'm going to say that both it's respiration and locomotion are magical, so it basically adapts to whatever mundane environment it's in (but that doesn't give it burrow if it's buried. On the very rare chance you get stuck in an Anti-magic zone, maybe don't bring'm out.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Vivacious is kinda the inverse of color spray, which kicks ass right now (part of why I chose the Corollax; Color Spray on a stick is good up to level 6 or so, at which point I can shoot for Yamask. Actually, since Yamask is Undead, it technically can't be controlled as a Pokemon.) But it would suck in the video games, as it would be a OHKO move (knocks weak foes out, lesser effects on higher level foes.)

The only way the Terlen could be more metal is if it had chainsaws for teeth. I think it can tell logic to fuck off.

So what precisely can Trainers do in a Gym Battle, other than command their Pokemon (if anything)? Can they cast spells and shit on opponents' Pokemon?

Also, how much do Poke Balls weigh?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Normal plants and undead aren't controllable, but I would assume Bulbasaurs and Yamasks are controllable because they are specifically Pokemon.

I'm hoping Pokemasters can take non-attack actions during trainer battles, like casting buffs (if they have them) or using the Rally/Words of Encouragement feats or passively providing supports with auras. I personally took Rally because giving my Pokemon an extra attack action is going to be better than using my own standard action most of the time, and not being able to use it during a trainer battle would be really sad.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I'll say pokemasters can make non-attack actions in a batter. They can buff and heal and direct pokemon like summoned monsters, but not cast offensive spells or attack in anyway.

Yeah, there will be some exceptions to the rules that only certain types count as pokemon.

Pokeballs weigh 4oz (4/#)

I'm house-sitting Sunday-Tuesday, so for lack of anything better to do, I'll probably put up an item page on my wiki finally.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

My guy's going to suck fighting Gym Leaders then, since I'm pretty sure that the rest of the party is not cool with me cheating. So if the campaign is primarily going to be fighting Gym Leaders, I should probably change characters, or at least extensively rewrite Kentaro.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Prak said we'd run into Team Zhentar trying to take over the world around gym 3, so there'd be that too. Your corollax would probably be pretty helpful in battle, so I don't know what you're worried about. If you want Kentaro's actions to help out his Corollax while keeping his character more or less intact, you could maybe swap out Dreadful Demeanor for something like this and glare at your opponents' pokemon:
Maxus wrote:Overwhelming presence
Benefit: Stare Down: If you make eye contact with someone, as a standard action you can project your confidence in your own might. The target rolls d20 + BAB vs a DC of 10 + 1/2 level + 1/2 your BAB or be shaken for 1d4 rounds.

This is a [Mind-Affecting] [Fear] Effect, and you can't hide or sneak when doing this. Once a target has saved against this, they are immune to it for 24 hours. If a target fails successive saves, the effect does not intensify, the duration of the effects are just renewed.

+1: Being so scary yourself, you get a +3 insight to resist being intimidated and, if you successfully resist, can use Stare Down as a free action. Also, by taking a full-round action, you can make Stare Down inflict Fear, as per the spell, when the target fails the check.
but rejiggered to use your intimidate check and actually having level 3 onwards effects as well.

Prak: What's your stance on crafting?

Also, since we don't have any reason not to slap Magebred onto every Pokemon, how many Magebred ones can we start with?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Criminal goons and powerful wild enemies like legendaries are not going to respect league rules, so you can go all-out on them. Having a trainer who excels at those situations could certainly be useful for the group. Even if you don't want to take any feats or such that are directly useful for trainer battles, there's always aid another!

Magebred only can be used on animal types. You can't slap it on everything because most Pokemon that you want probably aren't animals. If you want Team Wolf then you might as well throw Magebred around like it's candy, but that really only promotes them to be competitive with things like Meditite or Happiny who come with very powerful attacks or special abilities out of the box.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

What's a good source for monsters outside of the SRD?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Pixels wrote:Magebred only can be used on animal types. You can't slap it on everything because most Pokemon that you want probably aren't animals. If you want Team Wolf then you might as well throw Magebred around like it's candy, but that really only promotes them to be competitive with things like Meditite or Happiny who come with very powerful attacks or special abilities out of the box.
Didn't notice the 'living animal' clause. Thanks.
Mask_De_H wrote:What's a good source for monsters outside of the SRD?
These are the ones I'm familiar with:
3.5 Monster Finder
Wiki Pokedex
Moar Pokeymans
Homebrew monsters
Pathfinder Monsters
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, apparently I didn't actually hit post on my response to the crafting question. I'm going to use xp, but basically XP you gain gives you a crafting pool which you spend to craft, rather than your advancement xp.

I put up some pokeballs on the wiki page so far, but the prices are prelim. Don't go off of those just yet.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

radthemad4 wrote:If you want Kentaro's actions to help out his Corollax while keeping his character more or less intact, you could maybe swap out Dreadful Demeanor for something like this and glare at your opponents' pokemon:
I kinda figured that Intimidation and Fear effects counted as a form of attack, and thus wasn't allowed in gym battles. Otherwise Kentaro can make 3 Intimidate attempts/round (1 standard, 1 move, 1 free), and thus potentially bring an opponent directly to panicked, or just cast scare or cause fear on some fools and is totally fine.
Pixels wrote:Even if you don't want to take any feats or such that are directly useful for trainer battles, there's always aid another!
Wouldn't that require stepping into the battle directly, since it requires being in melee/next to whoever you're aiding? I have no problem with doing it, I just didn't think it was allowed.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:
radthemad4 wrote:If you want Kentaro's actions to help out his Corollax while keeping his character more or less intact, you could maybe swap out Dreadful Demeanor for something like this and glare at your opponents' pokemon:
I kinda figured that Intimidation and Fear effects counted as a form of attack, and thus wasn't allowed in gym battles. Otherwise Kentaro can make 3 Intimidate attempts/round (1 standard, 1 move, 1 free), and thus potentially bring an opponent directly to panicked, or just cast scare or cause fear on some fools and is totally fine.
While I think intimidating should be okay, running next to your opponent's pokemon would probably be frowned upon in official matches. I doubt spells and spell like abilities like cause fear are okay to use on your opponent's pokemon though.
Prak wrote:So, apparently I didn't actually hit post on my response to the crafting question. I'm going to use xp, but basically XP you gain gives you a crafting pool which you spend to craft, rather than your advancement xp.
Cool. I'll probably take Master Craftsman 3 levels from now and accumulate experience till then.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, I'm going to say that trash talking and glaring and thousand-yard staring the opponent and his pokemon are totally allowed, and that if you intimidate your opponent so hard that they lose actions, that's not against league rules.

