[Tome] Dungeons and Druddigons Adamant Version

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

No, I would go the other way. In the games, a badge increases your control level (because there's no trainer level) and allows you to use a field move outside of combat. Field moves are handled by a single feat, and there's no good way to say "pokemon can't use this field move unless you have a certain badge" in an RPG. In the video games, gym leaders hand you their signature TM because you impressed them, but I would say that beating the membership challenge bestows upon you the basic, non-magical badge, and you get the knowledge of the gym's signature technique (ie, the moves), and then the Master badge has the major magical effect.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Griffinsummoner
1st Level

Post by Griffinsummoner »

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Because the intermediate level is what the game's trainer would get, but the trainer isn't dedicating themselves to the particular gym, so they don't get the bonus effect.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'm cool with Pixels' suggested route.

Can we use Pathfinder's magic item crafting system (with virtual XP costs as well)?

In PF, magic item creation uses a Spellcraft check that you can take 10 on. The DC to craft something is 5 + caster level of the item + 5 for every requirement you don't meet (e.g. a spell, being a gnome, whatever else). Caster level isn't a requirement, but just adds to the DC. The crafting feat is still necessary.

If yes, I'll probably take the bloodline now and Bag full of Knick Knacks at 6th level.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Prak wrote:Yeah, I'm honestly surprised there isn't a gryphon-based pokemon with a stupid name like Eagalion. I can double check on Undermountain, I may have mistyped.
Ok, yes, Undermountain is beneath Waterdeep.

Can we get a consensus as to where people want to start? I'm aiming at being able to at least start the IC thread tomorrow, but I need to know where people want to start.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Griffinsummoner
1st Level

I'm good with the plan of starting near, or heading toward, Hellgate Keep first. However, if you have somewhere you want to put Mt Armory and then start closer to there, heading toward Hellgate to pick up some experience.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If everyone else can agree to a plan, I'll agree to it.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I also agree to agree.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, it's up to Pixels and Griffinsummoner it seems.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Pixels wrote:My personal preference is to start at Hellgate Keep, knock out the nearby gyms of Silverymoon, Mithral Hall, and Griffon's Nest, then follow the Surbin and Dessarin south to Waterdeep/Undermountain, and finally take the Sword Coast up past Neverwinter to Icewind Dale.

I'd also be fine with starting at Waterdeep, but I suspect Undermountain will be difficult to tackle at the very start of the run.
Griffinsummoner wrote:I'm good with the plan of starting near, or heading toward, Hellgate Keep first. However, if you have somewhere you want to put Mt Armory and then start closer to there, heading toward Hellgate to pick up some experience.
So... At or Near Hellgate Keep? I'll throw in a vote for Near.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

No objections here. Hellgate Keep was my preferred starting location.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

And it looks like Mask and Ogrebattle are still interested in playing. But we can at least get things started, I think.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Yeah, they can probably be retconned in smoothly enough.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Are Psionics considered separate from magic for Knowledge and Spell/Psicraft purposes?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

No, I'm going to consider psionics just another form of magic.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I started an IC thread so the party can start interacting, and the game can start. You're starting out in a small river-port town in High Forest.

Also I'm going to just say that fire-type pokemon are at least immune to mundane fire, since even flareon is supposed to have a body temp of 1600 degrees.
Last edited by Prak on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griffinsummoner
1st Level

Well, I imagine most of them would have the [Fire] subtype, which would make them immune to fire anyway, right?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

D&D elemental subtypes interact weirdly with Pokemon Types. Like [D&D Fire] makes a creature vulnerable to cold damage, while [Pokemon Fire] takes half damage from ice.

So you get weird things like fire creatures that are pokemon taking half damage from ice attacks from other pokemon, but double damage from environmental and magical ice. Which isn't necessarily incorrect... but it does lead to stuff where, like above, I have to specify whether something is D&D Fire or Pokemon Fire.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I take it that the rest of the party knows that Kentaro is a Kitsune. Does everyone know his alignment and/or his goals? This is as much a question to the other players as much as it is to Prak. It's important to know for roleplaying my character.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

What does the party need, character/pokemon wise?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Griffinsummoner
1st Level

Maybe not the alignment, but his goals of power-acquisition are likely known. I imagine we learned a lot about each other's abilities in the Mt Armory story.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That is up to you guys.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:I take it that the rest of the party knows that Kentaro is a Kitsune. Does everyone know his alignment and/or his goals? This is as much a question to the other players as much as it is to Prak. It's important to know for roleplaying my character.
My character would probably know due to having an Abra, but he wouldn't object to them or go around telling everyone else. Luca (Pixels' character) is neutral so I don't think he'd object either. I don't know about the others.

I don't think it's illegal to be a Kitsune, but it's probably best if people don't know you're a shapeshifter, or they might get suspicious when crime sprees happen around you and no one recognizes the perpetrator and/or lots of people claim to have been framed. It'd probably make Kentaro's life easier if his party members are in on it.
Mask_De_H wrote:What does the party need, character/pokemon wise?
Not entirely sure. Do you have any particular preferences? What parts of your character have you nailed down?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Won't have the time to keep up with this game but will be watchin'
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Griffinsummoner wrote:Maybe not the alignment, but his goals of power-acquisition are likely known. I imagine we learned a lot about each other's abilities in the Mt Armory story.
Seems legit. Kentaro would definitely say he wants to take on the League, and might even say he wants to topple it if he thinks the rest of the party's down with that.
radthemad4 wrote:My character would probably know due to having an Abra, but he wouldn't object to them or go around telling everyone else. Luca (Pixels' character) is neutral so I don't think he'd object either. I don't know about the others.
I think Luca also wouldn't object (at least to the overthrow of the League) on the grounds that he wants to make the Champion answer for their experimentations on him (according to the backstory on his character sheet.)
I don't think it's illegal to be a Kitsune, but it's probably best if people don't know you're a shapeshifter, or they might get suspicious when crime sprees happen around you and no one recognizes the perpetrator and/or lots of people claim to have been framed.
I figured Kentaro would tell NPCs that he's just a little halfling boy, as his default humanoid appearance most resembles. He has fucktons of Bluff and Disguise for that exact purpose.
It'd probably make Kentaro's life easier if his party members are in on it.
Agreed.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Yeah, Luca is absolutely for overthrowing the League. He believes the current system is corrupt, or at least propping up corrupt leaders. He's not into the mustache-twirling villainy, but knocking it all down is the best way to ensure the rot is exposed.