If I were writing for WotC, I'd probably have to write a feat to let people intimidate at range. Fortunately I'm not, and I can just say that Intimidate has a 10' range increment.

Just in case it needs to be said, since we have a crafter, the Eberron crafting feats were errata'd to be taken once only.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Prak wrote:If I were writing for WotC, I'd probably have to write a feat to let people intimidate at range. Fortunately I'm not, and I can just say that Intimidate has a 10' range increment.
At the risk of destroying any remaining chance of you getting to join WotC, could you get rid of the size based component in Intimidation?
Prak wrote:Just in case it needs to be said, since we have a crafter, the Eberron crafting feats were errata'd to be taken once only.
Noted. Checking the craft DC's, if I take Motivate Intelligence as a Minor Aura, I should be able to craft pretty much anything without any ranks upto DC 20 (+3 Int bonus +2 Masterwork Artisan's Tool +5 Minor Aura + 10 Taking 10).

Can I assume all my mundane inventory (except for the Masterwork Artisan's tools) is self crafted if I take Motivate Intelligence as a minor aura? Same question for other party members' starting swag.

Do Pokeballs cost XP to produce?

Could I ignore the 'must be a spellcaster' requirement for Crafting (Alchemy)?

Magebred gives the option of taking Endurance as a bonus feat. Could I use it to take this version?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

radthemad4 wrote:
Prak wrote:If I were writing for WotC, I'd probably have to write a feat to let people intimidate at range. Fortunately I'm not, and I can just say that Intimidate has a 10' range increment.
At the risk of destroying any remaining chance of you getting to join WotC, could you get rid of the size based component in Intimidation?
You mean the thing where you get +4 for being bigger than your target? I don't really see any reason to get rid of that.
Prak wrote:Just in case it needs to be said, since we have a crafter, the Eberron crafting feats were errata'd to be taken once only.
Noted. Checking the craft DC's, if I take Motivate Intelligence as a Minor Aura, I should be able to craft pretty much anything without any ranks upto DC 20 (+3 Int bonus +2 Masterwork Artisan's Tool +5 Minor Aura + 10 Taking 10).

Can I assume all my mundane inventory (except for the Masterwork Artisan's tools) is self crafted if I take Motivate Intelligence as a minor aura? Same question for other party members' starting swag.
Sure.
Do Pokeballs cost XP to produce?
Yes, they cost 2 craft xp each. Notably, given that I generally say that npcs accumulate 1000xp per year just living and doing their trade, this means that an average magic crafter can make 500 pokeballs a year. Except that they can only make one a day (unless I houserule that).
Could I ignore the 'must be a spellcaster' requirement for Crafting (Alchemy)?
Yes.
Magebred gives the option of taking Endurance as a bonus feat. Could I use it to take this version?
Sure.
Last edited by Prak on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Prak wrote:You mean the thing where you get +4 for being bigger than your target? I don't really see any reason to get rid of that.
I think rad's referring to how big the size bonuses/penalties can get on Intimidate. It's +4 per size category bigger and -4 per size category smaller.

Replaced Dreadful Demeanor with Marshall, because +Cha to Cha-based checks and +1 to AC is nice for me and the party (rad has motivate Dex and motivate Int, which are nice too). I lose +3 to Intimidate checks and 1 Intimidate attempt/round (still have up to 2/round) in exchange for +Cha mod (currently +5, +6 next level) to Intimidate and all other Cha-based checks. That last part is the really nice thing for a face character. The extra move action is also nice for a lesser phantom creature that uses move actions to go corporeal/incorporeal.

Anyhow, all I need is to figure out languages and Kentaro's done. What are the automatic and bonus languages for a Kitsune from Kara-Tur? I seriously have no fucking clue how FR languages work.

I could've sworn I posted all this yesterday. Oh well.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

The intimidate thing feels a bit weird as an tiny creature can become obscenely powerful via class levels. However, looking at the monster finder, there aren't too many pint sized powerhouses so I suppose it's reasonable. 4 per size difference seems a bit much though. Would it be okay if Child Necromancers can intimidate as a creature one size larger?

A cloak of charisma +1 sounds awesome. However, it won't actually do anything till next level. Are we likely to be able to buy one upon level up? If not, I'll go for one of those now as I don't really 'need' a handy haversack.

Can I take PF's Keep Watch as my Feytouched SLA (any 1st level enchantment or illusion sorc/wiz spell) for extra downtime?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

small but powerful creatures and characters compensate by having ranks of Intimidate. It's honestly rare for giant monsters to have ranks of Intimidate.

I'll say that characters can make a "Show of Power" (use a level appropriate ability) to intimidate as a creature one size larger against creature 4 or more levels lower. Alternatively, a creature under their control can use one of it's powers, basically the character saying "Fuck off, or my dragon will eat you."

Keep watch is fine.
Last edited by Prak on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.